'Barefoot Contessa' taking heat for repeatedly rejecting 'Make-A-Wish' cancer patient

She's only meeting with him because of the bad PR she got when she turned his wish down 2x. It's interesting that she was able to find time in her schedule once the press got hold of the story.

I'm aware of that & I'm also aware that with some people, nothing she does from now on will be right, so she should do what she feels is right. However, all those people that were up in arms should not be hypocritical, the child IS getting his wish & that was the most important thing.

The end result is the same, the child is getting to meet with her.

I absolutely love some of her recipes (her chicken pot pie is out of this world good) but I think she does come across kind of snooty and privileged. But, while I don't think I would want to hang out with her or be her friend, the woman can cook, and I have enjoyed some of her recipes.

I absolutely love some of her recipes (her chicken pot pie is out of this world good) but I think she does come across kind of snooty and privileged. But, while I don't think I would want to hang out with her or be her friend, the woman can cook, and I have enjoyed some of her recipes.

I'm not really a fan but I don't cook. Two of my bff's adore her though so I hear about her a lot from them gushing over her. She doesn't appear as annoying as that Hee Haw Paula Deen. I'd rather listen to someone come across as snooty & priviledged (and possibly toned down?) as that constant "yawwwlll".

Good Morning....Ina and Paula are ladies in their 60s....and I think they differ
greatly from each other. Maybe it depends on where you grew up and/or
live now as to whether you would enjoy them on FN or in person. I hate to
see either one of them belittled for the way they talk or the company they
keep. Ina has a half hour show. If she bothered me I would change the
channel, but that is what I do for lots of shows....some are good, some not
so much.

As for the young child, I think he watched the TV programs his mom suggested and I think she likes/liked Ina. I hope he is not disappointed that
he waited to meet his "wish". I guess I think of Disney World for a 6 year old.

...snip...

As for the young child, I think he watched the TV programs his mom suggested and I think she likes/liked Ina. I hope he is not disappointed that

I agree - my 8-yr-old son LOVES to watch Barefoot Contessa with my mom when we visit her. I think she does have a very calm demeanor on her show that some of them don't and I think that appeals to my son and my mom. I don't care for her personally, but I agree she can cook.

Good Morning....Ina and Paula are ladies in their 60s....and I think they differ
greatly from each other. Maybe it depends on where you grew up and/or
live now as to whether you would enjoy them on FN or in person. I hate to
see either one of them belittled for the way they talk or the company they
keep. Ina has a half hour show. If she bothered me I would change the
channel, but that is what I do for lots of shows....some are good, some not
so much.

I was born & still live in the deep south, IMO Paula's southern drawl is greatly exaggerated, when it needn't be. That's not belittling her, it just works my nerves. My mom loves Paula so I've been treated to many of her recipes, which were delish! There are traits to each of them that I like, some I don't care for.

Hopefully Ina will receive an outpouring of goodwill by those that have raked her over the coals for not meeting with the child, since she has changed her mind, even if she was "forced" to.

I think she fully deserved the heat she took. Now she decides to meet with a dying child, MO it's too little too late, it's meaningless when she was forced to do it the way she was, because she got bad publicity?? Odd that now her schedule allows it. I'm glad the little boy gets his wish though.

Why should she be revered because she has a cooking show, gheesh it's not like she found a cure for cancer.

What difference does it make why she changed her mind? The child still gets his wish.

If no excuse was good enough for her to turn him down, then she should get the same consideration for meeting with him. It shouldn't matter "why", she's doing it, just be glad she is.

What difference does it make why she changed her mind? The child still gets his wish.

If no excuse was good enough for her to turn him down, then she should get the same consideration for meeting with him. It shouldn't matter "why", she's doing it, just be glad she is.

Self serving is not commendable. MO

Self serving is not commendable. MO

Didn't say it was, but she's meeting with him. I haven't read where Enzo has said that he doesn't want to, so if Enzo is cool with it, it's no one else's business.

My bolding It was said from the outset what she based her decision on, her schedule wouldn't allow it. Why are you ignoring that, do you not wish to believe it?

I'm not ignoring it, I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt since I'm not her, or on her staff.

I am in agreeance with your thinking. I'm a big fan of Ina's - watch her show and have many of her books, sure she's not for everyone - but she is for me.

Ina has every right to be rich and succesful, with a large business, and now, become known for it - as she built her business from the ground up. That does instantly turn her into celebrity jerk who can't be bothered to meet with a sick child. Who knows what her reasons were, if she in fact choose not to meet with him, because they are her reasons and she is entitled to them. She's a good cook, who has a successful tv show and a series of books, she does not present herself as anything but that.

I think its terrible that this story was pushed by the rag TMZ and the family. Basically, its you did not meet with our sick child so now we'll trash you.

And it worked.

For those who doubted TMZ, well MSM reported the story...via ABC. And she caved to the pressure, so whatever schedule she had that was solidly set in stone apparently had some wiggle room.

I guess there is nothing fishy about the family. I am happy at the outcome provided Enzo still wants to hang with her.

I think he should pick Michael Symon, but it isnt my wish. ;)

The reason that was put out in the beginning, if I'm not mistaken, was that she had a heavy book tour schedule. If I'm going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt it would be Enzo's family and Make a Wish.

I read that the family had moved on and was now planning on him swimming with the dolphins, is it known for sure that they have decided to meet with Ina?

Not surprised that no one has posted this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dai...en-to-meet-host-one-of-her-youngest-fans.html

"Garten was completely blindsided by the media firestorm this weekend over her reported refusals to meet with the young boy suffering from cancer. The boy would watch Garten from his sick bed, and twice requested a meeting with her through Make-A-Wish. The second time the request was made, Garten's representatives -- unbekown to her -- gave the family a "definite no." Disappointed, the boy's family wrote about the rejection on its blog. From there, it was picked up by TMZ and exploded online, with criticism raining down on Garten's head."

Sounds to me like someone on her staff dropped the ball. Not that that makes any of this ok, but she deserves the benefit of the doubt.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dai...en-to-meet-host-one-of-her-youngest-fans.html

"Garten was completely blindsided by the media firestorm this weekend over her reported refusals to meet with the young boy suffering from cancer. The boy would watch Garten from his sick bed, and twice requested a meeting with her through Make-A-Wish. The second time the request was made, Garten's representatives -- unbekown to her -- gave the family a "definite no." Disappointed, the boy's family wrote about the rejection on its blog. From there, it was picked up by TMZ and exploded online, with criticism raining down on Garten's head."

Sounds to me like someone on her staff dropped the ball. Not that that makes any of this ok, but she deserves the benefit of the doubt.

What would anyone expect her to say now? She needs to repair the damage done. It's nothing more than PR. MO

Wouldnt her staff have dealt with any of the requests for comment regarding the situation, or have come forward at the time to say, sorry I blew it?

I think this is CYA, but that is JMO.

What would anyone expect her to say now? She needs to repair the damage done. It's nothing more than PR. MO

LOL, so what would you have her do now? I have no idea the size of her staff, but there can be incompetence anywhere on her staff. For someone who reportedly supports MAW, and I don't think that has been disputed, she would look foolish to personally deny the request. What she's possibly guilty of is hiring an a-hole, and needs to deal with that employee.

Wouldnt her staff have dealt with any of the requests for comment regarding the situation, or have come forward at the time to say, sorry I blew it?

I think this is CYA, but that is JMO.

I think the employee didn't think the situation would blow up like this & wrongly assumed it would go away. Ina needs to clean house.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/barefoot-contessa-turns-make-kid/story?id=13238578

In a statement released today, Make-A-Wish said it supports Garten's move but noted that it's focusing on Pereda's second wish -- to swim with dolphins.

"Enzo and his family have publicly expressed excitement about his dolphin wish," a spokesperson for the foundation said in a statement to ABCNews.com. "According to his mother, Enzo has started sleeping in his swimsuit because he wants to be ready when he dreams about them at night."

The statement added, "We have been informed that Ina Garten plans to contact Enzo independently of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and we wish them well."

Congrats and thank you to John Cena of WWE who is bringing 30 make a wish kids to wrestlemania this coming weekend. This will bring his total to over 200 kids whom have had wishes come true. And to think it did not take bad publicity and the need to cover his own self serving butt to make it happen. Maybe "barefoot" contessa should strap up some wrestling boots, seems to have helped John Cena stay grounded.

She should change her name to calloused contessa

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back