GUILTY Australia - Tina Watson, 26, dies on honeymoon scuba dive, QLD, 22 Oct 2003

I'm with you, Britster....after reading the article it sounds like the judge totally has it in for the prosecutor.....I wonder what the history is between the two....this worries me as well.

I really don't understand it. I thought judges were supposed to be impartial?? He sounds less like a referee and more like he should be the defense attorney. Weird!

I just heard on Fox News that the judge dismissed or would not allow testimony of a key witness for the prospecution. Not sure what the deal is - will look for a link.

http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/201...er-testifies-honeymoon-murder-tri-ar-3286455/
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. --
(WVTM) - The trial of Gabe Watson resumed Thursday morning, after taking Wednesday off. Part of the testimony of the first witness was blocked by the judge.

Prosecutors wanted Tommy Thomas, the father of the victim, Tina Thomas, to testify. They expected him to tell jurors about statements that Gabe Watson allegedly made regarding increasing life insurance on Tina Thomas.

But Judge Tommy Nail ruled the evidence isn't admissible calling it irrelevant hearsay.

He said that Watson didn't call him after Tina's death, and he didn't hear about it until hours later.

Thomas also testified that Gabe lied to him about being with Tina when she was being resucitated

What happened to "applies to motive?"

Thanks for the link, Yellow Rose. I could't find anything!

This move by the judge doesn't make me feel any better about the way this trial is heading....

This makes me so angry! If charges were dismissed, can he still be tried for this again at a later date? Anyone know?

I heard he was ACQUITED by the judge, so no, not criminally.

However, I think her family could certainly take him to civil court, and probably win.

imo

If he was acquitted then double jeopardy applies.

This case had me worried from the start though, nothing to do with the judge. There was a lot of perception of guilt but very little solid evidence.

'Honeymoon Killer' Judge Scoffs at Alleged Motive

http://news.yahoo.com/honeymoon-killer-judge-scoffs-alleged-motive-151622500--abc-news.html

This news gives me a bad feeling.

Your feeling was correct.

:/

Boy reading what this judge was spouting off in open court in front of the jury seems a little unprofessional to me. He was spouting off his own opinions and feelings about motive, and it wasn't based on the law really.
I mean the exchange over the ring was just odd, so what if the judge thinks it's common for people to remove jewelry from a casket. The prosecutor doesn't even have to prove motive but was trying to show money as a motive and taking the ring could be an example. Agree or not that's up to a jury to decide. Damn.
It there was a basis in law to keep that out of court then recite the law and keep it out as evidence, but to argue with the pros about it being a dumb point is disturbing. Who is this judge?

AAArrrgh ! Hopefully Tinas' family will take him to civil court.....I know we need to accept the judges' decision -- and I don't blame him as I didn't hear what the prosecution said; but this case stinks !

AAArrrgh ! Hopefully Tinas' family will take him to civil court.....I know we need to accept the judges' decision -- and I don't blame him as I didn't hear what the prosecution said; but this case stinks !

I think that was the problem, the case stank. It is an awfully hard one to prove...you can't be found guilty for being a criminally insensitive jerk and liar though.

I am sure they will win a civil case, seems the best way to go about it now

I heard he was ACQUITED by the judge, so no, not criminally.

However, I think her family could certainly take him to civil court, and probably win.

imo

If he was acquitted then double jeopardy applies.

This case had me worried from the start though, nothing to do with the judge. There was a lot of perception of guilt but very little solid evidence.

Thank you both! I wasn't sure if a dismissal of charges was the same as an acquittal but I guess it makes sense that they are the same! :blushing:

I hope her family finds peace. They are in my thoughts!

This Judge was out of line. Nothing like tainting the Jury. Not that they were even able to deliberate. I have thought he was guilty from the beginning. What about all the witness testimony about Gabe not doing what a normal rescue diver does? Maybe none of them came here from Australia to testify? It seems like more and more these creeps are taking their wives/girlfriends to foreign countries and then offing them. Robyn Gardner for one. Another one who will never get justice. It's sickening!!

I am so disappointed in this. He was trained for rescues and let her sink instead. I've been following this but Mr. Scuba just heard about it yesterday. He's not gonna be a happy camper either. I am just in shock.

"...an Alabama grand jury indicted Watson on two counts -- murder for pecuniary gain and kidnapping where a felony occurred. Those charges were based on the premise that Watson hatched the plot to kill his wife while in Alabama."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/23/justice/alabama-honeymoon-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

What I don't understand is, how can there be enough evidence for a Grand Jury to indict him on a murder charge, but yet the judge can say there isn't enough evidence for a trial? Sorry to keep harping on and on but it blows my mind.

I'm completely shocked at this decision.

The judge is the one that wouldn't let tons of evidence into the trial in the FIRST place!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Now, I can only hope that karma does it's job.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back