AZ AZ - Drake Kramer, 21, Grand Canyon National Park, 2 Feb 2015

Surprised that tracking dogs didn't pick up his scent.

really thought they would have found him based on the fact he is on foot ..I don't understand why tracking dogs either have not been used or if they did why no results. The weather conditions get pretty cold at night there (low 30's) so I wonder if he was prepared for it. Do we know if he was alone at the hotel or conversed with anyone? Did they put up posters by the park exits in case he hitched a ride out of there?

There are many many places at the Grand Canyon where you could step off of a ledge and fall a thousand feet straight down to the rocks below. There are crevices, cracks, caves, and gorges everywhere that could conceal a person, many of them running hundreds of feet deep.

A scent tracking dog may follow his scent right up to the edge of a cliff, but it sure isn't going to try and follow beyond that (unless the dog is suicidal too). The same applies at the floor of the canyon and along stream banks. Hundreds and hundreds, probably thousands, of places that a human body could be hidden from view, especially if it fell from above.

If and when he is found, it will most likely be by people that are out on a camping or hiking trip and just happen to stumble across him by accident.

Many people have disappeared there and never been found. In my view, it's probably some of the most inhospitable land known to man.

Attachments

• GrandCanyon4.jpg
    GrandCanyon4.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 41
  • GrandCanyon3.jpg
    GrandCanyon3.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 41
  • GrandCanyon5.jpg
    GrandCanyon5.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 41
  • GandCanyon3.jpg
    GandCanyon3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Grand-Canyon_Arizona.jpg
    Grand-Canyon_Arizona.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 42
Have they released specific details on where the foot searches have been conducted? The Bright Angel trailhead is right by his hotel and would be a logical place to start.

He also could have hopped on a free shuttle bus. There are two routes in operation over the winter. The Bright Angel Lodge is on the blue line, and he could have transferred to the orange line at the visitor center.

The orange line goes down a road that isn't open to cars so it's probably less crowded (especially in February). There is a trailhead there (South Kaibab), and the end of the line is Yaki Point. Yaki is supposed to have incredible sunrises; I wonder what time Drake checked out of the inn. Sadly, I've read about some deaths at Yaki (both accidental and intentional).

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/upload/2014SRwinter_guidemap.pdf

New articles:
http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/f...missing-grand-canyon-10483.shtml#.VOK5e_nF9QQ
http://www.kens5.com/story/news/loc...gather-in-honor-of-missing-sa-hiker/23496807/

His father says he texted him saying he needed to be closer to nature and that was last he'd heard of him...until investigators uncovered a pair of good deeds he performed on his way west by tapping his phone records.

"He stopped two teenagers on the road, he picked them up, let them use his phone to call their loved ones."

I must have missed this part -- Drake drove to California first, then to the Grand Canyon. I wonder who or what is in CA.

"His father said family members were surprised to learn that Kramer, who was enrolled to study geology at the University of Texas-San Antonio, had driven to California and then on to the canyon. The father last saw his son on Jan. 29, when they went to see the film American Sniper. "
http://www.people.com/article/texas-man-missing-grand-canyon-give-body-mother-earth

That timeline is pretty tight. Assuming he went to the movie in the evening, he probably wouldn't have set out for a long drive until the morning. Not knowing where exactly in CA he went, but assuming SoCal, it was probably a 17-19 hour drive. If he drove straight he'd have arrived late on Jan. 30th. To the Bright Angel Lodge might have taken another 6-8 hours. He checked in there on Jan. 31st, and checked out the next day. That is a pretty exhausting trip, particularly if he was driving alone.

I wonder if his credit card had been use..I'm sure it's been checked already but how much cash would he have? How was his room paid,cash? I'm sure he would have had to gas up as he had a long drive into the park then out of it or at least deep enough in it that it hadn't recovered.

Where are you Drake? I really hope they find this guy.

Where is Drakes car at? Is it at the hotel or is it missing?

Where is Drakes car at? Is it at the hotel or is it missing?

It was left at the hotel, so I think he must have walked somewhere near the lodge or hopped on the free shuttle bus (see post #26).

The missing persons report sparked a hasty search in the park's heavily traveled South Rim tourist area, where authorities found Kramer's car at the lodge where he'd stayed.
http://www.people.com/article/texas-man-missing-grand-canyon-give-body-mother-earth

Just got finished reading the thread and media articles. Has there been any more news? I so hope that he is found safe and well soon.
I have a few questions though.... Where are his personal belongings? In the car? Cell phone, was it found? Is it turned off ? Battery dead?
It really worries me about him picking up hitch hikers on his trip.... Can family and friends be sure he was the one who actually sent the troubling text messages? It would not be the first time a perp has used a text message to throw investigators off. Just sayin'
Hope and love to his family.

Good questions TupeloMz.

Unfortunately there hasn't been much information released in this case (and no recent updates). I don't think they've said what was found in the car. I haven't heard anything about the phone, though I expect they checked the pings.

I just realized he checked out of the lodge on Sunday morning, but the text message wasn't sent to his parents until Monday. Assuming he did send it, I wonder where he spent Sunday and Sunday night.

Interesting...according to the National Park Service website, it is "nearly impossible to get and keep a signal at Grand Canyon".

I guess it's been verified that it was actually Drake who checked in and out of the lodge. Re reading a newsclip I see besides the 2 hitchhikers, he also picked up a 3rd person afterwards.

as summer starts to heat up and more people visit the park maybe if he is there someone will find his body.... of course there is no proof that he is still in the park....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back