Barn Cat Buddies finds homes for 'unadoptable' feral felines

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Dec 8, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

A good story for Caturday night.

Barn Cat Buddies serves special need (www2.wsls.com)
    the rest at the link, with a video

The Barn Cat Buddies website

2. Loading...

3. noZme

noZme Active Member

Thanks for sharing this link. I am adding BCB to my "Christmas list".

4. peeples

peeples New Member

I've got a 4 yr old rescue bengal like that, that needs an alternative home. Sad too because she's gorgeous.

5. panthera

panthera Retired WS Staff

This is awesome! Thankfully there are groups who make alternatives to kill-shelters and save our feline friends.

:heartluv:

6. panthera

I rescued a senior Bengal when her human passed away. She was beautiful and very loving toward us, however, she had been an "only child" for years and didn't care much for the other cats in our home. :(

7. SwampMama

SwampMama Insomniac Extraordinaire

Aww, I love this story! Anyone who knows me, know I love cats and have my own "kitty city". My current population of kitties is about about 8-12. All are spayed/neutered except for one male I cant catch. Population varies because some are strays that wander in and stay a while. Other are "ghost cats" that i never really see except for glimpses of them because they are so wild. Of course, I also have ones that are quite tame and lovable.

I have two very wild untouchable cats that I inherited when my uncle passed away 2 years ago. They were just strays that he loved and fed and even he could never touch them. It took a lot of patience (and treats) to finally catch them and bring them home with me. They will eat bits of yummy meat from my hand but will never let me touch them, it is just too scary for them. So I respect that and am just happy that they will eat from my hand and come and sit by me on the porch.

I am fortunate to live on a huge piece of property with no neighbors for miles so my kitties have lots of room to roam and sheds to shelter in. Of course they also have little warm kennels that I make for them in the winter.I have a little house (200 sq ft) that I used to live in and allow them to go in and out as they please because I leave to door open for them. They get regular meals and frequent treats of steak, pork chops, chicken, fish, shrimp and even alligator. Cajun kitties eat good food!!

I like to think my home is a refuge for kitties, especially those that would not be suited to be house pets or that have never had a real home. I would have more cats but Mr. Swamp says I am at my limit. There are a few that he doesn't know about since they hide and only come out at night to eat and avoid all human contact.

I love mornings when they are gathered and waiting for their breakfast. I call them and more of them appear from all over and gather on the porch of my playhouse where I feed them. I simply sprinkle kitty kibbles all over the porch because using bowls would cause fusses over whose bowl is whose.

How wonderful that there are other people in the world who look out for animals who need nontraditional homes.

8. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

Caturday! :great:

I'm so happy to hear this story, and happy to hear that others try to feed the poor outdoor kitties and look out for them.

In this area, the cities and counties, feral cats are euthanized. :( :( It makes no sense b/c the rat population is out of control. It is so awful to me. Keep them around and they will take care of pesky issues.

I've always thought this is a great alternative, especially for farm owners, or people with lots of land and empty buildings. It is good to know others think it and do it!

Thank you to all animal lovers out there that do their part! :)

9. noZme

noZme Active Member

a few of the somewhat feral "city kitties" I feed. They are so appreciative. Next step is to trap & neuter. I also have 9 at home (all came with a sad-last chance story) & 4 we still have at my mother's (she died last year). I keep crunchies in my car for "parking lot kitties", it's comforting to know they would have a full tummy at least once.

SwampMama, I love you & your cajun kitties, keep up the good work. If swamppapa cannot count them, they aren't really there.

[​IMG]

10. panthera

They look very content and aren't camera shy! Blessings to you, and everyone here who has posted their care for 'ferals', and especially supporting the TNR program.

:heartluv:

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I'll check in with mention of my feral rescue cat Osbert, who I loved like life itself, and who I miss very much.

12. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

I love all animals also, but sometimes these rescuers are doing more harm than good. I have seen owners who can't afford to give them proper medical treatment and when one gets sick they all get sick. It looks like this lady is responsible, but I have seen some that have so many that there is cat dodo and urine every where, which is so unhealthy for both the animals and owners. I think that euthanization is awful, but I also think an animal suffering is awful. I rescued one and she got out and got pregnant before I could get her fixed. She had five kittens. I had them all fixed as soon as they were old enough. The mother is now 19 and doing well. She outlived all her kittens. As one would pass away my kids or their friends seem to find another. The last two I rescued were left on the side of a major highway, they were maybe about 3 weeks old. They think I'm their mommy til this day. They are now 8. I'm holding at 5 cats which is what I have now. After these pass I'm going to quit. Maybe. Or at least keep it down to 1 or 2.

13. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

I love all animals also, but sometimes these rescuers are doing more harm than good. I have seen owners who can't afford to give them proper medical treatment and when one gets sick they all get sick. It looks like this lady is responsible, but I have seen some that have so many that there is cat dodo and urine every where, which is so unhealthy for both the animals and owners. I think that euthanization is awful, but I also think an animal suffering is awful. I rescued one and she got out and got pregnant before I could get her fixed. She had five kittens. I had them all fixed as soon as they were old enough. The mother is now 19 and doing well. She outlived all her kittens. As one would pass away my kids or their friends seem to find another. The last two I rescued were left on the side of a major highway, they were maybe about 3 weeks old. They think I'm their mommy til this day. They are now 8. I'm holding at 5. After these pass I'm going to quit. Maybe. Or at least keep it down to 1 or 2.

14. SwampMama

SwampMama Insomniac Extraordinaire

I love the picture and thank you for your kind words. I had to smile when you mentioned keeping crunchies in your car for parking lot cats. I do the same thing. I know I cant rescue them all and take them home but it makes me feel a bit better to know that they have a good meal. If that makes me a crazy cat lady, then so be it, I am happy to be one.

15. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

I fear that will happen to daughter's(avatar) as well. She needs a play mate.

Merry Christmas from Tally

16. Herding Cats

Herding Cats New Member

When I finally put it together and get my place, there will be a barn. And I will absolutely need barn cats. I LOVE that this organization is dealing with those kitties who are too feral to become house cats; are finding a way to help them, and to bring them to a safe place, where they're wanted, and where they'll be fed and handled.

I've "turned" many ferals into housecats, but there is one who lives inside with me who is still feral, even after close to 10 years. She will never be a lap kitty, but she has had a decent life, has a best friend, and is out of the elements and does not have to deal with cars. She is safe and warm, has enough food, and I'm content to let her be who she is...

But when I get my place, I will get another 6 or so cats for barn work. LOL :)

Best-
    Herding Cats