Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police will be relying on High Court findings in other cases of people fleeing in fear and dying to make the murder charge stick.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n-the-gold-coast/story-fnihsrf2-1227026801082

Okay, so this is going back a few years ago, but I have a 1/3 complete Law degree (maybe I'll come back to it sooner or later), and I recall that while studying Criminal Law you CAN be found guilty of murder if the victim had a well-founded fear of being murdered, and he/she was trying to escape by the only means available to them (e.g. jumping off a building). As I recall the woman in that case locked herself in a bathroom and jumped out the bathroom window because her husband was REALLY trying to kill her.

So...yes, this kind of case is NOT new, and Mr Tostee is in an awful lot of trouble here, especially with these recordings (and his subsequent behaviour) available to police. :jail:

I'm in my sitting room looking at Avalon right now. It would be an impossible task to climb down to the balcony below when not fleeing from danger let alone when distressed.

Poor thing. :(

It will be interesting to see how the case unfolds.

Only this year there was a not guilty verdict in a case where someone was shot on the beach, the suspect having been in Tostee's old apartment building. There was enough doubt for the jury to dismiss the charges.

You'd want there to be pretty good evidence that the victim felt her life was in danger. A good defence lawyer could have a field day if the evidence is too flimsy.

Here is a close-up of the balconies again .. I imagine that Warriena got onto that outer ledge, then tried to hang from it and swing herself onto the balcony below. Well, that was the plan anyway.

463704-f998311c-22b8-11e4-b916-593f0283aa25.jpg

And what was he doing? He evidently knew, at some early point, that she was over the railing and making her way down. He sure got down to the lobby quickly. It would have taken police next to no time to get there, with the police presence in Surfers, and the police station on Orchid Ave is only 500m away, according to Google.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...69146263327!2m2!1d153.425719!2d-28.002245!3e2

He knew whatever he did was wrong .. leaving his phones, with their recordings, in the car so that they would not be found on him. Probably called TO first and arranged a meeting place close by, or told him he was coming over. Could not get back there to retrieve his phones due to a continued police presence at the Avalon.

Grrrrr .... hateful person!!!

QUEENSLAND schools have warned of a surge in children as young as 13 trawling through hook-up app Tinder.

The dating application has been thrown into the spotlight after Gold Coast man Gable Tostee, 28, was charged with the murder of Warriena Wright, 26, whom he met through Tinder.

While research shows 75 per cent of 10 and 11 year olds have one or more age restricted accounts on their devices, Tinder has been labelled the “worst ever app for teens”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ng-queenslanders/story-fnihsrf2-1227026806886

Wonderful to have all this evidence on his cell phones. How desperate he must have been to retrieve them.
Poor Warriena being so desperate to escape, that she thought she could get to another balcony.
It will be interesting to see if the police can get a murder charge to stick, they must be very confident they know exactly what was said/ done in those final minutes.
This case has become personal to me, I usually follow most high profile cases, but with Warriena being a kiwi and also working for the same company as my daughter does, I'll follow this to the end and do anything I can do to see she receives justice.

Isn't it just awful thinking about the absolute terror Rrie would've had to consider attempting to climb off the balcony? Poor, poor girl.

So he cooked his own goose with his recordings, hmm? I can see the defence using his alleged autism as a defence. I wonder what else they got on tape?

I may have missed this, but how did GT leave Avalon that night? The phones were found in the car in the car park, so presumably it didn't move. And surely the police would've stopped anyone from leaving?

The Courier-Mail article pretty much correlates with what I'd been thinking. I didn't think he'd thrown her off, nor that she fell whilst they were intimate on the balcony, rather she was fleeing. The incident being five and a half hours after they met, and that they'd been seen drinking and talking on the balcony, would indicate this occurred much earlier. Perhaps she went back in around midnight and slept, and was awoken by GT assaulting her? Disoriented perhaps, the balcony seemed like the quickest exit to escape by?

Murder sounds like a stretch. Either way, he needs to do time.

The prosecution must prove she was fearing for her life and fleeing to preserve her life - given the drastic measure she was taking to escape him a very reasonable proposition and not at all far-fetched - his conduct after also betrays a consciousness of guilt (admissible at law) - there is a number of "fleeing" cases that have made it all the way to the High Court and the murder conviction has been upheld - manslaughter more likely IMO .

It's actually really good for LE that he hid behind the pillar and hid the three mobiles in the basement. That shows that he fully understood the consequences of his actions. And that's the cornerstone of a defence arguing for a mental illness plea.....that he wasn't mentally competent. Well, hiding yourself and hiding key evidence shows mental cognizance. Good luck to the defence on the 'he's autistic and knows not what he does.....' line.

And for what it's worth, I would think there's no way the police would come in with a charge of murder without being pretty darn sure it will stick. As SouthAussie said, they would have sought advice on the charges before they laid them.

I personally am going to visualise a huge GUILTY OF MURDER verdict hanging over his head.:jail:

What kind of a man hides behind a pillar??!!

Maybe they're hoping he'll admit guilt in exchange for a lesser charge.

I'm pretty surprised too, by the claim that Warriena was trying to climb the balcony.. That's just an incredibly dangerous thing to do, she had to know how high up she was. Must have been VERY scared for her life. That's an act of terrible desperation.

Maybe they're hoping he'll admit guilt in exchange for a lesser charge.

I'm pretty surprised too, by the claim that Warriena was trying to climb the balcony.. That's just an incredibly dangerous thing to do, she had to know how high up she was. Must have been VERY scared for her life. That's an act of terrible desperation.

I know!! That news just makes me SO sad for her.........:(

Has he admitted to steroid use on the bodybuilding forums or elsewhere?

I am trying to say this in a way that doesn't sound like I am victim blaming because Rrie does NOT deserve what happened to her.

I hope that the dangers of Tinder are highlighted even further through this case so that people stop making such unsafe choices. It is SO awful that people are meeting strangers alone after hooking up on this app. I love the Gold Coast (but not when schoolies are there) - Cavill Mall is one of my favourite places. But you have to be careful - it is known to be a dangerous place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard