Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by dotr, Apr 28, 2017.

1. otto

otto Verified Expert

After four years living in Belize for half the year, would they be stupid enough to be flashing wads of cash at a local bar?

I think not. Furthermore, it was an ex-pat restaurant/bar, so I'm guessing people paid with credit.

2. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm] and then what, they towed the car???

3. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

well let's not guess ... let's hypothesize based on facts

all we have now is the police statement

4. LayzeeDayzee

LayzeeDayzee Well-Known Member

When I read the published statement from the Belize Commander (or whatever his title is, can't remember exactly now), I did not get the impression he was blaming members of Francesca's community for her death, nor did I take his words to be insinuating that it was someone in her community for her death -- all I read was that members of her community were reportedly aware that she'd recently received some kind of threats (that she did not report to police) and he felt/?speculated that had any of them reported these threats to police that maybe she'd be alive today.

5. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://wkrn.com/2017/05/03/marine-from-nashville-girlfriend-found-strangled-to-death-in-belize/
    rbbm

6. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

curious as to which case this is?

7. Deluy

Deluy New Member

Wow, LE in Belize is taking a beating from the folks here. They certainly may have jumped the gun with the "robbery" motive but otherwise they seem to be forthcoming with information. I don't post much but I've followed dozens of cases on here where for years US LE releases virtually no information concerning a crime while the case grows colder and colder and everyone is still saying they're dotting their i's and crossing their t's. There is bad and corrupt policing everywhere but I don't think it's a given just because they're a third-world country.

8. Hazel

Hazel New Member

Apologies for quoting my own post, but turns out that yes, indeed, that is her Facebook "work" page, and she owns that VACATION HOME RENTAL.

The person in custody is her tenant, who was living in the ground floor. So far they only said goes by the name of "John" and haven't been seen for days.

I'll try to figure out how to post the link to the video news with all the details.

9. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

10. Hazel

Hazel New Member

Live Streaming Video on YouTube (it's offline)
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC823EN3FaKJ4Pk_ZIcp34LA/live[/video]

News 5 Live Video on Facebook

Click "play" and wait for a bit to start playing. After the ads, the News starts around the 10:50 mark.

https://www.facebook.com/News5Live/videos/1279848548802680/

11. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

really strange ... on that FB page is a Francesca with a different last name whose photos look nothing like our victim IMO but yet ... coincidence that there are two ladies with the same first name whose work, residence, and hometown are also identical? is it her with black hair?

eta: it's definitely not her with black hair ... quite a coincidence though

12. otto

otto Verified Expert

If someone wanted to steal the battery, they didn't need to steal the car.

13. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

did they give a last name?

14. otto

otto Verified Expert

Do you believe that a 52 year old female foreigner who lived in Belize, and who described the country as "lawless", would flash a wad of cash in a restaurant during dinner?

15. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

ah I see what you meant thanks

16. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

nothing's impossible or even improbable where human behaviour is concerned

17. LayzeeDayzee

So according to the Belize Staff Sarg. who did the interview, the doctor who performed the autopsy, and concluded that they died by strangulation, performed the autopsy there at the site they were found. This is bizarre. How can you do a proper autopsy out in the field?

18. otto

otto Verified Expert

The Belize police wanted to cremate the body while Drew's brother was on the plane heading down there and the FBI stepped in to ensure that the body was intact when the brother arrived. That's a bit over the top, isn't it?

19. LayzeeDayzee

Not that I think she did but to play devil's advocate, Scotty's Bar is an ex-pat bar and that night there was her farewell party before her return to Canada, as has been reported in MSM...so I'd think she likely knew everyone there and wouldn't have taken the same safety precautions had it been a bar more geared to non ex-pats, etc

It's also possible the statement was made that she/they had lot of money on them/in their possession at the bar, because when their bodies were found they still had a large amount of money on them (if robbery hadn't been the motive, which I don't believe it was)

20. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Great find, thanks Hazel!
    Did i hear correctly something about the tenant flying a plane to look around at what was going on, approx. @ 14: 53?