BELIZE - Alison MacKenzie, 43, tourist, from AZ, Rendezvous Caye, 18 Jan 2020

DUI in Arizona can also be drugs (including prescription drugs for which you have no prescription). Screen shot from the Arizona judicial system attached (public access so I think it's OK to attach). More info on legal ramifications of DUI in Arizona here. https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/a...under-the-influence-of-drugs-in-arizona-31808
Ah good point. She was under the influence of something so it does make me wonder if she was under the influence that night—especially with her reported erratic behavior.

That’s a really good point and gathering from the public defender. She may not have income, possibly inheritance? Or maybe a boyfriend with some sort of income? Maybe she was paid to accompany him?
Adding this for those considering suicide. In addition to all the dad deaths, she asked for and used a public defender for her DUI issue - so, she's not working - which may have been assumed since she took such a long trip, but also, she doesn't have any financial means.

Something to consider....
Belize is a major trans-shipment point for drugs coming from Columbia and going to the U.S.. According to the U.S. State Dept. as well as much in the media (esp. Belize media), drug cartels ship them in via air as well as sea. They use the 100's of little cayes Belieze has for trans-shipment, (they also do this in the Bahamas and other mjr trans-ship points). Sometimes airplanes do "wet-drops" and drop the drugs in the area and boats pick them up or sometimes larger boats can be used and smaller boats go out to deeper waters to meet them and pick up the goods. There are probably a number of other possible scenarios that occur in these trans-ship operations. They use stealthy "go-fast" boats and probably other stealthy craft, but they operate mostly at night where (at least in Belieze) they go virtually undetected because the government does not have the means to detect and track them. (When I lived in SoCal, the press would occassionally report that such craft would show up abandoned on the shores not far from where I lived). In Belieze there are rival gangs competing for control of these trans-ship routes. The crime that happens around drug trafficking is not a mystery to the local people and press. It could be that the captain and crew of this tour knew there is a possibilty of drug traffickers showing up (and making an exchange or smthg) on the dock of the island. The captain supposedly told Allison at 2:30 a.m. that she should go back to her tent and that she shouldnt be out there at night. Why would he say this if he didnt think dangerous elements could turn up on the island. Also in a recent interview the Belieze police chief gave to the media he said "I dont know what security measures they have out there (on the island)". Buy saying this the police chief is implying that there is a need for such measures. So it is a possibility that Allison was up late contemplating things(she had family deaths she was recovering from) and hanging out at late hours maybe on the dock (its a good place to sit at night if you want to enjoy a nightime view of the moon and water and maybe fish below the dock. Perhaps drug runners stealthily approached the dock to do a quite trans-shipment in the early hours and she accidentally witnessed this or encountered them. They may have kidnapped her or worse. This activity might not have been heard by the others who were sound asleep in a tent and probably under one of those huts with the ambient noise of the ocean. At night especially the noise of the lapping waves can muffle and drown out noises made a little further away. If you take a look at the local press you can easily find that such a tragedy has happened numerous times to both locals and tourists over the past years. People go missing or their bodies sometimes eventually turn up, float up etc. Unfortunately the police, coast gaurd and most of the government is grossly underfunded and they dont have the technology, manpower or trainning to see these cases through to any kind of justice (in the case of foul play).

Something to consider....
Belize is a major trans-shipment point for drugs coming from Columbia and going to the U.S.. According to the U.S. State Dept. as well as much in the media (esp. Belize media), drug cartels ship them in via air as well as sea. They use the 100's of little cayes Belieze has for trans-shipment, (they also do this in the Bahamas and other mjr trans-ship points). Sometimes airplanes do "wet-drops" and drop the drugs in the area and boats pick them up or sometimes larger boats can be used and smaller boats go out to deeper waters to meet them and pick up the goods. There are probably a number of other possible scenarios that occur in these trans-ship operations. They use stealthy "go-fast" boats and probably other stealthy craft, but they operate mostly at night where (at least in Belieze) they go virtually undetected because the government does not have the means to detect and track them. (When I lived in SoCal, the press would occassionally report that such craft would show up abandoned on the shores not far from where I lived). In Belieze there are rival gangs competing for control of these trans-ship routes. The crime that happens around drug trafficking is not a mystery to the local people and press. It could be that the captain and crew of this tour knew there is a possibilty of drug traffickers showing up (and making an exchange or smthg) on the dock of the island. The captain supposedly told Allison at 2:30 a.m. that she should go back to her tent and that she shouldnt be out there at night. Why would he say this if he didnt think dangerous elements could turn up on the island. Also in a recent interview the Belieze police chief gave to the media he said "I dont know what security measures they have out there (on the island)". Buy saying this the police chief is implying that there is a need for such measures. So it is a possibility that Allison was up late contemplating things(she had family deaths she was recovering from) and hanging out at late hours maybe on the dock (its a good place to sit at night if you want to enjoy a nightime view of the moon and water and maybe fish below the dock. Perhaps drug runners stealthily approached the dock to do a quite trans-shipment in the early hours and she accidentally witnessed this or encountered them. They may have kidnapped her or worse. This activity might not have been heard by the others who were sound asleep in a tent and probably under one of those huts with the ambient noise of the ocean. At night especially the noise of the lapping waves can muffle and drown out noises made a little further away. If you take a look at the local press you can easily find that such a tragedy has happened numerous times to both locals and tourists over the past years. People go missing or their bodies sometimes eventually turn up, float up etc. Unfortunately the police, coast gaurd and most of the government is grossly underfunded and they dont have the technology, manpower or trainning to see these cases through to any kind of justice (in the case of foul play).

yes welcome! Nice to have you and someone that clearly understands the realities in Belize and other Caribbean locations.

Not only do drugs arrive by sea, but by plane. One landed and was empty this week. Suspected drug shipment. http://www.7newsbelize.com/index.php#story1

I'm confused by the wording in this article. Was she acting oddly or not acting oddly?

Search Efforts Called Off; F.B.I. to Join Investigation for Missing Woman | Channel5Belize.com

"Canul told us that MacKenzie was not acting oddly on Friday night before she vanished. He lamented that authorities weren’t called in – which he believes could have prevented this tragedy:"
I honestly was confused by that particular article as well. I think it was a typo. I think what they were trying to say is that if the authorities would’ve been called in when she was supposedly acting erratically that this might have been prevented- I.e before she disappeared.

I have to note that some of these articles are sharing are automatically translated from creole or kriol . So everything may not translate accurately. It states that on some of the articles and some of the websites I’ve noticed.

I honestly was confused by that particular article as well. I think it was a typo. I think what they were trying to say is that if the authorities would’ve been called in when she was supposedly acting erratically that this might have been prevented- I.e before she disappeared.

I have to note that some of these articles are sharing are automatically translated from creole or kriol . So everything may not translate accurately. It states that on some of the articles and some of the websites I’ve noticed.
Yes, I'm not confused anymore. The video up above covering the stop for searching, the statement was actually "she was acting oddly".

JAN 23, 2020
Prescott woman missing after taking catamaran tour in Belize with her boyfriend
[...]

Commissioner of Police Chester Williams told 7 News Belize that the FBI has offered to help in the search.

"We are hoping that the result will be positive, even though it may seem far fetched," he said.

"At this time, there is no reason to believe that she was murdered. But we still are looking at it as such -- we must always investigate with the worst scenario in mind."

MacKenzie's boyfriend has been interviewed by police, Williams said. He added that there is no evidence at this time that he or someone else on the tour "may have done something to her."

[...]

JAN 23, 2020
Prescott woman missing after taking catamaran tour in Belize with her boyfriend
[...]

Commissioner of Police Chester Williams told 7 News Belize that the FBI has offered to help in the search.

"We are hoping that the result will be positive, even though it may seem far fetched," he said.

"At this time, there is no reason to believe that she was murdered. But we still are looking at it as such -- we must always investigate with the worst scenario in mind."

MacKenzie's boyfriend has been interviewed by police, Williams said. He added that there is no evidence at this time that he or someone else on the tour "may have done something to her."

[...]
So where does that leave it? They will stop looking for her, no foul play, she wasn’t murdered, her boyfriend and everyone else is in the clear, so did she swim off into the sunrise, have someone come get her in the middle of the night? Where the heck is she? Hidden/buried under sand? IMO

So where does that leave it? They will stop looking for her, no foul play, she wasn’t murdered, her boyfriend and everyone else is in the clear, so did she swim off into the sunrise, have someone come get her in the middle of the night? Where the heck is she? Hidden/buried under sand? IMO

yes this is perplexing to me- the missing body. I can well imagine a few sorts of scenarios like someone on the island killing her quietly, or her falling into the water and drowning, or even that she committed suicide.

But the missing body itself is inexplicable to me. The water is clear, there are many sand bars, there are other islands that catch the tides (was mentioned somewhere in an article that the current often flows into the neighboring bigger island).

MOO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288