Found Deceased AZ - Angela Tramonte, 31, hiking w/ off-duty LE, met on Instagram, Phoenix, 30 Jul 2021

Good link and maps of Camelback. It shows the trails and where homes are near the mountain. Never hiked it, I'm south of Phoenix. My apologies if already posted. I've been following this locally. AZP, you're right about the water warnings.

10 Tips Before Hiking Camelback Mountain Phoenix

Hiking in Phoenix means taking water. Lots of water.
At the Camelback trailhead water fountains and restrooms are available. There is no water supply on Camelback mountain once you begin climbing. Bring a backpack to carry at least one litre of water per person. A large sign on the route suggests that once you have consumed half your water supply you should turn around.

eta, per google

How long does it take to hike Camelback Mountain in Phoenix?

about 2 to 3 hours

Hiking Camelback

Is Echo or Cholla harder?

The Cholla Trail is 1.5 miles one way to the mountain summit. The Echo Canyon Trail is 1.3 miles one way to the mountain summit. While both hikes have the same hike rating, Cholla is known as being slightly easier.

Both are rated extremely difficult. The Echo Canyon hike is the more rugged of the two and requires steep climbs and scrambling over large rocks. The Cholla Trail, while a little bit less strenuous, is also a little bit longer. The beginning of the hike is easy, with switchbacks and even terrain.Aug 11, 2017

how long is camelback mountain hike phoenix az - Google Search

Last edited:
Phoenix police said there is no evidence to indicate foul play should be suspected, and detectives are waiting to hear the official cause and manner of death from the medical examiner. Police confirmed Tramonte had her phone with her when she was found.

“The City employee who was with Ms. Tramonte is a witness and is cooperating with investigators,” police said. “He has been granted personal time off and has been offered resources to deal with this tragedy.”

Tramonte’s friends don’t appear to be convinced, and noted “inconsistencies in the timeline” and that the officer “clearly has no regard for her safety.”
Police say foul play not suspected in death of Angela Tramonte
upload_2021-8-4_10-27-25.jpeg
“We want answers, justice, and more research to find out what this guy really is,” Stacy Geraldi told CBS Boston.

“As a first responder, you are supposed to help people,” she said. “Why don’t you walk behind her? Why do you keep walking back?”

“Knowing she’s there, she’ll be alone, it doesn’t make sense,” another friend, Salina Viola, intervened.

“It doesn’t make sense,” Gerardi agreed. “They need to keep watching.”

Disdar told police that Tramonte had asked him to continue walking in the mountains to take pictures that could be shared on social media pages, and they reportedly agreed to meet in the car.

Officials said he requested help around 1 pm on Friday, but was reportedly unable to find her in the parking lot as they agreed, and rescued more than 30 firefighters and police helicopters. A corps was dispatched to the scene.

Her friends returning to Massachusetts are seeking an investigation into her death, even though authorities have stated that they do not believe the fraud is involved.

After hours of searching, authorities said she noticed her body was unresponsive. [and] Beyond the resurrection efforts, “and she was declared dead on the scene.

According to The Boston Globe, she didn’t seem to have water when she was found dead, even though the temperature reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit that day.

Investigators believe she was found near her house when she was seeking help.

“But at that point, [she] Phoenix fire brigade captain Rob McDade told Globe.

This mountain doesn’t care who you are or how great or experienced hiker you are, “McDade said. “In such a situation, the mountain usually wins.”

A female friend who died with a police officer on a hike in the Arizona desert demands a "thorough investigation" - Texas News Today

Last edited:
The only thing I find weird about this story is the failure to take water. But what's the motive for that since they both would suffer? Camelback isn't THAT difficult. I've done it with both of my kids under 12. jmo

The only thing I find weird about this story is the failure to take water. But what's the motive for that since they both would suffer? Camelback isn't THAT difficult. I've done it with both of my kids under 12. jmo

If, Camelback isn't that difficult, as you stated.....could they have thought that it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they didn't take any water. That it wouldn't really take them that long of a hike, so why bother?

May be she (or both) had just consumed a bottle of water and thought that was enough.
At least she had sense enough to realize she was starting to not feel well....

jmo

If, Camelback isn't that difficult, as you stated.....could they have thought that it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they didn't take any water. That it wouldn't really take them that long of a hike, so why bother?

May be she (or both) had just consumed a bottle of water and thought that was enough.

jmo

It's difficult enough that an Arizona first responder would bring water if the temp was over 100. When I hiked it, I didn't. But it wasn't 105 degrees, either. In the past several years the local media has REALLY stressed that you need to hydrate to make the climb. But that's mostly addressed to tourists. I can see how he could have thought they were hydrated enough. But, like I said, the issue to me is that they BOTH didn't have water. And he's not a camel. So what did he have to gain by not bringing water for himself, either?

eta: it is difficult, just not that difficult for young people in good shape. I would never suggest that a person over 45 who doesn't exercise regularly climb it.

etaa: I asked my son who has climbed it in the past three months and he did bring a hydroflask.

Last edited:
I guess this is IMO But Camelback is not an easy or even a moderate hike for most people. It is rated between difficult and double black diamond. Downright brutal for some.

That said, some people hike it every day, I kid you not.

But for someone on vacation from a climate so very different, hiking CB for the first time, no matter which trail she took, with or without water, is risky.

We don't hike it often simply because it is too crowded.

What's up with that article linked from @imstilla.grandma up thread? Must be a translation. Did she come to AZ with friends?

I guess this is IMO But Camelback is not an easy or even a moderate hike for most people. It is rated between difficult and double black diamond. Downright brutal for some.

But for someone on vacation from a climate so very different, hiking CB for the first time, no matter which trail she took, with or without water, is risky.

What's up with that article linked from @imstilla.grandma up thread? Must be a translation. Did she come to AZ with friends?

I'll agree that it's not easy for most people. But it's not that hard for young people in good physical condition. These were relatively young, seemingly fit people who shouldn't have had much problem. I can understand getting overheated and I don't
know why they didn't bring water, but this strikes me as the absolute most obvious thing to do for young people who "met" on instragram. A pic at the top of Cambelback is a social media "goal" :::eyeroll:::

“Her mother said, ‘I don’t want you to go,'” Tramonte’s aunt Jeanette Comeau said on Thursday. But Tramonte was fiercely independent and an experienced traveler. And she was eager to meet Dizdar, who she believed she may have had a future with.

“Angela was a young, beautiful, 31-year-old woman looking for love. She wanted to get married and to have children,” Comeau said. “Unfortunately this guy lured her to Phoenix.”

“It didn’t matter if we were worried or not, she was going,” friend Stacey Gerardi said. “She was always traveling independently. She was a traveler.”
Deadly Camelback Mountain Mystery Deepens as Angela Tramonte’s Friends, Family Reveal More About The Hours Before Her Death

Sorry, I just noticed this. I thought the same thing about some of the words used and hesitated to post. It was a Texas newspaper so I did?

Phoenix Fire Department spokesperson Capt. Rob McDade said it was “just another reminder of just how unrelenting and unforgiving the elements of the Sonoran Desert can be.”

Foul play is not suspected at present, however, the victim’s friends say the circumstances of Tramonte’s death appear suspicious.

Camelback Mountain and nearby Piestewa Peak have been a sticking point in Phoenix for at least five years, with the Phoenix Fire Department and Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department promoting a hiking safety campaign in an attempt to reduce the number of rescue calls put through to the fire department.

The fire department sent nine rescuers home for health reasons in June after several back-to-back rescue operations. Two of the firefighters ended up in the hospital. As a result the Phoenix Firefighters Union asked the Parks and Recreation Board to shut down some parks during extreme heat.
Hiker found dead on Arizona mountain after her cop Instagram date 'abandoned' her
*kinda harsh: “Abandoned” … do they know something we don’t?
eta:

Last edited:
I find it interesting that in one of the above articles, the family doesn't think that the apartment she stayed at with him is actually where he lives. Property records are a matter of public record here. just saying... I do agree, there is more to this story most definitely. He does have a documented history of lying. Albeit back in 2009. But as we know, leopards don't usually change their spots. They typically just get better at their craft.

I'm also here in AZ and cannot fathom not having water when doing most anything outdoors during the summer. I mean, I will usually take a bottle of water with me when I run errands! The heat here is no joke! I don't care how in shape a person is. Shoot, I will go hiking when it's in the 80's and make sure I have water with me.

I do hope her family and friends are able to get the answers they need either way. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

As mentioned upthread, he's a first responder, he knew how important water is. It's been in the news, firefighters are struggling. I know they are reporting no foul play but we all know LE can say what they want to. If it was heat related, it's negligent at best. I really want to hear DD's response to "why didn't you guys take any water?"

As mentioned upthread, he's a first responder, he knew how important water is. It's been in the news, firefighters are struggling. I know they are reporting no foul play but we all know LE can say what they want to. If it was heat related, it's negligent at best. I really want to hear DD's response to "why didn't you guys take any water?"

Agree 100%... would like to hear his reasoning as well.

On Monday, ABC15 spoke to a man who was hiking with a group of friends on Camelback Friday morning.

He said they saw the pair together on the mountain and then saw Dizdar again later approaching people at the base asking if anyone had seen the woman.

The man provided photos of the hike as verification to ABC15 but asked not to be identified because of the growing publicity of this case.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-p...dead-on-camelback-was-hiking-with-phoenix-cop

I found Camelback somewhat difficult and way more difficult than I had anticipated. I was in extremely good shape at the time, the best shape of my life actually, very fit, well-conditioned, and it's not so much that it felt "hard" to me in terms of physical exertion, but in that it's way scary that you are RIGHT on edges of the mountain on pretty narrow trails without any guard rails or anything.

The friend I was with wasn't in the same shape as me. She was young and active, but just not into high intensity performance kind of fitness like I was at the time and definitely didn't have that same crazy drive to seek out and challenge physical and mental limits. That's not a knock, I was at the other extreme, especially back then.

And after the initial easy part of the climb, she literally started freaking the F out. Like actively shrieking and taking a step, then freaking out, and I couldn't quite tell if she was legitimately terrified or being very "extra" but at the time, I'll be honest, it kind of annoyed me. I was sooo ready to tackle this thing, it had never crossed my mind that I couldn't do it, and here she was making this big scene. But looking back, I think she truly was scared, even if she was acting very dramatic about it.

And then it started impacting my own mental toughness, I started focusing on high up we were, how narrow the trail was, how far down the ground was, the fear started creeping in and then that pissed me off too (internally) because I don't think it would have ever crossed my mind to think about stopping or that I wasn't capable of getting to the top. And now it was messing with my head too.

But alas, she had psyched herself out to the point that she wouldn't or couldn't go any further. And she was like, "you go, you keep going" but unlike this cop guy, there was NO WAY I was going to abandon my friend on this mountain. And I honestly did hide my disappointment and frustration and keep that to myself, because it just wasn't worth it to me nor did I want her to feel bad or that she was holding me back or ruining my trip. I had been looking forward to it, but quickly resigned to the fact it wasn't going to happen this time, and figured I could just go back some other trip with another friend more into that kind of thing. (It pissed me off again when she posted a somewhat strategic picture on social media implying that we had climbed to the top, but what are you going to do?)

(And that made me wonder, did he feel the need to climb it because he just HAD to get in his hike or physical challenge that day, with or without her? Which is pretty rude. Or did she really tell him to keep going so he could get pics so she could post them on her social media as if she did it too, which sounds like that's what he told LE why he kept going instead of accompanying her back down?)

My friend and I both had A LOT of water. And I would have NEVER left her to get back on her own. But I can't help but wonder if Angela got to that exact part of the trail and had that ohhh moment and realized this "hike" is no joke. Even for someone fit. It really wasn't the level of exertion needed that surprised me. It was the fear factor! It was significantly more dangerous and treacherous than I had ever expected the "easier" route to be.

But why oh why would he have let her go back down on her own?? Honestly getting down was just as hard as going up, if not harder. I would have never done that to my friend. Maybe it is stereotypical, but what kind of guy, let alone a first responder, doesn't help a girl or stay with her or make sure she is okay? Maybe he did nothing wrong, but that alone - ugh. I just feel so bad for this girl and her friends and family.

Last edited:

jmo

I learned to always bring water and glucose tabs with me when I was in search and rescue, even when I was just out for a walk. I might not need them but I occasionally came across people who did.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back