Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Theo was at the Aloha Villas at 11:17 and was seen running on the same street and not far from the villas at around 11:30.

Rocket says he was on his phone at the villas.

He was last captured on footage outside the Aloha apartments just after 11pm. The family believe it to be him in the footage, but the police aren’t using it. He stood there for awhile looking at his phone. It’s been assumed he’s looking at google maps for directions to the hostel. I’m now wondering if he’s actually standing there on the edge of town waiting to meet up with someone, or waiting to hear back from someone on what’s app. He may have made tentative plans to meet them that night and is trying to confirm before walking the final leg home.

So if it is him in the footage at the Aloha villas, and he does turn down Dryden St, then something happens between there and the hostel, but he's still ok at 12.20am.

And the footage at the Aloha villas is after he was seen running down Shirley St. (assuming that was him).

So if it is him in the footage at the Aloha villas, and he does turn down Dryden St, then something happens between there and the hostel, but he's still ok at 12.20am.

And the footage at the Aloha villas is after he was seen running down Shirley St. (assuming that was him).

I think the Aloha footage is before he was seen running. Didn't the resident say he was seen running at 11:30?

Maybe it was whatever was on his phone when he was at Aloha villas is what set him off running.

I think the Aloha footage is before he was seen running. Didn't the resident say he was seen running at 11:30?

But the Aloha villas are on the corner of Shirley and Dryden aren't they. That's where he would have left Shirley St. Or have I got the wrong place? Unless he didn't turn onto Dryden Street like google says to.

Do we have a report of the Aloha footage? I haven't read it.

Not that I have been able to find yet. I think a lot of this stuff is on 'Looking for Theo Hayez' FB page.

It doesn't say it is an 'official' FB page so we can't link it here, even though it seems to be run by the searchers.

But the Aloha villas are on the corner of Shirley and Dryden aren't they. That's where he would have left Shirley St. Or have I got the wrong place? Unless he didn't turn onto Dryden Street like google says to.

By the report of where he was seen running, I don't think he went down Dryden.

It would make sense if he was at the Aloha Villas at 11.17pm, as they're 16mins from the bar, according to Google. And then he's on his phone at Aloha. Then he continues down Shirley St, someone sees him running about 11.30pm. By this time he would be less than 15mins walk from the hostel (and he's running). And then he's talking on facebook at 12.20am...

Not that I have been able to find yet. I think a lot of this stuff is on 'Looking for Theo Hayez' FB page.

It doesn't say it is an 'official' FB page so we can't link it here, even though it seems to be run by the searchers.

No report on Aloha as the police will not confirm it is him due to burry vision. Family
Have confirmed it is him due to timeline, what the person was wearing and their waking mannerism.

You are correct that if he turned down Dryden then he could only have been running on Shirley IF he turned back and was running back to town. However the witness said “-around 11.30pm”. As it wasn’t something they considered out of the ordinary at the time I doubt they wrote down the precise time they saw him. On their way home from being out and know they got home around that time. It would be negligent of them to say oh I think it was 11.16pm when they only know a ballpark time.

Family have confirmed the footage at aloha shows him turning down Dryden.

Is anyone able to pinpoint where on Shirley he is seen running ?

I will try to find it now ...

the street is not that close to the water. From the street, he'd reach the hostel before the beach.

I didn't mean to say the water is very close to where he was running - but it's not very far either. We have had countless cases here of intoxicated young men ending up in a body of water, and some were seen running too. It doesn't make much sense but it happens quite a lot, unfortunately. It's like they're drawn to water.

Yeah, sorry people. Numbers and maps aren't my strong point. So he was outside the Aloha at 11.17 for apx 13 mins. Was seen running just after that, and then there's a message 50 mins later. Is that right?

No report on Aloha as the police will not confirm it is him due to burry vision. Family
Have confirmed it is him due to timeline, what the person was wearing and their waking mannerism.

You are correct that if he turned down Dryden then he could only have been running on Shirley IF he turned back and was running back to town. However the witness said “-around 11.30pm”. As it wasn’t something they considered out of the ordinary at the time I doubt they wrote down the precise time they saw him. On their way home from being out and know they got home around that time. It would be negligent of them to say oh I think it was 11.16pm when they only know a ballpark time.

I think someone said before that he was seen running on Shirley St closer to the Caltex, which means he didn't turn down Dryden St. There was a screen shot from the news footage of a place along Shirley St. taken from when they were interviewing the witness.

I think I found it before, but a confirmation would be good.

I think it is on the footpath across the road from Mango Tree (holiday rentals), across the road from 63 Shirley St.

Google Maps
(Not quite the same angle as the news report, but I cant get onto the footpath to get their angle.)

I seem to recall an admin was on this thread clarifying that LfTH FB page was approved. We can link to the admin posts (but not other posters or members of that group)

I didn't mean to say the water is very close to where he was running - but it's not very far either. We have had countless cases here of intoxicated young men ending up in a body of water, and some were seen running too. It doesn't make much sense but it happens quite a lot, unfortunately. It's like they're drawn to water.
Nah, that's cool. Makes me think of the smiley face killers though.

I seem to recall an admin was on this thread clarifying that LfTH FB page was approved. We can link to the admin posts (but not other posters or members of that group)

Well, that's good to hear. We usually can link to those pages. We just can't discuss the comments under the posts.

If you listen to what the local resident who was interviewed said it doesn’t sound as though HE saw him running, just that he arrived home a similar time Theo was in the area.

“He was seen running at one point past where we are living, I was getting home close to that time also, so it was unfortunate I didn’t see anything or wasn’t able to help”

So who saw him running? Was he running on CCTV then?

If you listen to what the local resident who was interviewed said it doesn’t sound as though HE saw him running, just that he arrived home a similar time Theo was in the area.

“He was seen running at one point past where we are living, I was getting home close to that time also, so it was unfortunate I didn’t see anything or wasn’t able to help”

So who saw him running? Was he running on CCTV then?

I wonder if it was whoever was in his car with him - if someone was in the car with him. Or someone waiting for him to get home. It is the 'we' in his words about living there, although it is 'I' when he speaks of getting home or being able to help.

Shirley Street looks like a fairly well travelled street, judging by the traffic that was there in that video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member