Blood Moon set as lunar eclipse nears early Wednesday

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Blood moon returns early Wednesday, and this time it's bigger

(CNN) -- Blood moon, Act II, opens soon in the heavens near you. And it will be bigger than Act I.

If you live in the western half of the United States, you'll have a front-row seat on a lunar eclipse that will turn the moon a burnt reddish orange for about an hour Wednesday, creating the second blood moon in relatively short succession.

The full eclipse will start at 6:25 a.m. ET [on 08 October], NASA says, and last until 7:24 a.m. ET.

Because it happens right after the perigee, the closest point to Earth in the moon's orbit, this blood moon will be nearly the size of a super moon -- appearing 5.3% larger than the previous blood moon on April 15.
---

more at the links

Viewing Guide: Watch Blood Moon During Total Lunar Eclipse on Wednesday (National Geographic)

About six and a half hours now, here in ET. (And cloudy where I am.)

Storms rolling here, but supposed to clear out in a couple of hours.

Much to my surprise, we actually saw the "blood moon" quite clearly in the dark, desert sky!

Seems like we West Coasters always get these phenomena during daylight hours or when the marine layer is thick, etc. But this time "we" nailed it!

[video=youtu;cLsvAxrdQeQ]http://youtu.be/cLsvAxrdQeQ[/video]

Here in East Tennessee, on the very western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, it is always too cloudy for me to see any of these phenomenon! Must be those darn Smoky Mountains!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back