Found Safe AZ - Amy Harshbarger, 40, and two sons, 13 & 7, Tempe, Arrest Warrant, 13 Aug 2021 *Mom arrested*

Thinking about the boys.

From the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office website through Warrant Lookup, this is confirming that the warrant is, in fact, for kidnapping (the previous info we had was through Maricopa County Courts and did not list kidnapping, though we assumed as much).

Hoping that Amy has a reckoning and realizes a life on the run is not the way to raise the kids. It will take a lot of work and healing to get into a healthy space, but the boys are worth it and deserve a stable, full, safe life.

She had to have known this was coming, or she wouldn't flee. Good for Shawn for following through.

How smart is Amy? Would she be smart enough to head in an entirely different direction after Alabama? How is she supporting herself?

Hopefully, the kidnapping charge will enable LE to subpoena all her banking and phone records.

Glad to see the charges; more eyes out for her.

Also, ramifications for anyone who helps her.

I'm hoping she's just hiding out and will surface or someone will drop that dime. (Geeze, I'm old.)

I'm just concerned about that Operation Underground Railroad frame on her FB account. With her current custody battle, and her history of it, it makes me very nervous.

@STR3TCH1982, and you Shawn are both in my thoughts along with your families. Very glad to hear you guys are working together and working with LE for a positive resolution.

Hmmm.... interesting thought. She ran with the boys to prevent their fathers from having access, and yet once she's found she'll lose all access to the boys who will likely go with their fathers. Karma anyone?

I hope so too, I can’t imagine what is going through Garrett and Miles heads right now. It’s definitely been stressful, more so on my wife than I. She’s a very empathetic person and we have 4 kids of our own, so things like missing children really get to her. My thoughts are with Shawn, I went through it years ago but this is much worse than a custody battle over a toddler. You feel powerless and alone, no matter how much support you have from friends and family.

I know that you're referring to the immediate situation but I also wanted to suggest the following--

I don't know what you've done in the past or if it would even be of interest to you (or if with 4 kids you even have time) but there are online groups for parents who have been separated from their children by parental alienation. Websleuths is pretty cool, but those communities might be helpful for you to connect with other parents who have been through what you have and are still going through. Also, maybe others have been through a parental kidnapping and can give you and /or Shawn some advice or share how it eventually came to a safe, successful end.

I know that you're referring to the immediate situation but I also wanted to suggest the following--

I don't know what you've done in the past or if it would even be of interest to you (or if with 4 kids you even have time) but there are online groups for parents who have been separated from their children by parental alienation. Websleuths is pretty cool, but those communities might be helpful for you to connect with other parents who have been through what you have and are still going through. Also, maybe others have been through a parental kidnapping and can give you and /or Shawn some advice or share how it eventually came to a safe, successful end.
That’s a good idea, but time is definitely an issue for me. 4 young kids 8, 5, 3, and 1.5, plus a 45 min commute. I am in counseling, I see my therapist several times a month. I’d probably benefit from a support group too. Thank you.

Oh my, this is another tragic situation where one parent disappears with the kids and the other parent (in this case two fathers) and extended families are left frantic with worry. I will never understand how the decision to run seems wiser than working out custody in the best interest of the children. Amy will lose custody of both boys now and we can only hope that they are returned to their fathers and receive the support going forward that they will need ... heartbreaking ...Moo

That’s a good idea, but time is definitely an issue for me. 4 young kids 8, 5, 3, and 1.5, plus a 45 min commute. I am in counseling, I see my therapist several times a month. I’d probably benefit from a support group too. Thank you.

You deserve this level of self-care, your wife & all 5 of your children will benefit!

Hope you're getting enough sleep -- or at least as much sleep as a Dad of 4 little kids can....

Best, Laughing

jmho ymmv lrr

I’ve lost hope that the boys aren’t aware of what’s going on. Surely she took their phones from them which probably makes them upset and confused and alone.

There's zero chance a 13yo isn't aware of what's going on, imo. Since his brother is with his dad 50% of the time, that alone is a change he won't be able to easily ignore.

I do hope they're both safe, though, and located soon.

There's zero chance a 13yo isn't aware of what's going on, imo. Since his brother is with his dad 50% of the time, that alone is a change he won't be able to easily ignore.

I do hope they're both safe, though, and located soon.
Agreed. At first, it seemed like they could have been kept in the dark. Until Shawn went to pick up his son from school and reported them missing. Up until then it’s possible they could have just been on a trip. At least I like to think they were scared and upset the entire time.

"She stopped using her cellphone the day prior, possibly destroying it, according to court documents.

[...]

Court documents show police spoke to a "subject" who denied any knowledge at first, but then said Harshbarger had fled Arizona with her children and that she traded her two vehicles in exchange for a third, which was photographed by a license plate reader in Alabama, in order to evade police. The documents also say the subject and Harshbarger had a mutual friend who had recently moved to Tennessee.

The subject also told police Harshbarger fled because she said Hammack was abusive to their shared child.

However, court documents say those allegations have been investigated by police and by the family division of the court, and have been unfounded. "

Warrant issued for Tempe mother accused of custodial interference | 12news.com

"She stopped using her cellphone the day prior, possibly destroying it, according to court documents.

[...]

Court documents show police spoke to a "subject" who denied any knowledge at first, but then said Harshbarger had fled Arizona with her children and that she traded her two vehicles in exchange for a third, which was photographed by a license plate reader in Alabama, in order to evade police. The documents also say the subject and Harshbarger had a mutual friend who had recently moved to Tennessee.

The subject also told police Harshbarger fled because she said Hammack was abusive to their shared child.

However, court documents say those allegations have been investigated by police and by the family division of the court, and have been unfounded. "

Warrant issued for Tempe mother accused of custodial interference | 12news.com

So .... if they saw the vehicle with a license plate reader they must have some idea where she is or at least where she is headed. Sounds like the “subject” might be “doing the right thing” and assisting LE, and shared the name of the mutual friend. Feels like this situation might resolve soon ... hoping. So sad for the boys who will be separated from their mother likely indefinitely. What a shame, all she had to do was honor the relationships with her sons fathers ... that’s all. Moo

They’ve been found in lewisburg West Virginia. The boys are safe and Amy has been taken into custody.
Oh I am so very happy for you all - it's rare we get to share in good news with the missing children cases we follow. Best to you and your families- we are a caring community here at WS. Thank you for sharing your story.

JMO

They’ve been found in lewisburg West Virginia. The boys are safe and Amy has been taken into custody.

So relieved to hear they are doing well, and that this part is over for you, your family and Miles' family.
It may be a long, bumpy road ahead but I hope you feel renewed energy as you move forward. You have been very candid here and for what you have been put through (long and short term), it's telling & impressive that your concern was only for your boy's well-being, not bitterly vilifying Amy.
Be patient with your son and yourself. Use all of the resources available. Look into those specific supports groups (online) for others who have been alienated. Sending you, your wife, and all 5 kids healing and happiness.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle79903
Back