Barack Obama: Why we must rethink solitary confinement

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by shadowraiths, Jan 25, 2016.

1. shadowraiths

shadowraiths LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special Moderator

[​IMG]

[color=#0080000]In 2010, a 16-year-old named Kalief Browder from the Bronx was accused of stealing a backpack. He was sent to Rikers Island to await trial, where he reportedly endured unspeakable violence at the hands of inmates and guards — and spent nearly two years in solitary confinement.

In 2013, Kalief was released, having never stood trial. He completed a successful semester at Bronx Community College. But life was a constant struggle to recover from the trauma of being locked up alone for 23 hours a day. One Saturday, he committed suicide at home. He was just 22 years old.[/color]​

[​IMG]

Washington Post

2. Loading...

3. shadowraiths

More links:

Before the Law: A boy was accused of taking a backpack. The courts took the next three years of his life. (The New Yorker)

Kalief Browder, Held at Rikers Island for 3 Years Without Trial, Commits Suicide (The New York Times)

4. kimi_SFC

kimi_SFC New Member

Thank you for starting this thread, shadowraiths. I remember when Kalief's story was first publicized -
    truly tragic! :rose:

I hope this thread opens up a thoughtful dialogue on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. wendybtn

wendybtn Active Member

Why is Obama singling out this one niche of criminal law when the entire 1993 sentencing guidelines need to be re-written? The case he is referring to sounds more like a NY DOC problem, where charges should have been brought against individuals or the DOC as a whole.

6. shadowraiths

Have to start somewhere. This particular issue is as good as any. Especially since solitary confinement affects so many (the accused, criminals and the mentally ill) in both federal and state prisons.

7. wendybtn

wendybtn Active Member

Since only Congress can change or write laws, do you think Obama will get this done, when he has not managed to do anything constructive with Congress for the last seven years? Sometimes I even like an idea I hear him speak about, but he never gets anything done.

8. Betty P

Betty P Active Member

The right to put prisoners in solitary confinement while in prison isn't written into law. It's done at the discretion of the prison. Since Obama is in charge of the Executive Branch, he can make changes on his own where the federal prison system is concerned.

ETA: According to the link at the top of this thread, Obama already has issued new guidelines for solitary confinement in federal prisons. Good for him. The FBI will monitor it's application in federal prisons. Hopefully, it will serve as a guideline for state and other prisons.

http://www.justice.gov/restrictivehousing

If abuse continues in state prisons, he has other options available.

9. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Active Member

NAMI Applauds President's Call to "Rethink" Solitary Confinement

Why so many people with mental illnesses are in prison is another question, but this is something.

10. bluesneakers

I just read this about Indiana:

Indiana to provide treatment to mentally ill prisoners under settlement

11. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Why was he put in solitary confinement? They don't usually do that unless they need to protect the inmate, because of crimes they are accused of, OR to protect others from them, because of their violent behavior. So why did he spend 2 yr in solitary over a backpack? THere has to be more to this story.

12. bluesneakers

There's a lot more. You should read the article.

13. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Active Member

He was in solitary confinement for fighting. Every time he was released from solitary confinement he would be sent back soon after for fighting. FWIW his brother advised him to get himself sent to solitary confinement if he didn't feel safe.

14. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

There is more to the story than what you've stated. Have you read any of the articles linked here?

15. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Yes, I read the first article linked and it said nothing about WHY he was in solitary.

16. bluesneakers

How a routine traffic stop turned into six months in solitary confinement

Snip

Snip

This is long, but it's a well-written and worth the read.

17. bluesneakers

UN Report Compares Solitary Confinement Practices in the U.S. and Around the World

Report: Seeing into Solitary: A Review of the Laws and Policies of Certain Nations Regarding Solitary Confinement of Detainees

More at both links.

18. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

I don't see that he killed himself because he spent 3 yrs in prison, three yrs after he got out, what i see is he was going back to prison as to why he killed himself. Jmo