AZ AZ - Elizabeth Breck, 46, Tucson, Pinal County, 13 Jan 2019

With due respect, it said at PREVIOUS places she was at she could sign herself out. The article doesn't clarify if that was that case at this particular facility - it sounds to me like she was still in an evaluation phase when she went missing.

Thank you for this great point, GraceG.

Since she checked herself in voluntarily, does anyone know if could she check herself out during the 3 day period? Or does this policy vary per facility?

Search continues for missing teacher

[...]

Patriot Shield Investigations is a private company. The family hired them to help locate Breck.

Most of the investigators are retired law enforcement.

George Economidis is retired from the Pima County sheriff’s department. He’s had years of experience working search and rescue. He said with the help of the Go Fund Me account they hope to expand the search area to include Romero pools in Catalina State Park. Friends and family said Breck was an avid hiker and that was her favorite spot.

Economidis said he wants to bring search dogs, horses, and the Southern Arizona Rescue Association.

[...]

I wonder if LE has interviewed anyone from Sierra Tucson? Between the history of that place and there being no video cameras at exits and entrances, I’m wondering if she ever walked out on her own. MOO
The investigator in the video said neither the facility nor the construction company working on the property are being cooperative. Do they need to answer questions to LE, or can the refuse because of HIPAA?

The investigator in the video said neither the facility nor the construction company working on the property are being cooperative. Do they need to answer questions to LE, or can the refuse because of HIPAA?
Looking at their website, it does appear that Sierra Tucson is a HIPAA-covered entity, but otherwise, I haven’t seen anything that independently confirms that it is:
Privacy Policy | Sierra Tucson
Are You a Covered Entity? - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule

As to the construction company, one of the factors seems to be whether or not they entered into what is called a business associate agreement with Sierra Tucson. I highly doubt that they did because:
“A business associate contract is not required with persons or organizations whose functions, activities, or services do not involve the use or disclosure of protected health information, and where any access to protected health information by such persons would be incidental, if at all.

[they use janitorial services as an example]

Generally, janitorial services that clean the offices or facilities of a covered entity are not business associates because the work they perform for covered entities does not involve the use or disclosure of protected health information, and any disclosure of protected health information to janitorial personnel that occurs in the performance of their duties (such as may occur while emptying trash cans) is limited in nature, occurs as a by-product of their janitorial duties, and could not be reasonably prevented. Such disclosures are incidental and permitted by the HIPAA Privacy Rule. See 45 CFR 164.502(a)(1).“ (BBM)
243-Is a business associate contract required for inadvertent contact with protected health information

But even if there is no business associate contract, there is probably a confidential agrement in place, IMO.

For example, I found a “Contractor Safety Manual,” prepared specifically “for Construction Workers performing work at” a healthcare facility. It includes a “Confidentiality and Data Security Agreement” that each worker is asked to read and sign.

CC2ABB81-D304-45F7-BA80-AECB619315FD.jpeg 061200CF-DD85-49B2-9EFD-7D47B549162D.jpeg 7296060D-4214-4D13-8EB1-F19C0ED71021.jpeg 461F1707-5903-4851-9183-39AAA9B24A77.jpeg 3C5EFDA6-FF4F-4CF1-813A-700C72F0062D.jpeg
https://www.thechristhospital.com/Documents/About the Network/Supply Chain and Contractors/manual 7 2016 within facilities.pdf

Extremely frustrating situation, IMO.

Why wouldn't the facility want to be cooperative with the investigation into her disappearance? That is not a great endorsement for them.

In my opinion only, it’s because they’re hiding something. Their track record speaks for itself. I’ve had a bad feeling about them when I read that in the past, a patient (retired MD) was missing then his body was found 2 weeks later in some bushes on the property, too decomposed to determine cause of death. The “not recommended” reviews on Yelp about them are alarming. Again, MOO

In my opinion only, it’s because they’re hiding something. Their track record speaks for itself. I’ve had a bad feeling about them when I read that in the past, a patient (retired MD) was missing then his body was found 2 weeks later in some bushes on the property, too decomposed to determine cause of death. The “not recommended” reviews on Yelp about them are alarming. Again, MOO
I think we are on the same track... IMO

http://ktar.com/story/2516006/body-found-at-northern-arizona-reservoir-homicide-suspected/

Female
Body found at northern Arizona reservoir; homicide suspected

PHOENIX — Authorities are investigating a homicide after the body of a woman was found at a popular reservoir in northern Arizona over the weekend.

The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said the woman’s body was found around 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Bly Pit near the Blue Ridge Reservoir.

The body had undergone some decomposition by the time authorities located it.

There was no identification on the body.

http://ktar.com/story/2516006/body-found-at-northern-arizona-reservoir-homicide-suspected/

Female

PHOENIX — Authorities are investigating a homicide after the body of a woman was found at a popular reservoir in northern Arizona over the weekend.

The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said the woman’s body was found around 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Bly Pit near the Blue Ridge Reservoir.

upload_2019-4-2_22-30-4.png

Google Maps

Female

Not her...

The body of a woman, preliminarily identified as 37-year-old Tika Young of Happy Jack, was found around 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Bly Pit near the Blue Ridge Reservoir.
http://ktar.com/story/2518870/man-arrested-after-body-found-at-northern-arizona-reservoir/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back