Bosma Murder Trial 02.29.16 - Day 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now in a recess. Court is standing down until recalled.
by Adam Carter 10:49 AM

Pillay must be really hashing out with the crown what can be presented about the DNA blood forensic evidence..now court is standing down until recalled? Don't they do legal arguments on Fridays while the jury is out? Poor Jury and witnesses that take time off to be in court.

This is a very strange case I do not know if there are many like it, two defendants with two different lawyers with different goals for their clients. Both defense lawyers asking questions in such a way to point to the other defendant. Why doesn't one of them just get on the stand and testify against the other? I'm sure this is a possibility but it just seems odd for them to be sitting behind a table together while one lawyer argues over the others involvement level when one of both could easily go against the other.

This is a very strange case I do not know if there are many like it, two defendants with two different lawyers with different goals for their clients. Both defense lawyers asking questions in such a way to point to the other defendant. Why doesn't one of them just get on the stand and testify against the other? I'm sure this is a possibility but it just seems odd for them to be sitting behind a table together while one lawyer argues over the others involvement level when one of both could easily go against the other.

The Crown is still presenting its case in chief where Crown witnesses testify. When the defence gets to present their examination in chief, they can call their own witnesses. Who knows who the defence teams might put on the stand when they get their chance.

The Crown is still presenting its case in chief where Crown witnesses testify. When the defence gets to present their examination in chief, they can call their own witnesses. Who knows who the defence teams might put on the stand when they get their chance.

I understand that the trial is projected to the 4 months.
Is there any sense of how much of that time would be taken up with the Crown's presentation and then the other phases of the trial?

We're back in the courtroom now. Waiting on Justice Goodman -- still no jury yet.
by Adam Carter 11:30 AM

Just told that Justice Goodman won't be back in the courtroom until noon.
by Adam Carter 11:39 AM

Sorry folks, we don't bring 'comments' over from MSM. Comments are considered rumour. :tyou:

We all know lawyers and Crown Att's have co-counsels or assistant Crown att's. However, does anyone know if a judge has the ability to consult other judges during a trial on a matter of law, so they can make the correct ruling.

I imagine with all these legal arguments that the judge has to make decisions on, some of those decisions may be critical to preventing the eventual possibility of a mistrial or grounds for appeal. If I were the judge having to make dozens of rulings on these legal arguments each week, I would probably want to get another's opinion from time to time.

I have edited my posts on page 1 of this thread to show up in maroon. If this is too distracting/not helpful, please let me know. I was thinking the same though, Abitcountry, because when I can't follow along in real time it takes hours to get through everything.

I personally thank you for doing this!! So much easier to follow along!
:cheers:

Justice Goodman now in the courtroom. No jury yet.
by Adam Carter 12:02 PM

The jury is now being brought in.
by Adam Carter 12:15 PM

Just in time for lunch break??

@susanclairmont
We're still in legal arguments at the #Bosma trial today. Jury is on standby.
9:06 AM - 29 Feb 2016

Despite the time stamp, this was posted 10 minutes ago. Oh boy, where's Pillay. I better check the National Research Council time.

Goodman thanks the jury for their patience while legal arguments happen. "Council and I are working very hard to make sure the evidence before you is properly before you," Goodman says.
by Adam Carter 12:17 PM

The next witness is James Sloots, from the Centre for Forensic Sciences.
by Adam Carter 12:18 PM

Sloots is a forensic biologist.
by Adam Carter 12:19 PM

He authored multiple reports on DNA evidence, and examined the Bosma truck, the Eliminator and a set of Nitrile gloves that were found.
by Adam Carter 12:20 PM

Assistant Crown Craig Fraser is now going through Sloots' CV in front of the court to have him qualified as an expert.
by Adam Carter 12:22 PM

Sloots says he has given evidence in court over 35 times.
by Adam Carter 12:23 PM

Sloots is qualified as an expert by the court.
by Adam Carter 12:24 PM

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 5m5 minutes ago
Jury is now being brought in. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Judge thanks jury for its patience today. Crown now calling James Sloots, a forensic biologist with Centre of Forensic Science. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
He's been at CFS since 1991. Authored 12 reports on DNA evidence for this case. Examined #Bosma truck, The Eliminator and gloves.

Alex Pierson ‏@AlexpiersonAMP 2m2 minutes ago
Sloots analyzed Bosma truck. Eliminator. Black latex gloves. @AM900CHML #TimBosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 28s29 seconds ago
Crown Craig Fraser is now qualifying Sloots as an expert witness. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 1m1 minute ago
Sloots examined #Bosma truck, the incinerator and black nitrile gloves. He is an expert in DNA profiles from bodily fluids.

Colin Butler ‏@ColinButlerCBC 38s39 seconds ago
Sloots has written 12 reports on this case, examined the #Bosma truck, the Eliminator and black rubber gloves seized by police

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 14s15 seconds ago
In this case Sloots wrote 12 reports. Was involved w examination of #Bosma truck, the Eliminator, & among other things black nitrile gloves

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 40s40 seconds ago
Sloots has testified in court before regarding body fluids and DNA. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 27s27 seconds ago
Crown now going through his qualifications. #Bosma

Wow! I took last week off from following the trial as I was on the west coast for business....and it doesn't look like I missed much at all!!! What a long, drawn out week with little new evidence. It took me about 5 minutes to catch up and another 20 to make sure I really had read everything new. :D

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 39s39 seconds ago
Has been qualified over 35 times to give opinion evidence, including at homicide trials. Defence has no issue with qualifying Sloots.

Alex Pierson ‏@AlexpiersonAMP 1m1 minute ago
sloots is an expert of interpreting bodily fluids and DNA.
@AM900CHML #TimBosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 15s15 seconds ago
Sloots is explaining publicly funded lab that is CFS. Items submitted by public investigators: ie police, fire marshall, coroners.

The CFS is a publicly funded lab financed by the province. It exists to examine items sent to them by investigative bodies like police, the Fire Marshal, etc.
by Adam Carter 12:26 PM

They generate DNA profiles from body fluids in order to look for matches.
by Adam Carter 12:26 PM

The CFS is a "world accredited" lab, Sloots says. There are two or three more in Canada.
by Adam Carter 12:27 PM

Defence council can also work with the CFS, Sloots says.
by Adam Carter 12:29 PM

Sloots started working on the case in May of 2013. He wrote 12 different reports on it.
by Adam Carter 12:29 PM

The first was written on May 14, 2013. The last was written on Sept. 11, 2015.
by Adam Carter 12:30 PM

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 21s21 seconds ago
Sloots is qualified as an expert witness in forensic biology. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
CFS also trains investigators and does research. It's a world accredited lab. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 44s45 seconds ago
CFS also does toxicology, chemistry, firearms, etc. #Bosma Also does work for defence lawyers...Sloots joined this case in May 2013.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 30s30 seconds ago
Sloots explaining the Centre of Forensic Sciences. His section, biology, deals w blood, bodily fluids, DNA profiles. #Bosma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07