Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, 31 May 2019 #4

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by Beagle, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

My guessimate is here as roughly marked in my map below. The red location pin is where I guess is the white building in the Daily Mail photo - apparently the slope to the left was roped off by police.

I was walking right along the path behind that building in Aug 2019. There was no sign of skeletal remains at the time...

MOO and I welcome someone to provide more accurate info!

Attached Files:

Occula, dotr, Iphi and 2 others like this.

2. Guesswork

Guesswork Member

I quite like this idea it kind of makes sense.

I have one question about the misadventure theory you may have an answer for.

Why does he turn his GPS off? Is it because he is dissatisfied with the route it is giving him and he attempts to refresh it? I am curious if anyone has a better reason.

dotr, insanity and Tintenbar like this.
  3. Tintenbar

Tintenbar Active Member

Maybe he also wanted to save his phone's battery.
    Turning off GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi and mobile data is recommended to save battery. Turning off location data, or changing location settings to use 3G / 4G data (or even Wifi data) rather than GPS works perfectly fine.

Occula, dotr and insanity like this.
  4. Guesswork

Guesswork Member

Yeah fair point.

Also the lack of wifi handshakes on the walk to the beach supports he is alone

dotr and Tintenbar like this.
  5. SaintGertrude

SaintGertrude Well-Known Member

How do we know for sure if it was Theo with his phone after a certain point. If he had his phone unlocked and the Belgium show was saved in his favourites even this could be a red herring if not him in control of the phone. The Whats App message to his family member seems the only thing pointing it was him up until that stage. As another sleuth pointed out, the dropped hat could have been two people moving his body and his hat could have fallen off in the process.

6. Tintenbar

Tintenbar Active Member

7. Tintenbar

Tintenbar Active Member

I think the responses on Whats App were very terse and could have been written by anyone.

dotr likes this.
  8. SaintGertrude

Are they saying that GPS places him on that hill. I cannot imagine he was alone that night. Could someone else have fallen into the water and Theo perhaps lost his way in a panic to get help. If a homeless person was with him a drifters disappearence may not even be noticed.

dotr likes this.
  9. Guesswork

Guesswork Member

This makes sense, until there is more solid evidence of other people involved this would seem the most plausible.

I also think there are two types of people who would try and venture around the lighthouse to get back to byron main beach.

1. The incredibly experienced fisherman/surfer kind of person who grew up there and can swim 100m freestyle quicker than many run it.

or

2. The incredibly naive person who has no idea how difficult it is.

Category 2 would be Theo and google maps does not help one to appreciate the steepness of the cliffs.

10. T-dawg420

T-dawg420 Well-Known Member

Can you get to that location from the cosy corner trial? I’m sure I saw goat tracks going up that way? Or can you only access it from the top area?

dotr, Tintenbar and Iphi like this.
  11. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

Yes - if you don't mind climbing rather challenging slopes among wild bush..

12. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention goats, cannot get the silliest thought from my mind that one could create a false GPS trail, by attaching a phone to a dog's collar and then taking/sending him for a long walk.
    speculation, imo.

13. SaintGertrude

Dotr, an out of the box theory, his phone tied to a dog or a goat. Now wouldn't that be a twist in the whole disappearence.

Tintenbar and dotr like this.
  14. Tintenbar

Tintenbar Active Member

dotr likes this.
  15. T-dawg420

So Theo goes down the fire trail at around 7.5 kms an hour. This is is the fastest point of the journey. It had been said Theo walks at almost 6kms an hour once getting onto tallow beach and continues to cosy corner.

I haven’t been able to ascertain or remember how fast he travelled through the dense scrub from the fire trail to tallow beach...

Thanks to the under investigation show and a bit of freeze framing I finally found it.

He travels 560 meters through dense scrub at a pace of 4.06kms an hour. Quite a deal slower than 7.5km or even 6km and hour..

but honestly I reckon I travelled slower when I walked through that exact path over 2 years ago, and I went during the day with another person! we almost got lost and had to stop for a few minutes to get our baring and fins a way out (that’s when we stumbled across what I believe was Tommy’s camp).

Going 4.06kms an hour through that dense ****, after midnight when there was little or no moon that night makes no sense if he was going alone.

Attached Files:

16. T-dawg420

This further shows the winding path Theo took in that scrub. I remember way back this was thought to be because someone was trying to avoid Tommy’s camp?

ken gamble mentions on the special they go this way cos it’s a short cut. But from the gps data it doesn’t appear to be a short cut, as they wind and almost go south to then go north if that makes sense?

at the crossroads, where he waits and checks for WU, why not go left and out onto tallow beach road and continue down the road to cosy corner car park? I’m sure that would have been quicker?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Sunshine95, Tintenbar and dotr like this.
  17. T-dawg420

Excuse the crude illustrations but I just wanted to highlight this. In red is his ‘’kinda’ actual gps path, his right turn. The yellow is if he followed the path going straight to the car park, and the blue is if he walked the 50 yards out onto tallow beach road......again not exactly a short cut right?

remember where he comes out onto tallow beach there was an abandoned camp they mention on the podcast? Might be nothing, but could be something

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    HinterlandObserver, Iphi and dotr like this.
  18. T-dawg420

Once again here are the 4 options Theo was presented with while he waited for 3 or 4 mins I think it was and then searched for WU.

1- the fire trail from where Theo came down at 7.5kms an hour
    2- the left hand turn that continues the fire trail out directly to tallow beach road
    3- the path straight ahead that I believe goes to cosy corner car park
    4- the infamous right turn! It is down this path that he travels for 560m, that’s 5 and a half football fields, out eventually onto tallow beach directly next to what was later found to be an abandoned camp

Once again, he not only was there after midnight, but with little or no moon on a cold night! Just try and imagine that scenario for a second? You have google maps open and you wait for 4 mins, but then decide to go through real thick scrub for over 500 meters?

when a pathed tallow beach road was 50 yards to his left? Cmon? Really?

Attached Files:

Tintenbar, Iphi and dotr like this.
  19. T-dawg420

Literally tallow beach road from the crossroads Theo stood at!

that’s how bloody close it was to him!

Attached Files:

Tintenbar, dotr and Iphi like this.
  20. SaintGertrude

I read this sad story and it is in the opposite direction from the beach but just a thought in case Theo did make it back towards the hostel.

"The Island Quarry is surrounded on three sides by sheer cliffs, and until a few years ago it was heavily promoted on backpacker websites.
    Locals have used it as a swimming hole since the former quarry filled with water about 50 years ago".

Concerns raised about Byron Bay cliff jumping injuries before death

jash, Tintenbar and dotr like this.