AZ - Brian Richard Bleyl, believed abducted and murdered, Phoenix, 1981 *Accused acquitted*

Sfsupersleuth

Reaction score
Brian Bleyl is a boy who went missing from Phoenix, Arizona in 1981. He was a paper boy whom police believe was abducted and murdered, but no body has been found. There was a man accused and subsequently acquitted of the abduction and murder of Brian. Someone knows something. If anyone has any information or theories to share, I would like to hear about it. Thank you.

Here is the Charley Project page for Brian.
Brian Richard Bleyl – The Charley Project

Thank you Laughing. I am looking for alternative leads in this case. Just a hunch here, but I am not convinced 100% that Stephen Wilson did it. I was one of the witnesses who testified for the prosecution in this case. Hopefully I can learn more here. There's got to be something they missed or purposely covered up.

Stephen Michael Wilson was arrested in 1989 and charged with Brian's abduction, molestation and murder. A photograph of Wilson is posted below this case summary. He allegedly confessed to three witnesses, one of them his doctor, about his role in Brian's case. Wilson, who was openly gay, reportedly became enraged and attacked Brian after the boy made homophobic remarks to him and threw rocks at his home.

Brian's bicycle was found a few yards from Wilson's apartment, and neighbors reported seeing the boy near the apartment around the time he vanished, but there were no bloodstains or any other physical evidence to indicate that a crime had been committed. A jury acquitted Wilson of all charges in 1990. He died of AIDS-related causes in 1994. He maintained his innocence in Brian's case until the end.

Brian Richard Bleyl – The Charley Project

And see: END OF AN ORDEAL

Gentleman acquitted; no deceased:

END OF AN ORDEAL

Doe Network:

68DMAZ - Brian R. Bleyl

Missing Persons FaceBook page (within TOS, AFAIK)

The Forgotten Cases

Alerting for state & city in title.

ETA: the correct link!
Steve’s brother Rick was a major with MCSO? At the time of the trial or did he become a major afterward? Hmm.

“Wilson's younger brother, Rick--a major with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office--recalled "Steve's generosity, his friendship. . . ."

Steve’s brother Rick was a major with MCSO? At the time of the trial or did he become a major afterward? Hmm.

“Wilson's younger brother, Rick--a major with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office--recalled "Steve's generosity, his friendship. . . ."

Wait, what? Didn't pick up on this while skimming the article.

Thank you Laughing. I am looking for alternative leads in this case. Just a hunch here, but I am not convinced 100% that Stephen Wilson did it. I was one of the witnesses who testified for the prosecution in this case. Hopefully I can learn more here. There's got to be something they missed or purposely covered up.
Welcome to Websleuths! Hopefully some fresh thoughts can help pinpoint your internal radar in the right direction.

When I read the brother was a major with MCSO, my eyes nearly bugged outta my head. My first thought was they found an easy victim to pin this crime on. Gay men were horribly ostracized in 1981. It would be interesting now if any DNA related to the crime could exonerate his name/reputation.

@Sfsupersleuth, consider becoming a Verified Insider for this case:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Blaming Mr. Wilson would be an easy path -- possibly even a witch hunt.

Where's Brian??

I am gathering some very interesting information about this case. Please contact me if you have any connections to witnesses or anyone who knows more about people related to the case of Brian R. Bleyl, from Phoenix, Arizona, missing since February 28th, 1981. His family deserves to know the truth. Someone knows something more.

Commenters here too from a 11/9/2010 Facebook post. This page is dedicated to finding another person but shared info about Brian.
Help Find Missing Charles Arlin Henderson

Brian Richard Bleyl

Missing Since: February 28, 1981 from Phoenix, Arizona
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: December 2, 1968
Height and Weight: 4'11, 100 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Blond/brown hair, brown eyes.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A blue gym shirt and dark blue gym pants.

Medical Conditions: Bleyl is diabetic and requires insulin to regulate his condition.

Bleyl disappeared while collecting money while working his Phoenix Gazette newspaper route in Phoenix, Arizona at approximately 3:00 p.m. on February 28, 1981. He was riding his bicycle and was last seen in the area of north 9th Avenue and west Myrtle Avenue. He has never been heard from again.

Stephen Michael Wilson was arrested in 1989 and charged with Bleyl's abduction, molestation and murder. He allegedly confessed to three witnesses about his role in Bleyl's case. Wilson, who was openly homosexual, reportedly became enraged and attacked Bleyl after the boy made homophobic remarks to him. Bleyl's bicycle was found a few yards from Wilson's apartment, and neighbors reported seeing the boy near the apartment around the time he vanished, but there were no bloodstains or any other physical evidence to indicate that a crime had been committed.

A jury acquitted Wilson of all charges in 1990. He died of AIDS-related causes in 1994. He maintained his innocence in Bleyl's case until the end. Bleyl has never been located and his disappearance remains unsolved. Foul play is suspected.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Phoenix Police Department 602-261-8042 (Daytime Number)
OR 602-261-6141 (Nighttime Number)

I have the impression that Stephen Wilson kidnapped him if his version is true that Brian annoyed him with the subject of his sexual orientation, he must not have had enough time in his basement or in another place not too far away, he must have brutally killed him... like an adult would let himself be carried away by the words of a little boy of 12 or 13 years... maybe if the police turn wilson's house or apartment upside down they could find some evidence... poor boy...
rest in peace brian

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k