Book released by Defense Attorney, Nov 2015 #2

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Chapter 18

Learning more about Mr. Alexander

L "looked upon " TA "with sadness, not just because of how he died but because of how he lived"

L believed that TA was "a slave to his image", "never being what he wanted to be"

To L, TA cared much about what others thought of him

- to appear he was doing well financially (he was not)

-Ta hosted fight night parties, etc.- "demonstrated wealth"

L was sad about TA's "morals and his spiritual beliefs...could tell that he was not truly living in the way he wanted to live"

-L could tell "looks at a person's behavior to assess the kind of person they are"

-L gives example

-states that TA didn't "act like he wanted to be a Mormon"

-Ta was "highly motivated by sex" (evidence- "communications and conduct not only with Ms. Arias but with other women as well")

-normal for others- "but are obviously well outside the norm if someone is of the Mormon faith"

L felt that if TA shared his feelings ( actions showed he wanted to live "a less restrictive more normal sexual existence") with friends, he "would lose their love and friendship"

L states could be wrong - if TA truly wanted to be member of LDS Church- "think about the guilt and shame he must have lived with. To me living with such guilt and/or shame would be a very sad way to live" (pg. 99)
================================================== =========

Chapter 19

Ms. Arias' Jail Calls

phone calls in Maricopa jail can only be 12 min long before another call can be made

during phone calls, defendants can say things that are detrimental to their case

defendants are warned by their attys not to talk to others about their case- can be used against them in court

some defendants think they are "smarter than their attorneys"... they do not listen to this advice"

L gives this advice to all clients

in non-death cases, L doesn't normally care about client's calls- in DP case everything important- always listens to calls- "not much of a burden" to listen

normally not many calls- expensive

the murderer had lots of calls- she would call friends, family, call others to ask why people were not picking up her calls- calls several X day and daily basis

L amazed at all the calls- people who received her calls had to pay for them "and they were typically pointless" calls

L stated was obligated to listen to calls- JM would be listening too and use calls for his case for death

L states he "had a self-destructive client who thought she was smarter than anyone. So I assumed that she would try and pull something off during one of these calls, something that she thought might help her case" (pg. 101)

State could use tapes at trial without advance notice

murderer did not talk about trial too much on calls but, "she said so many other damaging things that I was sure that the State would bring them up during sentencing because these calls did not portray Ms. Arias in a good light" (pg. 102)

- she would yell, act "mean-spirited" at mother, call her "stupid and/or guilt her into sending her money because she was starving"- not sending her money/book fast
murderer did not care if mother had money- she would even tell mother how to budget money so had enough to send to her and to ignore her father if he objected-
"...she had the unmitigated gall to give canteen items to other inmates and thus ask her mother for more money. It was pretty repulsive to listen to.." (pg. 102)

L wanted Sandy to hang up on the murderer "..to my recollection she only did once"- never stood up to the murderer

L was amazed at arrogance and narcissism of the murderer

"Sandy was the parent but she never seemed to act like it at all"

L not "reading too much into it because Sandy.....was empathetic to her daughter's situation"

phone calls gave L "insight" into the murderer's relationship with people

the murderer "degraded her mother and to others" , ordered her siblings around "acting superior to them even though she was in jail"

L felt that the murderer thought world owed her something, very angry with mother (for what ??)

"To me this was something I saw a fair amount of time in former clients who had been sexually abused. Thus, to me it was more evidence that Ms. Arias was mad at her mother for not caring enough to stop the abuse, more evidence that she was mad at her mother for not protecting her from the person sexually abusing her as a child." (pg. 103)

the murderer was "kind and respectful" to father, but conversations very cold- did not talk often

seemed to L that parents only talked to murderer "out of obligation to the other because of the biological link they shared"

murderer manipulated mother- indirectly, talking bad of the father- or asking her to do things behind her father's back "because he was such a 'jerk' "

father did not like that mother sent the murderer so much money

L thought that money was "a big deal" to murderer

L talks about her "fan base"- began after 48 Hours show- she received "a ton of mail"

categories of mail:

-biggest- men who wanted to have sex with her "Men who believed that once Ms. Arias was set free that she would come running into their arms and eventually into their beds"- L called them "suitors"

- "a general assortment of weird people" (one woman shared her whole sexual history)

to the murderer, fans were potential cash cows/ do things for her- she dedicated more time to "suitors"- thought they would generate more money for her

L listened carefully to calls from "suitors" for "shenanigans"- never heard any- "assumes" JM never heard any either because he didn't use calls in court

L "recalls" a suitor - lived in Missouri- worked on farm- around 60 years old - he was "thrilled" she called him "This man would tell her how he had a room for her once she got out of jail"

L said he had sexual interest in her "and she knew it"- would "feign interest in him and without fail he would eventually ask .. if she needed anything"- she pretended she was OK-she made it feel as if she "was practically doing him a favor by allowing him to send her money...or..book. In this regard, she was amazing" (pg. 104) L said it was "so pathetic"

L said she had plenty of "suitors" and money to buy things from the jail "canteen"

L amazed that State never used calls in third phase of trial- may never know- he would have- "there never a time when I thought Ms. Arias was deserving of the death penalty more than when I listened to her on theses calls" (pg. 105) and L against DP under "any circumstance"- said the murderer "sounded like a monster...[ she was] truly sickening to me"

talks about friend Donovan- came to trial almost every day- murderer often called her

-served as a "quasi-spokesperson"- they met in jail when housed together, not life-long friends

- the murderer manipulated her into her personal assistant on outside

- this made the murderer seem, to L, "like a very scary person in her ability to manipulate others"

L thought if jurors heard calls, they would despise her- for crime and personal too

"If I was the prosecutor on the case, I would have had Dr Demarte refer to these calls as examples that supported her diagnosis as doing so would have been a way to illustrate to the jury, perhaps without saying so, that Ms. Arias was a monster whose life needed to end. Fortunately for Ms. Arias, that never happened." (pg. 105)
================================================== ==============

Chapter 20

Ms. Arias' "Ninja Story"

seemed like a "bull**** story" to L, but back then, couldn't prove it was a "bull**** story"

if that was the murderer's story , he had to work with it at the time

L didn't know when she was going to change the story- couldn't hold up case- had to prepare a case

had to have murderer talk to experts anyway even with that story to see what they said

"I had to try to minimize the damage that my client was doing to her own case...If..story was going to change...admit the 'ninja story' was not true.....the sooner the better."

L states, to him, what happened on 6/4/2008 did not include ninjas "or any other person for that matter"

L did not "vocalize these beliefs" to the murderer and did not "assert to her that I believed her 'ninja story' .....over time she began to sense that I did not believe this story"- she came, in time, to telling him different story

"If she got up on the stand and told the 'ninja story' she would be found guilty of First Degree Murder and she would be sentenced to death" (pg. 108)

L felt that the murderer believed that others would accept the "ninja story"- she could convince the jury that it was true

L had to show her that "real people" would not accept her story, but couldn't disclose confidential material to them

L did not need to have her permission to disclose evidence already in public

with help of Mit Spec, showed class of undergrads CBS docu- gave them questionnaire- did they believe the "ninja story"?- no one believed it

after- the murderer told story of self-defense- "ninja story" now dead

L didn't believe the self defense story either- "You may notice ....Ms. Arias' revised version of events I have been using the word 'story' "

had she revised her story sooner, before Samuels' meeting, he wouldn't have been attacked on stand

always possibility that she wouldn't have changed story- needed to have her evaluated

" ...I was trying to save Ms. Arias' life, yet at the same time she was trying to make it harder for me to do my job" (pg. 109)
================================================== ==========

Next:

Chapter 21
The Murder Weapons

Chapter 22
Ms. Arias' Supposed Guilt Phase Witnesses
================================================== =============

JODI ARIAS ANALYSIS
TRAPPED WITH MS. ARIAS
(George Barwood- a staunch supporter from England)

"This blog is some observations about Kirk Nurmi’s performance as a lawyer for Jodi Arias, in light of some of the information he discloses about the pre-trial preparations in the first of three books about the case...."

https://geebee2.wordpress.com/2015/11/21/trapped-with-ms-arias/

He hasn't, in fact, changed his position of the murderer's innocence (as his Tweet alluded to )
------------------------------------------------------------

CUsKUnDUkAAXs3_.png

Link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUsKUnDUkAAXs3_.png
------------------------------------------------------------------

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Chapter 18

Learning more about Mr. Alexander

L "looked upon " TA "with sadness, not just because of how he died but because of how he lived"

L believed that TA was "a slave to his image", "never being what he wanted to be"

L was sad about TA's "morals and his spiritual beliefs...could tell that he was not truly living in the way he wanted to live"

-L could tell "looks at a person's behavior to assess the kind of person they are"

-L gives example

-Ta was "highly motivated by sex" (evidence- "communications and conduct not only with Ms. Arias but with other women as well")

-normal for others- "but are obviously well outside the norm if someone is of the Mormon faith"

L felt that if TA shared his feelings ( actions showed he wanted to live "a less restrictive more normal sexual existence") with friends, he "would lose their love and friendship"

L states could be wrong - if TA truly wanted to be member of LDS Church- "think about the guilt and shame he must have lived with. To me living with such guilt and/or shame would be a very sad way to live" (pg. 99)
================================================== =========

Chapter 19

Ms. Arias' Jail Calls

phone calls in Maricopa jail can only be 12 min long before another call can be made

during phone calls, defendants can say things that are detrimental to their case

defendants are warned by their attys not to talk to others about their case- can be used against them in court

some defendants think they are "smarter than their attorneys"... they do not listen to this advice"

L gives this advice to all clients

in non-death cases, L doesn't normally care about client's calls- in DP case everything important- always listens to calls- "not much of a burden" to listen

normally not many calls- expensive

the murderer had lots of calls- she would call friends, family, call others to ask why people were not picking up her calls- calls several X day and daily basis

L amazed at all the calls- people who received her calls had to pay for them "and they were typically pointless" calls

L stated was obligated to listen to calls- JM would be listening too and use calls for his case for death

L states he "had a self-destructive client who thought she was smarter than anyone. So I assumed that she would try and pull something off during one of these calls, something that she thought might help her case" (pg. 101)

State could use tapes at trial without advance notice

murderer did not talk about trial too much on calls but, "she said so many other damaging things that I was sure that the State would bring them up during sentencing because these calls did not portray Ms. Arias in a good light" (pg. 102)

- she would yell, act "mean-spirited" at mother, call her "stupid and/or guilt her into sending her money because she was starving"- not sending her money/book fast
murderer did not care if mother had money- she would even tell mother how to budget money so had enough to send to her and to ignore her father if he objected-
"...she had the unmitigated gall to give canteen items to other inmates and thus ask her mother for more money. It was pretty repulsive to listen to.." (pg. 102)

L wanted Sandy to hang up on the murderer "..to my recollection she only did once"- never stood up to the murderer

L was amazed at arrogance and narcissism of the murderer

"Sandy was the parent but she never seemed to act like it at all"

L not "reading too much into it because Sandy.....was empathetic to her daughter's situation"

phone calls gave L "insight" into the murderer's relationship with people

the murderer "degraded her mother and to others" , ordered her siblings around "acting superior to them even though she was in jail"

L felt that the murderer thought world owed her something, very angry with mother (for what ??)

"To me this was something I saw a fair amount of time in former clients who had been sexually abused. Thus, to me it was more evidence that Ms. Arias was mad at her mother for not caring enough to stop the abuse, more evidence that she was mad at her mother for not protecting her from the person sexually abusing her as a child." (pg. 103)

the murderer was "kind and respectful" to father, but conversations very cold- did not talk often

seemed to L that parents only talked to murderer "out of obligation to the other because of the biological link they shared"

murderer manipulated mother- indirectly, talking bad of the father- or asking her to do things behind her father's back "because he was such a 'jerk' "

father did not like that mother sent the murderer so much money

L thought that money was "a big deal" to murderer

L talks about her "fan base"- began after 48 Hours show- she received "a ton of mail"

categories of mail:

-biggest- men who wanted to have sex with her "Men who believed that once Ms. Arias was set free that she would come running into their arms and eventually into their beds"- L called them "suitors"

- "a general assortment of weird people" (one woman shared her whole sexual history)

to the murderer, fans were potential cash cows/ do things for her- she dedicated more time to "suitors"- thought they would generate more money for her

L listened carefully to calls from "suitors" for "shenanigans"- never heard any- "assumes" JM never heard any either because he didn't use calls in court

L "recalls" a suitor - lived in Missouri- worked on farm- around 60 years old - he was "thrilled" she called him "This man would tell her how he had a room for her once she got out of jail"

L said he had sexual interest in her "and she knew it"- would "feign interest in him and without fail he would eventually ask .. if she needed anything"- she pretended she was OK-she made it feel as if she "was practically doing him a favor by allowing him to send her money...or..book. In this regard, she was amazing" (pg. 104) L said it was "so pathetic"

L said she had plenty of "suitors" and money to buy things from the jail "canteen"

L amazed that State never used calls in third phase of trial- may never know- he would have- "there never a time when I thought Ms. Arias was deserving of the death penalty more than when I listened to her on theses calls" (pg. 105) and L against DP under "any circumstance"- said the murderer "sounded like a monster...[ she was] truly sickening to me"

talks about friend Donovan- came to trial almost every day- murderer often called her

-served as a "quasi-spokesperson"- they met in jail when housed together, not life-long friends

- the murderer manipulated her into her personal assistant on outside

- this made the murderer seem, to L, "like a very scary person in her ability to manipulate others"

L thought if jurors heard calls, they would despise her- for crime and personal too

"If I was the prosecutor on the case, I would have had Dr Demarte refer to these calls as examples that supported her diagnosis as doing so would have been a way to illustrate to the jury, perhaps without saying so, that Ms. Arias was a monster whose life needed to end. Fortunately for Ms. Arias, that never happened." (pg. 105)
================================================== ==============

Chapter 20

Ms. Arias' "Ninja Story"

seemed like a "bull**** story" to L, but back then, couldn't prove it was a "bull**** story"

if that was the murderer's story , he had to work with it at the time

L didn't know when she was going to change the story- couldn't hold up case- had to prepare a case

had to have murderer talk to experts anyway even with that story to see what they said

"I had to try to minimize the damage that my client was doing to her own case...If..story was going to change...admit the 'ninja story' was not true.....the sooner the better."

L states, to him, what happened on 6/4/2008 did not include ninjas "or any other person for that matter"

L did not "vocalize these beliefs" to the murderer and did not "assert to her that I believed her 'ninja story' .....over time she began to sense that I did not believe this story"- she came, in time, to telling him different story

"If she got up on the stand and told the 'ninja story' she would be found guilty of First Degree Murder and she would be sentenced to death" (pg. 108)

L felt that the murderer believed that others would accept the "ninja story"- she could convince the jury that it was true

L had to show her that "real people" would not accept her story, but couldn't disclose confidential material to them

L did not need to have her permission to disclose evidence already in public

with help of Mit Spec, showed class of undergrads CBS docu- gave them questionnaire- did they believe the "ninja story"?- no one believed it

after- the murderer told story of self-defense- "ninja story" now dead

L didn't believe the self defense story either- "You may notice ....Ms. Arias' revised version of events I have been using the word 'story' "

had she revised her story sooner, before Samuels' meeting, he wouldn't have been attacked on stand

always possibility that she wouldn't have changed story- needed to have her evaluated

" ...I was trying to save Ms. Arias' life, yet at the same time she was trying to make it harder for me to do my job" (pg. 109)
================================================== ==========

Next:

Chapter 21
The Murder Weapons

Chapter 22
Y/N,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your insights of this book! I really appreciate all that you have done and continue to do!

What is really amazing to me is that Nurmi recognizes just how manipulative JA is but refuses to acknowledge this is just the way she interacted with TA! Why can't he or won't he? I just don't understand. But yet and still, he is very harsh, IMO, of TA and his sex life and how he lived his life. There has been no one, not one, that ever voiced their concerns about TA's behavior.

His assessment of TA is too harsh and very unfair. Again, MOO.

What's with Nurmi and the incessant complaints that people don't show him enough gratitude? Jodi doesn't send so much as a card for saving her life, Sky Hughes hasn't thanked him for showing her the pedophile letters. He reminds me of my father-in-law who thought people should send thank-you notes to people who had sent them thank-you notes.

Y/N,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your insights of this book! I really appreciate all that you have done and continue to do!

What is really amazing to me is that Nurmi recognizes just how manipulative JA is but refuses to acknowledge this is just the way she interacted with TA! Why can't he or won't he? I just don't understand. But yet and still, he is very harsh, IMO, of TA and his sex life and how he lived his life. There has been no one, not one, that ever voiced their concerns about TA's behavior.

His assessment of TA is too harsh and very unfair. Again, MOO.

I read the book and I agree with you 100 percent. It is baffling to me how KN can't seem to fathom that dealing with JA was a real PITA for anyone. That, and how he knows she is a liar but we have to believe everything she says about the relationship. There is a real disconnect there.

Working off Yes or No's excerpts:

_---------------_-_-----------

OK. So Nurmi, after everything, now looks back at the man his client slaughtered and whose memory he helped defile, and.....pities him?

But not for being victimized, tormented, and killed by his client. Nope. Because Nurmi feels he understands Travis well enough to say that Travis didn't really want to be Mormon, that Travis wasn't living the life he wanted, that even the generous and fun things Travis did like hosting parties at his house were a lie meant to demonstrate wealth Travis didn't have.

I wouldn't have thought it possible. Not only is the killer never going to be satisfied with the pain she's caused, but her attorney isn't done vilifying Travis either.

I guess he won't be satisfied until he's tried to sully or to destroy every single last thing that was wonderful or warm or remarkable about Travis.

Like his client, again and again he reveals everything about himself in his attempt to strike back, and nothing at all about his target.

Working off Yes or No's excerpts:

_---------------_-_-----------

OK. So Nurmi, after everything, now looks back at the man his client slaughtered and whose memory he helped defile, and.....pities him?

But not for being victimized, tormented, and killed by his client. Nope. Because Nurmi feels he understands Travis well enough to say that Travis didn't really want to be Mormon, that Travis wasn't living the life he wanted, that even the generous and fun things Travis did like hosting parties at his house were a lie meant to demonstrate wealth Travis didn't have.

I wouldn't have thought it possible. Not only is the killer never going to be satisfied with the pain she's caused, but her attorney isn't done vilifying Travis either.

I guess he won't be satisfied until he's tried to sully or to destroy every single last thing that was wonderful or warm or remarkable about Travis.

Like his client, again and again he reveals everything about himself in his attempt to strike back, and nothing at all about his target.
I think he's trying to convince people he didn't believe Travis deserved what happened to him when in fact that's exactly what he believes.

purple bbm are my comments

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Chapter 16

The Letters

L thinks this was mistake- State could have convinced jury that they were forged- " I believe if they had Ms. Arias would be on death row as you read this"

oh, so if the jury saw the forged letters, and heard the horrible phone calls, jodi would be on death row right now. so actually instead of nurmi being so proud for getting her life w/o parole, shouldn't he be crediting juan for not admitting that stuff into evidence? can't have it both ways nurmi!
================================================== ============

Chapter 17

The Phone Sex Tapes

"What I got was unbelievable"

"This was a recording of a conversation Mr. Alexander had with Ms. Arias, the woman who would wind up killing him within a month of having this conversation with him"

talk was about "mundane things" in beginning (traveling, business, etc)- TA said he had intentions to visit the murderer in Yreka ("Does one visit their crazy ex-girlfriend who is stalking them?")

or maybe travis was just telling her he would so she wouldn't get mad, then later have 'something come up' and not make it?

their conversation-talked about Abe -"someone who likely dated" the murderer and kissed her- TA not happy- Ta wanted to "whip Abe's 'A'" because kissed "his girlfriend"

"The fact that Ms. Arias was not Mr. Alexander's girlfriend at the time of the kiss didn't seem to matter to Mr. Alexander"

this part of "the sex tape" was very important to L

"..because it told me that Mr. Alexander seemingly had a violent streak because he had expressed a desire to be violent with Abe."

or maybe he was showing a bit of machismo to impress her, you know talking like a tough guy, like most men do... 'yeah i'll kick his...'

TA said something in tape unbelievable to L- "He said that Ms. Arias' orgasm sounded like a 12 year old girl having her first orgasm...Ms. Arias was shocked as well"- then "Mr. Alexander repeated himself" and then said "something to the effect of 'it was like corking the pot of a 12 year old' "

okay when I first heard it? i said THE EXACT SAME THING to my brother who was watching with me, 'omg she sounds like a little girl' and i thought SHE was kinda the sick one for trying to sound that way, cuz you know she was faking it, so why would she even do that? moan naturally you freaky broad. quit trying to act so 'innocent' when you squeal. she wasn't shocked either that he said that.

L said, before trial, before everyone hated the murderer, "What would you think if you heard Mr. Alexander saying this on tape before he had been killed?... about anyone who said this? Would you think they were a pedophile?"

NO! omg i say way darker stuff than that all the time... i don't mean it~!

"If someone made these comments to you would you let them be alone with your daughter?"

should i be left alone with my daughter for saying the same thing about her baby moans? seriously...

"facts are stubborn things"

"It is a fact that Mr. Alexander said these things on tape."
================================================== ========

after reading this excerpt, i forgot who was on trial here again... i'm wondering if my boyfriend died, and they got my texts and saw one from me saying 'if you are late for dinner i'm gonna kick your butt!, or even KILL YOU! my bf would know i was joking and i would be relaying it in a joking way... if i had mr. nurmi the mind reading, language expert, defending me, i'm sure he'd write a book saying i was sexually abused because i'm emulating language my dead pedophile dad told my mother (all quasi psychobabble), and then in another chapter say i had violent tendencies.

well if he thought he was going to get on the 'good side' of the 'haters' (the jodi haters), i think he just alienated both sides with this discombobulated make your mind up mess he calls a book.

but thanks for the summaries YESorNO!!!! appreciate em!~

YesorNo, continuing thanks for your reportage on this horrendous 1/3 of a book. IMHO, he's trying so hard to get the approbation (best word I can think of at the moment) from both the Jodi lovers and haters. So far, he seems to be alienating both groups. That's pretty much where he stood during the trial(s). No mind-changing or pity for him so far.

What will we find out in books 2 and 3? Or, is he waiting on social media to decide how well he's convinced him before he even pens these?

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Chapter 21

The Murder Weapons

weapons- gun, knife, never entered into evidence, never found ( "or so I believed")

questions: "where did they come from...where now"

answers "may not mean that much to my case"

"If the knife used to kill Mr. Alexander was the knife found in Mr. Alexander's dishwasher it was never identified as the murder weapon....[knife] could be lying somewhere in the desert, it could be in a landfill somewhere, heck it could be anywhere" (pg. 110)

L didn't care about finding knife - could only hurt the murderer's defense (especially if knife used was not from TA's house and brought it with her- no self-defense there)

L talks more about the knife if found- fingerprints or not

The gun- "meaningless" also to him, but hoped it was never identified, although if found, maybe it wasn't grandpa's gun and would support murderer's story

But grandpa's gun was antique and same caliber as gun that shot TA

could not ever be proven that gun used was TA's

"Given the evidence I had at the time, there would be no way to link a gun found discarded near the Grand Canyon and determined to be the murder weapon ever belonged to Mr. Alexander." (pg. 112)

L stated, even if found a gun- she still shot, stabbed TA 27 times - "...regardless of whose gun it was, she still went to great lengths to kill him as opposed to 'protecting herself' as she claimed"

L was concerned if gun was found to be grandpa's and tied to casing found in bathroom

L didn't think grandpa would remember specific gun that was stolen from house, but he might be able to identify it- would prove that the murderer wasa liar- nothing new, but would add more to "the pile of lies she told"

L wasn't going to look for gun
================================================== =====

Chapter 22

after is trial, the murderer went on TV- interview

she "complained about how certain people could have testified that they had seen bruises on her arm and I chose not to call them as witnesses"

she did not provide why L didn't call "these supposed witnesses....she chose to portray herself as a victim"

L wasn't happy about what she said- could not respond- still her atty- case not over

L upset that she gave interview- caused damage to case- she was lying about him too- he could not respond

today, L happy she did interview in public- he can talk because it's not "privileged information"- she waived it herself when she did public interview

who were witnesses and why not use them?

-only had 1 actual witness with decent testimony, but he came "with too much baggage"- even if what he said was true, people wouldn't believe him anyway

-his list witnesses were: her mother, former boyfriend Matt, and "two other men whose name I will keep to myself so as to keep them out of this mess"

Matt was the "actual witness"- he claimed to have seen bruises on arm- couldn't remember when

But problem with him being witness- in States' mind, he had something to do with letters

Det Flores went to Matt's house to see if he could find evidence of forged letters and such- didn't find any

also, JM "would be allowed to state that Matt was willing to lie " about the bruises because he also helped her with the forged letters- then they would have to discuss actual letters

L thought that any discussion would make the murderer out to "look like a crazy person who took elaborate steps to slander Mr. Alexander's character by creating these letters" (pg. 114)

would also make Matt look like liar about bruising

Matt on stand- one step closer to death row- his job to save murderer's life

murderer's mother- she would lie for her and badly- she lied to L about seeing bruising on murderer's arm

-- met mother in Public Defender's reception office over a weekend ( the murderer told L that he should speak to mother about bruising- L thought "I smell a rat")

L didn't like mother- she accused him of being unethical when he wanted to leave and start own practice

--L stated mother was "juvenile, rude and untrustworthy"

--mother and murderer on 1 jail call- mother called L's wife "skinny *****" (after son Carl and his wife met L in Las Vegas)- mother never met L's wife- L's wife only said hello to Carl and his wife

--after L updated mother about case, answered any questions she had, he ask her if he had seen any bruises on murderer's arm- L "found it funny" that he had to ask her- when he asked her "it was like a thought bubble went on above her head reading 'Oh yeah, I forgot to tell him about seeing bruises, Jodi wanted me to tell him that' " (pg. 117) - she said yes

--L asked where/when on arm? she " 'couldn't remember' "- inability to answer more questions and body language, to L, she was lying- knew jury would reach same conclusion

--JM could bring in jail call recordings- calls "were awful"

another witness- man L will call "Frank"

--murderer claims that she met "Frank" and another guy at PPL meeting, Tempe, Fla- both men noticed bruises on her arm- "Frank" made joke that TA beating/bruising her

--L had real names of "Frank" and the other man

--L and "my former Co-counsel" drove to outskirts of Phoenix to see the other man (not "Frank") - he wasn't home- out of town for few months (according to neighbor)- put his card on screen door

--other man called L "right back" ("even though he was out of state") before they got back to Phoenix- did not recall any convo with the murderer about bruising and "joke", TA beating murderer- claimed "Frank" was on other side of room when he did speak to her, but not about bruising

-needed to contact "Frank"- "real 'Frank" had a common name and was not easy to track down"- never found him- "I never held any delusions that he would have been helpful to Ms. Arias' case, in fact, I really sensed that just the opposite was true"

the murderer "remained either convinced that this person could set her free or that my failure to find him is reason enough to have her conviction overturned" (pg. 120)- the "quest to find 'Frank" goes on"
================================================== ========

Next:

Chapter 23
Witness Interviews With the State's Guilt Phase Witnesses

Chapter 24
The State's Interview With Ms. Arias' Actual Guilt Phase Witnesses
End of Section 3 (pg 139)

"L" should have kept his opinions about TA, i.e. "the real victim" to himself. He has no place to judge Travis or even try to delve into TA's psyche. They were strangers and they will always be strangers. "L's" only job was to provide a defense to his client and basically keep her off of death row. That was probably going to happen regardless, given the makeup of the juries. And even if she did get a death penalty, she wouldn't be executed anyway, at least not for decades, if ever.

His only comments should be on what he knows for sure, which is how he tried his case, how he dealt with his client, the trial from his perspective. Whether or not TA was or wasn't living an authentic life has no bearing on his murder and doesn't give anyone mitigating factors for killing him since TA wasn't attacking anyone and certainly not the day he was killed.

"L" should have kept his opinions about TA, i.e. "the real victim" to himself. He has no place to judge Travis or even try to delve into TA's psyche. They were strangers and they will always be strangers. "L's" only job was to provide a defense to his client and basically keep her off of death row. That was probably going to happen regardless, given the makeup of the juries. And even if she did get a death penalty, she wouldn't be executed anyway, at least not for decades, if ever.

His only comments should be on what he knows for sure, which is how he tried his case, how he dealt with his client, the trial from his perspective. Whether or not TA was or wasn't living an authentic life has no bearing on his murder and doesn't give anyone mitigating factors for killing him since TA wasn't attacking anyone and certainly not the day he was killed.

Amen.

Here's a coo-coo for you: :crazy:

The Defense Attorney (Kirk Nurmi)
My Take On L. Kirk Nurmi’s Book …

"Before I begin this blog, there is one thing I want to make clear: I do not know Jodi Arias, I’ve never met her, I’ve never written to her. I simply want to set the record straight.

I only know from what I have found out, that Jodi wasn’t at the scene when Travis Alexander was murdered, and she didn’t kill anyone, most certainly she did not murder Travis Alexander. She has been the victim of a false prosecution and she should not be in prison..." :silly:

https://trialbypictures.wordpress.com/category/the-defense-attorney-kirk-nurmi/

Wait! There's one more about the book: (really- her whole website is laughable, IMO)

The Presumption of Guilt

"As clearly stated in L. Kirk Nurmi’s book, there was absolutely NO presumption of innocence for Jodi Ann Arias, it never existed. He somehow ‘KNEW’ for a fact that Jodi was guilty and from start to finish and beyond. That was and is his position...

There was a far better way to handle Jodi Arias’ case appropriately. Using this approach might even have resulted in a verdict of not guilty, or better yet, for the case to be thrown out of Court for cause...."

https://trialbypictures.wordpress.com/the-presumption-of-guilt/

Wait! There's one more about the book: (really- her whole website is laughable, IMO)

The Presumption of Guilt

"As clearly stated in L. Kirk Nurmi’s book, there was absolutely NO presumption of innocence for Jodi Ann Arias, it never existed. He somehow ‘KNEW’ for a fact that Jodi was guilty and from start to finish and beyond. That was and is his position...

There was a far better way to handle Jodi Arias’ case appropriately. Using this approach might even have resulted in a verdict of not guilty, or better yet, for the case to be thrown out of Court for cause...."

:hilarious::floorlaugh:

The Presumption of Guilt

Who is the author of this junk? Sure sounds like ramblings from that hideous support site... ICK!!

What an idiot that blogger is. Knows nothing about the case except for seeing some pictures and I guess s/he must have missed the part where JA said she was there and stabbed, shot, and slashed TA, well...what she remembers of it. I guess this idiot also missed the part where JA said she had blood on her hands and knew "something bad had happened." The depths of denial some will sink to is amazing.

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Chapter 23

Witness Interviews With the State's Guilt Phase Witnesses

AZ law requires that both parties disclose witnesses- opposing side may interview them before they take stand and must- otherwise, ineffectual

witness may never be called- may be called by either side

State called about 1/2 of their witnesses- just a "guesstimate"- their list lengthy and most lived out of state (L needed to travel to interview them- "preferred not to" but had to)

L talks about Yreka, Ca. visit:

--"never had any interest in visiting"

-- called it "little more than a big truck stop and a sleazy one at that...one of the worst places I have ever been to"- hard to get to, scenic mountain drive

--traveled with investigator and mit. spec.

--complained about hotels "no tell motels", stayed at Holiday Inn

--trip lasted several days

--interviews with law enforcement- "objective fact witnesses", held in manufactured home (what L calls "portable classrooms")

--during 1 interview, his investigator asked a question, but JM "advised officer not to answer"- L thought that was because only the atty was allowed to ask- advised JM that she could ask questions- JM argued "reasonable accommodations" and asked investigator to tell question to L and then have L ask question of officer

-"..it seemed very juvenile to me and gave me great insight into who he was as a person. It seemed to me that he was the type of person or at least the type of attorney who thought he was in control of the crime case. This was one of the first times that I recall of Mr. Martinez trying to bully me, but it was far from the last." (pg. 124), L claims that JM had no right to control situation- officer did answered his investigator's questions

L talks about Salt Lake City Utah: (where the murderer went to meet Ryan Burns)

--arrived on a Sunday and place deserted - most people Mormons and Sunday is for family; L thought it was beautiful city, better than Yreka

interviewed Officer Galetti who pulled the murderer over for upside down license plate

--"As I recall Mr Martinez got quite a kick out of the fact that I got lost [trying to find right police station]. Back then we did not despise each other (or so it seemed) so he was laughing with me, not at me."

interviewed Leslie Udy: "a wonderful person", felt her answers were "honest and forthright and not designed to support either side, only the truth."

interviewed Ryan Burns: he had done interview with media- he was concerned about how he would be portrayed- he had wife, child, and still in PPL, could jeopardize all that; L thought he was "a great guy, who got caught up in a bad situation"

other interviews: crime scene tech, fingerprint examiners, officers who stood guard at house

interview with Det. Flores- L had heard him on audiotape, videotape interviewing the murderer and other civilians (Chris, Sky Hughes); Det was also interviewed on CBS 48 Hours

- Det F made comments during 48 Hours- there was no evidence that murderer slashed TA's tires, did not know who sent "ominous" email to Lisa Andrews, and that contact between TA and Murderer was mutual

-L thought Det F was "a kind mild mannered man...not an agressive cop who got in people's faces...who would simply let a person talk until the person had tied a noose around their own neck...appeared to be very objective...honest when he talked about the evidence related to the crime" (pg. 128)

-when l actually met Det. F, though the was "very likable and professional"

"...once I started talking about the case and asking questions related to the newly obtained evidence, such as the text messages, it seemed to me that he became very evasive and further seemed suddenly incapable of providing straightforward answers to simple questions" (pg. 128)

interview Det. Melendez: performed forensic analysis of camera, TA's laptop

- found out Det M only took quickie computer course - often given to police officers

-L said he lacked qualifications for expert- only knew how to run "Encase" - "...he did not seem capable of performing more complex tasks"- wrote a good report, but "when I interviewed him it seemed to me that, if I was to believe his answers, he could barely turn on the computer or find a web page and that he did not truly inspect what was on the computer, he simply ran the program"(pg. 129)

L states that police officers interviewed were "not impartial witnesses"- claims police officers rarely are

"In my opinion, these men simply wanted to serve whatever agenda Juan Martinez had at the moment"

L talks about Dr. Kevin Horn, county medical examiner, interview (after self-defense and shot TA first claim)

-appeared "very arrogant man who just expected to be believed because he was with the 'good guys' and he was handsome and articulate"- L states- Dr. Horn didn't keep up medical research, knows little about how brain functions

-this was 1st time Dr claimed that gun shot was last "This had to be a coincidence right?", L thinks JM had something to do with DR's change sequence of events of "order of wounds"

more interviews with people who had relationships with TA:

Deanna Reid- (July 2011- in Phoenix Public Defender's office with former co-defender)- took long time to get interview

- not 1st time L met with her- early in case (summer 2010?)

-seemed "mystery" to L- "played a unique and undefined role to" TA's life

-"To hear the Hughes talk" she was "love of" TA's "life but she was not attractive enough" for TA to marry

-she was engaged to TA- went on mission- when she was back, TA engaged to someone else- she remained in TA's life-dated again- still remained friends

-seemed to L that Deanna was TA's "back-up plan"- didn't know why she was OK with this

- Deanna not interested in talking to defense- "Looking back we now know that she had something to hide....Knowing that [not interested]...we simply showed up at her house unannounced" (not uncommon for investigators to do)

-she wasn't home, but father was (L's belief-he seemed not to like TA)- then Deanna came home to L talking to father at dining rm table

-Deanna was very cautious about what she said

-- 2nd interview in office: L had more evidence- text messages, sex tape, had email that TA wrote to Hughes "in which he talked about ruining her or words to that effect"- L assumed she had sex relations with TA

-Co-counsel asked most of questions "asked these questions with tact, a tact that would later serve as Ms. Reid's excuse for not admitting that she had sexual relations with Mr. Alexander, but, tact nonetheless" (pg, 132)

"For her part Deanna Reid denied that she knew of anyone else having sex with Mr. Alexander, apart from Ms. Arias at a time when she knew full well that she did in fact have sex with Mr. Alexander"

L thought that they had sex "at least once, what else could Mr. Alexander have meant when he mentioned ruining her?"- L thought she was lying- at trial she admitted she did have sex with TA "one time"

L questions if JM told her how important it was to "cover up" sexual part of relationship?- doesn't know

L states that Deanna told a lot of "untruths to keep Mr. Aleaxander's secrets during his lifetime and that she certainly was not going to stop doing so now after he was killed"
L states Deanna not only one to cover up secrets for [TA].. she was longest.. had more to lose.. had most secrets.. needed to keep secrets.. likely harm her reputation and/or status in the Mormon community as well"

talks about Mimi Hall:

-friend of TA who TA had "romantic interest in" and who would someday be his wife (according to electronic messages with his friends) -she didn't feel that way about TA- just friends (spring 2008)

-State called Mimi to talk about "what a gentleman" TA was and that TA spoke about having "stalker"

"Though he did not name this stalker the State presumably wanted to use this evidence to argue that Ms. Arias was stalking" TA

before L met Mimi, he "had every reason to believe that she was a proper Mormon girl...followed the rules and presumed that everyone else did as well..shy person"

when he did meet her, "presumptions that I had about her were confirmed"

"...what Ms. Hall had to say solidified my opinion that Ms. Hall was the kind of girl that Mr. Alexander could be a gentlemen with because he had Ms. Arias to handle those things that a proper Mormon girl would never do. In my mind this served as pretty clear evidence that Mr. Alexander was living a double life, he was telling people that Ms. Arias was a stalker while she was serving as his sexual outlet, an outlet to satiate him while he sought our a proper wife. Just my opinion of course, but please tell me how I am wrong. 'Facts are stubborn things'. " (pg. 133)
================================================== ======

Chapter 24

The State's Interview With Ms. Arias' Actual Guilt Phase Witnesses

Daniel and Desiree Freeman- "who could speak to the way Mr. Alexander treated" the murderer- had "opportunity to see this relationship in a different light than most have"

Dr Richard Samuels- "because Ms. Arias was claiming to have some memory issues, related to the few minutes in time during which she killed Mr. Alexander"

Expert on domestic violence- because the murderer was claiming DV

"Combined, these people along with Ms. Arias herself would all be providing pieces of the puzzle that would help Ms. Wilmott and I would make the arguement that Ms. Arias was acting in self-defense" (pg. 135)

State needed to show it wasn't self-defense- "To some degree...would be attacking the conclusions of our experts"

L thought the tactics used in JM's interviews with these witnesses were designed not only to "attack" them as experts, but as people too

-- JM, in interviews, was professional, calm, listened to answers, interviews took hours- L claims "much longer than most prosecutors would take"

L claims JM disguised "the bombastic nature of the attack to come"

"It appeared to me that he thought he was getting away with something during these interviews. However, the way I saw it, his reputation proceeded him in terms of his demeanor but to his credit over an interview ....., he would manage to trip a person up and use that later. In my mind, not what a prosecutor is suppose to do but this was expected because of who we were dealing with" (pg. 135)

L talks about "a well-qualified domestic violence expert" with "a PH.D in psychology"

- expert believed that the murderer was victim of dom. abuse in relationship with TA: reviewed lots of records, used psychological testing: expert did not take stand 1st trial

- L talks about how this expert would not "give an inch" during JM's interview; made JM angry- she was in court with JM previously "this expert knew his game": expert wouldn't back down that the murderer was abused by TA

L talks about Dr. Samuels:

-longest interview that L ever saw; (L makes comment that JM worked many more hours than he did- JM worked non-stop- "the taxpayers are getting their moneys worth" re: hours JM put in for his salary ["and only in those terms"])

- L thinks Samuels is a "learned psychologist...one of the kindest and most empathetic people I know"

- L claims that JM putting words into Samuel's mouth that "would undermine his position"

-L claims that JM attacked Samuels in trial "on a personal level"

- L talks about pic that TA took of the murderer's "anus from a very close range, not her butt, but her anus"- Samuels thought/could have TA had a "anal fixation" and said to Jm in interview that he couldn't diagnosis TA because he was "deceased"- this angered JM who argued with Samuels for "several minutes" ( "meaningless" to L because Samuels wasn't going to "testify to this belief")

Prior domestic violence expert could not testify- then ALV replaced her "I liked Alyce as a person but this was not a good exchange for Ms. Arias"

-JM interviewed her for several hours- more time than with other experts (most of the time used was because of ALV's terrible handwriting- she had not type written a report

"..her conclusions were her beliefs based on what Ms. Arias had told her and we all know Ms. Arias had a history of lying" so they were not "subject to any legitimate challenge" by JM- couldn't prove ALV wrong

"What makes you, the trial watcher, so positive that Ms. LaViolette is wrong? What makes you, the trial watcher, think that you know more about domestic violence than" ALV?

L talks about the Freemans:

-just because the murderer was calling them as her witnesses, that didn't mean they were for her/against TA

- L though they just wanted to tell what they knew

-interviewed in their parent's home (L always liked going to Freeman's home- whole family kind - had a "great dog")

- JM asked Daniel about LDS religion and if he had "any romantic interest" in the murderer

"..seemed to me that Mr. Martinez was convinced that the only people who were willing to testify for Ms. Arias were those who wanted to sleep with her" (pg. 139)

End of Section 3 (pg 139)
=========================

Next:

Section 4
Preparing for the Mitigation

Chapter 25
What is the Point of the Sentencing Phase and Mitigation

Chapter 26
The Mitigation Investigation by Prior Counsel
================================================== =

Who is the author of this junk? Sure sounds like ramblings from that hideous support site... ICK!!

According to GigiG -who posted this on the Sidebar: (post 82- Sidebar # 57)

"She is all over twitter on #jodiarias with the handle "JessicaFletcher@sleuthnow," and most there are really tired of her shtick. She just refuses to go away. She recently began attacking William Pitts (a journalist for the Phoenix area NBC affiliate), who covered the JA trial. She is calling him biased. Here is a snippet:

"William Pitts ‏@william_pitts Nov 27
William Pitts Retweeted Jessica Fletcher
If you're going to accuse me of bias, you better provide specific examples. Otherwise it's just slander.

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts Nov 27
So telling you you're wrong means I'm biased? Yeah ok. @SleuthNow also, rules of professional conduct, 2.1 "

Apparently, she'd a disbarred attorney with verifiable mental problems."
----------------------------------------------------------------

And I found this:

Jessica Fletcher ‏@SleuthNow Nov 27
I'm relatively new to #jodiarias case. Did ANY local AZ reporters actually cover the case? Most seem to be "social media journalists."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back