Billie Dunn may sue Body Language Individual

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what Wikipedia has to say about it with respect to US law:

Defamation per seThe four (4) categories of slander that are actionable per se are (i) accusing someone of a crime; (ii) alleging that someone has a foul or loathsome disease; (iii) adversely reflecting on a person’s fitness to conduct their business or trade; and (iv) imputing serious sexual misconduct. Here again, the plaintiff need only prove that someone had published the statement to any third party. No proof of special damages is required.

He stated what he thought, in the example posted on the thread. He is allowed to say what he thinks. Plus being as everyone else in the world is also posting what they think .i.e exchanging ideas on a news topic I think he would be entitled under 1st amendment to say what he thinks. She was on TV which changes things a bit for her.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech[/ame]

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/libel_and_slander/defamation_character.htm

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/libel_and_slander/libel.htm

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/libel_and_slander/slander.htm

The slander charge would only appy to what he said outloud on the BTH ,and in that case he might be guilty of slander. Unless there is some other thing mini statue in the law that would account for "published" meaning on air.Then it could be more.

I dont not think she has a chance in a lawsuit.

I haven't posted in awhile just because you guys are doing an awesome job without my :twocents:. I do read still though. It's pretty quiet here. Darn I want Hailey home.

Isn't PH the dude Billie called a "dumb azz" and hung up on during a BTH interview? Maybe he should sue her. :floorlaugh: I would imagine her lawyer is trying to come up with way of making money so Billie can pay him. If she's successful in this case against PH, her lawyer can skim his share right off the top (right down to the bottom).

Does anyone know if Billie is still living at her mother's house? That should help her with the bills. And SA can visit her there as there is no "no trespassing order" over there.

Hailey needs to be found so those who love her can have some closure. Where are you sweet beautiful Hailey?:angel:

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it with respect to US law:

Defamation per seThe four (4) categories of slander that are actionable per se are (i) accusing someone of a crime; (ii) alleging that someone has a foul or loathsome disease; (iii) adversely reflecting on a person’s fitness to conduct their business or trade; and (iv) imputing serious sexual misconduct. Here again, the plaintiff need only prove that someone had published the statement to any third party. No proof of special damages is required.
"He's absolutely horrible at what he does and he's no good at his job, because everything he's ever said has been a lie," Dunn said.

Dunn's lawyer, John Young, called Hyatt's words outlandish.

"(He said things) that only a fool would say, but certainly things that may, if I have my way, land this fellow in a court in Mitchell County, Texas," Young said.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=369787
So does what Young and Billie said about Hyatt qualify as libel and slander?

I listened to the BTH program on which both Billie and Hyatt appeared again last night. I understand why Billie hates him so much. As we've all said, there has been no investigative journalism in this case, just softball lobs. Billie did not like the questions she was asked that night.

Have to admit that I hope she does sue. I figured someone would eventually, long overdue imo

Have to admit that I hope she does sue. I figured someone would eventually, long overdue imo
Billie Dunn refuses to cooperate with LE, but has time to sue someone? Pathetic. Billie Dunn knows more than she is letting on.

She should be more concerned with finding her daughter, instead of suing bloggers.

She needs to cooperate, stop hanging around Shawn Adkins, etc and tell all she knows.

Why does the mother of a missing child need an attorney, unless they are guilty, hiding something, and are afraid LE is all over their butt?

Why? Do think that bloggers should have the right to just make up stuff to draw the crowds in?

I don't think bloggers (or anyone) should make stuff up.

It's one thing to discuss the facts & to offer an opinion regarding a person's actions & statements. It's a whole 'nother thing to throw out a wild theory with no evidence to support that theory.

Having said that, I agree with Levi. IMO, BD has much more important issues to concern herself with right now than threatening to sue a blogger.

Hailey has been missing for almost 5 months. How is suing a blogger going to help bring Hailey home or help LE discover who's responsible for her disappearance & possible demise? Not to mention the fact that BD is facing criminal charges. Shouldn't her attorney be concentrating on defending his client against these current criminal charges, especially since BD's possible future reinstatement as a nurse depends upon clearing her name of illegal drug possession (as well as the other charges)?

In the early days of Hailey's disappearance, BD was threatening to sue for slander & libel. Has she been sitting back, waiting to pounce on the first potentially lucrative target these past 5 months?

Perhaps she should spend more time talking to LE and less time scouring the blogs looking for someone to sue.

I don't think bloggers (or anyone) should make stuff up.

It's one thing to discuss the facts & to offer an opinion regarding a person's actions & statements. It's a whole 'nother thing to throw out a wild theory with no evidence to support that theory.

Having said that, I agree with Levi. IMO, BD has much more important issues to concern herself with right now than threatening to sue a blogger.

Hailey has been missing for almost 5 months. How is suing a blogger going to help bring Hailey home or help LE discover who's responsible for her disappearance & possible demise? Not to mention the fact that BD is facing criminal charges. Shouldn't her attorney be concentrating on defending his client against these current criminal charges, especially since BD's possible future reinstatement as a nurse depends upon clearing her name of illegal drug possession (as well as the other charges)?

In the early days of Hailey's disappearance, BD was threatening to sue for slander & libel. Has she been sitting back, waiting to pounce on the first potentially lucrative target these past 5 months?

Perhaps she should spend more time talking to LE and less time scouring the blogs looking for someone to sue.
Well we are seeing how self obsessed Billie Dunn is... Hailey is not her sole focus.

Why? Do think that bloggers should have the right to just make up stuff to draw the crowds in?
I don't think PH just makes stuff up. He based his opinion on Billie's actions, the theory of Hailey's grandmother when she theorized Shawn Adkins sexually abused Hailey, and even statements made by Shawn Adkins.

Shawn Adkins point blank said the focus of the investigation should be on himself and Billie Dunn.

I don't think PH just makes stuff up. He based his opinion on Billie's actions, the theory of Hailey's grandmother when she theorized Shawn Adkins sexually abused Hailey, and even statements made by Shawn Adkins.

Shawn Adkins point blank said the focus of the investigation should be on himself and Billie Dunn.

Oh ya, he was just making stuff up. That is what drawing a wild conclusion from someone else's speculation is called. The simple fact is that there is nothing to even remotely support that. I don't put much stock in the grandmother because she didn't tell her son about the suspicions at the time, which means that her suspicions were formed after HD was gone, in other words whatever happened was regarded as pretty minor at the time. You also need to keep in mind that it is clear that she never cared SA and regarded him as an interloper, and that is going to greatly color her "speculations".

SA was asked who the police should be looking at, and he said the family. That would not have been meant as a confession, but rather that he thought that that was where LE look first. Remember, this was a guy who was interested in true crime stories (along with BD), so of course he would think that in such a case you allways look at the family first, especially if he took the question as asking his opinion on how to conduct an investigation. His initial behaviour is consistent with him believing that she was off with some family member, probably on the other side of the family. If he was "confessing" as you seem to be suggesting, why would he suddenly stop? That doesn't make sense. It seems more probable that he was telling LE how they should be conducting their investigation and then suddenly realized that they were focussing on him and seeing his opinion as the start of a confession, which it was not. And it would appear that LE have never moved past that.

There is also an undercurrent of drug issues with many of the characters in this story. In my opinion much of the "deceptiveness" observed in the polygraphs possibly had more to do with a reluctance to talk about activities associated with that side of their lives with LE than because of some guilt associated with HD. And then when they do talk, LE doesn't believe them because of the initial mistrust.

Oh ya, he was just making stuff up. That is what drawing a wild conclusion from someone else's speculation is called. The simple fact is that there is nothing to even remotely support that. I don't put much stock in the grandmother because she didn't tell her son about the suspicions at the time, which means that her suspicions were formed after HD was gone, in other words whatever happened was regarded as pretty minor at the time. You also need to keep in mind that it is clear that she never cared SA and regarded him as an interloper, and that is going to greatly color her "speculations".

SA was asked who the police should be looking at, and he said the family. That would not have been meant as a confession, but rather that he thought that that was where LE look first. Remember, this was a guy who was interested in true crime stories (along with BD), so of course he would think that in such a case you allways look at the family first, especially if he took the question as asking his opinion on how to conduct an investigation. His initial behaviour is consistent with him believing that she was off with some family member, probably on the other side of the family. If he was "confessing" as you seem to be suggesting, why would he suddenly stop? That doesn't make sense. It seems more probable that he was telling LE how they should be conducting their investigation and then suddenly realized that they were focussing on him and seeing his opinion as the start of a confession, which it was not. And it would appear that LE have never moved past that.

There is also an undercurrent of drug issues with many of the characters in this story. In my opinion much of the "deceptiveness" observed in the polygraphs possibly had more to do with a reluctance to talk about activities associated with that side of their lives with LE than because of some guilt associated with HD. And then when they do talk, LE doesn't believe them because of the initial mistrust.

BBM - Please provide the link for this statement. I read that Shawn Adkins stated to LE that they should look at Him (Shawn Adkins) and Billie Jean Dunn, not that LE should look at "the Family". It is also my understanding that it is only Billie Jean Dunn and Shawn Adkins that have failed at taking a polygraph(s).
I don't like the way people talk gossip and spread rumors. This forum is seen by alot of people as such a place, even tho those who frequent here, do not find it as such. It is not easy to sue for slander, and at this point in Billie's life, her focus should be on her daughter and nothing else should matter. It is sad to see her in the news at all, sadder still to see that finding her daughter is not a priority. JMO

Billie and her hired gun are blowing a lot of hot air. She's not going to file suit.

I don't always agree with PH and his conclusions (criticizing DD for not searching, for example). However, I don't see any chance of Billie putting herself through the discovery process. Can you just imagine the questions she'd be required to answer?

I have agree with you on the statements SA made about where they should look.

I also think PH should not be saying the things he has said. I still dont think BD can sue him.

Your thoughts on initial distrust I totally agree with.

I wanted to point out when SA was giving the interveiw on TV the smirk on the couch. IMO it didnt look like a guilty Drew Peterson smirk to me.

It looked like to me he thought she would just show up , like it wasnt a big deal. Like he was in awe of the attention this was getting and not really thinking anything awful had happened. I pictured his attitude at the LE office that day was much the same way. They were asking questions and he was offering up answers of how he thought this case was going to go.

BBM

Connie Jones is on record as saying she was concerned about the lurking Hailey told her about (in regards to Shawn at night) and she did indeed tell Clint. She said that she didn't remember his response; not that she never told him.

REFERENCE: Jan 13 2011 - Nancy Grace
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/13/ng.01.html

JONES: That she was afraid of him walking around at night. She said that he`d go in the bathroom and he`d use Billie`s phone and talk to people and then come out and just stand by her door. She said he -- she was just afraid of him. At this time, she was only, like, 11.

GRACE: Did she tell you anything other than him standing by her bedroom door at night?

JONES: No. She said he never tried any advances toward her or anything and...

GRACE: Did you ask her?

JONES: Yes, ma`am. I asked her a lot if he ever tried anything to her. And I told her, I said, If he ever tries anything, you tell your mom and your dad. I said, Don`t -- I said, He can`t -- he`s not going to get away with it, Hailey, if he ever touches you in any way.

GRACE: And what would she say? When you would tell her that, what would she say?

JONES: She said that she would and everything. And the last couple of months, I hadn`t seen her very much because her dad moved over to Colorado City. And she usually spends the night, sometimes the weekend with me, and I hadn`t seen her that much. But she always called me, almost every day.

GRACE: Have you shared your theory with your son, Hailey`s father?

JONES: Yes, I have. I told him that she was afraid of him.

GRACE: What did he say?

JONES: I don`t remember what he said. I know he was concerned, but I don`t really remember what he said. There were times he would talk to Billie, they would get into an argument. So I guess they just quit talking to each other.

PH is statement analysis, not body language-- lmbo! That's some lawyer you got there, Billie. Sheesh. mo

He's the one that offered up the information on what they used the ATM money for...and prolly what kind and where they got the drugs. Not that I fully believe that the money was used for drugs. He was too anxious, imo, to offer up something that was an illegal activity also....unless he meant a prescription drug purchase. Maybe a lesser evil?

The polys respond to the bodies reactions after a certain question is asked...the poly speculated deceptions when he was answering questions re: Hailey. iirc. LE's top priority then was not on anyone's drug use in particular, but getting to the facts/timeline of HD's disappearance and finding her. CCPD has a good idea who's toking and poppin' in that town, imo.

He's the one that offered up the information on what they used the ATM money for...and prolly what kind and where they got the drugs. Not that I fully believe that the money was used for drugs. He was too anxious, imo, to offer up something that was an illegal activity also....unless he meant a prescription drug purchase. Maybe a lesser evil?

The polys respond to the bodies reactions after a certain question is asked...the poly speculated deceptions when he was answering questions re: Hailey. iirc. LE's top priority then was not on anyone's drug use in particular, but getting to the facts/timeline of HD's disappearance and finding her. CCPD has a good idea who's toking and poppin' in that town, imo.

For me, failing the Poly's are not the biggest indicator of guilt. It's more about them consuming drugs before going in to take it. I mean really, who would do that? I firmly believe that was an intentional effort to circumvent the test results, moo. If they were innocent why would they do something like that?
Just stamp a big G on your forehead and get it over with already.

For me, failing the Poly's are not the biggest indicator of guilt. It's more about them consuming drugs before going in to take it. I mean really, who would do that? I firmly believe that was an intentional effort to circumvent the test results, moo. If they were innocent why would they do something like that?
Just stamp a big G on your forehead and get it over with already.

Drug addicts would do that guilty or not. It is what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74