AZ - Chaskah Davis Smith, 11, horrific abuse by grandmother, Scottsdale, 30 Jan 2022 *graphic*

margarita25

Reaction score
Police: Boy who died at Scottsdale hotel endured 'horrific' abuse by grandmother

“A Scottsdale grandmother and her husband are facing first-degree murder charges after her 11-year-old grandson, Chaskah Davis Smith, died at a Scottsdale hotel where they had been living for years. Police believe Stephanie Marie Davis, 51, had been abusing Chaskah and his 9-year-old half-brother for quite some time. She's had custody of them since 2015.”

*warning: graphic details at link :(

Police: Boy who died at Scottsdale hotel endured 'horrific' abuse by grandmother

“A Scottsdale grandmother and her husband are facing first-degree murder charges after her 11-year-old grandson, Chaskah Davis Smith, died at a Scottsdale hotel where they had been living for years. Police believe Stephanie Marie Davis, 51, had been abusing Chaskah and his 9-year-old half-brother for quite some time. She's had custody of them since 2015.”

*warning: graphic details at link :(
From your link:

"Those kids were always taken care of," Davis continued before the judge interrupted her and warned her that anything she said could be used against her. "Be careful of what you say," she cautioned.

One child is dead and the other clearly battered!

Davis then asked if she and her husband could be represented by the same attorney. She said the evidence against her was "literally just circumstantial."

The judge explained she would order court-appointed representation for Davis and her husband but it would be up to the trial court to decide if they could have the same lawyer.

Davis then asked to talk to her husband. "I spoke to him [before the proceeding] and he explained to me that he felt like he was being coerced ...," she said. "They were making him say things that he didn't want to. That's why I'm asking."

A sad lol from me.
He’s already implicated her, I think he may want his own lawyer.

This is another one of those cases where the school reported abuse (in 2017 so the child, now deceased, was 6 years old) and the abuser immediately took him out of school and “homeschooled”.

Some more details here, a shock collar was in the room but no pets.

Police documents detail death of child at Scottsdale extended-stay hotel

Davis had sole custody of the victim and his half-sibling. The victim’s mother is reportedly a suspect in a homicide involving Davis’s son, and the victim’s father is in an out-of-state prison for child molestation.

Police say that recently Davis had become more physically and verbally abusive toward both children. Desharnais told police he thinks Davis was retaliating against the children because their mother was “involved in the death of (her) son.”

I’m sure she really, really, wants to talk to her husband so she can try and get him to shut up. She thinks she’s slick getting the whole coerced nonsense out in front of a judge. Sounds like it didn’t take long for hubby to give her up.
Why, just why keep custody of the kids if you hate them enough to abuse them?
It has to be a money thing. Low life’s living in an extended stay hotel for years, pan handling.

Where does it say she's not biologically related?

Also... Chaskah's mother (allegedly) murdered Davis's son. So did the mom kill her own brother, or is Davis his paternal grandmother, and the man she killed was Chaskah's uncle? All very strange. This poor kid.

Also... Chaskah's mother (allegedly) murdered Davis's son. So did the mom kill her own brother, or is Davis his paternal grandmother, and the man she killed was Chaskah's uncle? All very strange. This poor kid.
I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like Davis’ son, who was murdered by Chaskah’s mother, was not Chaskah’s father—maybe his stepfather or just mother’s boyfriend? His father is in prison for child molestation. So his grandmother wasn’t his biological grandmother. I don’t know why she had custody either! Except that it sounds like these poor kids had no one else. They would have been better off in foster care. :(

This child was not biologically related to her- why did she have custody?

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like Davis’ son, who was murdered by Chaskah’s mother, was not Chaskah’s father—maybe his stepfather or just mother’s boyfriend? His father is in prison for child molestation. So his grandmother wasn’t his biological grandmother. I don’t know why she had custody either! Except that it sounds like these poor kids had no one else. They would have been better off in foster care. :(
I think her daughter allegedly killed her brother. But then she disappeared, no one knows where she is, allegedly. There’s been no trial or charges, so it’s all heresay. Maybe she’s dead too.
It’s very confusing but according to the DFS preliminary report she is both children’s maternal grandmother. Chaskah‘s father is unknown, the other child’s father is in prison for “child molestation”.
DocumentCloud

In this link they interview the accused grandmother’s brother and another anonymous sibling which explains a bit more of the family dynamics
Grandmother, Hubby Turn on Each Other After Boy’s Horrific Motel Death

So many reasons DFS should have intervened before a child was dead, starting with giving her custody in 2015 even though she had lost custody of her own four children, and followed by multiple calls over the years including calls by motel staff before Chaskah was killed.
I hope the surviving child lands in a loving foster home.

Last edited:
This article is really long but here are the bits from family members.

Davis, who also goes by the name Stephanie Fasthorse, was granted custody of Chaskah and his 9-year-old half-brother in 2015, the filing states. This came as a surprise to Davis’ relatives, who said Davis’ biological kids had already been taken away from her long ago.

“She lost her own four children when she was in her 20s, they went into the custody of our father,” Davis’ brother Terry told The Daily Beast on Wednesday from his home in Minnesota. “She got married for a while, and her husband died on her. Then she met this younger gentleman who worked with our brother, and that’s her husband now,” he said, referring to Desharnais. “We tried to tell him that she’s not very stable, you’ve got to be very mindful, very careful, around her.”

Davis’ family didn’t think the two boys were still under her care “until this happened,” Terry Davis, a 49-year-old county employee, continued, explaining that he and his siblings “kind of distanced ourselves” from their sister after she disappeared and later resurfaced in Arizona. “It didn't make any sense why the county gave her custody of these kids.”

“She’s a very chaotic mess,” he said, claiming that Davis, whom he described as having endured frequent bouts of homelessness, once moved into a family friend’s vacation cabin and refused to leave until the homeowner went to court. “She has a long history of chronic lying, she makes it look like she’s done nothing wrong... She’s done that her entire life.”

Another close relative, who did not want to be identified publicly, told The Daily Beast that the alleged “abuse from Stephanie to her own children...had a negative impact on all of their lives.”

Years after the four kids were taken away from her, Davis tried to reconnect with them, “each time ending in a disaster,” the relative said.

The relative, who now lives abroad, said the family is “devastated at the loss of Chaskah,” and is now working closely with detectives and state officials to ensure Chaskah’s half-brother’s safety.

“I have been waiting for years to see my nephews,” said the relative. “I hope soon we can reunite with Chaskah’s brother now that Stephanie is out of the picture for good... This time is so difficult for us. I haven’t heard a word about those boys for years, then [was] just shocked [learning of Chaskah’s] death... I am losing sleep thinking what could have been done differently to save those boys.”

“It’s terrible that it had to come to this,” Terry Davis told The Daily Beast. “Look at what she's done her entire life, all the chaos she's caused, all the mayhem, all the damage she’s done. Finally, this could be the time for her to pay for her crimes.”

This is terrible.... It sounds like Chaskah never had a chance from the beginning. I'm shocked he and his brother were sent to live with the grandmother instead of an unrelated foster family. Davis seems to be Native American, and at least in my state Native American kids are kept within members of their tribe if at all possible, so maybe that's why- Couldn't find a suitable foster family within the tribe?

I really hope Chaskah's brother is able to heal and be placed with a loving family. I'm glad the sibling living abroad is working with authorities. It sounds like Davis's siblings didn't even know she had custody of the kids...

Some more details here, a shock collar was in the room but no pets.

Police documents detail death of child at Scottsdale extended-stay hotel

Davis had sole custody of the victim and his half-sibling. The victim’s mother is reportedly a suspect in a homicide involving Davis’s son, and the victim’s father is in an out-of-state prison for child molestation.

Police say that recently Davis had become more physically and verbally abusive toward both children. Desharnais told police he thinks Davis was retaliating against the children because their mother was “involved in the death of (her) son.”
ive found the bio mom on social media, please look because idk where the info that she was a homicide suspect came from and i suspect it came from the gma.

This article is really long but here are the bits from family members.

Davis, who also goes by the name Stephanie Fasthorse, was granted custody of Chaskah and his 9-year-old half-brother in 2015, the filing states. This came as a surprise to Davis’ relatives, who said Davis’ biological kids had already been taken away from her long ago.

“She lost her own four children when she was in her 20s, they went into the custody of our father,” Davis’ brother Terry told The Daily Beast on Wednesday from his home in Minnesota. “She got married for a while, and her husband died on her. Then she met this younger gentleman who worked with our brother, and that’s her husband now,” he said, referring to Desharnais. “We tried to tell him that she’s not very stable, you’ve got to be very mindful, very careful, around her.”

Davis’ family didn’t think the two boys were still under her care “until this happened,” Terry Davis, a 49-year-old county employee, continued, explaining that he and his siblings “kind of distanced ourselves” from their sister after she disappeared and later resurfaced in Arizona. “It didn't make any sense why the county gave her custody of these kids.”

“She’s a very chaotic mess,” he said, claiming that Davis, whom he described as having endured frequent bouts of homelessness, once moved into a family friend’s vacation cabin and refused to leave until the homeowner went to court. “She has a long history of chronic lying, she makes it look like she’s done nothing wrong... She’s done that her entire life.”

Another close relative, who did not want to be identified publicly, told The Daily Beast that the alleged “abuse from Stephanie to her own children...had a negative impact on all of their lives.”

Years after the four kids were taken away from her, Davis tried to reconnect with them, “each time ending in a disaster,” the relative said.

The relative, who now lives abroad, said the family is “devastated at the loss of Chaskah,” and is now working closely with detectives and state officials to ensure Chaskah’s half-brother’s safety.

“I have been waiting for years to see my nephews,” said the relative. “I hope soon we can reunite with Chaskah’s brother now that Stephanie is out of the picture for good... This time is so difficult for us. I haven’t heard a word about those boys for years, then [was] just shocked [learning of Chaskah’s] death... I am losing sleep thinking what could have been done differently to save those boys.”

“It’s terrible that it had to come to this,” Terry Davis told The Daily Beast. “Look at what she's done her entire life, all the chaos she's caused, all the mayhem, all the damage she’s done. Finally, this could be the time for her to pay for her crimes.”
oh my heart is broken, those boys must have been terrified, no wonder they wet the bed!!!!! im in tears, wtf is wrong w ppl?????

“Emergency personnel on scene noted a contusion injury to the left side of [Chaskah’s] forehead and a laceration injury to his penis,” it says, noting that Chaskah’s 9-year-old half-brother had also been living in the hotel room with them and had facial injuries that included bruising around his eyes.

[snip]
Davis tried to explain her grandson’s condition by saying he had “struck himself in the forehead with a ‘wrench’ and that he had also ‘cut himself’ at his penis with a ‘paring knife,’” while the family was watching TV earlier that day, the probable cause statement says. She told police that she then “hid the wrench so that the child could not get it once again,” after which she “heard exclamations of, ‘ow, ow, ow’ coming from the bathroom.” Davis said she discovered the paring knife in a wastebasket, so she washed it off in the sink. Neither Davis nor Desharnais “sought any manner of medical attention” for Chaskah, according to the filing.

[snip]
Desharnais told cops he had been in and out all day running errands to a nearby Walgreens, but was “present in hotel room #130” during the incident, according to the report.

However, he told investigators a far different version of events than Davis.

Over the past few months, Davis had become “more physically and verbally abusive” toward the boys, according to Desharnais.

“Stephanie had called both the children numerous cruel and hurtful statements like, ‘worthless piece of crap, lower than a piece of dirt. You're a dog,’” the report explains. Davis also “began physically assaulting the children,” said Desharnais, who told investigators he thought Davis was behaving this way in order to “retaliate against the children’s mother who was part of her son’s death.” She also starved Chaskah for days on end, according to Desharnais, who claimed he would occasionally sneak the child food.

ive found the bio mom on social media, please look because idk where the info that she was a homicide suspect came from and i suspect it came from the gma.
It came from Desharniais who probably jmo got it from Davis. There are no charges as far as I know.
Maybe it was an overdose? Maybe that’s why biomom lost custody? Just speculating.
Glad to hear bio mom is still alive, if Davis would (allegedly) retaliate against her grandchild because her daughter (allegedly) had something to do with someone’s death, I wouldn’t have been surprised if there had been more direct retaliation too.

Desharnais, who told investigators he thought Davis was behaving this way in order to “retaliate against the children’s mother who was part of her son’s death.”

Last edited:

That poor poor child , I hope this women gets maximum punishment.
But a substantiated case was not fully investigated because the family moved out of state? this keeps happening, how can it be changed that a case is followed or transferred when a family moves?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back