AZ AZ - Elizabeth Breck, 46, Tucson, Pinal County, 13 Jan 2019

It has reappeared for me. I don't know what happened last night. I reloaded the page several times, but at least it is there now. I just watched it. I hope her family is able to find her. Thanks for posting the link, @doodles1211 !
I have had issues before, also. Seems like mine end up "user error"! So, who knows, maybe I messed up something when I posted it to begin with! :Do_O

I think this is from Feb 2019

"The complaint also states the lack of video surveillance at Sierra Tucson is detrimental to the missing person's case. Christopher said Elizabeth, along with other patients, wore a bluetooth-style tracking bracelet at the facility. According to the complaint, the bracelet was removed and destroyed."

Family of missing Tucson High teacher files complaint against treatment center

Seems a bit curious the bracelet was removed and destroyed. I suppose she could have done that but it seems she could have simply checked herself out, right? So why destroy the bracelet? Hmmmm...

What happened to this woman??

Any more recent news on the case??

Hate to bump an old thread, but I was just thinking about this case yesterday and wanted to see if there was a thread here. I've been a patient at Sierra Tucson and another treatment center relatively close by. Just wanted to provide some info--

It's not a locked down facility. Every patient there is there of their own volition (as opposed to being in the psych ward of a hospital, etc.) so they cannot force you to stay. The ability to sign yourself out isn't uncommon among residential treatment centers-- it's not an intake facility for Baker Acted patients, for example. There are cameras in the common areas. It's been 4-5 years since I was there and can't recall if there's a camera by the main door or any other ways to exit, but there is 24 hr staff, behavioral techs required to check on patients every X amount of time, etc. The standard stuff.

I didn't have a bad experience, but ST has been in desperate need of new management. The deaths and other unfortunate instances over the years more than prove that. There was a case where a 70+ y/o man left and was found dead in the desert some weeks later. This is what I think happened to Elizabeth. At both treatment centers (the other one is similar and has also had some issues, but not the extent ST has), you have to realize that they are surrounded by desert. I remember one time at the other facility, a girl tried to 'run' on two occasions. The first time she went through the back (so basically hopped the small fence if there was one and proceeded into the desert in the mountains) and the people that live in the stand-alone house nearby called the facility because they were used to that sort of thing. It wasn't a path you walk on. You're literally walking through brush, there are all the obvious bugs (I was bit by a huge centipede in my room at ST... what a nightmare, but not their fault), I've even seen a bull. At nighttime, there are bats, tarantulas, etc. I'm not from AZ but I imagine those who are already know this. I've also seen people try to leave through the main entryway and it's a LONG walk before you get to the road and even then, it's not like you're surrounded by shops and all that.

Her psychological state was necessarily not good because you don't check into a treatment center that doesn't accept insurance and is known for being super expensive. No one goes because they're feeling great. Plus, the first few days at any place are the hardest no matter how 'luxe' because you have to acclimate to a new environment, new people, a new schedule.

My guess is that for reasons none of us will ever be able to comprehend (because no one can ever go back in time and get into her head), she walked out in some kind of passive suicide attempt whether she realized it or not. I cannot stress enough that due to the environment, these aren't places that you can physically walk out of and be okay for long periods of time, compared to say, a similar residential facility I was at in CA where if I walked out the front door and no one caught me or called the cops, I'm surrounded by nice houses, I can get to a gas station or grocery store, etc. The fact that she brought nothing with her makes my theory all the more likely. You get access to your phone at designated times. You can keep money on you but they suggest keeping a minimal amount (the rest going into a safe) in case someone steals it. I'd look at this case differently if she chose to bring her water mug and whatever else with her, but I can't fathom just leaving with merely the clothes on your back into the wilderness because you don't like it there when you can sign yourself out and make arrangements to uber to the airport if you're from out of town or have someone pick you up.

Also-- I hope my post doesn't dissuade anyone from getting help. ST isn't inherently bad, but there are better places just as nice. A patient hellbent on trying to hurt themselves or go AWOL can happen at ANY place. The difference is, ST's staff isn't doing their job. Patients who recently arrived are checked on by techs (and this is documented) every 15 or 30 min depending on their mental/physical state until it's gets to the point where techs go around and locate everyone every 30-60 minutes. This is standard protocol at most places, so if someone does in fact up and leave, it should be noticed relatively quickly.

Unsolved: Tucson woman still missing two years later
1/14/2021
TUCSON (KVOA) - Wednesday was the two-year anniversary of Elizabeth Breck going missing. She was last seen at Sierra Tucson, a residential treatment center offering rehab programs.

Breck was a teacher at Tucson High School and while the family would love to see her again, they realize that two years after her disappearance that's no longer likely. Now, they continue to honor the memory of who she was.

"You don't move on but you do move forward and I think that's really a good phrase to use," said Chris Breck, Elizabeth's brother.

As the two-year anniversary approached, he admitted that questions of what if inevitably come to mind.

"The thoughts flood in of what haven't we done and what can we still do, did we do everything?" Breck said. "Where should we go from here?"

After reaching out to the Pinal County Sheriff's Department, where Elizabeth went missing, they said there are no significant updates at this time but the case remains active.

The family also hired a private investigators firm. Unfortunately, they have currently exhausted any leads they had.

Chris says that every now and then friends, family, and even former students will still reach out to the family.

"Just thinking about your sister. Just wanted to say we still miss her every day," Breck said. "(They say) those kind of things and that's what I want to remember."

Now, instead of wondering why this happened, the family spends their time focusing on the happy memories they made.

If you have any information regarding Elizabeth Breck's disappearance, you are asked to call the Pinal County Sheriff's office at 520-866-5111.

"You don't move on but you do move forward and I think that's really a good phrase to use," said Chris Breck, Elizabeth's brother.

So poignant and my heart hurts, but the case is still sad nonetheless. I agree with her brother in terms of the likelihood of Elizabeth showing up alive, but a strong part of me believes her remains will one day be found. I can't imagine what her family, colleagues, and students have been going through... just as I can't imagine what was going through Elizabeth's head that fateful day. It's disgusting that for a treatment center that has had many celebrities or otherwise notable people as clients, they can't get their act together. I'm talking relatively small changes that can have a huge impact on patient safety. There is no excuse.

Bumping**
Elizabeth Emma Breck – The Charley Project
breck_elizabeth8.jpg

breck_elizabeth3.jpg

was going through the previous comments and it seems like this description states the reason why she was last seen so far away from her address is because she went missing after she was evaluated to stay at a 30 day program for PTSD. The medical professionals stated she did not seem to want to harm herself or others and was placed in a living facility where they had more freedoms. I find it to be very odd she just left, she left her car there and everything. could possibly a staff member know more about what happened and they are covering it up?

I believe there is someone from that facility who knows something more that is not saying anything. What about surveillance footage? I don't know it all seems so odd that there is still no answers.

Details of Disappearance
On the advice of her psychiatrist, Breck checked herself into the Sierra Tucson behavioral health center in Saddlebrooke, Arizona on January 10, 2019. She planned to complete a thirty-day program for treatment of trauma; she had developed post-traumatic stress disorder after being sexually assaulted.

On January 13, after she was evaluated, the staff determined she was not a threat to herself or others and admitted her to the general living quarters, which aren't locked down. She was last seen at 3:00 p.m. During the late afternoon hours, Breck was discovered missing.

Her medical bracelet and other belongings were found in her assigned room, but there was no indication of her whereabouts. She left her car at the hospital and is believed to have taken only her driver's license and some cash with her when she disappeared.

In February, Breck's brother filed complaints against Sierra Tucson with the Arizona Department of Health Services and The Joint Commission, a national not-for-profit accreditation agency. Her family alleges the facility didn't share information with them and the private investigator they hired to find Breck, there was no electronic surveillance to ensure patient safety, and Breck wasn't provided with a phone to call her parents, who live outside the U.S.

It's extremely uncharacteristic of Breck to be out of touch with her friends and family, whom she was close to. She was interested in dancing and involved in a number of dance groups, and was also involved with spirituality, particularly Buddhism. She was a teacher at the Tucson Magnet School at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back