Australia Australia - Tanja Ebert, 23, Roseworthy, SA, 8 Aug 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-revealed.html

'It is believed etc'.....

Believed by whom?...... so far, any stories about Tanja come from the now dead husband. Naturally, he is going to embellish a bit on the theme of 'she was agitated' to 'she got out of the car ' to ' she walked off near the grain silos' at Roseworthy'.. to.. '' she was going to NSW".....( probably when it was pointed out to him that she hadn't taken her passport) ....

No one is obligated to take on a single statement the police report he made. Not even the police are obligated to, they of course, act upon it, hence the search at Roseworthy, the police horses on the road etc, but mainly for purposes of elimination of parts of his very short story. Police say they questioned him 'intensively ' during the morning... now.... I don't know what 'intensively' consists of amongst the South Australian Police on an investigation out there in the Never-never but the urgency would have made itself clear to Burdon from the get-go.

But it seems they didn't get very far with him, , or haven't made public most of it, just bits here and there, because the sudden unexpected suicide ended any flow of info and must have put a bit of the wind up those poor Constables, it is reasonable to believe they didn't see that coming. But on the other hand , by the time they got to the property, before they met him in person, or searched the family car etc, either from something he said over the phone, or something the person reporting her disappearance said over the phone, the firm view had been formed among the police that this was a murder, not a missing person event.

And this , according to police, they conveyed to Burdon. Which probably stopped all vague murmurs of her being agitated and wanting to go to NSW and all that. He knew it was game over, but he still held one ace card.

It will take a while for the inescapable fact that he is a murderer to sink in around Mannahill. Denial of that is only the first step in a long process.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-revealed.html

'It is believed etc'.....

Believed by whom?...... so far, any stories about Tanja come from the now dead husband. Naturally, he is going to embellish a bit on the theme of 'she was agitated' to 'she got out of the car ' to ' she walked off near the grain silos' at Roseworthy'.. to.. '' she was going to NSW".....( probably when it was pointed out to him that she hadn't taken her passport) ....

No one is obligated to take on a single statement the police report he made. Not even the police are obligated to, they of course, act upon it, hence the search at Roseworthy, the police horses on the road etc, but mainly for purposes of elimination of parts of his very short story. Police say they questioned him 'intensively ' during the morning... now.... I don't know what 'intensively' consists of amongst the South Australian Police on an investigation out there in the Never-never but the urgency would have made itself clear to Burdon from the get-go.

But it seems they didn't get very far with him, , or haven't made public most of it, just bits here and there, because the sudden unexpected suicide ended any flow of info and must have put a bit of the wind up those poor Constables, it is reasonable to believe they didn't see that coming. But on the other hand , by the time they got to the property, before they met him in person, or searched the family car etc, either from something he said over the phone, or something the person reporting her disappearance said over the phone, the firm view had been formed among the police that this was a murder, not a missing person event.

And this , according to police, they conveyed to Burdon. Which probably stopped all vague murmurs of her being agitated and wanting to go to NSW and all that. He knew it was game over, but he still held one ace card.

It will take a while for the inescapable fact that he is a murderer to sink in around Mannahill. Denial of that is only the first step in a long process.

BBM. It is still believed by some, that killing your spouse it not really murder. Lots of excuses for wife killers. He just snapped, being the most disingenuous of them in my opinion.

I bet that little vignette of sweet family life has turned out to be a complete fabrication on the part of Mr Burdon. .... Mr Burdon 's narrative of your average family guy on a road trip with the trouble and strife and the fiddle de dids.. sure.........
Shades of a certain Brisbane real estate agent of Clay 2012. Mention children, add toys, create diversions, remove focus away from self.
"Bought drinks for his family" How sweet...... Strengthen the family orientated image.
There's a grain of truth in every lie. One might assume that BP Service Station Main North Road, Roseworthy is relevant.

BBM. It is still believed by some, that killing your spouse it not really murder. Lots of excuses for wife killers. He just snapped, being the most disingenuous of them in my opinion.

so true!!.... some even adhere to the strange idea that 'snapping' is normal. And oddly, these wife killers tend to not remain 'snapped'.. that is , they go to the pub for a few beers, they trot off to work, drop in to see the girlfriend, arrange for mum and dad to mind the kids, shear the sheep, feed the dogs, bring the cows in, sort out the banking, you know, normal stuff.... Completely unsnapped.

It will be hard to come to grips with .... to be able to reject the idea of him being a killer, fault has to be found with his victim... there is no other way to deal with it, for now, I expect.

After viewing the Museum video, if that's Tanja playing vigorously with her hair, twisting and patting, this is a sign of anxiety and agitation, maybe she was under duress. Two things come to mind, either she was in trouble with Michael and felt apprehensive about returning home or she was thinking of how to broach the subject of leaving him. If she's holding a puppy, scrap that, but I don't think so, the back of her didn't show the head of a pup. I also don't think visitors could bring animals into a Museum, but I've been wrong before.

I lived on a cattle property for 10 yrs of my childhood, not huge acreage or an arid landscape like Burdon's, but still the isolation is a shock for the system especially if you're city born like I was.
Burdon's expectations were way off the charts and it couldn't have surprised him if Tanja expressed feeling lonely and unhappy. She needed friends and relatives close at hand especially while raising young children.
Burdon should have stuck with a country born woman whose family have lived in those conditions for generations like himself. Too late now sadly, he probably didn't take advice from his mother because I can't believe she didn't warn him.

It's a terrible situation which poor Tanja couldn't have foreseen, who can at 19 yrs of age? Michael obviously was dealing with his own demons and Tanja was chosen to fix him, give him a reason to live, that's a huge responsibility to place on another person especially a teenager! I have no sympathy for him whatsoever! JMO

We don't know if the cattle station Oulnina Park is still in Michael Burdon mother's name since her husband died of cancer. It might not be in Michael Burdon's name at all. We don't know what was happening there.
They might have only been working the property keeping it going, as that was the only life MB knew.

I read somewhere back that she threw herself into the station operation, doing the sheep runs, droving, fence patrol and also doing the books...

She was the station book keeper, probably in constant contact with the station CPA in Adelaide, along with the property's bank, the property's legal reps, on permanent retainer, this is a big outfit with employees, probably a jackaroo or two, a jillaroo... a cook/housekeeper, there would be an field air strip for the flying doctor, the flying vet, various techies....

If his book keeper has gone walkabout , the first person he would ring would be his solicitor, then his bank manager, and what about the money for the running of the property? He said she took it with her.

He would have had to get that re-allocated and sent up by air post, or road truck mail, that money for employees would be crucial, the pub to pay, the fuel bill at the bowser to pay, that's if he believed his own story. I doubt there would be an ATM within 300 klms. ...no internet, hardly any mobile signal..... it would be like living in the 1950's... nothing wrong with that, but it would require adjustment.

It is hard to believe that for 7 days he kept his cool about her absence.... he must have told his bank manager, his solicitor, his mother, the employees, some sort of yarn... I wonder what it was............. what he told the kids, who in god's name knows......

I read somewhere back that she threw herself into the station operation, doing the sheep runs, droving, fence patrol and also doing the books...

She was the station book keeper, probably in constant contact with the station CPA in Adelaide, along with the property's bank, the property's legal reps, on permanent retainer, this is a big outfit with employees, probably a jackaroo or two, a jillaroo... a cook/housekeeper, there would be an field air strip for the flying doctor, the flying vet, various techies....

If his book keeper has gone walkabout , the first person he would ring would be his solicitor, then his bank manager, and what about the money for the running of the property? He said she took it with her.

He would have had to get that re-allocated and sent up by air post, or road truck mail, that money for employees would be crucial, the pub to pay, the fuel bill at the bowser to pay, that's if he believed his own story. I doubt there would be an ATM within 300 klms. ...no internet, hardly any mobile signal..... it would be like living in the 1950's... nothing wrong with that, but it would require adjustment.

It is hard to believe that for 7 days he kept his cool about her absence.... he must have told his bank manager, his solicitor, his mother, the employees, some sort of yarn... I wonder what it was............. what he told the kids, who in god's name knows......

Troops, you're fantastic with explaining the enormity of the situation the killer has placed himself in and his frame of mind. How he was able to perform his daily tasks/duties after murdering and disposing of his wife!

You must write a book about these cases, such an insight into the criminal mind is a shame to waste. :bow:

Oulnina Park is owned by "The Trustee for the Oulnina Park Pastoral Trust". Which is a "discretionary trading trust".

This trust was established in September 2014. Burdon Snr passed away in April 2014.

http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbnHistory.aspx?abn=24407232557

I'm not sure if you can find out from ASIC who the actual Trustee is, they are upgrading their system today.

The Trustee/s have control.

The trustee is the legal owner of the trust property although not the beneficial owner. The trustee carries out all transactions of the trust in its own name and must sign all documents for and on behalf of the trust. The trustee’s overriding duty is to obey the terms of the trust deed and to act in the best interests of the beneficiaries.

A Discretionary Trust indicates that there is more than one beneficiary.

The beneficiaries are the people (including entities) for whose benefit the trustee holds the trust property. A discretionary trust usually has a wide range of beneficiaries, including companies and other trusts. The beneficiaries of a discretionary trust do not have an interest in the assets of the trust. They merely have a right to be considered or a mere expectancy until such time as the trustee exercises its discretion to make a distribution.

A little more about Discretionary Trusts:

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4606/what-is-a-discretionary-trust-and-what-are-the-ben.aspx

Michael Burdon has had his own ABN since 2003, not registering for GST until 2014.

http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbnHistory.aspx?abn=37505563106

Troops, you're fantastic with explaining the enormity of the situation the killer has placed himself in and his frame of mind. How he was able to perform his daily tasks/duties after murdering and disposing of his wife!

You must write a book about these cases, such an insight into the criminal mind is a shame to waste. :bow:

I agree.
But this book could have 3 authors, Trooper, Prime Suspect and They'll get you.
Also a forward by Judge Judi, presenting legal info. on trials.
Imagine the book, seriousness, humor and of course pics, the photographer being Puggle.

Best seller, all websleuthers requiring copies, to read past cases.

Then the movie, with websleuthers as actors. I'll look after the actor;s 'pets' while they are performing.
With Prime Suspect's 'tea skills', doubling up as 'cook' would be required.

the enormity of the situation the killer has placed himself in and his frame of mind. How he was able to perform his daily tasks/duties after murdering and disposing of his wife!

edited by me for brevity :curtsey:

what I meant was.. he couldn't have told his mother that she got out the car and left at Roseworthy with the station operational funds !!.. because Mum would have had to call in the police, since she was the book keeper, and the bank would have had to be notified immediately.

Accountants would have to be flown up, books would have to be flown down, IOU's would have to be issued to the station hands, the ringers, the fencing contractors etc, maybe even shearers but I think its a bit early for that but only by a few weeks... his story to Mum, and the station employees would have been an entirely different thing, he would have to have a solid believable story for the publican, too, because he ( the publican) would have to take the IOU"s in place of cash off Burdon's employees. ..

On the remainder of that long lonely drive home on the Barrier Highway, 2nd loneliest road in the nation, and maybe in the whole world , to the Gunbarrel Highway, he had lots of time to think, assuming the boys slept most of the way.. .. he would have had to sort out a story that held together, on the presumption that he, himself, could hold together.

But somewhere the whole thing collapsed in under it's own hideous weight...

MR Burdon’s mother Marlis, who was also recovering from the death of her former husband Peter three years ago, is believed to be with the surviving children, who will one day be forced to cope with the shocking events that robbed them of their parents.

Looks like Mum and Dad were divorced.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...y/news-story/6e772d090c3f2075d4a390115ede2c39

BURDON, Peter Leslie. Passed away peacefully at home on Oulnina Park Station on April 3, 2014. Aged 68 years. Devoted and beloved father of Michael and Mark (deceased), and cherished by Tanja. Much loved brother and brother-in-law of Helen, Margaret and Peter, and uncle of Anne, Kate and Rachel. Loving stepfather and stepfather-in-law of Deborah, Michelle, Tim and Marcin, and step-grandfather of Finn, Bianca and Kiki.

http://tributes.adelaidenow.com.au/notice/33812017

Seems there may be a few people that benefit from that trust. :thinking:

I would like to know if Tanja did leave, would she even be entitled to any of the property?

MR Burdon’s mother Marlis, who was also recovering from the death of her former husband Peter three years ago, is believed to be with the surviving children, who will one day be forced to cope with the shocking events that robbed them of their parents.

Looks like Mum and Dad were divorced.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...y/news-story/6e772d090c3f2075d4a390115ede2c39

BURDON, Peter Leslie. Passed away peacefully at home on Oulnina Park Station on April 3, 2014. Aged 68 years. Devoted and beloved father of Michael and Mark (deceased), and cherished by Tanja. Much loved brother and brother-in-law of Helen, Margaret and Peter, and uncle of Anne, Kate and Rachel. Loving stepfather and stepfather-in-law of Deborah, Michelle, Tim and Marcin, and step-grandfather of Finn, Bianca and Kiki.

http://tributes.adelaidenow.com.au/notice/33812017

Seems there may be a few people that benefit from that trust. :thinking:

I would like to know if Tanja did leave, would she even be entitled to any of the property?

I think that that is what trusts are for, to keep only the named beneficiaries access to the money. The trust would probably have awarded her a set amount and she would have been able to use the trust funds for the needs of the boys, with the trustees approval.

I think that that is what trusts are for, to keep only the named beneficiaries access to the money. The trust would probably have awarded her a set amount and she would have been able to use the trust funds for the needs of the boys, with the trustees approval.
Yes she would receive an amount attributed for the boys, she would also receive a wage for working on the property.

The question is who is the trustee and who owns the property.

As in my previous post, the Trustee isn't always the owner.

If the father had "step" children, he obviously had another marriage. Was there an alteration to his will whilst in this marriage, was part of the property gained by another estranged wife?

Just many questions in regard to what Tanja would have/could have received if she divorced, and reasons why she could have been killed.

the trust could have been set up for Michael , Tanja, Oscar and the baby, when Oscar was born, perhaps...in lieu of a marriage settlement, perhaps....it seems a few years later the marriage took place...the second baby was born before it.

The publican says Michael was the station owner, and if the publican calls you that, most people would take that info to the bank. The father appears to have taken on the pastoral lease on his own, this taking place after the first son committed suicide and when Michael was the only surviving child of that union, since dissolved, of Peter and Maris..

It doesn't necessarily follow that the fathers nieces and nephews and brothers and sisters were part of the Burdon family trust, at all. I would say the trust was placed in operation due mainly to the age of Tanja. In the event of Michael's death, the sole responsibility would be under some sort of committee oversight until she, Tanja, attained a certain age.

I would think she eventually would have got sole responsibility before the children turned 21, but who knows.. it may have suited her to have a long period of trust management, this would have been discussed with solicitors etc....

Under Au Family Law she would be entitled to 1/2 the estate.. plus childrens expenses etc... I think under the Pastoral Lease Law, she would become a signatory to the lease, by law , upon the marriage . In other words, she is / was the lease holder as well as Micheal is /was.

I wondered if the marriage waited a few years to take place precisely because of the Pastoral Lease law and of AU Family Law in general... it crossed my mind that there could have been a lot of fraught considerations to make, especially in the light of the experience of the father having stepchildren........

Yes she would receive an amount attributed for the boys, she would also receive a wage for working on the property.

The question is who is the trustee and who owns the property.

As in my previous post, the Trustee isn't always the owner.

If the father had "step" children, he obviously had another marriage. Was there an alteration to his will whilst in this marriage, was part of the property gained by another estranged wife?

Just many questions in regard to what Tanja would have/could have received if she divorced, and reasons why she could have been killed.

The trustees would be legal entities with strict instructions about what the trust could be used for. I don't think the owner can be the trustee under the law. The trust takes it out of his legal obligations as a private person. Much like a limited company. You can sue the company but not the individual.

I will have to ask my sister whose best friend is a beneficiary of a trust fund from a family property, which now, none of her family work, they have managers. Big money.
There is also some tax savings. Not taxed at the same rate as workers.

It is possible that the father instigated the trust, being not 100% convinced of Michaels capacity to last the distance in the light of the first son's brief life. The dad may have also believed that at 36 , 37 Michael didn't have the experience or the wisdom which would come in time with an advisory board like the trustees...

The age of Tanja and her inexperience in station management would have been a huge factor if the trust was instigated by the father , as well.. Maybe the dad saw something in the union that concerned him, worried him , particularly if children came into being, he dying before they were born, but he would have foreseen that probability.. perhaps a trust was all he could do, nothing he could speak about but something he sensed about the combination of Michael and Tanja and Oulnina Park. ......

Under Au Family Law she would be entitled to 1/2 the estate.. plus childrens expenses etc... I think under the Pastoral Lease Law, she would become a signatory to the lease, by law , upon the marriage . In other words, she is / was the lease holder as well as Micheal is /was.

I wondered if the marriage waited a few years to take place precisely because of the Pastoral Lease law and of AU Family Law in general... it crossed my mind that there could have been a lot of fraught considerations to make, especially in the light of the experience of the father having stepchildren........

Yes, but his estate would have been his personal belongings and his personal bank account. The trust removes him from ownership of the property. She would not have been entitled to that. There is probably a clause in the trust of how to deal with wives that don't last the distance or wives that need to be divorced. A decent settlement, but not one that puts the property in jeopardy. That is what lawyers are for.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back