Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by shadowangel, Jul 9, 2008.

1. flute4peace

flute4peace Well-Known Member

Fair enough. My comment was referring to the fact that ballet was even part of discussion on the case, not trying to say he was for sure a dancer. I didn’t make that clear.

dotr, Laughing, DRT and 2 others like this.

2. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Kemug, Laughing, DRT and 4 others like this.
  3. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

May 22, 2021
    'Good condition' of Somerton man remains give investigators fresh hope
    "The bones were in fact in good condition when they were recovered, and we do actually already have hair samples of the man from a museum, and at Adelaide University.
    "We have extracted DNA from them. We've got all the DNA from his mother's side, for example, but it's not enough. It's not the type of DNA we need for an investigation. But it shows that there is DNA to be had there."
    Proff Abbott said extracting DNA from the man's bones is a "different ball game from normal DNA extraction".
    "Normally, in a crime scene, when you want to watch DNA between a suspected criminal and some DNA at the crime scene, you use something like 23 markers," he said.
    "In this case, we use something like 800,000 markers it's completely different. It's not a crime-scene type deal.
    "What one does, is one compares it with DNA on what's called genealogical websites not crime databases."

[​IMG]
    Somerton Man: The Facts (9News)

madamx, Beagle, Laughing and 9 others like this.
  4. Kemug

Kemug Well-Known Member

Probably not, it's been too long.

Ajaygee11, DRT and dotr like this.
  5. TootsieFootsie

I was thinking more along the line that there could very well be someone who was later told what happened but because of whatever reason have kept it to themselves. They don't need to have even been alive at the time.

madamx, Laughing, Ajaygee11 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kemug

Kemug Well-Known Member

Well, maybe. We can hope.

7. TootsieFootsie

The Somerton man died alone on a beach in 1948. Now Australian scientists are close to solving the mystery

The children know the man whose portrait hangs above their playroom door as Mister S or Mister Somerton.

His real name remains a mystery more than 70 years after he was found dead in a smart brown suit on an Australian beach, a half-smoked cigarette resting on his collar.

The kids assume he's a distant relative, but he could just be a stranger whose story has fascinated their father for more than a decade.

University of Adelaide professor Derek Abbott first heard about the Somerton man in 1995, and has spent several years campaigning for his body to be exhumed so scientists can analyze his DNA to determine his identity.

madamx, Beagle, Ajaygee11 and 9 others like this.
  8. tarabull

tarabull Life is a puzzle.

9. Natasha Mullins

Natasha Mullins Active Member

DRT, Laughing, madamx and 7 others like this.
  10. Rush4087

Rush4087 Well-Known Member

I think you might be on the wrong thread. Why do you write “Jack Lovelock? as if somebody on this thread or somebody in LE or somebody in MSM has recently even suggested that name. Or as if that name has been discussed here before in the context of this case?. Because it hasn’t. You must be getting info from disallowed sources. Please explain.

In fact, the name Jack Lovelock has never been mentioned on this thread. So again, mentioning his name without further explanation leads readers to believe that some LE or MSM source has just recently brought up his name - when they haven’t.

Are you trying to disrupt the thread and get others to sleuth someone for you? Or are you trying to intentionally send the thread down your personal rabbit hole? Please explain who Jack Lovelock is and why you think he could be the Somerton man - otherwise I respectfully request that you consider not posting about him here without the necessary msm or LE links/sources and any reasons why you think he might fit. The Somerton man died in AU over a year before Lovelock died in a NYC subway station. Feel free to share your thoughts! Thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Kemug, Warwick1991 and TootsieFootsie like this.
  11. FOXINBOX

FOXINBOX Well-Known Member

If you read my other posts on Websleuths, you will see I am not a troll, nor had I any mischief in mind when I mentioned Lovelock., although I admit it was humorous. I just quoted a conspiracy theory, very much like the "Paul-Macartney-is-dead-and-the-one-we-see-now-is-his-double" that I believed was much more widespread than in reality. I apologise if I upset anyone.

madamx likes this.
  12. FOXINBOX

FOXINBOX Well-Known Member

Having recently been on the Zodiac thread, where someone has suggested that the murders were committed by Charles Manson followers making snuff movies...I'm not sure why my post here has ruffled feathers. If you compare photographs of Lovelock with the plaster bust, and the fact that Somerton Man was in such magnificent physical condition, it is easy to see how a conspiracy could start, especially as both would be in the news at that time. Again I apologize, but really, I did nothing to warrant such accusations.

leehull, Kemug and madamx like this.
  13. Doeologist

Doeologist Well-Known Member

"Mmmmm I wonder if he was Russian
    Always been in the back of my mind for some inexplicable reason and moreso now !"

He had First Nations DNA. It's not impossible to also be Russian but, without some proven cross fertilization, I'd rule out Russian suspects as I'd rule out the Scandinavian ones too.

Regarind the ballet, Rachel Egan's DNA test, if reliable, proves TSM is a close cousin match of Julian Randolph Pleasants and his mother, Mary Josephine Mathias, is listed as an amateur ballet dancer.

The Democratic advocate. [volume] (Westminster, Md.) 1865-1972, January 27, 1900, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress (loc.gov)

Kemug, nao, dotr and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mbt

Mbt Active Member

What evidence is there that he had First Nations DNA?

Kemug, DRT, dotr and 3 others like this.
  15. Doeologist

Kemug, GirlMarlowe, nao and 3 others like this.
  16. snowgoose

snowgoose Well-Known Member

That article is from before he was exhumed for DNA analysis, they're saying that Robin Thomson's DNA shows that his father had Native American ancestry. It's theorised that his father was the Somerton Man, but not confirmed.

marv hucker, Kemug, DRT and 5 others like this.
  17. Bethan

Bethan Well-Known Member

The headline of this 2016 Buzzfeed News article is a bit misleading.

The Somerton Man had not been exhumed at this point.

The DNA being discussed in the above article is the paternal line of Rachel Egan, who is now married to the University of Adelaide professor Derrick Abbott ( who has been seeking the identity of the unidentified man for many years.)

Rachel Egan is the daughter of Robert Thompson ( now deceased) who is thought to be the son of the Somerton Man due to having the same 2 very distinctive facial features ( of ears & teeth)

Comparison of an incomplete DNA sequence extracted from strands of hair ( which was presumed to be from the Somerton Man as retrieved from the plaster bust) have not matched the DNA of Rachel Egan.

As yet I don’t think DNA has been extracted from the exhumed body, which had been embalmed, though correct me if I’ve missed this information.

Let’s hope this process is successful & eventually the mystery is solved!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Kemug, GirlMarlowe, dotr and 6 others like this.
  18. Bethan

Bethan Well-Known Member

Sorry snowgoose, I missed your post, in which you have made the same point, but put more succinctly!

( I am getting a lot of glitches on the site this morning)

Kemug, dotr and snowgoose like this.
  19. Doeologist

I read the test results against the strands of hair were inconclusive. If Rachel is his granddaughter (odds are she is), then the direct DNA match on the Somerton Man will result in the same Family Trees.

The only difference is that you'll have a refined determination of the degree of familial match that's could be somewhat better that a general 1st to 2nd cousin match or equivalent to professor Julian Randolph Pleasants. If the equivalent is basically the same, then you're just confirming you had the right family tree and the right branches were looked at.

P.S. Professor Pleasants' mother was listed as a ballet dancer in a local ball, which I believe was a costume ball, so I'm not saying she or TSM or any of her brothers or relatives were ballet dancers.

Kemug, GirlMarlowe, nao and 2 others like this.
  20. Victoria Chambers

Victoria Chambers Well-Known Member

Anybody think that SM could be the much documented 'Nowhere Man' aka Everett Ruess, author, poet, artist. American who was fluent in Navajo. Son of a Unitarian Minister and a dancer/artist. Everett vanished in 1934 aged 20yrs. Everett dreamt of travelling the world and was something of an avid explorer. His poems read as though they were written for/by SM regarding his death and place of. Everett created some beautiful wood carvings, block stencils and clay modelling. Very intriguing character who has been the focus of films, documentaries, songs etc. Everett amassed a vast volume of biographical journals of his travels. The cave carvings of NEMO 1934 are attributed to Everett. The resemblance to SM, I think is as good as any. Images in circulation do show Everett to have similar features to those we see in SM ie teeth and ears! I think they could be 1 and the same person. Has this ever been considered before?

Kemug, nao, dotr and 3 others like this.