Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall NSW, 12 Sept 2014 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is a potential child molester, we should be aware of that, some have just not been caught yet.

I don't think so. The world is filled with people who are good, kind and protective of children and who would rather slit their own wrists than hurt a child in such a violent and evil manner.

Vigilante groups, could be one reason they don't want to.

The United States doesn't have this problem at all to my knowledge and the public can lookup the current home address of any registered sex offender in the nation. It is used as a tool to know who to stay away from in your neighborhood.

It would be good to see a public referendum on the matter of a national sex offender register. Possible vigilantism vs increased child protection. Let the people decide.

3 of our 8 states/territories - NT, WA and SA - have all decided to go with a public register, and I have yet to hear of any vigilante acts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-15/nt-online-public-sex-offender-register-daniels-law/5814942
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/sex-offender-register-ready-in-july-20120308-1unf1.html
http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/story/2161775/child-sex-offender-register-published/

Vigilante groups, could be one reason they don't want to.

Theres's definitely the occasional case where the firefighter is actually the guy who started the fire.

Justice gets very, very murky when it's mob-rule.

I'd rather invest in proper processes, and tightening/rethinking of child welfare rules. And it looks like that is happening, albeit a little slow.

Also, individuals such as these, when put under pressure (social, financial etc) are more likely to commit crimes, than if they're (albeit unknowingly) welcome in their community, comfortable etc.

At least according to the pro's - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/lif...ld-sex-offenders/story-e6frg8h6-1227078787836

In Australia, the radio talkback host Derryn Hinch has campaigned for a national public register of sex offenders to be created by the end of 2014. His “Protect our Children” petition has more than 153,000 signatures and states: “A public register is a right and a national duty that is long overdue.”

This sentiment is not shared by Hales or Howlett. Publicly naming child sex offenders can mean they go to ground. “When that happens, the risk increases,” Hales says. The vast majority of crimes against children are committed not by convicted paedophiles but by family members. Hales believes you have to reach out to a sex offender to be able to police them. Next month, she will travel to the UK and Canada on a three-month Churchill Fellowship, studying how they manage the registered offenders living in their communities. What are the risk factors, such as homelessness, unemployment and social isolation that can lead a sex offender to reoffend?

As controversial as it may seem at first, the answers might involve providing government services such as housing and employment for these offenders, to help prevent more crimes taking place. “People may see it as supporting them, but it’s helping them to be members of society who don’t offend,” Hales says. The police “can’t be there 24/7 but we can put things in place”.

Maybe I'm bloody minded but I think alleged offences that have made it as far as police reports should be marked against the offenders name too! Yes there are some cases of false accusations however that is less common. Maybe it's a case of where three smoke there's fire!

And yes the filth hide amongst us... Most recent case is the officer that befriended the morcombe family only to be exposed as a vile pedo himself... How devastating for this family?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm bloody minded but I think alleged offences that have made it as far as police reports should be marked against the offenders name too!

I understand the sentiment, but I'd much rather know who the real perpetrator is. And the real perpetrator is locked up.

IIRC LE were initially unaware of DOCs current investigation at the time of naming BS as POI.

I'm not confident that DOCS is the first agency who would be aware of such allegations.

The Police tell DOCS about it, not the other way around.

Also, individuals such as these, when put under pressure (social, financial etc) are more likely to commit crimes, than if they're (albeit unknowingly) welcome in their community, comfortable etc.

At least according to the pro's - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/lif...ld-sex-offenders/story-e6frg8h6-1227078787836

That makes a certain amount of sense to me. Thinking in terms of experiences I can relate to, like losing weight or quitting smoking, when would I expect someone to be more likely to fall off the wagon? When they're under pressure or stressed. When are people more likely to succeed in controlling themselves and not giving into food/nicotine cravings? When everything else in their lives is going smoothly.

OT - Maybe I just haven't noticed it before but what is with the ad's lately? I was scrolling through before and there was a picture of a man climbing something on someones post and I was about to ask what on earth that picture had relevance too but I refreshed the page and sure enough it was where an ad was sitting... Lucky I didn't ask haha!

Everyone can be accused of being a molestor.

Joining a lynch-mob might be a great place to hide undetected.

The bully in the schoolyard is often acting out his own insecurities.

This stuff ain't healthy. Leave it to the police and proper process.

Aw, subscriber only. :(
Is the same article available elsewhere? Anyone know? Thanks!

I don't get the pay wall thingy.
I do not subscribe and have no trouble getting the article.

Mother demands answers on why her children were living with Bill Spedding
http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...th-bill-spedding/story-fns0kb1g-1227322744804

sorry if links already been posted

The mother whose three children were living with Mr Spedding at the time William disappeared in Kendall last September, said she had raised the allegations surrounding the alleged 1987 abuse involving Mr Spedding during a meeting with state authorities roughly 2½ years ago.

Really?? Really NSW?? Pathetic.

Mother demands answers on why her children were living with Bill Spedding
http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...th-bill-spedding/story-fns0kb1g-1227322744804

sorry if links already been posted

I thank you for posting that, if it had been posted before I missed it.

That is disturbing, 1987 first known offence. What a sad realization that a little child can be found to have suffered sexual assault and nothing be done, glad the times are changing and society is finally starting to speak up for the children.

Would BS and MS been married then? I can't remember how long they were married

What's the chances that he didn't abuse his own children,

That is disturbing, 1987 first known offence. What a sad realization that a little child can be found to have suffered sexual assault and nothing be done, glad the times are changing and society is finally starting to speak up for the children.

They were married for the magic number of... 28 years

From what I remember, they were married 28 years ago at the time of little Will's disappearance. So bang on 1987 actually. Which is interesting.

Everyone can be accused of being a molestor.

Joining a lynch-mob might be a great place to hide undetected.

The bully in the schoolyard is often acting out his own insecurities.

This stuff ain't healthy. Leave it to the police and proper process.

I'm with you on this Butterstick. You can start treading on some very dangerous ground if you pre-empt the court system, lousy and frustrating as it is sometimes.

I see a lot of potential to destroy innocent lives. Yes I know children are innocent too, but if we go round with pitchforks against folks doing our own form of justice things get out of hand very quickly. And yes, there would be a bunch of molestors and peddos leading the charge just to make themselves look good.

I've just been reminded of something that happened in my street a few years ago. One of our residents, a brickie, had two nice little kids. He fell out with a client over a job. The client then letter dropped to the entire neighbourhood that our brickie was a peddo who abused his own kids. People who didn't even know Steve's* name were suddenly gossiping about him in the streets. His wife went through a bit of hell as well. Luckily it was found out to be false very quickly and it all went away. But it could have stuck. It's easy for someone to be accused maliciously and then find it very hard to live it down. So there is that side of the coin.

*not his real name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members