Book: Media Tried, Justice Denied

The Darin involvement thing REALLY bothers me.

I can't imagine that Darlie and Darin sat down, planned the murder of their children and then executed it.

If Darlie did this, I don't think it was planned out; she basically blew a gasket over something and killed the kids. BUT I cannot belive that it happened right under Darin's nose and he was clueless.

AND THIS IS THE POINT WHERE I START TO DOUBT HER GUILT - so Darin comes downstairs and catches Darlie killing the kids and instead of ripping her apart by the limbs, he
1. helps her make up the intruder story
2. helps her clean up
3. lies to the cops, attorneys, everyone
4. maintains that she is innocent for almost 10 years.

I just can't get to that point w/ Darin.

( I feel like I am taling in circles again :doh: )

KatiesMom said:
The Darin involvement thing REALLY bothers me.

I can't imagine that Darlie and Darin sat down, planned the murder of their children and then executed it.

If Darlie did this, I don't think it was planned out; she basically blew a gasket over something and killed the kids. BUT I cannot belive that it happened right under Darin's nose and he was clueless.

AND THIS IS THE POINT WHERE I START TO DOUBT HER GUILT - so Darin comes downstairs and catches Darlie killing the kids and instead of ripping her apart by the limbs, he
1. helps her make up the intruder story
2. helps her clean up
3. lies to the cops, attorneys, everyone
4. maintains that she is innocent for almost 10 years.

I just can't get to that point w/ Darin.

( I feel like I am taling in circles again :doh: )
I see where you are coming from because this case drives us all crazy trying to fugure it out! I dont think that she blew up though at the kids over something and then butchered them.

What time did the murders happen? I thought i read that it was about 2:30 am, if that is true what could the boys have done that early in the morning to make her so mad, wouldnt they be sleeping? And wasnt it proven that one of the boys was asleep on his back? I am not arguing your point I am just trying to figure some of this on my own as well.

michelle said:
I see where you are coming from because this case drives us all crazy trying to fugure it out! I dont think that she blew up though at the kids over something and then butchered them.
I can. I really think there was a huge fight about money and I still tend to think something was going on with Darin and Darlie's little sister (maybe some flirting?) but I really have nothing to back it up. I know from my own personal experience that when your husband is "paying more attention to another female" and you're having a "discussion" with him about that female and it gets heated and the kids interrupt....well, let's just say I can see where she would lash out. Let me through this idea into the pot for stirring.........How do we know for a fact that they went to bed?? What time was the killings?

detectivewannabe said:
I can. I really think there was a huge fight about money and I still tend to think something was going on with Darin and Darlie's little sister (maybe some flirting?) but I really have nothing to back it up. I know from my own personal experience that when your husband is "paying more attention to another female" and you're having a "discussion" with him about that female and it gets heated and the kids interrupt....well, let's just say I can see where she would lash out. Let me through this idea into the pot for stirring.........How do we know for a fact that they went to bed?? What time was the killings?
I am still looking for the time of the killings. But lets just say that they did have a fight over some flirting ect....Do you think she would blow up in front of darin on the kids and start killing them, or wait until he goes to bed then takes it out on them?

Well, when I'm on the "Darlie-Did-It" side of the fence, I think the fight w/ Darin set her off - they fought about money, Darlie feeling overwhelmed w/ the kids, maybe her jealousy over him spending time w/ Dana, etc. and then divorce came up. So he huffs off to bed and she grabs her pillow to sleep on the couch - she's sobbing and extremely emotional; she can't lose Darin, he's her man. So she's laying there in the dark, she can't sleep because of the diet pills and she's getting herself all worked up in her mind - she feels sorry for herself and she starts thinking about the kids - how demanding they are, how much money they cost, how much better her life and marriage was before they came along. So she "blows a gasket," gets the knife and kills the kids.

JMHO....

KatiesMom said:
Well, when I'm on the "Darlie-Did-It" side of the fence, I think the fight w/ Darin set her off - they fought about money, Darlie feeling overwhelmed w/ the kids, maybe her jealousy over him spending time w/ Dana, etc. and then divorce came up. So he huffs off to bed and she grabs her pillow to sleep on the couch - she's sobbing and extremely emotional; she can't lose Darin, he's her man. So she's laying there in the dark, she can't sleep because of the diet pills and she's getting herself all worked up in her mind - she feels sorry for herself and she starts thinking about the kids - how demanding they are, how much money they cost, how much better her life and marriage was before they came along. So she "blows a gasket," gets the knife and kills the kids.

JMHO....
The only problem i have with that theory is that would darin not hear anything? I mean i am sure the boys had to have screamed out in pain. So wouldnt darin hear them and if he came down the stairs I am sure he would have stopped her, unless he was in on it and they had planned it.....

michelle said:
I am still looking for the time of the killings. But lets just say that they did have a fight over some flirting ect....Do you think she would blow up in front of darin on the kids and start killing them, or wait until he goes to bed then takes it out on them?
This theory is way out there and I have nothing to support it and I haven't followed the blood trail to fit this theory but what about Darin and Darlie fighting? I mean a knock-down-drag out fight about his attention to another female. It wasn't a school night and who says the kids were asleep? Just Darlie and Darin (and we know how honest they have been). Ok, so the boys were asleep and D and D started to argue and they got louder and louder and it woke one of the boys up and maybe he got in the middle of the fight and maybe Darlie was going to stab Darin and one of the boys got in the way and then the intruder idea was hatched.

Oh my, I've watched way too much Law and Order. All I'm saying is my husband, in the past, had a "situation" with another female and I found out and the whole time we were working things out, the kids always seemed in the way. I am NO way saying I ever thought about killing my kids but I will say I was frustrated with them more than ever and my emotions were all over the place. What if Darlie was having those same thoughts? Plus she just recently had a baby, the hot Texas heat, the diet pills, the no sleep. Just something to think about.

michelle said:
The only problem i have with that theory is that would darin not hear anything? I mean i am sure the boys had to have screamed out in pain. So wouldnt darin hear them and if he came down the stairs I am sure he would have stopped her, unless he was in on it and they had planned it.....
Darlie atacked the boys while they were asleep with only the glow of the TV. I imagine some grunting, but not much more than that. Devon fought some, but he quickly bled out. Any screams would have been quickly smothered by his mother. His and Damon's lungs quickly filled up with blood and Damon though he lived through that attack and even the other, was quickly too weak to speak, although the poor child remained conscious.

michelle said:
And that's where I get stuck. I can't imagine that she killed them and he was clueless about it; If he came downstairs and saw what she was doing - why didn't he kill her? As much as I love my husband and as much as he loves me - there is NO WAY that either one of us wouldn't go into mother/father dragon mode if the other was somehow hurting our daughter (there's the talking in circles thing again; I hope you understand what I mean.)

KatiesMom said:
And that's where I get stuck. I can't imagine that she killed them and he was clueless about it; If he came downstairs and saw what she was doing - why didn't he kill her? As much as I love my husband and as much as he loves me - there is NO WAY that either one of us wouldn't go into mother/father dragon mode if the other was somehow hurting our daughter (there's the talking in circles thing again; I hope you understand what I mean.)
I totally understand, I love my hubby but i would kill him and he would kill me if anything crazy like that ever happened, which it wouldnt! This case is crazy, i have always been a fence sitter but i am leaning towards her guilt and i think she did it and he came down after it was done and maybe at the time he didnt know she was the one who killed them until later on, or maybe he put 2 and 2 together as the cops were on their way and he decided to help her cover it up, who knows. I need to go read the transcripts. And maybe he bruised her up and helped her stage the whole thing.

detectivewannabe said:
Stir Wannabe stir! That's what makes us think.

detectivewannabe said:
This theory is way out there and I have nothing to support it and I haven't followed the blood trail to fit this theory but what about Darin and Darlie fighting? I mean a knock-down-drag out fight about his attention to another female. It wasn't a school night and who says the kids were asleep? Just Darlie and Darin (and we know how honest they have been). Ok, so the boys were asleep and D and D started to argue and they got louder and louder and it woke one of the boys up and maybe he got in the middle of the fight and maybe Darlie was going to stab Darin and one of the boys got in the way and then the intruder idea was hatched.

Oh my, I've watched way too much Law and Order. All I'm saying is my husband, in the past, had a "situation" with another female and I found out and the whole time we were working things out, the kids always seemed in the way. I am NO way saying I ever thought about killing my kids but I will say I was frustrated with them more than ever and my emotions were all over the place. What if Darlie was having those same thoughts? Plus she just recently had a baby, the hot Texas heat, the diet pills, the no sleep. Just something to think about.
Hummmmmm.........sounds like it could happen. You other theory sounds reasonable too. We need to make a thread where everyone states how they think it happened.

michelle said:
I cant seem to buy the whole theory on he was upstairs and she had a fit of rage and started killing the kids and he walked in on it and didnt kill her! I can buy that he knew ahead she was going to do it, and he helped her in it, but the other theory, i just dont see it :truce: be easy on me, lol....I could see him upstairs waiting for her to give him the "ok" and then he comes down and they put there plan in action but i think she stabbed them herself. He probably did the running around cleaning up ect....
I don't buy it either. I think that the turning point was in May when she threatened to kill herself. That little kiss and make up session that made everything all better started the ball rolling on the murders. If he had to choose whether to lose her or the kids, he would choose the kids...something like that,....and slowly the plot began to evolve. Maybe it just seemed like a fantasy for awhile. It was not well planned. Maybe because at least one of them didn't think they would ever really do it. Something about the picture that day....100 degree heat, boys emptying out the hot tub, neighbor who claimed he heard Darlie cursing them through the fence over it, Dana suddenly going home, etc.

Goody said:
I don't buy it either. I think that the turning point was in May when she threatened to kill herself. That little kiss and make up session that made everything all better started the ball rolling on the murders. If he had to choose whether to lose her or the kids, he would choose the kids...something like that,....and slowly the plot began to evolve. Maybe it just seemed like a fantasy for awhile. It was not well planned. Maybe because at least one of them didn't think they would ever really do it. Something about the picture that day....100 degree heat, boys emptying out the hot tub, neighbor who claimed he heard Darlie cursing them through the fence over it, Dana suddenly going home, etc.
Refresh my memory, what all happened that day?

Jeana (DP) said:
I think he knows exactly what happened, I just don't think he actually had a knife in his hands and stabbed one of the boys. He may have helped in the staging, but not necessarily.
Some people think he knew about it but didn't have the guts to participate so he hid out in another room while the dirty work was being done. I think the absence of a shirt could mean that he was involved in the murders as well, but I haven't settled on it as "my theory." I don't think he is obsessed with Darlie and I don't think he participated in only the cover up. I think he might be the one who killed Damon, maybe only because they discovered him still alive during the 911 call. I find it a bit ironic that Darlie was convicted on the one she might not have been guilty of, but how do you say, "Wait a minute. I didn't kill this one. I killed the other one. Darin did this one." Even a confession would not have helped her at that point.

michelle said:
Refresh my memory, what all happened that day?
Let's see. Dana (Darlie's sister) worked with Darin that day at the shop. Basia's, who also worked for Darin, mother was hired the day before to clean house for Darlie. June 5 was her second day on the job. At quitting time, Basia came to pick up her mother. She came in the house and drank a beer. They talked about the garage sale Darlie was planning. The garage door was up looking out to the alley (remember though that this is almost at the intersection of the alley and the street) They see a black car parked in the alley and a couple of guys staring at the stuff in the garage (Later they try to make a big deal of it, but the car was obviously sitting only to turn out of the alley onto the street. They fail to mention that in court though.) Darin and Dana, who had left the shop a half hour before Basia, arrive just as Basia and her mom are leaving. Darlie cooks homemade chicken soup. They all eat together. (The boys don't eat with the adults. They have a small table nearby where they eat.) After dinner the boys go out to play and the adults hang out. (It gets a little fuzzy now because they have two different stories about what Darin does in this time. One is he goes thru stuff in the garage to see how much of his stuff Darlie is getting rid of. Later he was supposedly fixing the gate. One story has them all watching TV together and the other either shortens that time or reduces it considerably.)

I don't know if the boys got into the hot tub before or after dinner, but I suspect it was before dinner. They were said to have emptied half the water out of it. It made Darlie very angry and she was said to have called them little MF's and threatened them with serious retalliation from their dad when he got home. But this neighbor did not testify so we only have what they told one of the book authors about that. In court, Darlie said Darin was upset by it and he said Darlie was the one bothered by it.

The little boy across the street wanted to spend the night but they boys were told no because they'd gotten into trouble (I assume because of the hot tub incident). They came in from play and Darlie vacuumed up behind them. (Think they came in thru the patio doors.)

Different reasons are given for why Dana went home. She had been staying overnight during the week because Darin had given her a summer job. I think Darlie wanted her to go home so she and Darin could talk about their finances. I think in one of the books Dana is attributed to saying that she is the one who wanted to go home, to be there when her fiance came in.

Whatever the reasons, Darin returned from taking her home around 10:00, maybe 10:20. When he returned the kids were downstairs with their sleeping gear and Darlie was laying on the couch with Drake. Darin gets a bottle for him and takes him upstairs to bed. He watches the news and when Drake goes to sleep, he goes back downstairs to talk to Darlie. They discuss or argue, then kiss and make up, and Darin goes back upstairs at 1:00 a.m. The next thing he knows the wine glass breaks and shortly thereafter he hears Darlie's screams. (Should be about 2:25) He rushed downstairs (either nude or after he jumps in a pair of jeans). As Darlie dials 911, he rushes to Devon (doesn't even see Damon) to perform CPR.

Feel free folks to fill in where needed.

Goody said:
Let's see. Dana (Darlie's sister) worked with Darin that day at the shop. Basia's, who also worked for Darin, mother was hired the day before to clean house for Darlie. June 5 was her second day on the job. At quitting time, Basia came to pick up her mother. She came in the house and drank a beer. They talked about the garage sale Darlie was planning. The garage door was up looking out to the alley (remember though that this is almost at the intersection of the alley and the street) They see a black car parked in the alley and a couple of guys staring at the stuff in the garage (Later they try to make a big deal of it, but the car was obviously sitting only to turn out of the alley onto the street. They fail to mention that in court though.) Darin and Dana, who had left the shop a half hour before Basia, arrive just as Basia and her mom are leaving. Darlie cooks homemade chicken soup. They all eat together. (The boys don't eat with the adults. They have a small table nearby where they eat.) After dinner the boys go out to play and the adults hang out. (It gets a little fuzzy now because they have two different stories about what Darin does in this time. One is he goes thru stuff in the garage to see how much of his stuff Darlie is getting rid of. Later he was supposedly fixing the gate. One story has them all watching TV together and the other either shortens that time or reduces it considerably.)

I don't know if the boys got into the hot tub before or after dinner, but I suspect it was before dinner. They were said to have emptied half the water out of it. It made Darlie very angry and she was said to have called them little MF's and threatened them with serious retalliation from their dad when he got home. But this neighbor did not testify so we only have what they told one of the book authors about that. In court, Darlie said Darin was upset by it and he said Darlie was the one bothered by it.

The little boy across the street wanted to spend the night but they boys were told no because they'd gotten into trouble (I assume because of the hot tub incident). They came in from play and Darlie vacuumed up behind them. (Think they came in thru the patio doors.)

Different reasons are given for why Dana went home. She had been staying overnight during the week because Darin had given her a summer job. I think Darlie wanted her to go home so she and Darin could talk about their finances. I think in one of the books Dana is attributed to saying that she is the one who wanted to go home, to be there when her fiance came in.

Whatever the reasons, Darin returned from taking her home around 10:00, maybe 10:20. When he returned the kids were downstairs with their sleeping gear and Darlie was laying on the couch with Drake. Darin gets a bottle for him and takes him upstairs to bed. He watches the news and when Drake goes to sleep, he goes back downstairs to talk to Darlie. They discuss or argue, then kiss and make up, and Darin goes back upstairs at 1:00 a.m. The next thing he knows the wine glass breaks and shortly thereafter he hears Darlie's screams. (Should be about 2:25) He rushed downstairs (either nude or after he jumps in a pair of jeans). As Darlie dials 911, he rushes to Devon (doesn't even see Damon) to perform CPR.

Feel free folks to fill in where needed.
Thanks Goody, your awesome!! I am watching the Leeza episodes now....

michelle said:
Thanks Goody, your awesome!! I am watching the Leeza episodes now....
I think that is where Dana says it was her idea to go home that night. On the Leeza show.

....and I see a copy on Ebay for $36.95! That's what I get for being lazy and not checking ebay first!!! I also ordered Flesh and Blood, Hush Little Babies, and Precious Angels through amazon...(all used and quite reasonable - from about $3.99 to $13).

Anyway, I found the info to order MTJD on a media-tried website that popped up during a search - the order form included a phone number so I called to make sure the address was still valid - and I spoke with CWB directly for a few moments - he keeps in touch with Darin but has not been in contact with Darlie "for years". He seemed nice enough - and as everyone here is well aware, is an avid D&D supporter. I'm sure part of the $ goes toward Darlie's defense - I really don't care and doubt that any amount of money will make a difference or help her get a new trial - I really want that book! (knowing full well it is full of spelling and grammatical errors).

I am starting to lean toward Darin being the one who inflicted Darlie's wounds....or at the very least he watched (encouraged) her to self-inflict them...maybe not...I don't know,
I'm starting to think about this case way too much! I figured I'd get the books and see if my opinion stays the same after reading everything I can find. I'm in the process of reading the transcripts.....I will say this, the court reporter deserved to lose her license/certification/privilege to practice, the errors made were grossly unacceptable.

The above is my opinion only.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho