Big Earthquake *merged threads*

My daughter who lives right on the epicenter by Alum Rock just called me that they got shook up pretty good again at around 4:00 p.m. not long ago and we went to usgs and it was a 3.7. Aftershock I guess.

My hubby was at work when the quake hit. My son and I were in the car, apparently, when it hit, so we didn't feel a thing (we're in the East Bay Area). Hubby works in Menlo Park and he said they felt it, BIG TIME. He estimated it rocked and rolled for approximately 20 seconds...LONG time for a quake...that length of time feels like an eternity.

We lived in Los Angeles some years back and I experienced a number of quakes out there...one was approximately 6.2. Scary stuff...

I'm just glad no one was injured and there was very little, if any, damage with this one...:)

I was in the 71' Sylmar quake when I was a kid. Still to this day I freeze when I hear the slightest little tinkling of glass waiting for the BAM BAM BAM! to hit. And I catch myself watching a glass off water to see if it ripples. I've been in Utah since 1986 and when I tell people here about earthquake weather, they think I'm nuts!

I was in the 71' Sylmar quake when I was a kid. Still to this day I freeze when I hear the slightest little tinkling of glass waiting for the BAM BAM BAM! to hit. And I catch myself watching a glass off water to see if it ripples. I've been in Utah since 1986 and when I tell people here about earthquake weather, they think I'm nuts!

I know what you mean SuziQ. (cute name)
I live quite near to where the quake was last night and felt it quite strongly. For a moment I thought it was going to get really BIG. Anyway, just a while ago, my husband and I heard a plane go over, but for a second we thought it was the rumble of another quake coming.

I remember after the 7.1 quake we had here in this area in 1989, for a long time just hearing a truck go by our reactions were hair trigger thinking it was a quake. It took a long time to quit being so apprehensive.

You're right on about people who haven't experienced this just can't understand the feeling until they experience it themselves.

Stay safe all you Bay Area folks :)

5.6 would still get my butt moving!!! Might not cause damage, but it can scare the heck out of ya!!

It did me! My husband said it was nothing, but the whole house moved from left to right and back again, and the ceiling fan was shaking and you could hear a loud rumble. I bolted with my daughter for the nearest doorway.

I was in the 71' Sylmar quake when I was a kid.

So was I! That's why I bolt at the slightest tremble of an earthquake. I was in Granada Hills at the time and we got hit hard!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back