Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by shadowangel, Jul 9, 2008.

1. newfiedee

newfiedee Former Member

If they think that the sommerton man is thomas keane because thats the name on some of his items , they also think hes a spy, which i doubt he would use his real name so T.Keane is an alias obviously

petedavo.au likes this.

2. Xlamb

Xlamb New Member

Hello newfiedee... You've sent my head in a spin with these pics and these same name connection for Vainonen. Certainly Eetu Vainonen from doe network has SM merit in that he's a genuine missing person and he's close to suspected SM age, but there's no DNA available for either individual to allow comparisons unfortunately. You also have 2 others by same name Timo Vainonen, different ages / persons... Perhaps they're related and it's worth your digging further. The post with 3 pics comparison show a definite SM likeness for Timo in later life. It's a puzzle for sure.
    Derek has said the same to me (it's not him) regarding a photo of an unidentified lad, a possible Robin Thomson, taken back in 1963 The lad is standing on a Jetty with myself and family members and comparisons posted on Websleuths (with help from Makara).
    DA's instant dismissals didn't stop me submitting the photo to Major Crime for follow up though. So don't you allow DA's opinion to disrupt your research either. It's your time and effort after all... and no-one owns SM! It may be worth checking further with Doe network, and wouldn't it be a funny twist if instead of SM you found what became of Eetu Vainonen instead.

3. Makara

Makara Former Member

Jacinta, when were these letters written? Do they have a date on them?

4. newfiedee

newfiedee Former Member

I have submitted it to the doe network and also emailed the Timo guy hoping to get some answers that way. maybe he is part of that line and we can het some dna. At least to rule him out , they have a son of a woman that Sm is said to have fathered , they are searching for sm in virginia cause apparantly the son robin's dna has mad hits in Virgina , i see that Vainonen is a name found there to and some in different variations of the name , if anyone would like to help with this , we can try to solve it as a team,

5. Jacinta

Jacinta New Member

All the letters have dates and the timeframe is
    1947-48. 50 or so are in perfect order. 8 them
    have been stuck together by water damage.

6. newfiedee

newfiedee Former Member

Jacinta, im new to the thread im looking to find what it is the letters are you are refering to can you give me a small explaination of the importants of the letetrs

7. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

50?! That's a lot of letters, are they all to the same person?

Do you mind me asking how you got hold of them? Are you related to Jestyn/Jessica/Jessie/Jo (!) or the recipient?

8. Makara

Makara Former Member

It would be interesting to know if the early letters were written before Alison Verco married Arnold Bean in April of 1947 in Malaya. Do the letters indicate that they were posted from Kuala Lumpur?

Interestingly Alison Bean, nee Verco died in July 1949 in Adelaide. She seems to have been quite a social butterfly both prior to and after her marriage, yet her death notice was short and succinct.

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954) Fri 11 Apr 1947 Page 10

Married Today In Malaya
    A wedding of great interest to South Australians is that of Margaret Alison
    Verco, second daughter of the late Dr. and Mrs. W. A. Verco, formerly of Molesworth
    street North Adelaide, with Arnold Bean, of Norwich, Norfolk, England. The marriage
    will take place today Kuala Lumpur. Federated Malay States. Mr. Bean is Chief
    Inspector of Mines in Malaya.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...erco"&searchLimits=l-advstate=South+Australia

Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954) Thu 7 Jul 1949 Page 42

BEAN.- On July 5, Margaret Alison, beloved wife of Arnold Bean, of 2 Palm
    St.. Medindie.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...||sortby=dateDesc|||l-category=Family+Notices

I don't necessarily see any connection to the death of the Somerton Man here. Just posting what I've found in regard to Jacinta's mention of the letters in her possession and the alleged author of those letters.

9. Makara

Makara Former Member

So who is Evelyn Scarfe? Is she the addresser or the addressee of these letters?

10. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

:bump:

11. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Glad to see this thread reopened. Now, where were we?

12. ElisaAnn

ElisaAnn Member

This case has intrigued for sometime I hope they can solve it!!!! Looking forward to updates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Boston Scientist

Boston Scientist New Member

There is an explanation that ought to be considered. The dead ballet dancer had a homosexual tryst with a military man, who immediately regretted it and killed his lover rather than come out. My hypothesis is that the ballet dancer intended to take the other trip, but met a charming man who promised a weekend of seclusion. The military man may have been some special category of killer with access to poisons. The military man may have been on his way to his own wedding, making this gay weekend likely his last opportunity (and maybe also his first). The military man regretted his decision somewhere along the way and killed his lover.

14. I.Care_I.Give.A.Damn

I.Care_I.Give.A.Damn New Member

There are too many connections to the woman with the book for this to be random. Including the likely hood that he fathered her son, Robin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. ad rem

ad rem Member

Re: the five lines of supposed code made clearer under ultraviolet light. Someone simply used the book as a writing backboard for when trying to solve a newspaper word puzzle?

16. LadyN

LadyN Member

There is a very in-depth article on this case in the March issue of "Fortean Times" magazine. It includes lots of pictures - not sure if there is any new information in it (I haven't read the full thread, so don't know all the available details).

I've tried to post some pictures, but I can't seem to upload them. The magazine should be in the shops in the next few days.

17. LadyN

LadyN Member

18. ad rem

ad rem Member

George Marshall (d. May 1945)
    Born: Joseph Saul Haim Marshal. Found laying deceased in Ashton Park on Sydney harbor. Likely poisoned. Possible suicide. Rubaiyat book found with him. Jessica nee Harkness (trainee nurse) resides and works in Sydney.

Gwenneth Dorothy Graham (d. June 1945)
    Testified at inquest into death of George Marshall. Found dead, face down, naked, in bathtub at her Sydney residence. Wrists slit. Primary cause of death given as drowning. Report by man who accompanied Ms. Graham into her home that night. He stated Ms Graham went into bathroom and he waited for her but she never came out alive.

Alf Boxall (August 1945)
    Meets in company with Jessica nee Harkness (trainee nurse), over drinks, at Clifton Gardens adjacent to Ashton Park, Sydney. Is given a Rubaiyat book signed by her. Boxall also resides in Sydney at the time.

unknown man (d. November - December 1948)
    Found laying deceased on Somerton Beach, Glenelg. Likely poisoned. Later found in his clothing is Rubaiyat book excerpt. Jessica nee Harkness (nurse) now resides about 1,300ft (400 metres) nearby having relocated interstate, from Sydney.

Mangnoson (d. June 1949)
    Keith and son, Clive, missing 4 days. Largs Bay 12 miles (20 kilometres) from Somerton Beach. Son found dead in a sack. Cause of death unknown. Determined to be not natural death. Stomach contents sent for further analysis. Father found unconscious, nearby, sent to Parkside Mental Hospital. Jessica nee Harkness (nurse) still resides in nearby Glenelg and at some stage works at mental hospital. According to Ms Roma Mangnoson, her husband believed the "unknown man" to be Carl Thompsen with whom he had worked in Renmark, 1939.

petedavo.au likes this.
  19. ad rem

ad rem Member

New angle. Jessica nee Harkness was a petite and pretty nurse during wartime. Said to be a free spirit. Pregnant outside of marriage. Moves in with a petty criminal finalizing his divorce. Eventually marries him. What sort of gentleman would suspect her of having something to hide in plain view?

20. LkjAndersen

LkjAndersen New Member

petedavo.au likes this.