Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Beagle, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mussopossum

mussopossum Well-Known Member

Totally Agree with you

bearbear and Zoomy like this.
  2. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

Rolling back to the facts here.... apart from the recently disclosed cap (likely to be Theo's but not confirmed), and the phone route published by News Corp that no one has confirmed or denied, here is something that the parents just told echonetdaily and posted on the FB page LFTH:

Grey cap like Théo’s found near Tallow Beach
    Eve Jeffery
    [... ]

‘There are many theories circulating and some of them are plausible. We have spoken about some of those theories before but they remain theories. We need solid evidence so we must give investigators the opportunity to gather and verify that evidence.
    ‘We do believe that there are witnesses that haven’t yet come forward. We believe that Théo did not spend the early hours of June 1 alone.

BBM

So this is confirmed - there was someone, and apparently that someone has not come forward.

IMO Suspect#1 ....

ETA there is a recent photo of the family of 3 too. They look reasonably positive.

bluebird69, Oz Jen, bearbear and 3 others like this.
  3. Sambam89

Sambam89 Active Member

It could have been in passing as simple as the other boy from Wake Up maybe asked if Theo had any cash on him to help pay for his entry into CM’s, and so Theo said no I’ve only got enough for me and my card mate sorry, to get out of paying for him. I often do then when people try to ask me to buy stuff for them, especially people I don’t know. Got no cash on me, sorry.

bearbear, feralflower and Via Marple like this.
  4. PingTheRouter

PingTheRouter Ghetto Superstar

pressuring the suspect i bet, they would be monitoring developments in the case possibly for an escape route when things became too hot or to confess i mean i am not sure why i always go negative side first

bearbear, feralflower and Via Marple like this.
  5. Sambam89

Sambam89 Active Member

Yes and if any witness happens to be a drug dealer or in that type of circle, I’m sure they won’t come forward.

6. Via Marple

Or simply, contributed in some way to his disappearance.

bearbear and Sambam89 like this.
  7. PingTheRouter

PingTheRouter Ghetto Superstar

i just find it so hard to believe that someone would cause indirectly or directly someone death over $50 worth of weed or something backpackers are not known to carry much cash so i mean
    i get why people are jumping to this its byron bay, big hippe and liberal type place, very known as a weed culture within australia ( what surf town isnt really )

Jenz and bearbear like this.
  8. Sambam89

Sambam89 Active Member

It could have been an accident, but if they are a dealer or whatever they probably were too scared to bring attention to themselves or panicked in the moment maybe they were high and paranoid themselves, and so hid his body and it’s too late to come forward after that really.. I dunno, fear would stop many people coming forward for any reason.

9. mussopossum

It does appear he has crossed the road yes. Into that accomodation I’m not sure. It appears to be a lodging place and looks like a house that may either lodge people or whole house for rent. Didn’t find much on it on the website. It is strange he does the loop from the field onto Carlyle st then onto Cowper and heads off. It appears that he is looking for something or lost. But like the turn up the end Tennyson st. Could be that he was waiting outside for someone there. I have attached area he loops in at Cowper and Carlyle

Attached Files:

10. mussopossum

When pesky charity workers chase me up the street that’s my number one response (other than bugger off) is sorry no cash on me! Sorry just bit humour

Jenz, Via Marple, bearbear and 2 others like this.
  11. mussopossum

"So this is confirmed - there was someone, and apparently that someone has not come forward.

IMO Suspect#1 ...."

And further to your comment Marple, most likely why the police are desperate to obtain and read that last message on Whats App between Theo and the unknown.

I thought originally it was said though that with Whats App they can see a user to a user, IE who sent who a message or a phone number sent a message to another phone number, they just cannot read the message sent due to encryption?

It was confirmed that Whats App were cooperating with police and had handed over information however confirmed that they are unable to provide any messages sent de to the encryptions, even if they wanted to.

Do you consider your referal to suspect #1 could be the mystery Whats App person and may be the person that could have been with Theo that night?

From this below article / link they discuss what information they can provide with their terms of service.

WhatsApp assisting police in Hayez investigation – Echonetdaily

‘We understand the important work being carried out by law enforcement and are assisting them in accordance with applicable law and our terms of service.” – WhatsApp spokesperson

‘In this case, we have provided information to international law enforcement officials,’ they said. ‘While we can’t access encrypted conversations, end-to-end encrypted platforms do have some limited information about users that they collect in order to provide their service.

WhatsApp has published Information for Law Enforcement Authorities that outlines the kinds of information they can disclose when they receive a valid legal request. ‘This may include (if available): name, service start date, last seen date, IP address, email address, profile photo, numbers blocking or blocked by the user or other basic subscriber information about the account, not including the contents of communication.’

Jenz, Sambam89, feralflower and 2 others like this.
  12. Matlock

Matlock Active Member

Likely any witness has been threatened. In the murder case near where I live I overheard someone being seriously threatened later that night. A witness did contact police at one stage but never contacted them again even though there is a million dollar reward. I think he was likely killed because he spoke to the police.

Police wouldn't be worrying so much about small time drug dealing at this point, so I don't think that would be a big reason for not speaking up. But you would not speak up of someone has seriously threatened you.

Sambam89, Via Marple and feralflower like this.
  13. Via Marple

I raise this mystery companion as a suspect, because we now know very likely Theo had company (which was not disclosed before). And this person has not come forward. Not that it's known that they had used WhatsApp that night.

You know I am not allowed to discuss Nick's theories until he gets verified....

But yeah since Theo was booted out of CM unexpectedly, how did he find company so quickly and locally? All his mates were still inside CM, and there must be plenty of evidence to prove that. So he must have used his phone to contact some one else. I guess WhatsApp is also app of choice for shady characters too..

And the data provided by WhatsApp cannot help police to identify the other party. I had wondered if they had kept contacts' phone numbers, but apparently not. Message contents are encrypted and not kept by WhatsApp.

So - drug dealers are all we can think of?

14. bearbear

bearbear Well-Known Member

with police saying that theo wasnt alone that night, it doesnt mean he was with someone willingly, it could just as easily be unwanted company

15. Ann764

Ann764 Member

The delay in DNA results as they would also trying to obtain any other person/persons DNA and trying to eliminate known people he came in to contact with and hopefully DNA of anyone who may have been involved in his disappearance if they match any on the system etc. I agree they the police know more than they are sharing hopefully they are closing in now

bearbear and feralflower like this.
  16. Ann764

Ann764 Member

The message he sent to a friend in Belgium makes it seem that at that time after 12 he was not aware or any immediate danger As he would have used the operator alert someone at this time. If weed/ laced etc would fit that he is sitting somewhere at that time .after that is when things go wrong. Perhaps adverse reaction , scuffle etc and ultimately what lea to his disappearance

Via Marple, Sambam89 and feralflower like this.
  17. mussopossum

All I can think of is someone else met at the hostel who was in contact and promised a party at the beach, having been kicked out of CM and happy after a few drinks he might have not felt like going home so messaged the person to meet him. I really dont know, I just have no logical explanation as to why he was messaging on his phone the second he turned that corner and went where he did.

We dont know if he was receiving or sending messages inside at CM during his time there to meet up later with anyone. Like it was said earlier he deliberately went that direction as he was booted out of CM. When asked to leave CM they would have pushed him out as soon as they could and due to their 50m rule that you cannot be within 50m of the premises if kicked out it means that he would not have had time to message anyone at this point as he was asked to leave.

If it was a text message/ sms then i presume that they have retrived all sms sent whilst he had been in Byron Bay or even just phone numbers that he received and sent sms. We dont know if his phone sim was an Australian one or one from Belgium and he had international roaming set and I wonder if this is why the Belgian police came to help with access to that data.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    bearbear, Via Marple and Sambam89 like this.
  18. Ann764

Ann764 Member

They reported that is was a Facebook message about music/ bands messaged to a family/ friend in Belgium. The message so he was using Facebook hence gps tracking. It’s not to say that he didn’t send up in a car or house. He was walking rather unsteady when last seen . If lost he could have been offered ride or gone somewhere to wait to he given directions. His phone done not pin ( move towers apparently until the following day suggests he was in the cbd area or at least his phone was. The delay in official search being launched is. The biggest concern and days of inclement weather etc pivotal to collecting evidence in a timely manner. It suggests police are waiting as mentioned previously here for someone to slip up or or even return to site. Etc

bearbear likes this.
  19. mussopossum

Theo left CM at 11pm

He sent a message to a friend in Belgium just after midnight

The walk from CM to Cosy corner is about 35 min. This is by walking the road not the track. So if his intention was to go to Cosy corner why did he go through the bush and not on the road?

Give or take the additional time to go through the bush lets say an extra what 15 min? That still comes out about 50 min or so.

So appears when messaged friend after midnight he was either alone or in good spirits and no alarm bells (that we know), then the rest is history.

If there is any suspician of foul play by police,,,,
    And he had been reported missing sooner I do wonder if valuable evidence at Cosy corner and the track may have been available, such as foot prints, drag marks, his belongings, blood, cigarette butts, drink cans, collapsed sand dune areas etc.

The amount of people who would have walked through there afterwards plus all the rain we had unfortunately could have taken any evidence with it.

upload_2019-7-21_17-36-46.png

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  20. Ann764

Ann764 Member

If he went to Cosy corner that evening you would predict his phone would have pinged earlier as it moved from cbd tower to cape . It seems strange to say the least which suggests his phone was disgarded the following day.

bearbear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.