Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I could be there too! I am in my heart though!
I can't wait to hear about today! Mighty Mick has made such a difference in so many lives! And she will forever!

Great to be hearing from you chickenfried! Your friends here on WS have been wondering about you! Welcome home! :)

I am going to try to go to the ghost bike presentation if the rain holds off. I will be wearing my "Ragin Cajun" red t-shirt with Mickey on her bike in outline on it.
I will try to take pics and post them here (even though I don't know the first thing about posting pics on WS, so this will be a learning experience for sure).

A bike would be great. Hey, I'm wearing black work boots, dark blue jeans, long-sleeve black button-down, white stripes, untucked. Sorry I didn't communicate earlier! Hope to see you there.

RE: Hey, I'm wearing black work boots, dark blue jeans, long-sleeve black button-down, white stripes, untucked.

Skinny jeans?

http://www.facebook.com/katctv3?fref=ts

KATC-TV 3: Acadiana's Newschannel
about an hour ago
Happening Now at Parc International: Mickey Shunick's friends and family celebrate her life, and everyone involved in bringing her home. We'll have more coming up on tonight's broadcast.

Photo of Stage & Ghost Bike
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...968.99090.61662826968&type=1&relevant_count=1

NewsTalk 96.5 KPEL
http://www.facebook.com/kpel965

City-Parish President Joey Durel announced his intention to have a portion of Bertrand going toward the Horse Farm rededicated as a bike lane and named 'Mickey Way'.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHifEY9_NWs"]RIP Mickey Shunick - YouTube[/ame]

Americas culture of gun violence strikes again with yet another innocent life lost.

Any chance the USA will evolve into the 21st century or will they remain stuck in the 1700's and keep hanging on to their ridiculous 'constitution'?

RIP Mickey

Americas culture of gun violence strikes again with yet another innocent life lost.

Any chance the USA will evolve into the 21st century or will they remain stuck in the 1700's and keep hanging on to their ridiculous 'constitution'?

RIP Mickey

The gun that Brandon used was one he had illegally. As a felon, he could not own/buy a gun. It's not like he walked into a store and legally bought it. He obtained it and possessed it illegally as a felon. Even if guns were completely outlawed in the US, I suspect people like BSL and others would still find illegal ways to obtain them (as he did in this instance).

The state of Vermont, which has some of the most lax gun laws in the country (you don't need a conceal and carry license to conceal and carry- even Louisiana requires this license...only 3 other states besides Vermont do not) has consistently ranked last or near the bottom in murder rates in the past decade. I'm not sure the problem in Americam culture is guns but lack of opportunities/education, poverty, psychopathy (as in Mickey's perps case; certainly not a US-only phenomenon), poor public mental health services, and a whole host of other factors that vary from case to case, state to state and city to city in the US. Something with the American culture, yes, but not necessarily something with American gun culture.

Rain didn't hold up here for me to make it out to the ghost bike presentation. I'm really sad about it. I will go by the pocket park and ghost bike later. :(

Rest in peace, Mighty Mickey. You are a hero who helped get BSL off the streets and keep other women safe from him.

Bike was just placed.
Rest in peace Mickey.

I plan to go visit it when everyone's gone. Another day.

I must say I was sad at the turn out. Not that many people. Far less than the vigil. But yet there were tons of people drinking beer and tail gating at the football field.

RIP Mickey

The gun that Brandon used was one he had illegally. As a felon, he could not own/buy a gun. It's not like he walked into a store and legally bought it. He obtained it and possessed it illegally as a felon. Even if guns were completely outlawed in the US, I suspect people like BSL and others would still find illegal ways to obtain them (as he did in this instance).

The state of Vermont, which has some of the most lax gun laws in the country (you don't need a conceal and carry license to conceal and carry- even Louisiana requires this license...only 3 other states besides Vermont do not) has consistently ranked last or near the bottom in murder rates in the past decade. I'm not sure the problem in Americam culture is guns but lack of opportunities/education, poverty, psychopathy (as in Mickey's perps case; certainly not a US-only phenomenon), poor public mental health services, and a whole host of other factors that vary from case to case, state to state and city to city in the US. Something with the American culture, yes, but not necessarily something with American gun culture.

Rain didn't hold up here for me to make it out to the ghost bike presentation. I'm really sad about it. I will go by the pocket park and ghost bike later. :(

Rest in peace, Mighty Mickey. You are a hero who helped get BSL off the streets and keep other women safe from him.

Well said ktgirl

Ozsleuth, if mickey had been concealed carrying more than likely her life would have been saved. She nearly killed BSL anyway so I strongly believe she would have lived had she had a gun. Then we wouldn't have to pay for BSLs upkeep for the rest of his life. Stricter gun laws keep guns away from law abiding citizens, not criminals because after all criminals dont give one crap about the law. A gun in the hands of a well trained law abiding citizens hands is simply protection. A criminal will always be able to obtain a gun so taking away our constititutional right will just give the criminals one more leg up. And as you can see from all the missing and unidentified persons on WS, thats the last thing we need.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I truly wish I could have been there today. I am saddened to hear there wasnt a bigger turnout. I was there in my heart. I truly feel for her family today

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Let it rain! Enjoy riding your bike along the majestic trails in heaven, Mickey, for there you have no evil lurking amongst you.

Eric Clapton "Let it Rain"

The rain is falling through the mist of sorrow that surrounded me.
the sun could never thaw away the the bliss that lays around me.
Let it rain, let it rain,
let your love rain down on me.
let it rain, let it rain,
let it rain, rain, rain.
Her life was like a desert flower burning in the sun.
until i found the way to love, it's harder said than done.
Chorus
Now i know the secret; there is nothing that i lack.
if i give my love to you, you'll surely give it back.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3WxjnjJ80"]Let it rain- Eric Clapton. - YouTube[/ame]

What a nice, loving, community send-off for Mickey.

The rain held off during the key points: the remarks, the bike ride, and the park dedication. Thank you, Lord.

The key takeaway for me was the sense of community - of strength - of the power of goodness that is in so many people.

About 4 o'clock, after the bands had finished, I don't know how many - maybe a couple hundred? - cyclists left the park downtown and retraced Mickey's route. You had people of all ages - kids with training wheels, and older folks as well. The police did a great job with a rolling roadblock all the way. The streets belonged to those on two wheels. The streets look so different from the seat of a bike. The beautiful old cathedral- the trees and cracks and differing shades of pavement. All along the route, quite a few people stood outside their houses, holding candles, a few teary-eyed. Many folks stood at intersections taking video and photos. The peloton got pretty quiet as we passed the old hospital... yet the strength in the numbers of folks supporting the family dispelled any sense of melancholy - that ride was definitely a celebration.

Dismounting at Coliseum Road, one could see all the way back down St. Landry to the traffic signal shining in the distance at University. We gathered round and they mounted one of Mickey's old bikes - painted clean white - at the new park site. Folks had planted some nice crepe myrtles, and various flowers and plants around. Led by Mickey's friend Josh Coen, the little kids came forward and on the count of three released dozens of gorgeous orange and black monarch butterflies. Applause and cheers arose at the sight of the first, fluttering over our heads, as the others fanned their wings in preparation for flight. As Josh thanked the people for coming, a butterfly landed on his head and refused to leave. The same happened with another friend - a large, red-bearded fellow whose name I didn't catch - who had a monarch on his beard. This fellow asked the crowd to look at all the little "caterpillars" up front - the children - and exhorted us to work together to raise them into beautiful butterflies, like Mickey.

Something that really warmed my heart was to see Mickey's bike - fixed like new - gold rims shining despite the overcast - with her mother, Nancy, riding it.

Once again, I am so proud of our community for caring so selflessly about this priceless girl who didn't come home, and of so many from around the world who never met her, but did their part.

Bless you all. How wonderful people can be.... :heartbeat:

The rain held off during the key points: the remarks, the bike ride, and the park dedication. Thank you, Lord.

The key takeaway for me was the sense of community - of strength - of the power of goodness that is in so many people.

About 4 o'clock, after the bands had finished, I don't know how many - maybe a couple hundred? - cyclists left the park downtown and retraced Mickey's route. You had people of all ages - kids with training wheels, and older folks as well. The police did a great job with a rolling roadblock all the way. The streets belonged to those on two wheels. The streets look so different from the seat of a bike. The beautiful old cathedral- the trees and cracks and differing shades of pavement. All along the route, quite a few people stood outside their houses, holding candles, a few teary-eyed. Many folks stood at intersections taking video and photos. The peloton got pretty quiet as we passed the old hospital... yet the strength in the numbers of folks supporting the family dispelled any sense of melancholy - that ride was definitely a celebration.

Dismounting at Coliseum Road, one could see all the way back down St. Landry to the traffic signal shining in the distance at University. We gathered round and they mounted one of Mickey's old bikes - painted clean white - at the new park site. Folks had planted some nice crepe myrtles, and various flowers and plants around. Led by Mickey's friend Josh Coen, the little kids came forward and on the count of three released dozens of gorgeous orange and black monarch butterflies. Applause and cheers arose at the sight of the first, fluttering over our heads, as the others fanned their wings in preparation for flight. As Josh thanked the people for coming, a butterfly landed on his head and refused to leave. The same happened with another friend - a large, red-bearded fellow whose name I didn't catch - who had a monarch on his beard. This fellow asked the crowd to look at all the little "caterpillars" up front - the children - and exhorted us to work together to raise them into beautiful butterflies, like Mickey.

Something that really warmed my heart was to see Mickey's bike - fixed like new - gold rims shining despite the overcast - with her mother, Nancy, riding it.

Once again, I am so proud of our community for caring so selflessly about this priceless girl who didn't come home, and of so many from around the world who never met her, but did their part.

Thank you so much for this, Chicken Fried.

What a beautiful reminder that there are so very many more of the good people out there than the monsters like BSL. And good will always triumph in the end.

RIP Mickey.

Also....A friend who lost her mother was told by someone who was "sensitive" or psychic that her mother sent butterflies around the friend.

I know the butterflies were brought by the organizers, but the fact that a few of them landed on Josh & another of Mickey's friends makes me believe (or want to believe) that Mighty Mickey was expressing her approval of the beautiful celebration and bike ride when those butterflies landed on her friends and didn't want to fly off of her friends. Like saying a quick "I love you, thank you. Good job. I am stopping here to tell you I am thankful for you before I fly away into the sky."

Fly away Mickey.

Chickenfried, I sure have missed you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members