Australia Australia - Two Female Backpackers attacked at Salt Creek, SA, 9 Feb 2016

This is how Justice Kelly put the sentence together ... good for her for putting him away till he is a very old man. He may even serve out the rest of his life in prison.

Justice Kelly jailed Heinze for 16 months for his offending against the first backpacker.

Resentencing him for assaulting the second backpacker, and for breaching his bail, she revoked his suspended sentence and recorded convictions.

She jailed him for nine years for kidnapping the Brazilian, four years for indecently assaulting her and three years for intentionally causing her harm.

For intentionally causing serious harm to the German, she jailed him for eight years, for a further 12 for endangering her life and two years for assaulting her.

Ordering some of those terms be served culminatively and some concurrently, Justice Kelly imposed a head sentence of 22 years and four months’ jail.

She said there was “not a single positive factor” suggesting Heinze had “any prospect of rehabilitation”, nor felt any contrition or remorse.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...s/news-story/d2492c32e6dbaf768a71b8e292d8867f

So glad he got put away for a while. And yes - hopefully he dies in prison. A dangerous predator off the streets, finally.

I particularly liked 'the true Australian men who came to her aid'. They were of the immigrant group, who are much maligned by some people.

So glad he got put away for a while. And yes - hopefully he dies in prison. A dangerous predator off the streets, finally.

I truly believe another Ivan Milat has been stopped in his tracks but I wouldn't be surprised this evil hasn't killed before.
Yes I agree another dangerous predator off the streets, finally. Thank God!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...ze-sentenced/8532256?WT.ac=localnews_adelaide

And if the sentence wasn't enough. If he doesn't die in prison :jail: and gets released in his late 70s or early 80s he can't even drive himself.

"Heinze was also disqualified from holding a driver's licence for at least 10 years, starting from his release from prison. Any man who uses a motor vehicle as a weapon in the way you did that day has forfeited the privilege of holding a driver's licence," Justice Kelly said.

I am now a big fan of Justice Kelly. What a woman!!!:razz::yourock:

DRT, I want to thank you for all the work you've done on this thread. It's so appreciated!!

(I'm not sure if I've thanked you properly before......and I keep thinking it every time I see your name pop up)

:loveyou:

Thanks Anais. It has been a supportive group and the whole group has been fantastic. With your expert opinions and shared frustrations, JJ's tweets and expert research of the legal system and almost spot on guesstimate of the sentence. South Aussie's local knowledge appreciated. Aequita's interesting comments and links, Chris P saying things how they are!!

Every comment from the shared frustration at the suppression orders, the disbelief that anyone could be so predatory, the admiration of the bravery of the victims and the new admiration for my Justice Kelly.

now just keep him in prison till he's either dead or too old to hurt anyone else. he's dangerous.
and yes, a big thank you to those that kept this case up to date and full of what we needed to know. i appreciate it.

attachment.php

Justice Trish Kelly said Heinze had "anger management issues".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-17/salt-creek-backpack-attacker-roman-heinze-sentenced/8532256
that's an euphemism!

I'm just plain rejoicing over the sentencing. I still do wonder if more victims will come out of the woodwork following the publicity of Heinze's identity. Still think he looks like The Falconio suspect at the gas station- even more so having seen video of him and his build and gait walking to and from court. Also find it hard to believe he became a violent, sadistic rapist at age 60.

Justice Kelly is quite a woman.

UPDATE: Justice Kelly has taken a swipe at three off-duty police officers, while praising the “decent Australian men” who went to the aid of two young backpackers attacked at Salt Creek.

Those “fine young men” from Melbourne and a local roadhouse owner, each played a role in rescuing the Brazilian and German women after they were assaulted by sex predator Roman Heinze. At the same time, the judge mentioned the inaction of the three officers who were also in the area at the time of the offences.

“Fortunately there were some decent Australian men about the place that day. I’m not referring to the three off-duty police officers whose only apparent role in the drama unfolding on the beach around them that afternoon was apparently to drag a couple of eskies across the entrance to the beach and to carry on fishing. No, I’m not referring to them.”

Kelly, J said the heroes were two brothers, a group of fishermen and the local roadhouse owner who all played a role in rescuing the women as well as helping police capture their attacker despite the terror and fear they felt on the day.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s/news-story/f8d6158f70abf492349042e8a0a1a681

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s/news-story/f8d6158f70abf492349042e8a0a1a681

Justice Kelly said his victims and their rescuers experienced terror and fear and his conduct had damaged Australia’s reputation as a “safe and friendly” tourism destination.

She said, “Yours is not the conduct of a civilised human being but an enraged and somewhat primitive man lacking any moral compass whatsoever’’.

“I am totally convinced that if gone undetected your behaviour would have escalated and continued,” she said.

She also told RH that his conduct had effects on the wider community. “Men who commit crimes of the type you did ... and I say men because if I ever hear of a woman carrying on like that I’ll start to be gender inclusive. “Men who commit the kind of crimes you committed go a long way to destroying the community’s sense of security and safety,” she said.

“In committing these crimes you’ve undermined yet again the reputation of this country as a safe, attractive and friendly destination for young backpackers from all over the world.

And you’ve undermined for the whole community the ability to freely enjoy a beautiful wilderness area.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...9042e8a0a1a681

Quite frankly, I was more than a little surprised to see he's appealing his conviction. This may well mean that he'll appeal his sentence too. He probably has 7 days to notify the court of his intention to do so.

I doubt any more women will come forward now. There’s really no need for anyone to subject themselves to the stress and ordeal of a trial now that Kelly J has handed down a sentence RH so richly deserves. Any further sentences would probably be served concurrently or add a minimal amount of extra time. He’ll be an old man with nothing to look forward to in life when he’s released.

I still believe there are many more women he’s assaulted over the years.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this thread. We’re very small in number here but it’s been absolute pleasure to be part of such a lovely group of people.

See you all for the appeal.

JJ

I doubt any more women will come forward now. There’s really no need for anyone to subject themselves to the stress and ordeal of a trial now that Kelly J has handed down a sentence RH so richly deserves. Any further sentences would probably be served concurrently or add a minimal amount of extra time. He’ll be an old man with nothing to look forward to in life when he’s released.

I still believe there are many more women he’s assaulted over the years.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this thread. We’re very small in number here but it’s been absolute pleasure to be part of such a lovely group of people.

See you all for the appeal.

JJ

BBM

So true! This is the loveliest thread I've ever been on. :loveyou:

Is there any evidence that Heinze is an SK? Not that his crimes aren't heinous enough, just wondering.

I wonder if there isn't more information being held back from the public, scapa. So at this point there is no publicly-available evidence but I have to trust that the police have not finished with this guy. A man of 60 doesn't just suddenly turn evil and start raping people, I figure he's been active for 40 years or so, and detectives are likely trying to track his movements for the whole of that time and match up any unsolved rapes and murders.

Justice Kelly rocks.

Sent from my ZTE Blade L5 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle