BP Oil Spill Approaching Gulf Coast

I've lived in Louisiana all of my life. My heart is breaking for so many right now. Gosh, the 11 lives that were lost----tragic! The jobs that will be lost----tragic! The wildlife that will suffer---tragic!

As far as the seafood, it is an everyday thing down here to eat seafood. We love it and are not accustomed to doing without it. But, we will survive. Gulf coast people are tough.

I've had 3 fried shrimp Poboys this week. It's my favorite meal. I normally try to limit fried food, but I know I will be missing them soon enough.

Survivors of last week's massive oil rig explosion have told ABC News that alarms meant to warn them of an imminent blast never sounded, and oil industry experts now agree that a critical failsafe needed to prevent the blast and the subsequent spill didn't work.
Deepwater Horizon rig workers say there was no alarm before the first blast.

They were two crucial safeguards that failed during the chain reaction that left 11 workers on the Deepwater Horizon dead and led to what some now believe could be the worst oil rig disaster in U.S. history.

"It was chaos," survivor Dewayne Martinez told ABC News. "Nothing went as planned, like it was supposed to."

(snip)

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/deepw...bc-news-alarm-sounded-blast/story?id=10578389

Here we go lies and more lies. I think if we start locking more of these big wigs up they might start taking responsibility for what they all did. Money means nothing to them because it's our money. Let them spend some time in prison and think about what they did.

http://tinyurl.com/3a4tt5w

If you could punish the Executives from BP, Transocean and Halliburton what would your sentence be?

I would make them spend their days helping wash the animals and help with the clean up and nights sharing a prison cell with the biggest, baddest, men in there.

I used to live in Saudi Arabia during the Iran/Iraq war. I lived right on the Arabian Sea/Persian Gulf. Are there not enough of the boats that scrape the crude oil off the surface of water at least until a permanent solution can be found? We used to watch tankers and oil rigs burn on the horizon during that war. I shudder think how much oil was actually spilled. We had people (that were paid) with rakes scraping up what made it to the beaches. I am just curious about whats going on.

People lost their lives on that oil rig that exploded and subsequently cause this leak and I think people are forgetting about that and that is sad. What I find truly disgusting is that animals lives are becoming more important than human life. This was an horiffic accident not a coinspiracy for people to get rich. Most unfortunately none of us would have jobs if was not for rich people so I am tired hearing how it is the rich oil companies and the rich peoples fault ever time something happens. CARP happens!

In regards to people getting tired of this story that is not true what people are tired of is over-zealous environmentalists:furious:.

The people of Louisiana are very resiliant and so is earth... They will both survive this and to Cajuns, you guys are in my prayers.

JMO!

I used to live in Saudi Arabia during the Iran/Iraq war. I lived right on the Arabian Sea/Persian Gulf. Are there not enough of the boats that scrape the crude oil off the surface of water at least until a permanent solution can be found? We used to watch tankers and oil rigs burn on the horizon during that war. I shudder think how much oil was actually spilled. We had people (that were paid) with rakes scraping up what made it to the beaches. I am just curious about whats going on.

People lost their lives on that oil rig that exploded and subsequently cause this leak and I think people are forgetting about that and that is sad. What I find truly disgusting is that animals lives are becoming more important than human life. This was an horiffic accident not a coinspiracy for people to get rich. Most unfortunately none of us would have jobs if was not for rich people so I am tired hearing how it is the rich oil companies and the rich peoples fault ever time something happens. CARP happens!

In regards to people getting tired of this story that is not true what people are tired of is over-zealous environmentalists:furious:.

The people of Louisiana are very resiliant and so is earth... They will both survive this and to Cajuns, you guys are in my prayers.

JMO!

Then who's fault is it? The people of Louisianan or Mississippi or anybody who uses gas? Or maybe we should blame the fish and the birds, how dare they live around a man made oil rig. It is the oil companies fault and they are paying ten million dollars daily, because of it. Now the executives want a cap on how much they should pay. In other words the tax payers should once again pick up the tab for these irresponsible money grubbing executives. There are 11 people who did not survive and their families will pay forever. There are countless, birds and sea life that will not survive. The people of Louisiana and Mississippi are not so resilient because they have to sue once again to survive this tragedy.They are now hoping it won't take another 10 years as it did with the Exxon Valdez nightmare, to settle this case. A lot of them may lose their homes and businesses, that is not o.k. I pray also, but until they come up with a way to stop the leak I feel my prayers are not being answered. It won't do any good to scape the top when oil is spewing out onto the bottom floor. It is taking a toll on the Earth because all the reefs are being spoiled, we don't know what spices are being affected, those reefs slow down hurricanes, hopefully they will have the wall complete before the June hurricane season starts.

Then who's fault is it? The people of Louisianan or Mississippi or anybody who uses gas? Or maybe we should blame the fish and the birds, how dare they live around a man made oil rig. It is the oil companies fault and they are paying ten million dollars daily, because of it. Now the executives want a cap on how much they should pay. In other words the tax payers should once again pick up the tab for these irresponsible money grubbing executives. There are 11 people who did not survive and their families will pay forever. There are countless, birds and sea life that will not survive. The people of Louisiana and Mississippi are not so resilient because they have to sue once again to survive this tragedy.They are now hoping it won't take another 10 years as it did with the Exxon Valdez nightmare, to settle this case. A lot of them may lose their homes and businesses, that is not o.k. I pray also, but until they come up with a way to stop the leak I feel my prayers are not being answered. It won't do any good to scape the top when oil is spewing out onto the bottom floor. It is taking a toll on the Earth because all the reefs are being spoiled, we don't know what spices are being affected, those reefs slow down hurricanes, hopefully they will have the wall complete before the June hurricane season starts.

Yes, actually we all share responsibility for being caught with our pants down. I hate to find out (at this late of a date) that we, as a country, did not have a plan to deal with this situation. We too are responsible because we are dependent on oil and lots of things derived from it. I'm not going to get banned for being snarky so I'll just put it this way I still haven't heard answers to my questions. Were we as country not prepared for oil pipeline ruptures when we authorized any form of drilling on land or at sea? We are oil dependent here and everyone can jump on the band wagon about the evil oil companies but that doesn't change the fact that we weren't prepared.

Now as far removing the oil as it comes up those boats are your best bet for saving the beaches and all the wetlands on shore. Ofcourse that's not going to fix the leak but for godsakes get off the oil companies. They drill and we use it. Besides driving by a BP gas station doesn't do any good. They also own ARCO, AMPM, Castrol (motor oil) and then there are all the shareholders...

https://amadeus.bvdep.com/amadeus/top20/report_2.htm

I'm not saying that the oil company isn't to blame but so is an entire list of people and companies as well as our own goverment inspectors.

BTW I certainly never said anything about "fish and the birds, how dare they live around a man made oil rig"...

I don't feel like getting banned over this and if you were offended "I'm sorry."

Common Induction Process
Everybody who works offshore within the UK sector of the North Sea offshore industry is required to undertake this induction course. They must additionally have a valid offshore medical certificate and complete the Basic Safety Induction & Emergency Training programme, known as BOSIET. This will train them in areas such as helicopter escape, personal survival, the use of life crafts, first aid post evacuation, fire fighting and how to use breathing apparatus etc.

There will be other regulations in place depending on the nature of the job. For example, you might be working at height as an abseiler inspecting rigs so the usual regulations concerning working at height would also need to be adhered to.

You might be amazed to discover just how serious health and safety issues are to those who operate and work on oil rigs so much so that rules are so stringently adhered to that working offshore is probably one of the safest places to work these days because of all the safety regulations and procedures that have been put into place. Inspectors from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) visit oil platforms regularly and even seemingly minor accidents like a cut finger, for example, will be vigorously noted and the causes investigated to come up with strategies for making the working environment even safer. Obviously, if there have been any incidents of a more serious nature, the HSE does have the power to prosecute companies if they have failed to abide by the various health and safety regulations applicable to work offshore.

I hope this negligent mishap will force the executives to take every precaution available to stop this from happening again. According to the current administration by 2016 all cars will have a significant reduction for a need for oil. If it can be done by Disney World who has been working on this problem for many years, then it can be done by car manufacturers as well as home owners.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/promise/440/reduce-dependence-on-foreign-oil/

Here is an additional article on Walt Disney efforts to prove we don't need oil in cars.
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...evrolet_equinox_fuel_cell_vehicles/index.html

KEY WEST -- Park rangers found traces of oil residue from the Dry Tortugas to Key West and a new computer model forecast an ominous ring of black oil encircling the Florida peninsula next week, stoking fears Tuesday that fallout from the massive BP oil spill had reached Florida.

The Coast Guard urged calm, saying it would not be known until later this week whether the three- to eight-inch flattened tar balls found Monday at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park was from the Gulf of Mexico disaster or perhaps oil remnants from a passing ship. Coast Guard pollution control experts sent samples to their lab in Groton, Conn., for analysis.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/18/1635164/coast-guard-urges-calm-over-tar.html#ixzz0oJcLbdKV

What oil? Over here they're telling us it's Chocolate Milk and Rainbows. :innocent:

And Phil Bryant tells us that we DON'T smell the oil, we must be confused. He says we're probably smelling "the oil from our own lawnmowers"

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/05/12/2177006/bryant-doesnt-smell-the-oil.html

I wrote Phil Bryant to tell him that a) I don't own a lawn mower, since I live in an apartment about a mile from the beach. and b) even if I DID have a lawn mower, there is no way the smell would extend 10-15 miles down the coast on a south east wind, and all of my neighbors across the coast simultaneously smell our lawn mower oil at the same time.

Listen, make no mistake about this, almost ALL of us are dependent on oil. I drive a car, too. I usually walk to work because it's so close, but soon I will be working about 10 miles from my home, and will be unable to do that anymore. I'm not claiming to be an innocent party. I also drive a Blazer, because I move large paintings around. I use oil.

But I certainly don't like being lied to by my local politicians, and people telling me what I DO or DO NOT smell. I'm not an idiot. I'm not smelling anyone's lawn mower for hours on end. Just because Gene Taylor thinks it looks like "chocolate milk and rainbows" doesn't make it so. And I DON'T like that BP came to Louisiana and South MS and had people who are desperate for work, not to mention the shrimpers who are functionally illiterate (many of the Vietnamese population can't read English, either) sign contracts saying that they wouldn't sue before the shrimpers were hired to work. (Thankfully, these were voided by BP when the news hit). They bullied them using fear....fear of being put out of house and home, and feeding their families.

I also feel we were lied to about the initial amount of oil the leak was producing. First it was only 1,000 gallons a day. Then 5,000. Then 25,000. Now I'm hearing reports of 70,000?

I just want the truth. Most of us have "oil" on our hands, since we all use the oil. But I also feel like we have the technology today to make a safer form of energy more widely available to the public, but lobbyists and politicians are not finished lining their pockets and playing the oil game, so no one backs it enough to make it readily available. I think that if most Americans were offered a more mainstream, safer alternative that was affordable, we would all jump right in. It's partly our fault for doing what is "convenient" to us, I guess.

I just don't think that means it is okay to lie to us about the magnitude of the spill, or try to convince us of what we are or aren't seeing, and smelling.

People that aren't from the coast probably won't understand how important the seafood industry is to our economy, to our people, to our community. Also the tourism we get, that also supports our community. We're already taking a big hit, and we haven't even felt the full effect of this leak.

I personally signed up to volunteer the day they called for help. It's the least I can do, because I love my coast SO much. I don't just live here, I USE the coast. I fish often, I live near the beach and bay is practically in my "back yard". I sketch the boats in the harbor, I get ice cream and watch the shrimpers nap on their cots in the shade, selling their days catch. I watch the alligators, herons, dolphins, and the pelicans. I fly kites on the beach and try to snag red fish hanging around the oyster beds. This is place is my home.

Sorry for the long winded rant. Just needed to get all of that out. It weighs heavy on you when it consumes every news report, every conversation, every thought. Not long ago Katrina was a constant on everyone's tongue. It seems like we just got over that...

babycat, my heart is heavy for you. "Chocolate milk & rainbows" really, really ticks me off!!!!! Excuses, lies, & damn lies got old soon after the incident (I cannot call it an accident).

It appears our little piece of the gulf, east of Tyndall AFB, may escape major damage so we are planning to volunteer over your way. Meanwhile, there is a bit of "survivor's guilt" here.

Pic made from upper deck about 15 minutes ago, inset the day after the rig incident. Everday has been overshadowed with fear & dread. Looming damage to the beauty of the gulf region is bad enough, but the environmental & ecological disaster may last generations...... prayers ascending regularly.
]
DSC00164p2.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77