Baby mummy was New Hampshire family heirloom

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
CONCORD, N.H. -- A mummified body of a baby belonging to a Concord, N.H. family has drawn attention from investigators.

The baby's current owner, Charles Peavey, said the tiny mummy has been passed down in his family for many years.

Concord police recently got word of the remains and they took them in for testing. A forensic anthropologist will examine the tiny corpse.

Peavey said the mummy belonged to his great-great uncle, who was born in Ashland in 1850. The family estimates the mummy is 90 years old.

story with video

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Thanks Grams just leave me the china!!

The police learned of the mummy several days ago, when Peavey's 4-year-old great-niece was overheard saying something troubling at a local day care: "A girl was picking on her," Peavey said, "and she said, 'Be careful. My uncle's a killer. He has a dead baby.'"
Day care staff didn't know what to make of it, so they spoke to the girl's mother and notified the police. When the police visited the mother at her home, the officers saw a photograph on the kitchen table that troubled them, Peavey said. It depicted a living infant (Peavey's great-nephew) next to the mummy.

Peavey knows his great-great uncle never married, traveled the globe and was an eccentric collector who told tall tales. That's made it harder to determine the mummy's history, he said.

Peavey's cousin heard the mummy was from Egypt. Another relative said it was from an island. Two versions say the child was Hawaiian. One relative heard the mummy was found in a Hawaiian cave. Peavey sticks with the story his late father told him.

Before he died a decade ago, Charles Peavey Sr. told his son that his great-great uncle had been in love with a Hawaiian woman who was carrying his child. The woman died during childbirth, the story goes, and the baby was delivered stillborn.

After the great-great uncle's death, the box with the mummy went to Peavey's Uncle Harry Peavey in Manchester for a while, and then eventually to Peavey, about 1999. Peavey had heard about the mummy but had been told it was lost or broken into bits. When he found it at his uncle's house, in a box under a day bed and in one piece, he asked his aunt if he could photograph it.

"She said, 'Do you want it?'"Peavey remembered.

:eek:

story

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh what?
The Human Condition truly continues to amaze me. :waitasec:

LOL! I received a call from a university administrator a couple of days. He asked if I wanted a human skeleton! Apparently they were cleaning out an old trailer on campus and found a locked cupboard. The skeleton was inside. They think it belonged to a former anthropology professor but there is no documentation.

Of course my rsponse was "YES!" I have the skeleton in a box in the my office now -- for teaching purposes, of course.

I have a whole new appreciation for the ugly vase ....LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back