Best book?

thefragile7393

Verified - Registered Psychiatric Nurse
Reaction score
I looked at the links and resources thread and my question is, which of the books is the most balanced in your opinion? I don't want something sensational (although I'm sure it's almost impossible with this case!) but I want to read a book or books that has it's facts down pat, that has the most documentation and inside info that perhaps the general public wasn't privy to at the time. I'd like one that tries to remain neutral and leads the reader to draw their own conclusions based on evidence. A book or books from very reliable writers, maybe ones who had first-hand experience with the case. Do any of those books on the list fit at least some of that criteria?

I think Perfect Murder Perfect Town is a very good resource. Theres a lot of stuff in there that i Didn't know about. Steve Thomas' book entitled Jonbenet is also very helpful and give you a look at the difficulties the police faced in this case. And of course, if you want the Ramsey's take on the whole thing... Death of Innocence (bs imo...).

I'd suggest reading Steve Thomas' book and renting the DVD of Perfect Murder, Perfect Town.

Perfect murder,perfect town.

It's like reading the dossier of the case,imo.

Thank you for the replies, I will definitely check out the books and the DVD mentioned. I knwo to be objective I should read the Ramsey's book.....I'm just afraid I would find it difficult to swallow...which is why I'll check out the books above. A 3rd party book would probably be more closer to reality.

thefragile7393,

I agree with DeeDee249, Steve Thomas' book is likely the best book to read first since it is relatively objective, and the timeline is constant. Perfect Murder Perfect Town is dated now and contains lots of Ramsey misinformation, and even some of the authors own spin, also the book is not linear, the timeline jumps back and forth, which can be confusing, so read it after Steve Thomas' book.

Alright, I will definitely keep that in mind!

Alright, I will definitely keep that in mind!

I have to recommend Steve Thomas book JonBenet. I think Perfect Murder Perfect town is ok but the author takes some license. Nothing like DOI however. If you read that one remember their goal was to promote their innocence. Id consider that a monumental task if one is to take the facts of this case into consideration. JMHO

thefragile7393,

I agree with DeeDee249, Steve Thomas' book is likely the best book to read first since it is relatively objective, and the timeline is constant. Perfect Murder Perfect Town is dated now and contains lots of Ramsey misinformation, and even some of the authors own spin, also the book is not linear, the timeline jumps back and forth, which can be confusing, so read it after Steve Thomas' book.

I agree,Schiller didn't do a good job of organizing the information.I had a difficult time reading it.On that note,DOI is somewhat the same,although not quite as poorly organized.

Id consider that a monumental task if one is to take the facts of this case into consideration. JMHO
Indeed....that's why I was hoping those who are immersed in this case to be able to help me separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm looking forward for these books to finally come from the library and I'm thankful for your help in all this!

thefragile7393,

Good advice UKGuy to read PMPT after Steve Thomas' book.
I too think that Steve Thomas' book is the best on the case. Not only does it contain all the essential case info, it also gives excellent insights into what went on behind the scenes in that investigation. It lives up to its title and and indeed does take the reader inside the Ramsey investigation. A must-read!

As for Perfect Murder Perfect Town - it is also an important book, but the lack of linearity, as you have pointed out, is a flaw.

Jmpo, but when reading PMPT, I always had the nagging feeling that the author kept his book deliberately 'open' not so much for reasons of objectivity, but for egoistic reasons: so that he could later jump on an IDI bandwagon should someone be arrested.
And, hardly surprising, shortly after the Karr arrest, Schiller suddenly seemed to have morphed into an IDI ...

Good advice UKGuy to read PMPT after Steve Thomas' book.
I too think that Steve Thomas' book is the best on the case. Not only does it contain all the essential case info, it also gives excellent insights into what went on behind the scenes in that investigation. It lives up to its title and and indeed does take the reader inside the Ramsey investigation. A must-read!

As for Perfect Murder Perfect Town - it is also an important book, but the lack of linearity, as you have pointed out, is a flaw.

Jmpo, but I was reading PMPT, I always had the nagging feeling that the author kept his book deliberately 'open' not so much for reasons of objectivity, but for egoistic reasons: so that he could later jump on an IDI bandwagon should someone be arrested.
And, hardly surprising, shortly after the Karr arrest, Schiller suddenly seemed to have morphed into an IDI ...

I thought the very same thing!! I wonder if the morphed back or if he is learning to keep his pie hole shut till something a little more promisong than Tracey garbage surfaces.

First read PMPT - then read Steve's - and then read the one the Ramseys somehow put together without laughing......

Steve's is the Number One for just the facts!

nd then read the one the Ramseys somehow put together without laughing......
ain't that the truth !! keep in mind that the R's book came out (about a month? someone correct me if I'm wrong) before ST's book did...and not knowing what bomb was going to drop,they tried to cover all bases before the fact...JR as well.what does that tell you about his involvement? Because he was fully expecting the bomb to drop on himself as well....yet,it didn't.Thomas laid it all on Patsy instead.And there was a reason for that,IMO...and it wasn't because JR wasn't involved in the cover-up before the fact.It was exactly the opposite reason,IMO.

right off the top of my head-Patsy tried to account for anything overheard in the Stine's room they were staying in,in case it had been bugged,which was something they were apparently worried about.

JR tries to account for: the broken basement window,his prints being on the walk-in fridge,his underwear fibers near JB's bed and in the hallway (where he said he was reading the RN),his prints on the binoculars/night vision goggles,and the missing Christmas morning video.he also makes a point of saying JB couldn't read yet.

there are other things as well,that's just right off the top of my head.

i only read PMPT but i definitely wanna order ST's book.....

i really don't wanna read DOI.....
you guys who read it,tell me,is it worth reading it?any special reasons why i should?
i don't wanna become more annoyed than i already am,that's why i stay away from it.....

ain't that the truth !! keep in mind that the R's book came out (about a month? someone correct me if I'm wrong) before ST's book did...and not knowing what bomb was going to drop,they tried to cover all bases before the fact...JR as well.what does that tell you about his involvement? Because he was fully expecting the bomb to drop on himself as well....yet,it didn't.Thomas laid it all on Patsy instead.And there was a reason for that,IMO...and it wasn't because JR wasn't involved in the cover-up before the fact.It was exactly the opposite reason,IMO.
What do you think was the reason for Steve Thomas to lay it all on Patsy?

i only read PMPT but i definitely wanna order ST's book.....

i really don't wanna read DOI.....
you guys who read it,tell me,is it worth reading it?any special reasons why i should?
i don't wanna become more annoyed than i already am,that's why i stay away from it.....

IMO it's worth reading,because the more ppl talk,the more they reveal themselves,and,as Trixie said...Patsy just couldn't stop putting her foot in her mouth ! It reminds me of Jeffrey MacDonald...that's one of the reasons they knew he was guilty...he just kept on talking and talking,and they were able to deduce what happened from his own words.
But yes,it's annoying,I can see why some ppl wouldn't care to read it.

Do you think Steve Thomas knew John was also involved in the staging of the scene?
I don't see how he could *not have known it...hearing JR on the 911 tape,knowing BR was sent back to bed and then whisked off to the White's,the phone records that were erased...JR's passive behavior when JB was 'missing'..he also completely left out the size 12 underwear in his scenario of Patsy staging the scene...I think that's significant,as far as evidence is concerned.(and, as we all know,JR's fiber evidence did turn up there later).I also don't see how he could have kept questioning Merrick,when JR kept pointing him out,and then looking at the RN,and not have known that JR had put his .02 worth into it.(that's JMO).
That said..I do think he put a lot of integrity into his investigation,and I'm not trying to undermine him at all..I just think he had his reasons for not revealing that he knew JR was involved before the fact.And good ones at that !!

thefragile7393,

I haven't read Steve Thomas' book, I'll have to get it. I did read PMPT and I totally agree. I always read all of my books at least twice and by the second reading, I was thinking, "how in the world did I even get through this the first time" and never did finish it the second time. It was very confusing and although some of the background BS was sort of important, there really wasn't much about the crime itself really. I wanted pictures and reports, etc. I was bored.

I don't see how he could *not have known it...hearing JR on the 911 tape,knowing BR was sent back to bed and then whisked off to the White's,the phone records that were erased...JR's passive behavior when JB was 'missing'..he also completely left out the size 12 underwear in his scenario of Patsy staging the scene...I think that's significant,as far as evidence is concerned.(and, as we all know,JR's fiber evidence did turn up there later).I also don't see how he could have kept questioning Merrick,when JR kept pointing him out,and then looking at the RN,and not have known that JR had put his .02 worth into it.(that's JMO).
That said..I do think he put a lot of integrity into his investigation,and I'm not trying to undermine him at all..I just think he had his reasons for not revealing that he knew JR was involved before the fact.And good ones at that !!
What good reasons did Steve Thomas have not to reveal John's involvement?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back