MISTRIAL Bill Cosby -- Charged W/Aggravated Sexual Assault/Other Rape Allegations #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12 2017, 8:44 am ET

It’s Show Time for Bill Cosby’s Defense Team at Sexual Assault Trial

by Tracy Connor and Hannah Rappleye

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — Bill Cosby's wife Camille made her first appearance at his sexual assault trial on Monday as the defense prepared to put on its case.

The trial resumes with a big question mark hanging over it: What do Cosby's lawyers have planned to counter a prosecution case that wrapped up with few missteps?

Cosby's spokesman has suggested that the comedian might testify when the case enters its second week, but legal experts say that's highly doubtful given the risk that he could doom himself with his own words...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bi...time-bill-cosby-s-defense-team-sexual-n770816

RBBM
Am following this in a different continent and time zone but have to ask you guys in USA what are the speculations of Cosby not testifying? How are the jury likely to view this?
The only comparisons I have are imo - if the accused doesn't respond in their own defence..... why not ??? I always believe the innocent have a great defence as they are innocent FGS. Am I misguided? TIA.

Having Cosby on the stand could easily backfire. If you agree to testify you agree to be cross-examined... Does he even remember all the details anymore after such a long time? It might be difficult to think quickly enough to give convincing and sympathetic answers. After seeing the menacing museum interview in which he looked guilty as all hell I am not surprised they didn't call Cosby as a witness but I didn't expect them to only call one.

It isn't sexist whatsoever. The truth can be brutal sometimes, but it is what it is.

There have been in depth studies done on women jurors concerning rape/assault cases that show they tend to be much harsher on the female victim/s than the accused perpetrator/s

I am glad there are only five women on this case. I just hope none of them hang the case and refuse to vote guilty. It would be a terrible injustice since this man has been a serial predator for decades now though never punished for his evil deeds.

IMO

Hi, thanks for your post.

That's not what I was referring to! And that is good.

And I agreed with you and am content with the jury selection after further discussing in the thread.

I think Cosby will beat the case because he was a rich old guy that settled out of court and is only here due to a zealous D.A that wanted the attention before the statue of limitations was about to run out. Jmo.

I truly hope and pray you are wrong my friend.

But I have seen it happen before when a celebrity is involved so I wouldn't begin to say he will be convicted.

It will be such a terrible injustice for this predator to never be held accountable for his serial rapes and assaults against scores of women. I do understand why so many of these victims felt greatly intimidated and did not tell for years. They all knew this powerful man could ruin their lives and he would have. Only 10% of sexual assaults and rapes are ever reported by females. It is even much lower than 10% when it comes to males who have been sexually assaulted and raped. They are the least likely to ever report about the violent acts that have happened to them.

I think he buffaloed the last Prosecutor. He should have taken him to trial back when she first filed her claim with law enforcement. It shows some celebrities are treated far differently than some average Joe even by Prosecutors.

A guilty verdict is for one victim only but if he is convicted all of the other victims will know he has finally been held accountable for his depraved and wicked acts.

IMO

Having Cosby on the stand could easily backfire. If you agree to testify you agree to be cross-examined... Does he even remember all the details anymore after such a long time? It might be difficult to think quickly enough to give convincing and sympathetic answers. After seeing the menacing museum interview in which he looked guilty as all hell I am not surprised they didn't call Cosby as a witness but I didn't expect them to only call one.

I knew they would not call him. If he took the stand then everything would come out about all of the other victims. Things that the Judge had already ruled inadmissible would now become admissible. He would no longer be able to hide his previous rapes and assaults. All the state would have to do is ask him if he had ever been accused of sexual assaults/rapes before? So he would have to answer truthfully or lie by denying those claims leaving it open for the state to refute his lie by bringing in multiple witnesses in rebuttal.

That is why most defendants do not take the stand. Once they do it is a whole different playing field for the state to drive a huge Mack truck through. He no longer has a right to protect himself from incrimination once he becomes a witness in his own case.

Also the appeal process if he is convicted becomes much harder to win since the courts will know the defendant took the stand in his own behalf.

Nice to 'see' you Donjeta!:)

Jun 12 2017, 10:48 am ET

Bill Cosby Trial: Comedian Didn’t Testify at Trial, Defense Rests After One Witness

by Hannah Rappleye and Tracy Connor

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — Bill Cosby’s wife, Camille, made her first appearance at her husband’s sexual assault trial on Monday, taking a seat in the courtroom as the defense rested its case after calling a single witness.

Both sides are expected to give closing arguments Monday afternoon, and the jury could begin deliberations later in the day or on Tuesday...
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bi...an-didn-t-testify-trial-defense-rests-n770831

The judge asked Cosby if he agreed with the defense decision not to present character witnesses or call him to the stand.

This part shows me they didnt have any character witnesses to testify in his behalf. Only his wife. I feel she knew all about these assaults and turned a blind eye. Iirc one of the victims said Mrs. Cosby was in the home and she left her alone with her husband when he assaulted her.

IMO

The judge asked Cosby if he agreed with the defense decision not to present character witnesses or call him to the stand.

This part shows me they didnt have any character witnesses to testify in his behalf. Only his wife. I feel she knew all about these assaults and turned a blind eye. Iirc one of the victims said Mrs. Cosby was in the home and she left her alone with her husband when he assaulted her.

IMO

Shades of Sandusky.

http://pagesix.com/2017/06/12/bill-cosbys-lawyer-practically-gives-up-during-closing-arguments/
NORRISTOWN, Pa. — A lawyer for Bill Cosby all but threw in the towel Monday as he delivered lengthy, rambling closing arguments in the comedian’s sex assault trial.
“I pray to God you’ll do your job better than I did mine,” Brian McMonagle thundered to the panel of seven men and five women.
“If during the course of this trial I have said or done anything that might have offended one of you, hold it against me, not him. Me — not him. I wear my emotions on my sleeve and that’s not good for a lawyer.”

JMO. I doubt the lawyer falling on his sword will impress the jurors. More likely, it's revealed how thin BC's case really is.

All those armies of expensive lawyers and they got nuttin'?

Difficult to argue their client's own words from the unsealed testimony .

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Also, if Cosby's attorneys brought in good character witnesses to testify in his behalf it would allow the state to bring in their own bad character witnesses.

I hope this victim sees justice happen in this case.

IMO

The jury at Bill Cosby's trial began deliberating Monday over whether he drugged and molested a woman more than a decade ago in a case that has already helped demolish the 79-year-old comedian's good-guy image.

A conviction could send Cosby to prison for the rest of his life, completing the stunning late-life downfall of one of the most beloved stars in all of show business.

The fast-moving case went to the jury of seven men and five women on Day 6 of the trial after closing arguments painted different pictures of what happened between Cosby and Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia estate.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...osby-sexual-assault-trial-20170612-story.html

Remember the lenient sentence that Martha Stewart got? Short sentence in a dorm room type setting? I know it was for a totally different crime, but that is what I see BC getting....guilty, no prison time, but a sentence like MS. Of course I can see BC spending it in the 'clinic' because he has arthritis, has a hard time walking, is blind and needs help....hence a short sentence

Remember the lenient sentence that Martha Stewart got? Short sentence in a dorm room type setting? I know it was for a totally different crime, but that is what I see BC getting....guilty, no prison time, but a sentence like MS. Of course I can see BC spending it in the 'clinic' because he has arthritis, has a hard time walking, is blind and needs help....hence a short sentence

I certainly hope not. I have seen defendants in their late 70s or 80s with one in a wheelchair, and they did not get special treatment because of their age or health issues.

If he is convicted he needs to get the same sentence any other person would receive for the same conviction

I certainly hope not. I have seen defendants in their late 70s or 80s with one in a wheelchair, and they did not get special treatment because of their age or health issues.

If he is convicted he needs to get the same sentence any other person would receive for the same conviction

I agree. I feel like Cosby thinks and has always thought he is invincible. I also don't believe he thinks he did anything wrong which to me makes him even worse of a human. I hope he gets what he deserves...Life in Prison :jail:

All those armies of expensive lawyers and they got nuttin'?

Oh his lawyers got plenty of what he cares about...........HIS MONEY! :D

And even a first year newbie lawyer could have done as much as this team did for him.

With him having to make apologies to the jurors about his conduct he is certain he insulted them in someway. I imagine it was because all he did was blame the victim and yelled, liar, liar!

If he is not convicted it wont be because of his great lawyers and it will sadly be another case where a celebrity was able to woo the jurors due to his stardom.

Jurors aren't required to know nothing about any case they sit in judgment on, but they must say they can set outside noise aside, and judge the evidence entered from the witness stand only.

They must know about all of the other countless accusations though, and if they don't, then they have been living in a cave somewhere.

I just hope it isn't a hung jury because his lawyers will try to stall a retrial down to a slow turtle crawl.

IMO

I agree. I feel like Cosby thinks and has always thought he is invincible. I also don't believe he thinks he did anything wrong which to me makes him even worse of a human. I hope he gets what he deserves...Life in Prison :jail:

Agree.

You are totally correct. He believes he was entitled to do these depraved things. I read an article today where he said he will be glad when the trial is over so he can get back to work doing comedy. He is assured he is going to be found NG.

JMO
He basically has admitted to using a date rape drug and drugging woman to have sex with them.

I see this very clearly and will be disappointed if the jury does not convict him of the charges. Those were powerful drugs he used back then and it was not just to help them "relax" as he says.

A quallude is basically a major sleeping pill or tranquilizer and he knew it.

Nowadays people have Rupies or Rohypnol and GHB and other date rape drugs. Back then he used what was available to him even before date rape drugs become more in the news.

Im sickened by him now and I hope the jury wipes the smirk off his face.
Its sad because I did respect his acting a long time ago and enjoyed many of his shows. Who would have thought that the real person was this evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77