BREAKING Capitol police: US Capitol in lockdown, reports of gunshots, injured officer

wounded_helicopter_AP.jpg

I love how Fox worded this:
Vehicle involved in Capitol Hill Shooting is now being processed.

This sure puts a spin (IMO) on who did the shooting.

Wonder if it was a car theft....and the lady panicked...that seems a little far fetched but maybe.... It was a pretty nice Lexus. I just hope the child is okay (mentally as well as physically)

If these officers were not being paid, were they technically on duty?
I am wondering about the legalities of this?

NBC News reports the 34-year-old female suspect is dead, and that the car she drove had Connecticut license plates.

I wonder if that now means they know who she was?

Anyone reported missing recently in Connecticut?

One of the MSM reported some time ago that they were executing a search warrant on a house in Connecticut. I think they will let us know who she is soon.

Government Shutdown, no pay.

Legally this could be argued I am sure (especially by any victims), don't know how it would turn out since it is Whitehouse staff though. And, really, anyone think the Whitehouse staff is not getting paid?

So, probably on duty with pay.

IIRC, essential government workers, like the Capitol Police, are required to show up for work, even if they're not being paid. It's in the contract they sign when they accept employment. So they're working without pay.

With a hurricane forecast to hit the gulf coast on Saturday, FEMA workers are also being recalled to work, without pay. NOAA workers are tracking the tornado without pay.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/fema-workers-recalled-furlough-storm-prep-20459941

Republicans have been working in Congress to deny back pay to these workers once the shut-down ends, but they haven't been successful.

http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits...ort-retroactive-pay-shutdown-furloughs/70970/

IIRC, essential government workers, like the Capitol Police, are required to show up for work, even if they're not being paid. It's in the contract they sign when they accept employment. So they're working without pay.

With a hurricane forecast to hit the gulf coast on Saturday, FEMA workers are also being recalled to work, without pay. NOAA workers are tracking the tornado without pay.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/fema-workers-recalled-furlough-storm-prep-20459941

Republicans have been working in Congress to deny back pay to these workers once the shut-down ends, but they haven't been successful.

http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits...ort-retroactive-pay-shutdown-furloughs/70970/

Report that i have heard are that they may not be paid now but in the past shutdown they paid the workers once it was lifted

What would happen if they refused to show up to work? Is it legal to ask people to work for free?

What would happen if they refused to show up to work? Is it legal to ask people to work for free?

It's legal if you work in an essential job for the federal government. With states or local government YMMV.

I have a friend who works for a federal prison, they are required to show up for work, even if they're not getting paid.

One area of concern - so much government work has been subcontracted to the beltway bandits - government contractors. AFAIK, they are not required to show up. In fact, media reports indicate many of the subcontractors have been terminated from their jobs as a result of the budget standoff.

Report that i have heard are that they may not be paid now but in the past shutdown they paid the workers once it was lifted

Yep...that's what happened after the Clinton shutdown.... Hopefully everyone will eventually get paid. (Duct taping my fingers together lest I type something that would send me to Band Camp)

It's legal if you work in an essential job for the federal government. With states or local government YMMV.

I have a friend who works for a federal prison, they are required to show up for work, even if they're not getting paid.

One area of concern - so much government work has been subcontracted to the beltway bandits - government contractors. AFAIK, they are not required to show up. In fact, media reports indicate many of the subcontractors have been terminated from their jobs as a result of the budget standoff.

Do they receive back pay later on?
Benefits? How do they pay their bills? That's scary.

Any updates or reports why a mother would try to ram the gates with a child in her car?
Something seems really odd about this whole story.
Why didn't they just shoot out her tires- why shoot her? They could have hit the child.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back