AZ AZ - Richard Blaine Smith, 47, Mohave County, 7 June 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by doodles1211, Jun 17, 2019.

1. doodles1211

doodles1211 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mohave County Sheriff’s Office Deputies are currently investigating a report of a missing person.

Richard Blaine Smith, 47, of Oatman, was last seen on about 2 p.m. June 7 at a property around milepost 21 on Oatman Highway.

Smith is a white male, 5 feet, 10 inches, about 137 pounds with blonde hair and blue eyes.

To offer tips or provide more information, contact the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office at 928-753-0753 and reference DR#19-021683.
    MCSO Attempting to Locate Missing Person

TatianaBarbie, HayLouise, mrz and 2 others like this.
  2. doodles1211

doodles1211 Well-Known Member

According to Googlemaps... Mile marker 21 is right about where W. Aquarius Drive and the Oatman hwy meet... not much out there. A property to the west and what appears to be a gun range to the north.

Google Maps

upload_2019-6-17_19-38-10.png

TatianaBarbie, HayLouise, mrz and 2 others like this.
  3. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

I really hope this man can be found. Where they know where he was last seen, he must have had a reason to be at that obscure location, which can hopefully lead to him being found. There are so few landowners in that area, I wanted to make sure of the location.

On that link, Google maps showed an address of 21 Oatman Highway as a suggestion, because google maps doesn't show mile markers! There was no red pin, unless you put the cursor over the address suggestion.

In fact, if you ask google about mile markers on highways, it says to look for the nearest exit, and that will [sometimes] have a mile number, or google said to google walk the highway to look for the mile marker. Since the Oatman Highway doesn't have exit numbers, I google walked the highway. Mile marker 23 is just south of Oatman, AZ. Mile marker 22 is 1 mile further south of Oatman:

Google Maps

One mile south of that would be here, right where the red pin is, at a dirt road heading west:

Google Maps

You are right about there not being much in this area. The only interesting man-made attraction between Oatman and Golden Shores (a town near the Topock Marsh Lake) happens to be a private patriotic statue off the the dirt road opposite mile marker 21:

https://www.route66news.com/2011/09/11/man-builds-veterans-monument-near-oatman/

"The memorial is just off Route 66, about 1.5 miles south of Boundary Cone Road. The dirt road leading to the memorial is on the right going south, almost directly across from mile marker 21."
    Two notes about the above veterans monument quote: "Boundry Cone Road" (that's what it's called on the street sign that is up) is called "Oatman Road" on google maps (CR-155), and Oatman Highway is also labelled at Route 66, as it is part of the original Route 66, though county-maintained. (The "official" state-maintained part of Route 66 in Arizona is east of Kingman.)

I hope LE seriously looked at why Richard was on the land at that location. I think it is important.

Jim_M likes this.
  4. TatianaBarbie

5. TatianaBarbie

Penny4YourThoughts and Jim_M like this.
  6. Kimberly Sullivan

Kimberly Sullivan New Member

I just became a member after my son sent me this link. Richard is my son's father. Richard's brother owned the land that Rich was last seen on, and was working on the property there. I sincerely hope we can get some kind of closure for my son. Thank you for

7. Searcher082371

Searcher082371 New Member

I have some info that the local police already have but just wanted to share with people here.
    • The property Richard was last seen on is his brother's.
    • He was dropped off by a family member as he was building a house. This had been going on for a few months at least.
    • When the family member return to pick Richard up, they were met with the fire department and found the framing of the house was burned down.
    • I couldn't find any info on the fire, but I do know it was considered arson.
    Source: I am a family member to Richard

If anyone has or can find more info about his whereabouts, please let the Oatman Sheriff's department know. Thank you for your time.

8. Knox

Knox Wear Pink & Eat Cake ~ Lauren Giddings

Trying to get this straight.

Richard is building a house on property in/near Oatman. The property is owned by his brother.

Did someone take him to and from the construction site daily? Was he ever seen after the house being framed caught on fire? Is he suspected of being the arsonist?

TatianaBarbie likes this.
  9. TatianaBarbie

NervousNellie and broadviewren like this.
  10. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

five foot 10 and only 137 pounds. Was he suffering from an illness? That's seriously underweight for a man of that height.

11. Kimberly Sullivan

His mother brought him there daily. He was last seen at the property on June 7th .Same day as the fire. His mom went to pick him up and found the fire department there

Penny4YourThoughts likes this.
  12. Kimberly Sullivan

He had Crohn's disease

13. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

Thanks - my Mom had that - it's a lot to deal with. I hope he is found soon.