Baby born with three arms

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by dark_shadows, Jun 1, 2006.

1. dark_shadows

dark_shadows Former Member

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- Doctors in Shanghai on Tuesday were considering surgery options for a 2-month-old boy born with an unusually well-formed third arm.

Neither of the boy's two left arms is fully functional and tests have so far been unable to determine which was more developed, said Dr. Chen Bochang, head of the orthopedics department at Shanghai Children's Medical Center.

"His case is quite peculiar. We have no record of any child with such a complete third arm," Chen said in a telephone interview. (Watch Jie-jie in his hospital cradle -- :47)

news link

2. Loading...

3. LadyCat

LadyCat Cat slave

Hey Dark_shadows - that link doesn't work. I wanted to see this - is there a link for the article?

4. Jean

Jean Former Member

5. dark_shadows

dark_shadows Former Member

Hi there LadyCat,
    If you go to the first post and click on "news link" you see the photo and the video.

6. H0NEYWEST

H0NEYWEST I have a .38 and an ocelot ~ they're both loaded

Why are they in such a hurry to cut one off? It's not like an extra arm will do any damage. Maybe they should wait to see how the child develops.

Multi-Task Ching? (running hiding!!!)<RUNNING hiding>

7. fran

fran Former Member

:D

Seriously, though, poor little fella. Hope everything works out ok for him. One way or the other, he's probably always going to have some sort of deformity, but he'll probably be ok.

He looks so sweet. Hope they're holding him. He looks like he needs some bonding.

JMHO
    fran

8. Yakwoman

Yakwoman 25 cents a look!

A distant cousin of mine was born with a third eye - for real! It wasn't fully developed and they removed it and did plastic surgery and you could never tell by looking at him.

9. BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff New Member

It's not the arms so much as the fact neither has a truly functioning hand. One if permanently flexed, the other has no palm. Looks like he was going to be a twin at some point.

10. blueclouds

blueclouds Former member

I don't think they should cut it off at all. I heard otherwise that these arms are remarkably well developed. Why the hurry? And why at all? IF all 3 work? Just because he would look "different"? Whatever. I wouldn't do it.

11. marynice

marynice Member