Found Safe AZ - Amy Harshbarger, 40, and two sons, 13 & 7, Tempe, Arrest Warrant, 13 Aug 2021 *Mom arrested*

Did she withdraw a large sum of cash. Any activity on her credit cards? This is a start. Contacting family or friends she may be staying with. I’m sure this is obvious information.

could she have a fake ID to be checking into hotels to stay at? Camping? Shelters? Living out of car? She needs either cash or someone helping for basic needs unless this was very well planned with food/water/shelter plans in place.

Oh no, this is terrible for those kids! I wonder if they could find a way to contact their dads, or some other adult that they know. I don't know about 7, but 13 is definitely old enough to be resourceful and get to someone's phone, if they don't have their own. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. They'll do something that will garner attention and be found.

how do I do that?

Welcome to WS @STR3TCH1982 , even if it is under such complicated circumstances.
I am requoting in case you have not seen the link posted, please follow the steps explained there (send email with required information you will be contacted soon to finalize).
Up to then you are a member as others and can only share what is in sources like msm etc.
But the WS members would be eager to help and support you, so we appreciate you following the process. Thanks in advance!

Safety and comfort to the boys!

images

publicdomainpictures.net

jmho ymmv lrr

Need a court expert here to check this for the August info (what does it mean please?)

Family Court Case Information - Case History
I'm not an expert (criminal justice-related field doctorate, NOT a lawyer). But in reading the documents it looks like the mother petitioned for Modification of Legal Decision Making/Parenting Time and Child Support. In my opinion, she likely believed it was not going to go in her favor and took off with the kids. It looks like an emergency order was granted in her absence based on the court records. It beats the scenario of lost in the wilderness camping but kids never win in these situations.

Did she withdraw a large sum of cash. Any activity on her credit cards? This is a start. Contacting family or friends she may be staying with. I’m sure this is obvious information.

could she have a fake ID to be checking into hotels to stay at? Camping? Shelters? Living out of car? She needs either cash or someone helping for basic needs unless this was very well planned with food/water/shelter plans in place.
I pay child support, not sure how it is delivered in AZ, but here in Ohio it is a debit card and that can be traced.

This is strange, or the facts/details are not being released to the media. She takes off and nobody knows where, only that she mentioned going camping in possibly two different areas? Where is the boy's father, her parents, family, friends, and shouldn't the boys be starting school? Are they from Tempe, headed toward Alabama/TN? Anyone know?
She homeschools Garrett

ADMIN NOTE:

STR3TCH1982 has been approved as a Verified insider / family member in this discussion. He is Garrett's father.

As a VI, STR3TCH1982 is not required to provide links to support their knowledge of the case or any inside information they may have. Please treat our VI respectfully at all times and do not argue or badger them for information. If you disagree with something they share, just move on without bickering.

Thank you to everyone for being here to discuss this case, and special thanks to STR3TCH1982. We certainly wish we were meeting you under different circumstances.

Ugh, this makes me sick. Let’s find those boys safe.

I am confused about location. She lives in AZ? Told someone (who?) about camping in Prescott or Payson (both are in AZ). However, if I understand correctly, she has been spotted in Alabama since the date when she took off with the boys?

I’m just trying to determine where to start looking.

Hopefully, she is using credit/debit cards and can be tracked that way.

Praying for these boys to be kept safe.

I'm not an expert (criminal justice-related field doctorate, NOT a lawyer). But in reading the documents it looks like the mother petitioned for Modification of Legal Decision Making/Parenting Time and Child Support. In my opinion, she likely believed it was not going to go in her favor and took off with the kids. It looks like an emergency order was granted in her absence based on the court records. It beats the scenario of lost in the wilderness camping but kids never win in these situations.

Looks to me that a Notice of Appearance of Counsel was filed with the Emergency Petition to Modify Custody, and the only party who is listed as being currently represented by counsel is the dad, I assume HE filed, not her. jmo

My thoughts:

Are Payson and Prescott popular areas to go camping in?

Do they have any friends or family in Alabama?

I live somewhat in between Payson & Prescott (AZ native). There are a multitude of camping spots, some well-known, some off the beaten path. Some of the forests are closed due to the fires we had over the last several months but the wilderness is vast and one could easily get lost.

FWIW, Shane Rollman went missing/was found in this area last year (Rimrock is slightly north & between Payson/Prescott). Not related in any way, but I'm mentioning because weather-related deaths are common this time of year and it gives a bit of a point of reference.

No idea what happened to Amy & her boys, but if they were camping with minimal supplies or have little experience camping in this area, they could have easily succumbed to the heat (speculating).

Hope they are found quickly if they ARE out in the elements

Alright, now that I’ve been verified I’ll try and provide some context as to what I think is going on.
First a little history: I met Amy in high school, we graduated together in 2000. We did things like hold hands and write each other letters. Her mother did not like me calling, so letters were our best option as not everyone had email in the 90’s.
Her home life was very rough, her father Clark was a physically abusive alcoholic who made a living as a trucker and her mother Jeannie homeschooled their 3 girls Jennifer, Amy, and Sarah. I heard countless horror stories from Amy about her mom and dad during our time together.
Strange things like her mom keeping dead birds in the freezer, not allowing numbing agents during dentist visits unless the kids could pay for it. Keeping tabs on how much money her children owed her for things that parent should provide. More than once her mother fled to Alabama by herself, one of those times taking Amy’s savings with her. This is anecdotal of course, as I only have Amy’s word as evidence. So, not a great home life. Fast forward to 2004, Amy and I reconnected before I moved to Flagstaff AZ, and after I moved we continued to write letters and talk on the phone. She moved to AZ a year later.
We were together for about 5 years out in AZ living in the Mesa/Tempe area. Amy got pregnant in 2007 and we had our son Garrett in 2008. her mother warned her that I might try and kill her during her pregnancy, because “some men just don’t want to be fathers” as soon as Amy got back from her maternity leave she was laid off from her job. They called it corporate restructuring, she was the only one from the phx office to be let go.
We moved to Avondale and I started as a student at UTI, working part time and going to school full time. Things fell apart, she became a different person. She made herself a bedroom in our walk in closet until she could find a new place to stay.
I helped her move to a new apartment in Tempe, she had hidden Garrett’s social security card from me and filed her taxes to get the child credit. I was upset, but hopeful that maybe some time apart was what we needed. I would come to her apartment and watch Garrett while she ran errands or did women’s group stuff with her church. She would never let me take him anywhere by myself. One morning I showed up to watch him and I had been out drinking with some friends the night before. I still smelled like booze, but was not intoxicated. I was at her apartment for about an hour and when she was leaving I swooped Garrett in for a goodbye kiss and she smelled it. This is where things started to get crazy. She said “you’re drunk” I told her that I wasn’t and explained why I smelled like alcohol. She grabbed Garrett from me and told me to leave. I decided not to argue with her, and I left. I felt that any police involvement could jeopardize my ability to see my son. After this she started making up excuses as to why I couldn’t see him. Once because I refused to tell her details about a court case I had with my apartment complex over some damage to a gate, she refused to let me come see him. I decided that she might just need some time to cool off, so I didn’t press her to see him for a few weeks. She stopped answering my calls, and on that Father’s Day I was served with a protection order. In it she alleged that I had shown up drunk to care for our son, alleged that I had sent her death threats, and accused me of copying her apartment key and breaking in. She accused me of drug abuse, I did 6 months of once a week random urinalysis and passed every one. None of these things were true. I immediately got a lawyer. I didn’t see garrett for a year after that. She would lie and refuse to cooperate with any co parenting initiatives. I eventually got supervised visitation, that cost me 75 dollars a visit. I did that for a year until I could no longer afford to live in AZ. I moved home to Ohio in 2011. The last time I tried to contact her was in 2011, she never returned my call but I did get a call from the Tempe police asking me to just leave her alone. She has kept her whereabouts hidden from me since the protection order. She would not even let my family see my son, she wanted to punish us. She has threatened my parents with this in a letter that they never shared with me until years after the fact. So, why does all of this matter?

After she was reported missing, I was contacted by the grandparents of Miles. His grandmother Donna told me that she had heard a whole lot about me during the two years her son and Amy dated. After she had miles she proceeded to try the same things she had successfully done with me. The lies, the withholding of the child, the court battles. She lost this time and had to accept 50/50 parenting. Maybe I needed a better lawyer.
She checked miles out of school early to go on a “camping trip” during her week, miles was missing from school for an entire week before his family found out. I believe that she has kidnapped miles and is on the run. She is mentally unstable and owns an unregistered colt .38 police+ revolver that she calls “hank” Miles grandma told me that miles has mentioned hank in the past so I assume she still has the gun and if she has deteriorated mentally to the point of kidnapping I fear that she would use it if approached by authorities. She has family in Alabama, and Ohio.
Her family believes everything she told them about me, so they probably believe everything she told them about Shawn. I do not trust them. I believe that they helped bankroll her side of our custody battle. Her mother would hide her.

this has been a long post, when I heard they went missing in the high desert I feared the worst. Once I spoke with miles grandparents I suspected foul play. Everything I know and they know has been reported to the Tempe police department.

-Justin

Thank you, @STR3TCH1982, for sharing such personal information with us, so we can understand a little bit about Amy.

How much of an outdoors person is Amy? Could she manage camping out, off grid, for a length of time? Did she go camping a lot, so it didn't really raise any red flags when she said she was going camping?

G is 13; would he be aware things weren't right with this trip?

Please don't feel obligated to answer; only what you feel comfortable sharing.

Thank you, @STR3TCH1982, for sharing such personal information with us, so we can understand a little bit about Amy.

How much of an outdoors person is Amy? Could she manage camping out, off grid, for a length of time? Did she go camping a lot, so it didn't really raise any red flags when she said she was going camping?

G is 13; would he be aware things weren't right with this trip?

Please don't feel obligated to answer; only what you feel comfortable sharing.
She’s pretty outdoorsy, grew up in a small rural town in Ohio called south Vienna. She’s pretty smart and I don’t think she would put herself in a dangerous situation on a camp out/ hike, esp with her children.

Do you think she would be more likely to shelter with someone who was willing to keep her whereabouts secret vs camping somewhere?

Is there any indication if she'd planned this carefully or more of an impulse thing?

Do you think she would be more likely to shelter with someone who was willing to keep her whereabouts secret vs camping somewhere?

Is there any indication if she'd planned this carefully or more of an impulse thing?
The dropping hints about where she might be going is suspect to me, sounds like a cover. Amy is a very gifted writer so cooking something up isn’t out of the ballpark.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back