Body of 7 year old Girl from India found near AZ-Mexico Border, June 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Gardener1850, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

Body of 7-year-old dropped off by smugglers near Arizona-Mexico border

June 13, 2019

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities say the body of a child believed to be a 7-year-old girl from India has been found near the Arizona-Mexico border.

They say the body was discovered Wednesday morning by Border Patrol agents about 17 miles (27 kilometers) west of Lukeville.

The girl reportedly had been traveling with four other people who were dropped near the international boundary by smugglers.

Read More: Body of 7-year-old dropped off by smugglers near Arizona-Mexico border

[...]
    Agents encountered two women from India who said they had entered the United States and become separated from a woman and two children hours earlier, according to a news release from the Border Patrol’s Tucson Sector. The agents encountered the women west of Lukeville, a border town about 150 miles southwest of Tucson.

Agents took the two women into custody and searched remote terrain north of the border. They found the girl’s body within hours about one mile north of the border. The high temperature Wednesday was 108 degrees, according to the news release.

[...]

Late Wednesday night, agents found footprints indicating the remaining members of the group crossed back into Mexico, according to the news release.

U.S. and Mexican authorities continue to search the area for anyone involved in the crossing.

A highway in Mexico runs parallel to the border in the area where the girl’s body was found about 17 miles west of Lukeville.

Smugglers reportedly ordered the group to cross the border in the area, which is “dangerous and austere,” according to the news release.

“Our sympathies are with this little girl and her family,” said Tucson Chief Patrol Agent Roy Villareal. “This is a senseless death driven by cartels who are profiting from putting lives at risk.”

Body of child believed to be from India found along Arizona-Mexico border

:mad::(

HayLouise, Elainera, dotr and 7 others like this.
  2. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

Yes:(

Jim_M and Gardener1850 like this.
  3. dyannaON

dyannaON Well-Known Member

I’m a bit scatterbrained right now.
    Toronto Raptors just won for the first time ever.
    Was this child smuggled from the country India too? How does that happen?
    Then they were being smuggled into Mexico or from Mexico to Arizona? Why did the others go back to Mexico. Colour me confused.

4. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

I’m all confused...

dotr, SugarQueen, Jim_M and 2 others like this.
  5. cuffem

cuffem Well-Known Member

The families of these children think they are doing them good by dragging them through miles of harsh conditions with little food and water, robbers and rapists along the way to get to the US.
    I deleted most of my post so not to start a political thing, if what I stated needs to be deleted I will ask a mod to delete my post.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    HayLouise, Gardener1850, dotr and 5 others like this.
  6. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Additionally, they are often blackmailed afterwards for more money...it’s a terrible deal all round, human smuggling.

This is so sad. :( They just wanted a better life I’m sure.

HayLouise, Jim_M, Minou and 9 others like this.
  7. Ozoner

Ozoner Well-Known Member

Maybe Mexico can implement the death penalty for human smugglers. The US could do it, too, but it would take a Constitutional Amendment, so it's unlikely to ever happen.

Jim_M and margarita25 like this.
  8. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

Wait what? The group entered the US, but walked across the border into Mexico???

How did they get to the border area from India?

We're missing pieces of this sad story.

HayLouise, Jim_M, margarita25 and 4 others like this.
  9. ClaireNC

ClaireNC Well-Known Member

Absolutely heartbreaking. Prayers for the family.

The story is confusing. My daughter has worked with migrant families in Tuscan. The people crossing the border are not just from Mexico and South America, people from other nations are lured to Mexico on the promise that they can cross into the US from there.

I found this podcast from RadioLab to be really informative on the topic of border crossings.
    Border Trilogy Part 1: Hole in the Fence | Radiolab | WNYC Studios

mgeni, Jim_M, Laughing and 5 others like this.
  10. chuppa74

chuppa74 Member

Interesting. Thanks for that link. I was wondering why someone from India would enter through Mexico.

Jim_M, ClaireNC, Laughing and 2 others like this.
  11. ms_x_to_the_m

ms_x_to_the_m Well-Known Member

The people that do this are looking for a better life. I don't want to get into the political aspect of this, however it's not like they do it lightly.
    I hope she rests in peace.
    People from all over the world travel to central and north America to cross the border to the united states.
    It does sound very fishy if they crossed the border into the USA then back to Mexico. The only reason I can think of, is that they got lost. or the contact they were supposed to meet never showed up. By crossing back into Mexico, they can try again.

mgeni, Jim_M, Ksprincess2 and 5 others like this.
  12. Gardener1850

There are people called "coyotes" and they smuggle people and drugs into the US for money. Those are probably the people who walked back into Mexico-- the smugglers. They will often drop their "clients" off at a dangerous place where they have to cross the desert in order to start a new life in the US. 1000's have died trying to cross the dessert. There are 100's of unidentified remains found every year of people who tried to cross the desert and didn't make it. It's so bad that there are groups of good Samaritans who go around and place jugs of water in the desert to try to help people survive the journey. Sometimes the more ethical smugglers will tell their people not to try to cross the desert but to wait near the border for border patrol to find them. There have been news documentaries in recent years showing people lined up waiting for border patrol. And then they will all be put on buses and sent to different detainment centers where they are given medical exams and food and water. The big controversy in the past few years has been that ICE/border patrol were separating children when they picked up big groups. One big issue is that if someone has no ID's and no paperwork they cannot easily tell if a child belongs to the people they are traveling with or if the child has been kidnapped and is being trafficked. There have been calls just in the past few months to do DNA tests but that is so expensive I think it will be a long time before they can do that. MOO.

That brings us to the issue of this 7 year old child from India and whether she was with her legal guardians or not. We don't know. It's possibly she was with her mom, but why would any mother leave her child's body in the desert after bringing her this far? I think most mothers would wait with the child for border patrol-- if she knew that was an option of course. I know many people from India who have immigrated to the US legally. I went to college with a lot of Indian people here on scholarships or exchange programs. I don't know if is more difficult to get a VISA from India today, but I can't imagine why someone from India would pay tens of thousands of dollars to come into the country illegally unless they are being trafficked or involved in trafficking drugs or people. MOO.

Here's an article about coyotes: https://www.univision.com/univision...ing-migrants-from-mexico-to-the-united-states

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    HayLouise, Jim_M, Ksprincess2 and 5 others like this.
  13. Gardener1850

After giving it some thought, I wonder if this girl in not actually from India but perhaps from someplace like Myanmar. There are nationalities that look similar ethnically as people from India but would be much more difficult to get into the US via a legal VISA. But once here they could either apply for asylum as a refugee who would be murdered if sent back or they could take on a fake ID of an Indian National. For years I have been reading about the plight of the Rohingya refugees from Myanmar streaming into Bangladesh and India:
    Rohingya Refugee Crisis
    Is refugee crisis 'textbook ethnic cleansing'?

mgeni, Jim_M, Ksprincess2 and 3 others like this.
  14. Gardener1850

Body of a 6-year-old girl from India is found in the Arizona desert

[...]

Border Patrol agents got the information on her movements from two women from India who told officials they'd been separated from a woman and two children traveling in their group hours earlier.

"Agents took the two women into custody and began searching the area north of the international border in remote terrain seven miles west of Quitobaquito Springs," the agency said in a statement. "Within hours, they discovered the little girl's remains."

Agents used helicopters to search for the people she'd been traveling with, and found footprints indicating they returned to Mexico.

"Our sympathies are with this little girl and her family," Tucson Chief Patrol Agent Roy Villareal said. "This is a senseless death driven by cartels who are profiting from putting lives at risk."

CBP said Friday that US Border Patrol agents had located "two missing Indian nationals" after they'd crossed the border back into the United States.
    "The mother and her 8-year-old daughter were transported to a local hospital for treatment for dehydration," CBP said.

The numbers of Indians crossing US borders has steadily risen in recent years. Last year, more than 9,000 people from India were detained at US borders nationwide -- a big increase from the prior year, when that number was about 3,100.
    A decade ago, in 2009, that number was 204.

Update: This story has been updated to give a more precise age for the girl. Pima County Chief Medical Examiner Gregory Hess said she was 6 years and 11 months old.

Body of a 6-year-old girl from India is found in the Arizona desert - CNN

Laughing, 2Hope4 and HayLouise like this.