Australia - Toyah Cordingley, 24, body found on beach, 22 October 2018 #3

Ms Cordingley's injuries, which police described as "visible and violent", were so upsetting that her father had to be carried from the scene.

"Toyah is my only child. Finding her body has burnt an indelible image in my mind. It is something a father should never have to suffer," he later wrote.

The man accused of killing a young woman on a beach in Far North Queensland is expected to be charged with murder tonight, after touching down in Cairns on a charter flight.

Police will allege Rajwinder Singh killed Toyah Cordingley on Wangetti Beach in October 2018 and boarded a flight to India the day after her body was found.

Ms Cordingley, 24, had been walking her dog at the time.

Her body was discovered by her father, who went searching for her after she failed to return home.

"He's expected to be formally charged later tonight, and will appear before the Cairns Magistrates Court tomorrow morning," Detective Inspector Sonia Smith said.

"We are very relieved to be at this point, and we will now start the judicial process.

"The work of the Australian Federal Police in New Delhi was critical.

"We could not have achieved what we needed to achieve today if we didn't have their support, and we are very grateful."

This team has remained committed from the first day of the investigation despite the challenging and complex nature involved in an international extradition process

Police have charged 38-year-old Rajwinder Singh with murder over the death of Far North Queensland woman Toyah Cordingley in October 2018.

Her body was discovered by her father after she failed to return home from walking her dog on Wangetti Beach.

Mr Singh, who arrived in Cairns this afternoon after being extradited from India via Melbourne, is expected to appear before the Cairns Magistrates Court on Friday on one count of murder.

Parents react

Detective Inspector Smith read statements from Ms Cordingley's parents.

"I am so relieved to have this person back here in Queensland," the statement from Ms Cordingley's mother Vanessa said.

"We thank the community for the ongoing love and support throughout these difficult times."

Ms Cordingley's father Troy said Mr Singh's arrival in Cairns was one more step in the process that he can "cross off my list".

Cairns state MP Michael Healy said it was important that the community now let the justice system run its course.

"It's been a long four years ," Mr Healy said.

"There is a legal process that we need to go through, so we don't need to be seeing people making outrageous comments.

"This is about justice for Toyah and we don't want to see anything jeopardise that."

"I will continue to stay as strong as I can."

The dog that was with a young woman when she was allegedly murdered more than four years ago has died in the same week the woman's alleged killer has returned to Australia.

The life of Toyah Cordingley's beloved dog Indie ended after it had been suffering from cancer.

'Her dog Indie had to be put down,' Mr Cordingley, Toyah's father, said.

I

The dog that was with a young woman when she was allegedly murdered more than four years ago has died in the same week the woman's alleged killer has returned to Australia.

The life of Toyah Cordingley's beloved dog Indie ended after it had been suffering from cancer.

'Her dog Indie had to be put down,' Mr Cordingley, Toyah's father, said.
I believe the dog held on as long as needed - without a doubt that animal knew what was going on and needed to know RS was back and justice for sweet animal loving Toyah was within reach.

Animals are grossly underestimated but they are capable of astounding things and have certain sense 100x stronger than ours.

I want to thank Indie, so, thankyou Indie.

“Mention” of Toyah’s Case in Court today at Cairns Courthouse

The next mention of the case will be on June 9.

On Friday Nathan Crane, Principal Crown Prosecutor at Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, appeared in court and will be leading the case against Mr Singh.

Crown Prosecutor Nathan Crane. Picture: Brendan Radke

Crown Prosecutor Nathan Crane. Picture: Brendan Radke

It was heard on Friday that defence and prosecution have exchanged documents, and intend to proceed with the case.

Last edited:
A bit of info about Nathan Crane

NATHAN CRANE

Director of Public Prosecutions gun Nathan Crane has tried some of the most shocking homicides in the city, including the murder of Donna Steele and the Ghuman double murder in Gordonvale.

Mr Crane is called to all matters in the Supreme and District Courts from major drugs, serious sex crimes and violent offending cases.

“The most memorable cases aren’t necessarily the most notable or high profile at all,” he said.

“The cases that I remember the most is where you can achieve a result that allows a victim to have their story heard, and (are) subsequently able to move on with their life.”

Mr Crane’s position as a crown prosecutor also has him doing a lot of Court of Appeal work, primarily in Brisbane, but also on northern circuits when the appeals court sits.

He said he found his career path extremely rewarding.

“Ultimately I think it is the fact you are working for the community, and representing the interests of victims when they don’t necessarily get the chance to advocate for themselves,” he said.

From 2021

From the mention in Court today …

The parties have exchanged for committal all documents in respect of notice of intention to proceed by way of registry committal to the party Singh," he said.

"I mentioned 28 days for that to occur."

Mr Perkins agreed.

"That's fine to proceed, your honour," Mr Perkins said.

A registry committal bypasses the need for a magistrates court committal hearing, according to Queensland Courts.

Magistrate James Morton set a date of June 9 for the next mention of Mr Singh's case.

More here:

Singh has not entered a plea yet. I wonder if that may happen on 9th June.

It is good that they have bypassed a committal hearing and both sides have agreed to go to trial (or go straight to sentencing).
Although, it does mean we won't hear about any evidence before the trial (or sentencing, if he pleads guilty).
And I guess if he pleads guilty and goes straight to sentencing, we won't know exactly what happened, ever.

When you can use a registry committal

• The offence must be serious: Registry committals apply to indictable offences only and parties must ensure the charges are indictable before applying.
  • The parties must agree: The defendant must be legally represented and the parties must agree to the charge(s) being committed to the Supreme Court or District Court for sentencing or trial. The registrar can’t decide whether there’s enough evidence to put the defendant on trial for the indictable charge.

Singh has not entered a plea yet. I wonder if that may happen on 9th June.

It is good that they have bypassed a committal hearing and both sides have agreed to go to trial (or go straight to sentencing).
Although, it does mean we won't hear about any evidence before the trial (or sentencing, if he pleads guilty).
And I guess if he pleads guilty and goes straight to sentencing, we won't know exactly what happened, ever.

When you can use a registry committal

• The offence must be serious: Registry committals apply to indictable offences only and parties must ensure the charges are indictable before applying.
  • The parties must agree: The defendant must be legally represented and the parties must agree to the charge(s) being committed to the Supreme Court or District Court for sentencing or trial. The registrar can’t decide whether there’s enough evidence to put the defendant on trial for the indictable charge.
According to the Cairns Post …. It is going to trial …

Mr Singh has denied the allegations and the case will proceed to trial. He did not appear on Friday.

Guessing he is pleading ”not guilty”.

Everything we know in Toyah Cordingley’s case so far​

21st October 2023

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe.

21st October 2023

Megan Pritchard: Toyah Cordingley remembered on five year anniversary of death​

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe.

Rajwinder Singh is likely to face trial in Cairns next year over the alleged murder of Toyah Cordingley

Mr Singh has not entered a plea to the charge but has maintained his innocence

A court has heard up to 500 witness statements have been taken

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708