GUILTY AZ - Colin Brough, 20, killed, 3 injured in NAU shooting, Flagstaff, 9 Oct 2015

Was it a student that shot his friends?

One student died and three others were wounded in the shooting, the school tweeted.

Details confirmed 4 victims, 1 fatality, 3 wounded. Shooter is in custody. Situation is stabilized. Campus not on lockdown.

OH MY! My best friend's daughter goes to NAU!

Statement:

http://news.nau.edu/statement-from-...ty-regarding-shooting-on-campus/#.Vhej5uxVhBc

Also, there will be a press conference at 6:00am local time (9am Eastern).

The shooting occurred in a parking lot outside Mountainview Hall dormitory, a dormitory that houses most of the campus' students involved in Greek organizations.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/deadly-sho...niversitys-flagstaff-campus/story?id=34363113

http://www.kpho.com/story/30223758/officials-1-dead-3-wounded-in-shooting-at-nau-in-flagstaff

So no name no information at all again on this shooter?

This is crazy, what is going on?
Young people should be excited, perhaps nervous but proud, to attend university, but now, it seems students need bullet-proof vests and pepper spray, instead of new shoes to start school ! imo.

According to police, two student groups got into a fight in a parking lot near a dormitory, which escalated.

Steven Jones, 18, shot four students, according to police. The police chief says the victims were shot multiple times. One person was killed, three others are being treated at Flagstaff Medical Center.

Jones was taken into custody without incident. Police say he is being cooperative. The crime scene is still being processed at this time.

Information about the victims identities and conditions is not being released at this time.

http://www.waaytv.com/appnews/watch...cle_c00aba2a-6e6e-11e5-8116-47500117d0f8.html

Sorry to learn about this overnight campus shooting :(

I had CNN on while awaiting the presser. Did anyone else hear the phone interview with the female student who told reporter about text message re: the shooting? DH and I remarked about how matter-of-factly she talked about the incident. Seems this type of violence doesn't shock folks. :rolleyes:

What I am hearing locally is that there may have been a knife involved. I have nothing official to back it up.
It could be a situation of self defense, that being said, comparing it in any way to the Oregon shooting is pretty reckless until all the facts are in.
Arizona has one of the most lenient guns laws in the Nation, similar to Virginia and Alaska. Everyone locally (Phoenix/Prescott) I have talked to is kind of angry that MSM is putting it out there w/o all the facts.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-no...ews-reported-shooting-at-nau-flagstaff-campus

[h=1]Northern Arizona University shooting: 1 dead, 3 wounded in shooting at NAU[/h]
NAU officials have identified the student killed as freshman Colin Brough. Nicholas Prato, Kyle Zientek and Nicholas Piring are currently being treated at Flagstaff Medical Center. Their current conditions are unclear.NAU tweeted out just before 3 a.m. that the suspect, 18-year-old Steven Jones, is in custody.
Flagstaff Police Chief Greg Fowler said Jones opened fire during a fight between two student groups.

Includes large, clear video of LE statement.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/deadly-sho...niversitys-flagstaff-campus/story?id=34363113

" Fowler said that the school's alert messaging was sent out "rather quickly," but a student who was in the audience at the new conference this morning told Fowler that he received the text alert at 2:52 a.m., more than an hour and a half after the shooting. Fowler said that "sometimes it takes us a little bit of time to stabilize the information" but added that the text was "a precautionary measure" as opposed to one telling students to actively take cover.

Fowler noted that the Arizona Board of Regents prohibits students form carrying guns around campus but students are allowed to store them in their car."

This sounds personal and spur of the moment.

Much different than a mass murderer that targets a school.

Two "groups" of students got into a confrontation at 1 am and one guy started shooting? Guessing this time the gun wasn't legal.

I want to see photos of the shooter!

The student is 18 years old. No way was that handgun legal!

This sounds like the work of a ****/criminal proving his was a tough guy by carrying an illegal gun around. I have a feeling we may not learn much about the shooter but they should at least show pics of all the parties involved, I do believe that will cause speculation.

Arizona will not allow anyone under the age of 21 to carry a concealed handgun. You must be 21 years old before Arizona will issue you a concealed weapons permit.

Federal law also requires that you be 21 years old to purchase a handgun from a Federally licensed gun dealer.

http://azccwpermit.com/?p=73

This sounds personal and spur of the moment.

Much different than a mass murderer that targets a school.

Totally agree. The shooter stayed at the site until LE got there and was taken into custody.

MSM is just running with it with the investigation still ongoing and inciting people.

It's NOT like the Oregon shootings, Colorado, or Sandy Hook, which I'm seeing all over the comments to news articles. If it hadn't happened on the campus, it wouldn't even be newsworthy to anyone beyond Flag.

It won't change the gun laws here in Arizona, but I'm sure anti gun groups will use it as another "school shooting". People forget that it was a sheriff from Arizona that took the Brady Bill to task many years ago. If the anti gun lobbies were accurate, Arizona would have thousands of gun deaths per day with the amount of weapons that are privately owned in this State. There isn't even an accurate number of how many firearms are in this state because we don't have to register them. Just in my rural "neighborhood" of 17 households, I know that everyone of them have at least 5 firearms in each one. How can anti gun lobbies apply their statistics to Arizona when you'd be hard pressed to have anyone tell you how many unregistered weapons they own?

Tragic for the families of the victims, but I'm going to wait to see what the investigation reveals. If the Steve Jones involved is the same one I found on FB, he looks to be a pretty normal 18 year old. 291 friends. Not the page of a social misfit, mentally ill, or angry 18 year old.

It's NOT like the Oregon shootings, Colorado, or Sandy Hook, which I'm seeing all over the comments to news articles. If it hadn't happened on the campus, it wouldn't even be newsworthy to anyone beyond Flag.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling the media may not want to "go after" this shooter when all of the data comes out and it doesn't fit their agenda.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back