Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Beagle, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Rocket333

Rocket333 Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s been reported that the guy with him is a friend, and is known to Theo’s cousin Lisa as well. He’s been interviewed and cleared. Someone said he was the one who noticed Theo hadn’t been back to the hostel for some time and told the staff.

2. Rocket333

Pretty impressive and comprehensive resources being employed. Those dogs on the ground wouldn’t miss a beat if they caught his scent.

3. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

I wonder why police think this? I am still convinced that there is other CCTV of Theo, besides the CCTV that has been released to the public. Perhaps witnesses, too. Theo was out walking at quite a prime time on a Friday night.
    Remember how long it took police to release the CCTV of Bayley following Jill Meagher? They only released it when they were ready to do so, for their own reasons.

(DCI) Kehoe said one inquiry police were pursuing was whether Hayez was with someone else when he disappeared.
    “We believe that someone must have seen Theo after he left the licensed premises,” he said.
    Backpackers join Byron Bay search for missing Belgian Theo Hayez

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Oz Jen, bearbear, AnnaGrace and 5 others like this.
  4. Rocket333

There has to be other cctv, and possibly dashcam. They may have footage of him with other people but don’t want to scare them off, or otherwise want to gather more intel. Theo wouldn’t have been alone. I bet he caught up with someone on what’s app, maybe even a female and went to sit under the stars. He was texting a relative at 12.20 about plans for when he got home, and that was an hour after he left the bar. Maybe he was sitting alone enjoying the night. What’s the motive though if attacked? His cards haven’t been used and the phone died, so what would anyone want with him?

5. mussopossum

mussopossum Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification.

bearbear, TatianaBarbie and Rocket333 like this.
  6. SouthAussie

I guess maybe a description or two in this person's thoughts about some Byron Bay people has made me wonder if something bad has happened to Theo. Not from his own potential mishap.

These days Byron Bay – laid-back, alternative Byron Bay – is all of those people and more. It's backpackers, flashpackers, celebrities, hippies, surfers, drinkers, bogans, weirdos and everyone in between. It's a chilled out place where locals tailgate you if you're doing anything less than the speed limit, where drunk kids yell at you from across the street.
    Paradise lost: What happened to Byron Bay?

(For those that read the first edition of this post, sorry. I felt I had to change the post because it was about a touchy subject, and I couldn't express my thoughts adequately without possibly causing offence.)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  7. Rocket333

There’s a strong need for sensitivity, and for hope. I hear you though and agree. I thought the ocean held a clue but now instead wonder if the scrub around the headlands does. IDK

8. Aron.Wor

Aron.Wor Well-Known Member

Well, two weeks with no money, no phone. The Byron Bay lighthouse is ages away from the town center. I believe that that comment was warranted.

bearbear, Elainera and SouthAussie like this.
  9. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NSW Police also said the only confirmed sightings of Theo on the night he disappeared were at 7.45pm on May 31, where he was seen buying alcohol from a bottle shop in the Byron Bay area.
    He was then seen leaving the Cheeky Monkey’s bar around 11pm on the same night.
    An image from CCTV footage on Shirley Street at 11.17pm also appears to show Theo walking in the direction of the Wake Up! Hostel, where he had been staying, however police have not been able to confirm the person in that vision is the teenager.
    Police released further footage from the bottle shop clearly showing what Theo was wearing on the night he went missing.

‘Every minute counts’: Missing backpacker’s dad makes tearful call for help

Oz Jen, bearbear, AnnaGrace and 7 others like this.
  10. Aron.Wor

The drug and homelessness problem is very bad. Most locals I met had major AOD (alcohol and other drugs) issues. Many people choose to live in the bush in Byron, as to keep their payment for other things. I also believe that there are many predators in the Byron and the surrounding areas. Nimbin is a hot spot for mental illness and predatory behaviour. Northern NSW is not a good place. If you think about it, it is the perfect environment for a killer.

bearbear, AnnaGrace, Elainera and 3 others like this.
  11. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

I can think of one possibility. .. maybe, maybe he somehow got into a drunken fight with a (male) companion, somewhere near where the phone last pinged. Knocked unconcious, and the other guy panicked and ran off. The phone fell off him somewhere.

Sorry if this is insensitive, just a theory.

12. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

[​IMG]

Somehow this photo doesn't sit well with me.
    Theo's stance is questioning & he doesn't appear to be purchasing anything with his hands in his jumper pockets and usually a wallet is in pants pocket... The attendant and Theo are engaged in a deep conversation and Theo doesn't appear to be relaxed.
    Who's the guy next to him?

insanity, HulaMum, Oz Jen and 7 others like this.
  13. Via Marple

Can I ask, are you a local?

...At the same time, property values have skyrocketed.

Byron Bay property market more expensive than Sydney

With a population of just 34,500 people and a median house price of $987,500, Australia’s most expensive city is Byron Bay in Northern New South Wales

Edit: this was reported a month ago.

14. Via Marple

Answered by Rocket above.

15. Aron.Wor

Where can I find more information on this. I googled it, but haven't found anything relevant
    No. I am now in Victoria. I have spent some time in Byron though. I got in a lot of trouble in that place for moralistic behaviour and keeping an eye on a suspected predator.

16. Rocket333

As said earlier (thread above), it’s been reported that the guy with him is a friend, and is known to Theo’s cousin Lisa as well. He’s been interviewed and cleared. Someone said he was the one who noticed Theo hadn’t been back to the hostel for some time and told the staff. The whole video shows them buying grog and the friend carrying it out. The question is where did they go to drink it?

17. Rocket333

18. Rocket333

I’ve thought of this too, or him being robbed maybe. Where though is he....

19. SouthAussie

I think that Theo may have been separated from his phone. His phone, laying somewhere - in the sand? in the bush? between some rocks? - then ran out of battery charge.

20. SouthAussie

There is an opinion piece in this Courier Mail article, about Theo's WhatsApp messages.

Access to the article is via the link in this Courier Mail FB post ....

Courier Mail

Can't say that I agree with the opinion in this instance.