FL FL - Baldwin, Duval Co Wht Male UP748, in wooded area adjacent to I-10, Sep'96

b741ma

Reaction score
This case is over 20 years old.

On September 23, 1996 Florida D.O.T. workers found some human remains in a wooded area adjacent to I-10 westbound at the US 301 exit ramp in Baldwin, within the area circumscribed by the exit ramp. Although we still don't know his identity his manner of death became quickly apparent to the investigators. His cranium was found to be consistent with Blunt Force Trauma with indication of at least one blow to the right side of the head. That's a pretty good indication that he was the victim of a homicide. There's no shortage of clues in this case. Here's what we know so far about the victim.

3186UMFL - Unidentified Male
3186UMFL_LARGE.jpg

Date of Discovery: September 23, 1996
Location of Discovery: Baldwin, Duval County, Florida
Postmortem Interval: 1-10 years (Namus estimates 5)
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Homicide by beating

Estimated Age: 33-42 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'7" to 5'9"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Healed nasal fractures, bilaterally.

Dentals: Available. Noticeable gap between upper front teeth. Tooth # 10 was lost significantly antemortem; however the surrounding teeth did not drift appreciably, leaving a
noticeable gap between the left central incisor (#9) and left canine (#11).
Fingerprints: Not available. Hands not recovered

Clothing: green army type jacket (heavyweight; medium); red/maroon sweatpants (medium); green t-shirt "Central Michigan Chippewas" (medium); 1 white sock; underwear, all found on the decedent.
Clothing: white "Sasson" brand shorts found near the body.
Accessories: In the victims Jacket pocket were Bic disposable razor; ink pen; sanding/sharpening-type wet stone; 2 tubes of lip balm. from shorts: $0.68 (coins, dated as late as 1986)

If you have any theories as to the identity of this man, his killer, or anything else pertaining to this case then please post them here. With our combined efforts we may be able to solve this case.

Links
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
3186UMFL
Florida Unidentified Decedants Database

a lot of good clues and unique features, hoping the facial reconstruction is accurate! Snooped around NamUs again instead of studying, here are some men nearby that seem to fit;
Maxwell Allen Graham - didn't look like the UID at first but when i look at his face more, I can see it... a little young/a little tall but when they're estimating from complete skeletonization, I don't know how accurate it usually is. (just adding - this guy has 45 rule-outs, and they're not all from Virginia! that's great.)
Original

Kenneth Donald Brodacki - liked this guy at first as he has an obvious gap between his front teeth (like the UID) but it seems to be a gap between #8 and #9, not #9 and a drifted over #11.
Original

Daniel Jay Fools - Another guy who i think looks like the UID, if his nose was lower and face was thinner. Car found abandoned in 1984, can't find any other circumstances.
Original

Charles Jonathan Lawson - paid for his taxi and then left? Wasn't wearing same clothes as UID. Different info given (DOC, and age?) given at NamUs vs Charley Project. He has a smaller than average nose, like the facial reconstruction.
lawson_charles.jpg

David Edwin Wirthlin - circumstances list this as a possible homicide. Has the thin face and thin nose.
Original

Just for fun I looked at MP from Michigan, to see if there was any connection with the Central Michigan Chippewas shirt he was wearing.
Terry Lee Shyer - this guy seemed to be a bit of a transient and was drug-connected. NamUs says he had heavily decaying teeth that he pulled himself. Darn, if only we had a picture to see if tooth #10 was missing! Doesn't necessarily look like the UID but doesn't look unlike him, either.
Original

Robert Lee Stuewe - i think he bears a passing resemblance to the UID.
Original

John Kelly Gentry - wanted criminal who apparently was last known to have traveled down to California. the UID being killed + dumped makes me think he might have been involved in criminality. Pics aren't too great, but if it's anything his nose looks crooked, like it might have been fractured in the past.
Original

of course, a ton of missing people with no picture and no circumstances other than "last seen on [date]", and he could be any one of them...

Has the match been confirmed by Law Enforcement?
its been confirmed by LE directly to the tipster (the websleuths user) only right now - i don’t believe the match has reached media yet.

Ruleouts according to NAMUS:
Jimmy Kevin Wade
Bobby Glen Stephens

Alan Stanfield vanished from Macclenny, Florida in January 1988.

Height is way off, but otherwise he'd be a good match, even location-wise.

View attachment 242109

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I think Stanfill might be a good match. This case is local to me, and I can confirm that Baldwin and Macclenny are very close to one another.

Baldwin is a very small town. If he were local, I'm sure that someone would have probably recognized him unless he was killed by the person who was supposed to have reported him missing. Since there isn't a lot to see and do in that particular area, I'm assuming that he was just dumped there, considering its close proximity to I-10. Baldwin is also very close to US-301, another highway that travels north to south between Florida and the mid-Atlantic.

For what it's worth, though, Jacksonville (a major city) is also minutes away, so it's possible that he didn't come from too far away. Still, I think that he could be from practically anywhere in the southern and eastern United States.

"The Central Michigan Chippewas are the intercollegiate athletic teams that represent Central Michigan University, located in Mount Pleasant, Michigan"
Could this UID be from Michigan?

"The Central Michigan Chippewas are the intercollegiate athletic teams that represent Central Michigan University, located in Mount Pleasant, Michigan"
Could this UID be from Michigan?
thats what i was thinking in post #3, couldnt find any men on NamUs who explicitly fit his description (also not a lot to go on), always worth a second look though

I just checked and it seems I never sent Stanfield in as a potential match. I'll do so today. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back