Bad Weather Slams Central Florida

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Shadow205, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

It has been a rough morning for most of Central Florida. A line of heavy weather tracked across Central Florida between 2:30 a.m. and 7 a.m.

All of Central Florida has been under tornado watches and warnings most of the night. The weather caused severe accidents and cut down power to many.

Kim Miller from the Florida Highway Patrol said that tornadoes and severe weather caused wrecks on Interstate 4 near State Road 44 in DeLand involving five tractor-trailers and two vehicles. Three people were taken to the hospital, however none of the injuries are believed to be life threatening.
    Lady Lake
    Lady Lake Police reported that a tornado touched down around 3:15 a.m. Power outages have been reported in Lady Lake. The storm producing the tornado crossed Lake Griffin, moving south of Emeralda and toward Umatilla in Lake County.

In Lady Lake, the North Lake Presbyterian Church, located on Rolling Acers Road, behind Home Depot, has been set up as a shelter for anyone in need.

Lake County
    Christie Mysinger from the Lake County Sheriff's Office said, "We have several unconfirmed fatalities and many injuries, structural damage to homes, trees and power lines down in roads." Since that announcement, there have been two confirmed deaths in Lake County.
    more at the link http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2007/2/2/bad_weather_slams_central_florida.html

2. Loading...

3. MrsMush99

MrsMush99 Former Member

My MIL lives in Orlando I just called her to make sure she's ok. Thank God she's fine. But hubby's uncle lives in Lake County. We're waiting to hear from him.

4. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

Deaths Reported as Storm Moves Across Central Florida

TAVARES, Fla. — Severe thunderstorms tore through central Florida early Friday, damaging homes, causing power outages and killing at least seven people, authorities said.

Sgt. John Herrell of the Lake County Sheriff's Office confirmed seven people died in the Lake Mack area of DeLand.

WOFL reported several tornados touched down.

Mike Turner, a technician with the National Weather Service in Melbourne, said it appeared at least one fatality occurred in the Lady Lake area, northeast of Orlando.

The storms moved across Sumter and Lake counties around 3:15 a.m., then moved to Volusia County, said Peggy Glitto, a weather service meteorologist.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249758,00.html

5. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

From the video being shown on FOX news, it looks bad. "The Villages" seem to have been hit really bad. Major damage being reported in Deland, Lake Mack and The Villages. Authorities are still doing search and rescue. They are reporting "mass casualties." Early reports of 300-500 homes totally destroyed.

6. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

7. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

I hope that your hubby's Uncle is OK MrsMush99. Lake county looks like it has severe damage. Lake County Sheriff's said " We have complete and total devastation."
    I have several friends that I am anxious to hear from. We have several Websleuth's members in that general area too. I hope that they are all OK.

8. LisainWV

LisainWV New Member

My mom and dad had close friends who have retired to Lady Lake. They are trying to find out about them.

What a terrible story.

More tornado warnings on CNN just now!!

9. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

Another tornado just touched down in Indian River county at Grant which is near Vero Beach.

10. Peter Hamilton

Peter Hamilton New Member

those poor people--terrible storm--Fatal tornados are rare in Florida--Except for the 1998 storms, you almost never hear of any fatalities--That's because most of the tornados we get are F0's, winds 50 to 90 mph--but these look like F2's! winds 150 mph!---Parts of north central Florida look like the Midwest! Midwest tornados are typically F2's and above--The 1999 OKlahoma City Tornado had winds clocked by mobile radar at 317 mph!!-44 people were killed and 660 were injured---The 1998 tornados killed dozens here in Florida in the very same area as these today--The great 1925 Tornado that went thru the midwest killed 689 people,the worst tornado in history--latest death toll from this storm today is now fourteen! awful

11. Love_Mama

Love_Mama Rest In Peace

Oveall... the whole area involved........14 people reported dead now.............CNN

This is BAD! Pray for these people please!

xxxxxxxxooooooooo
    mama :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

12. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

13. Peter Hamilton

Now they're saying possible F3!--that's near 200 mph--This has to be related to Global Warming--1998 was the hottest year in recorded istory and the 1998 Florida tornados were th worst in state history--1998 also had a strong El Nino, the warming of the Pacific ocean--There is also a El Nino now, albeit weaker than 1998

14. Love_Mama

Love_Mama Rest In Peace

So once this is desiginated a "disaster" let's see how fast FEMA comes in.
    It will be interesting.

xxxxxxxxxxooo
    mama :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

15. Peter Hamilton

Did anyone see that Lady Of Lake Church? Totally destroyed and it supposedly was built to withstand 150 mph

16. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

I found this recent article in reference to the "Christmas Day" tornado that hit Florida:

Posted on Wed, Jan. 31, 2007

VOLUSIA COUNTY
    FEMA denies tornado relief

DAYTONA BEACH - (AP) -- Federal assistance has been denied for Volusia County residents struck by tornadoes on Christmas Day, authorities said.

Volusia County Emergency Management Director Jim Ryan said he has supplied Gov. Charlie Crist's office with information to appeal Friday's decision from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

In one of his final acts as Florida's governor, Jeb Bush asked the federal government for assistance for parts of the state hit Christmas Day with tornadoes, thunderstorms and heavy rains. Bush declared a state of emergency for Volusia County, as well as Columbia, Lake, Pasco and Sumter counties.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/state/16584326.htm

17. LionRun

LionRun Former Member

This is incredible. The destruction reminds me of what we would see on a bad day in tornado alley. Prayers for poor souls hurt by theses storms. My heart goes out to the folks in Florida.

I remember May 27th, 1997. We were in an El Nino then. We had a horrific F5 up in Jarrell, Texas. We also had an F3 in my town. I spent one day searching with my dog in Cedar Park and 3 days in Jarrell. Jarrell was unbelievable--some of our search grid was empty, nothing to search. It looked like a barren farmer's field. We did eventually come across debris and remains. It was a sad, sad, time.

Incidentally, who do we have in that part of central Florida who belong to our group? I hope all of our members are okay.

Land softly,

Lion

18. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

My parents are there visiting friends and just called to say they are okay. However, the house next to them had several trees down and one street over looks like a war zone, according to my mom. She said it was terrifying, that she heard that "train sound" that people talk about for the first time in her life.

Thank God they are alright! I pray that help arrives quickly and that everyone will be okay.

19. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

Indian River(south central east coast) had a tornado touch down in the Fellsmere area this morning but the alert has been lifted. The storm is dying down.

20. Peter Hamilton

Wow--the humidity jumped up here ahead of the big storms coming--Heat Index is now 88 degrees!--but next 4 days it wil be high of only 70 and low of 60 as this strong cool front moves thru the area

21. LionRun

LionRun Former Member

I am glad that your Mom made it through the storm okay, anglemom.

Lion