Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he too was made subject to attack upon his debut here, as he himself has posted.

Whatever. He persevered in a most respectful manner and is therefore well respected. It is hard to disrespect someone who shows us great respect, and treats us as the intelligent human beings that we are.

Probably because my posts were not victim friendly. But the term "victim bashing" has somehow been interpreted as ascribing any blame to the victim. Yet that is exactly what this case was about! Did he force her or did she go over herself? The very suggestion that her death was the consequence of her own actions has been criticised on this forum, yet that was exactly what the verdict was.

I will be interested to watch how this case is discussed now. If we can't ascribe blame to the victim, how do you discuss it? Ignore the verdict and assume he was convicted?

I think members here will continue to discuss this as they see fit. And for as long as Mods. let us and people have something to say.

I respect what you're saying and i understand what you're saying, but i would have thought those in the legal industry would have a thicker skin when it comes to their profession. I don't see why it should be taken personally, it's a public forum. Besides, judges and lawyers have a voice. Victims do not.

I am very proud of my profession. The legals in this trial have worked incredibly hard. They have immense integrity. Suggesting they are corrupt just because someone doesn't understand legal concepts, or because the verdict wasn't what one had hoped is offensive to not only the players, but the whole profession.

Probably because my posts were not victim friendly. But the term "victim bashing" has somehow been interpreted as ascribing any blame to the victim. Yet that is exactly what this case was about! Did he force her or did she go over herself? The very suggestion that her death was the consequence of her own actions has been criticised on this forum, yet that was exactly what the verdict was.

I will be interested to watch how this case is discussed now. If we can't ascribe blame to the victim, how do you discuss it? Ignore the verdict and assume he was convicted?

We will no doubt continue with our belief that his actions were morally wrong, he choked and terrified Warriena, and that he is a no-good dangerous loser.
Why on earth would we ignore the verdict? It is what it is. Right or wrong.

And there are certainly incompetent lawyers ... and incompetent bankers ... and incompetent politicians ... and incompetent people in every profession. Just being a lawyer (or any other professional/worker) does not necessarily make one competent.

A QC after the name does.

Maybe because that's what the court is for ...?
And we are not have those same constraints.

Totally correct, but when the Court makes a decision which contradicts the thrust of open slather speculation as happens here, there is then an attempt to discredit the Judicial System and those like me, who defend it as entirely worthy. You can see it happening right here in this Thread. If you read that long post of mine made earlier, I explain how that is so inevitable.

I am very proud of my profession. The legals in this trial have worked incredibly hard. They have immense integrity. Suggesting they are corrupt just because someone doesn't understand legal concepts, or because the verdict wasn't what one had hoped is offensive to not only the players, but the whole profession.

And they get paid extremely well for their work don't they? Doctors work very hard too and get paid extremely well but not all are competent at what they do. Same as any other profession i would think.

No, they [words] are not a collection of letters on a screen. They are words and words have meanings. Words combined with grammar and punctuation work together to covey what the writer is trying to express. This is called communication. If i'm being pedantic about it ...

I'm sorry if concerning myself with the victim whose life has actually been lost and not someone who has their life offends anybody.

Once again, just because someone is not legally responsible for someone's death does not mean they aren't morally responsible in some people's eyes.

BBM.

Thank you Jess. Your explanation of human communication is far from pedantic. It is eloquent and accurate.

Sound complicated? It was.

The Director of Public Prosecutions had no choice but to move forward with this case and there certainly was enough evidence — the harrowing audio recording was almost unprecedented — for it to be in the hands of a jury.

The public, and no doubt Wright’s family, wanted answers and someone to pay for her death.

Tostee was, as his defence team said, a “cartoonish villain” in the eyes of some. He should never have put her out on that balcony and in the aftermath reacted horribly to a tragic situation.

But the jury was right to acquit him of murder and manslaughter.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...y/news-story/8f233ccfbf434ead09491a039da3a6bb

Some men are awesome. Some men are absolute *****s.

Guess what, John? You get to choose which one you are. You really do! You don't have to be hated and therefore in the camp that thinks women hate men. Self-reflection might lead you to the answer that it is not all men, but... one.

So true. The ones who don't rape, murder, assault, degrade or humiliate are generally not hated.

It is my opinion that Warriena has had more than enough blame ascribed to her for the outcome of the events of that night. She is dead. What greater penalty is there for her or for her family? You may possess legal acumen but you seem to be somewhat deficient in compassion.

That can't be it for Rrie. I won't let it be.

Never forget. Never forgive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A Spring wedding would be lovely, Pain. Shall I book the celebrant for October next year?

It is my opinion that Warriena has had more than enough blame ascribed to her for the outcome of the events of that night. She is dead. What greater penalty is there for her or for her family? You may possess legal acumen but you seem to be somewhat deficient in compassion.

:goodpost:

Exactly. It's always easier to blame someone that has died, they can't defend themselves anymore, :( How damn convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson