Australia Australia - Sydney, Royal Nat Park, poss AsianMale 25-40, bones in checkered shopping bag, Sep'18

There is an article in The Daily Telegraph today which I can't link as it is paywalled about missing man Nick Veljanovski, whose car was found at the Royal National Park a few years back. His mum is now battling cancer and is desperate for answers. I wonder if it is Nick?
I thought about that too, since he went missing so close. I feel for all the families that are waiting for info about their sons :(

I think the main difference here is that Nicole Cartwright was discovered very quickly after death and in possession of her opal card- meaning that cctv footage of her from railway stations/bus stops was still easily available, as her opal card had tracked her movements. The remains in the Royal National Park were old, skeletal remains, with no id, and definitely no cctv. The identification of his body will hopefully be done via dna, but that can take a while. Fingers crossed he gets his name back very soon.

Yes, your absolutely right. I hope they are able to obtain DNA. Perhaps the bones or the teeth? Also there's a possibility they may retrieve fingerprints of the perp from the plastic bags. Let's hope his identity is found soon, and he can be laid to rest...

Oops, don't know how I did that!!!
The police are searching for more: wonder if that is standard practice, or if they need more for id. :(
Forensic police return to Royal National Park in search of more bones

I imagine it’s standard practice - they are running dental etc, but for the family’s sake, & for further evidence, I would think they’d revist the site to garnish any missing bones & additional facts? I’m just imagining so Moo. Has anyone heard more about this missing man? gosh I hope he is reunited with his family soon... to have a loved one missing must be soul breaking

This has gone very quiet. I hope there are answers soon and a family has some sort of peace :(
True. it's very quiet. I hope there is some conclusion soon. I still get the willies about Matt Leverson killer, when i think of this case...

I was just thinking about those bones the other day and wondering what was happening.
I did think that maybe I had missed something and they were identified, but then realised I was getting mixed up with another case.

Some poor family, or friends is missing that person, or maybe they don't even realise they are missing and think they're somewhere living their life.

It's almost 2 years now since the bones were found.

Police have released the likely description of a man whose bones were found in the Royal National Park, south of Sydney, two years ago.

The bones were discovered by a member of the public shortly before 4.45pm on September 22, 2018, and police were called.

Police closer to solving human bones mystery
DNA testing determined the man was about 175cm tall and aged between 25 and 40 at the time of his death.

There’s a “high probability” the man was of Asian descent, with brown eyes and black hair.

He died sometime between 1985 to 2005, according to bomb pulse carbon dating tests which were undertaken by the University of Waikato, New Zealand.

:eek: that may place the victim in my age group, racial group, and found near my neck of woods.

I suppose they have to do so much testing because no known missing person has been ID'd.

That long ago. .. It is one ancient cold case too.

We were on to something before, about that "Hong Kong shopper" bag..

Last edited:
DNA technology used to identify human remains found two years ago

Police one step closer to unlocking mystery behind unidentified bones found two years ago

"This was a person who was walking around with likes in food, music, someone's son, someone's friend or associate and that's why we're here, to identify that person and work out what happened to that person." Bomb pulse carbon dating tests were then undertaken by the University of Waikato, New Zealand, revealing the man died sometime between 1985 to 2005.

Police were then able to cross check the appearance with 565 men identified as long term missing persons. Detectives are now tasked with locating families to obtain DNA samples for comparison, which police believe will be the key to solving the mystery.

"We're here to appeal to people who may not have reported their loved on missing because we still haven't identified the remains," Det. Supt Doherty said. "It has been a hugely collaborative effort with our partnering agencies to get us to this point, where we know the likely age, ethnicity and select details of this man's physical description.

"We realise that we are casting a broad net in relation to identifying this man, but we would strongly encourage anyone who has a loved one that is missing that fits this description to contact police."

Police have been unable to determine how the man died however the circumstances are being treated as suspicious.

Last edited:
https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...k/news-story/b94924c1ee2d604458408359ea076b7d

n a bid to narrow the pool of potential victims, NSW Police and Pathology have turned to DNA phenotyping - a scarcely used technique that can determine a person’s ancestry, hair and eye colour from a DNA profile.

Phenotyping has only been used in 10 forensic cases in NSW.

Forensic Evidence & Technical Services Command Dr Jennifer Raymond said phenotyping as a “niche technique” that is used as a last resort after other DNA testing.

That includes comparing DNA profiles against databases, like the National Criminal Investigation DNA Database

“Where we go through all our current methods that are available to us and if we still don’t have a result there, that’s when we apply these novel techniques,” she said.

In this case, the testing, which can take up to five days after a profile is extracted from bones, suggested the victim was of Asian descent with brown eyes and black hair.

The description has allowed police to come up with a list of potential victims from the long-term missing person list in NSW.

Supt Doherty said the Missing Persons Registry came up with a list of 565 cases and that was eventually narrowed down to 20 or 30 missing men.

Police are speaking with the families of those people in the hope of obtaining DNA samples to compare against the Royal National Park victim.

“We are hopeful we can get a match, some DNA from the family but if we don’t we are back to square one,” Supt Doherty said.

“Then we have to look at someone who hasn’t been reported missing yet or we may have to go overseas to a broader database.”

He appealed for anyone with a missing loved one who might fit the criteria but who hadn’t been reported missing to contact police.

I think they've added to the article ?

Stuart Dohn's name has been removed from the thread title. As we don't have time right now to review the thread to see where the confusion started, would someone please Report on all posts that may have caused confusion in the discussion and we'll remove them.

Thank you !! :)

ETA: Thanks to SouthAussie for reporting the relevant posts which have now been removed.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back