AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 - # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
8:00 am Press conference
(sorry it's out of order)
Good morning. I'm Sgt Bargoa. I'll give you an 8:00 update here. As many of you have seen,
we are conducting the investigative briefing at this point. Present at that briefing are the assistant chief in charge of the investigation as well as the supervisors and commanders in charge of the investigation. They are meeting with all the detectives present as well as the detectives that were on their shift throughout the night. That information...at this point as well as collective information throughout the investigation will be shared. We expect that to be done, probably within the hour, and then the detectives will continue to follow up on the leads. We had a few leads that we wanted to follow up in the daytime hours, follow up on those leads, as well as any other leads that came up through 88-CRIME or 911 this morning.
To recap what occurred last night is the search warrant of the home was completed approximately 1:30.
That information from the search warrant is being shared with the investigators that are coming on duty right now. We will be in contact, if we haven't been already, with the family to allow them to come back to the home and help them do that. The incident commander in charge of the investigation is considering as to whether or not they are going to open up the street to the house right now and evaluating that, there should be some answer on that today at a later time here. A big part of the day here is this briefing that's occurring. This is going to decide if any other search is to continue as well as the course of our investigation here and what resources we're going to call in. Those resources being the other agencies to work with today. I'm open for any questions you may have. I know it's pretty much the same summary but I'll take some questions.
Q: Just talk about the timing...more and more time goes by and...
A: We're aware of the timing that occurs, but that's even more important now to proceed cautiously to be aware and share our communications with our investigators to be thorough. That's a big part of this briefing this morning is to pass that on. Throughout this whole investigation we're following a system, and instant command system and that's done on major incidents, and what that requires is that everyone gets briefed in a systematic way on and off duty here. And it's for that very reason you asked about. It's vital that everyone has the communication, lines of communication and the information passed on. These investigators that are coming in this morning they need to know all the information so they follow up on those leads and get the most out of those leads, the most potential amount of information out of those leads.
Q: What are the chances to find her 4 days after she's gone missing
A: Well that's our goal, it remains the same, so we are focused and the best chance is to continue on and keep marching on the way we are.
Q: We haven't heard any mention about ...are they still around or
A: They're available to us, we aren't currently using them right now, but they are a resource that's available.
Q: Are they being used in the search?
A: No that's personnel, hands-on personnel are conducting that search.
Q: Who, besides the family, is the last person to see Isabel and when was that?
A: That's certainly something we wouldn't give up there. We know that we gave up the information prior to that she was with the family at the point that she was put to bed there and with the family member when she was discovered (missing) and went out and reported at that time.
Q: Was she in school on Friday?
A: I don't know, we can find out and let you know.
Q: I have a question about the dogs. Why was the SAR dog brought into the house because if she lived there wouldn't there be hits all over the place?
A: The FBI provided us with those dogs and they have specialties. There's a protocol going into that. That's an investigative decision we have. It was a systematic decision at that time. I wish I could tell you why but for the same reason that other information can't be released, we need to not release that at this time.
Q: What are those specialties?
A: I'm not the one that's available to answer that questions. We'll look into whether or not we can get a representative that's more knowledgeable to give you those answers.
Q: on Friday night, Saturday morning where were the dogs inside, outside?
A: Um, the family situation there when they went to bed, the dogs were there and it was like any other night for that family.
Q: Do the dogs go into the house, talking about different dogs.
A: We utilized both of those dogs
Q: How many dogs does the family have?
A: I know they have several, as to the number, I don't know the number, but there were more than one dog there.
Q: Did the family report hearing the dogs barking through the night
A: That information would be subject to the same type of information that we are going to withhold at this time.
Q: do you expect the landfill search to end today?
A: That's our hope in the afternoon sometime. Approximately 2 or 3 is what we're looking at.
Q: Are there persons of interest, suspects.
A: It's the same status. We're continuing on with the same goals. The primary goal is the recovery of Isabel in a safe way. That's gonna be our first goal. The second goal is to continue on and maintain the integrity of the investigation so we can have a successful resolution to that. If needed that would be the prosecution of this case.
Q: Will there be any extra security for the family with all the media attention.
A: I can tell you that the assistant chief in charge of the investigation is considering that, I've heard him contemplating what needs to be considered. That decision hasn't been fully made yet.
Q: Are you expecting any drastic changes to come out of the briefing...
A: I think there will be some investigative changes and there will be a lot of work to be done, yes, as to whether or not you'll see them first-hand or the community will see that, I don't believe so. But a big part of this is those leads that we're getting from the community, from the media reports on this and those are what the detectives are following up on. And as you know there have been over a hundred each a day so that's a big component of this. We just ask the community's cooperation that they keep the leads coming towards us.
Q: What kind of information are you getting? What kind of details
A: Well I casn tell you they come. There is an investigative supervisor in charge specifically of those and they weigh them out and the assign them and each one is looked into. The very ones could be general in nature, they could be something that might not be relative to this investigation, but relevant to another agency or another investigation and we ensure that those are done. I know personally there was some information given to another agency to look into and we've had the most cooperation from all the law enforcement and other agencies around here.
Q: Prior to Friday night had there been any concerns by neighbors, did they tell you about any suspicious vehicles, people...
A: I don't think there's anything outstanding. What's important that we know is that as the investigation proceeds, we do go back and look at the information that may seem that it was covered, it didn't make a difference but the cumulative information we have now it may help make more sense now. So today will be part of that, reviewing those leads once more. It's a tedious task, but to say that something that didn't seem important on day one may be important now with collective information we have.
Q: Is this strictly TPD, or is the FBI still involved and the other agencies?
A: Yes, we have representatives of the US Marshals here and we have scheduled briefings throughout the day with other agencies.
Q: Has anyone with those leads thought they'd seen Isabel?
A: I think you reported on that, specifically the apartment complex, yesterday, that was one, that's a good example of that. Others have been looked into and eliminated. I would say, that I know of, two specifically that have been eliminated at this point.
Q: ...Surveillance cameras, have you guys had a chance to get your hands on any of the surveillance cameras?
A: That, as you know as part of the investigations, will always be looked into. And that's constantly looked into as information comes out. As to what we have in hand and when we have it and timelines and things like that, once again, I have to ask for your patience on that. That would be a vital part of any investigation, very important part. So therefore, the second goal would be to have, maintain the integrity of the investigation. For that reason, whatever we have on that we wouldn't be releasing at this point.
Q: We saw some evidence being taken out of a car from here, can you confirm that is the Celis's family car? And what evidence is being removed from the car.
a: I know throughout the investigation evidence has been taken, as to what exactly I'd have to look into that and get back to you.
Q: There are two sex offenders within the area, have they been spoken to?
A: We have talked to several within the area, surrounding area of the home, and we do have knowledge of speaking to them and we do have first hand information of where they were and what they were doing at that point.
Q: Has the family been questioned..
A: To be honest, the dialogue we are having with the family, I don't have the numbers on that. We continue to have their cooperation. So there's an open dialogue
Q: have you been questioning them?
A: I think every time we time to them, there's a dialogue and questioning of them.
Q;
A: That would be something the family does on their own, I don't have that information.
Q: Have you obtained or are you in the process of obtaining, any other search warrants...
A: That search warrant that was completed at 1:30 this morning was the last search warrant. The investigation continues. There is the possibility certainly is that there is the opportunity to get more search warrants. There are no more currently. That was the last
Q: The target of that investigation what we call the fruits of instrumentality, that part of the investigation, we'd be withholding that until we know the collective value of that.
Q: I know yesterday you asked the family and they released a brief statement about talking to the media.
A: I don't know of that, they asked us to pass on that written statement there. They are aware that that is something they have available there.
Q: do you have all the information of the specific leads, do you anticipate a break in the case?
A: That's a question I couldn't say. I'd say the movement is to stay with our protocols. Histrocally through investigations that's how you are successful. I know that conducting investigation of all styles that that's the way you have success..
Q: ?
A: That's our number one goal. That is our number one goal right now and we are going to continue on that path.
Q: ?
A: We can follow up on that and we'll continue on the same schedule so at 10:00 the next briefing.
I think a safe call would be probably 9:00.
Q: Will you have the information from that briefing at 10:00.
A: No, but there will be something to give out at 10:00.

Cazzie, I have searched for days for a pic of him. I searched for Mom to mention him on her page, anywhere. Nada.

This is my first post in this case but I have been following from the beginning. Not that it matters but I think Dad might be a little older than the Mum, unless I have the wrong guy - so maybe he doesn't have facebook or other online activities.

Hope this wee one is found safe soon :please:

Well gee, now I'm even more scared for her. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm thinking.

Has anyone seen a photo of Isa's father (I have not)...he doesn't seem to be on FB (when looking at Mom's)?

There appears to be a pic of the whole family with Dad (Mom taking photo) from Bellagio on her FB mobile uploads.

That's the first thing I noticed on Saturday on the mom's Facebook. Nada no where.

Cheif is meeting with County Attorney...It's a start.

Yes, strange. I feel less of a PNC that others noticed. I guess it could be explained. Perhaps he's just very private.
I just thought I'd see some mention, some image in a background. She's def a devoted mom.

I think I'm finally beginning to understand the earlier comment from LE that they are considering giving the family protection. Ditto that they were in an undisclosed location for a couple days...and that they are free to return to the home "when they are ready".

I did a google search of the father and Tucson,Az. I came up with an orchestra site that mentioned someone with the same name and had a picture. Mother mentioned one of the kids playing violin on her fb so I am thinking this is him, but no gaurantee.

Jessica Lunsford
Danielle Van Dam
Lisa Irwin
Shasta Groene

Many, many more. Really, the dog thing is a red herring.

In Baby Lisa's case the dog was in a fenced in back yard.

In Danielles case, the dog had his voice box removed.

Jessica had a small dog that slept on her bed with her. The dog may or may not have barked, we don't know.

Shasta was not taken out of her bed secretly in the middle of the night, with nobody hearing anything.

That is what bothers me. They apparently had three dogs in their home. It still bugs me that nobody would hear any kind of a ruckus.

This case is breaking my heart. Isabel is so beautiful, and she looks like my dd at that age. I pray she is found safe soon.

Thanks everyone for all the updating and hard work your doing!!!

On one of the local news FB pages, a gentleman posted that he was in a opera group with Isa's dad...so I think it's safe to say the singer is the father....

In Baby Lisa's case the dog was in a fenced in back yard.

In Danielles case, the dog had his voice box removed.

Jessica had a small dog that slept on her bed with her. The dog may or may not have barked, we don't know.

Shasta was not taken out of her bed secretly in the middle of the night, with nobody hearing anything.

That is what bothers me. They apparently had three dogs in their home. It still bugs me that nobody would hear any kind of a ruckus.

yes, and the neighbor stated in a television interview that the dogs barked a lot if they were in the yard. That does not mean that they would not bark if they were inside.

There are two pictures of Dad on Mom's FB. At least it would appear to be Dad...

yes, and the neighbor stated in a television interview that the dogs barked a lot if they were in the yard. That does not mean that they would not bark if they were inside.

He said they barked if you walked by the house and they were out. Which would make me think they would bark if someone entered the house that they didnt know. JMO

Yes, strange. I feel less of a PNC that others noticed. I guess it could be explained. Perhaps he's just very private.
I just thought I'd see some mention, some image in a background. She's def a devoted mom.
Lots of people don't use FB, and even when their spouses do.

I think we WS-ers have gotten used to many cases where the people do.

FB is trying to take over the world, and is starting with our minds. :eek: ;)

Btw, earlier I had to THINK about what PNC means, and luckily a post above another one of yours spelled it out before my 2 brain cells maxed out. ;)

Lots of people don't use FB, and even when their spouses do.

I think we WS-ers have gotten used to many cases where the people do.

FB is trying to take over the world, and is starting with our minds. :eek: ;)

Btw, earlier I had to THINK about what PNC means, and luckily a post above another one of yours spelled it out before my 2 brain cells maxed out. ;)

my hubby does not have a FB. I have pics of him on mine though. I have no clue what PNC means.

Is it normal for FBI to be involved so quickly?

my hubby does not have a FB. I have pics of him on mine though. I have no clue what PNC means.

Is it normal for FBI to be involved so quickly?

In most child abduction cases, the FBI is involved from the get-go because they can provide resources that often times the local PD can't.

On the last thread someone brought up illegals....the real possiblilty is that AZ is second in the world for kidnappings! It is possible wrong house, wrong kid!

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6848672&page=1

So far, the kidnappings seem to be happening more in the Phoenix area, but we've had a number of "home invasions" in the SW part of town. With the apparent family connections close to the border and probably even in Mexico, I suspect LE is keeping an eye on that possibility. I agree that this is not a family that seems like a member of the household would do any harm...I do have questions about "satellite" family members...and their friends....

LE is meeting with the County Attorney? I guess this could mean that they want to bring him up speed on the case or confer about a legal question/issue, but Yikes! That's not where my mind went initially.

My hubby doesn't have a facebook page. The only reason I have one is to keep in touch with family and to post pictures of my 1st Grandson. Yep, I'ma PROUD GMA as of 02/29/12!!! Sorry for the OT, lol.:woohoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021