Australia Australia - Two Female Backpackers attacked at Salt Creek, SA, 9 Feb 2016

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by Makara, Feb 15, 2016.

1. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect Under the Milky Way

That explains him speaking in German to the German. Maybe speaking in their own language calmed him down?

2. MsAnais

MsAnais Verified Clinical Psychologist (AU)

3. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

According to the Advertiser article, he came over here with his family in 1959 ... and went back to Germany with them in the 70s for a short time before returning to Australia again. So it sounds as though, within his family at least, he may have had a good grip on the German language.

4. SouthAussie

I also saw in the Advertiser article that the Advertiser successfully applied for his name to be released after further charges, to be tried later this year, were dropped.

Those orders — some of the most draconian in state history — were no longer needed after prosecutors dropped charges that would have seen Heinze stand trial for a fourth time for alleged sexual offending later this year.
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...s/news-story/6d73b9611cf762ddf3c62fd8e7c2037b

5. DRT

DRT Well-Known Member

I did notice this one the tweets. Now that the suppression has been lifted I am still going to call him the creep. Whoever labelled him that was correct.
    Sean Fewster‏Verified account @SeanFewster [video=twitter;862531339219648513]https://twitter.com/SeanFewster/status/862531339219648513[/video]

Court hears kidnapper is appealing against his conviction for the #SaltCreek offences. Has confessed to sex assault of a third backpacker.

6. DRT

DRT Well-Known Member

7. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

Was this predator charging these tourists as a tour guide?

8. DRT

DRT Well-Known Member

The creep is in the Court of Criminal Appeal Monday. I don't understand how when a case can be appealed when in all reality defended. The defence rested after the prosecution called all witnesses without even calling the accused who was the only other person present. I guess we will see on Monday.

• [h=2]Court Details[/h] Date: Monday 15th May 2017 at 10:00a.m.
      Court: Court of Criminal Appeal
      Court Room: COURT 2
      Judicial Officer: Justice PEEK

[HR][/HR]
      [h=2]Case Details[/h] Participant: HEINZE, Roman
      Complainant: APPLICATION APPLICANT
      Charge: Application For Permission To Appeal Against Conviction
      Hearing Type: Application for permission to appeal against conviction
      Case #: 1 SCCRM-17-121

9. aequitas

aequitas Active Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. SouthAussie

RSBM

So, this creep's appeal will be heard by Justice David Peek.

I have been reading up on the success rate of appeals. They are remarkably high - close to 50% success - however, these successes include appeals by defence and prosecution.

Some of the reasons for the defence winning an appeal seem profoundly pathetic, and not in the best interests AT ALL of the poor victim .. nor the public (due to the precedence it sets, imo).

Some successes seem to stem around 'rehabilitation'. So, if you have been good (or not caught/tried) for a number of years, your past unpunished sins are somehow partially forgiven - despite the permanent/semi-permanent damage done to the victim. :shakehead:

One of Justice Peek's appeal rulings ....

BBM

11. SouthAussie

Some of the other reasons for appeal success:

- judge failed to warn the jury they should be more cautious when accepting unsworn evidence

- "guilty of fracturing his partner’s nose and bruising her eye sockets" ... sentencing judge had not considered whether his partner could have inflicted the injuries to herself or fallen over

- judge was too emotive in his summing up to the jury and had equated Mr Fraser’s intoxication to the position of a retarded person, a child, or an animal

Interesting article, worth a quick read:
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e/news-story/7c510774d4e42a26bb3684f39aec3f18

12. tlorik

tlorik Active Member

Wait. His sentence was excessive? This a*hole, creep, was using a website as a hunting ground. He was targeting young women for sexual abuse and attempted murder. The government has basically protected this ass over the last year. In my opinion, for what it's worth, his picture should have been on the front page of every paper in SA saying "have you seen this jerk" every day instead of being covered up. Who knows how many others he approached? Sorry i haven't been keeping up like i should. Long week for me. I have a daughter this age. If this a*hole was out and about and no one told me, I'd be super pissed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

13. DRT

DRT Well-Known Member

I would hope at this stage the predatory behaviour of someone with 15 attempts at picking up tourists hoping that they won't report the incidents because they are too remote and the tourists may want to get home to get away. While as I have said it isn't a crime to respond to a gumtree ad, the persistence of continuing the hunt until you catch one is.

Lets hope he doesn't win this one.

14. SouthAussie

I am hoping that the judgement given by Justice Trish Kelly in the Carly Ryan case can set a precedence against these predators that use the internet as their hunting ground.

Whether it be Gumtree or another website, the predator's intention is not in line with the purpose and intention of the website.

15. JLZ

JLZ Well-Known Member

According to the details posted by DRT, what will be heard Monday is the application for permission to appeal--not the appeal itself.

16. JLZ

JLZ Well-Known Member

(snipped)

Good God.

17. JLZ

JLZ Well-Known Member

Heinze hasn't been sentenced yet so he'll be applying to appeal against the conviction not against the severity of the sentence. I take it that roughly he'll be saying that it hasn't been properly proved that he did the thing, not that yeah but it wasn't all that bad and besides I'm disadvantaged and stuff so let me off light.

18. JudgeJudi

JudgeJudi Well-Known Member

In South Australia it's called an Application for Permission to Appeal, and it will be interesting to learn what his grounds for appeal are. He could say that it's based on an error of law or that the judge misdirected the jury. I can't think of any other reason offhand. Here's hoping it's thrown out of court.

19. JudgeJudi

The elderly father of Salt Creek kidnapper Roman Heinze has admitted his son deserves to be behind bars for terrorising backpackers, but denied he is a monster.

Speaking to Ten from his home one day after his son’s identity was revealed, Werner Heinze said he was shocked to discover his ‘nasty’ crimes in 2014.

‘He has an aggressive, disrespectful and nasty character, but he’s no monster,’ Heinze told Ten.

‘I’m shocked he’s been convicted. He should pay for it. Jail is where he needs to be.’

[Morrisa, in the second pic in this article he does look like Ivan Milat. In the pic immediately below that, he looks like Tom Sellick]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-backpackers-South-Australia-Salt-Creek.html

20. JudgeJudi

In a victim impact statement, the German woman told the court she feared she would die during the attack and had since relived the horror 'hundreds of times'.

The Brazilian woman said she still had to deal with the physical scars of the attack and felt fear every time she went to the beach. 'Every day I see where the rope he used cut into my ankles and wrists. My legs are full of scars,' she said.

The third woman RH has been convicted of assaulting said in her victim impact statement that she said she was determined to never stop travelling or trusting people, despite what happened.

'Maybe I am not the best example of strength or the best testimonial for women's rights. But I am happy that I had a chance to play my small role in the confrontation against a big enemy that here is embodied by the violence of Mr Heinze.

Do not give up, trust justice, keep on loving.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-backpackers-South-Australia-Salt-Creek.html

Three very brave women who have no doubt saved countless others from terrifying encounters, or worse, at the hands of this evil individual. He is a monster.