Breaking News Thread 8/19

Investigators considered Karr 5 years ago
2001 CHILD *advertiser censored* CHARGES: Sheriff officials mentioned possibility

(08-19) 04:00 PDT Washington -- Five years before John Mark Karr was arrested this week as a suspect in the killing of JonBenet Ramsey, Sonoma County authorities investigating him on child *advertiser censored* charges suspected he may have been involved in the death of the 6-year-old, according to a former attorney for the suspect.

Marie Case, who represented Karr on the 2001 misdemeanor charges, said Friday that members of the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department mentioned to her at the time that "there was possibly some involvement" in the Ramsey slaying 1,200 miles away in Boulder, Colo. -- "just saying, 'Hey, we're looking at this guy.' "

The old suspicions about Karr, 41, emerged Friday as one of his former wives combed through old family photos, mementos and financial records to establish whether Karr was with his family on Dec. 26, 1996, the day the girl's battered body was discovered. Karr told reporters this week that he was with JonBenet when she died.

Michael Rains, an attorney for Lara Knutson, who was married to Karr for a dozen years until late 2001, said Friday that she is looking for tangible evidence to reinforce -- or perhaps refute -- her memory that her then-husband spent that day after Christmas with her and their three sons in Alabama, where they lived at the time.

On Thursday, the Boulder district attorney said law enforcement officials are continuing to evaluate evidence.

Case said that she did not know the depth of the investigators' suspicion in 2001 that her client could have had a role in JonBenet's death. But she said it "seemed somebody dropped the ball." She said that she was not contacted by law enforcement officials from Boulder and that no one sought to test her client's DNA to determine whether it matched evidence from the Colorado crime. "It never went anywhere," she said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/19/MNGICKLEUC1.DTL&feed=rss.news

Buzzm1 said:
Investigators considered Karr 5 years ago
2001 CHILD *advertiser censored* CHARGES: Sheriff officials mentioned possibility

(08-19) 04:00 PDT Washington -- Five years before John Mark Karr was arrested this week as a suspect in the killing of JonBenet Ramsey, Sonoma County authorities investigating him on child *advertiser censored* charges suspected he may have been involved in the death of the 6-year-old, according to a former attorney for the suspect.

Marie Case, who represented Karr on the 2001 misdemeanor charges, said Friday that members of the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department mentioned to her at the time that "there was possibly some involvement" in the Ramsey slaying 1,200 miles away in Boulder, Colo. -- "just saying, 'Hey, we're looking at this guy.' "

The old suspicions about Karr, 41, emerged Friday as one of his former wives combed through old family photos, mementos and financial records to establish whether Karr was with his family on Dec. 26, 1996, the day the girl's battered body was discovered. Karr told reporters this week that he was with JonBenet when she died.

Michael Rains, an attorney for Lara Knutson, who was married to Karr for a dozen years until late 2001, said Friday that she is looking for tangible evidence to reinforce -- or perhaps refute -- her memory that her then-husband spent that day after Christmas with her and their three sons in Alabama, where they lived at the time.

On Thursday, the Boulder district attorney said law enforcement officials are continuing to evaluate evidence.

Case said that she did not know the depth of the investigators' suspicion in 2001 that her client could have had a role in JonBenet's death. But she said it "seemed somebody dropped the ball." She said that she was not contacted by law enforcement officials from Boulder and that no one sought to test her client's DNA to determine whether it matched evidence from the Colorado crime. "It never went anywhere," she said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/19/MNGICKLEUC1.DTL&feed=rss.news

Thanks Buzz, that confirms what I thought. Boulder autohorities did not know the identity of the sender of the emails until they trailed the person who had picked up a set-up photo they had mailed to a P.O. box in Thailand, after which they determined his true identity, John Mark Karr.

Arrest brings JonBenet story full-circle

Ten years later, it is a blur of morbid fascination and speculation, of gross misjudgments and disturbing suspicions, a torrent of bold type and flashing images that makes it difficult to remember the dark winter stillness in which it all started.

It was 5:22 a.m., the morning after Christmas, 1996 — the moment the story of JonBenet Ramsey simultaneously ended and began.

In the 15-room Tudor home at 755 15th St., Patsy Ramsey picked up the phone and dialed 911. Please help, she implored the Boulder, Colo., police dispatcher; someone had stolen her little girl.

When police officers arrived at the home in the upscale Chautauqua neighborhood, not far from the University of Colorado campus, they were told they were looking for a 6-year-old with shining eyes and flowing blonde hair, a diminutive beauty queen. They studied a ransom note found inside.

"Mr. Ramsey: Listen Carefully!" it began. "At this time we have your daughter in our possession. She is safe and unharmed, and if you want to see her in 1997, you must follow our instructions ..."

In that moment, the case, horrific as it was, was at least fairly straightforward. By afternoon, even that dubious bit of reassurance would be lost.

Nearly a decade has passed since then. But the uproar unleashed this past week by the arrest in Thailand of John Mark Karr, a 41-year-old itinerant teacher who says he killed JonBenet, makes it clear that fascination with the case, while it may have ebbed over time, has never really diminished.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060819/ap_on_re_us/jonbenet_ramsey_looking_back

MSNBC: Karr will arrive at LAX 8:40pm PST tomorrow (Aug 20)

Buzzm1 said:
I would just bet LAX airport is going to be loaded with reporters hoping to get a picture, and a word, or two.

LOL....No doubt Buzz, no doubt

Linda7NJ said:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4929501,00.html

The man suspected of killing JonBenet Ramsey may have operated a Web site for troubled kids and posted dozens of notes on Internet message boards for young people - some asking them about sex - in the months before JonBenet's death.

The messages were posted by a man who identified himself as John Karr, a 31-year-old with three children who planned to start college as an elementary-education major and work as a substitute teacher in the fall of 1996.

more at link
"May have?" It was 100% him.
The print media is so slow re this stuff. The truth about PowerWurks and Karr's involvement in it has been widely known via the crime blogs for the last 3 days!

Buzzm1 said:
I would just bet LAX airport is going to be loaded with reporters hoping to get a picture, and a word, or two.
Cripes i hope the landing system fix at LAX is successful.

JBean said:
Cripes i hope the landing system fix at LAX is successful.
If not they will divert to San Diego, and maybe give you a chance to report (for us) directly from the airport. Keep your fingers crossed. LOL

Buzzm1 said:
If not they will divert to San Diego, and maybe give you a chance to report (for us) directly from the airport. Keep your fingers crossed. LOL
I am sending scouting parties to both airports.

Hi Wudge,

I also heard on MSNBC this morning that Karr was writing to Patsy Ramsey but she didn't receive these mails. The DA {they actually said police but think that might be wrong} was actually recieving them and responding back to Karr. I think this went on for quite awhile.

I wonder how that worked and if they used Tracy to somehow divert these mails. Guess I'm assuming they were emails.

Scandi

I wonder if she got the first email and then forwarded it to the police to get the others. In which case she could have read a lengthy first email.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=2332514&page=1
Could John Mark Karr Have Lying Disorder?

Aug. 19, 2006 — John Mark Karr's stunning confession that he was "with JonBenet when she died" has generated as many questions as it has headlines. The most pressing: Could Karr be making the whole thing up

snip

Karr may suffer from factitious disorder, according to Dr. Marc Feldman, a psychiatrist who co-authored the books "Patient or Pretender: Inside the Strange World of Factitious Disorders," "The Spectrum of Factitious Disorders," and "Stranger Than Fiction: When Our Minds Betray Us." The condition leads someone to construct a false reality — sometimes to the extent that they begin to believe their own lies.

Karr's life combed for clues to slaying
High school writings scrutinized by police

Published on: 08/20/06

As John Mark Karr prepares to return to the United States, possibly as early as Sunday, a clearer picture of his life is emerging, on the East and West coasts.

In Atlanta, he saw his father's two marriages fail and later worked with him on rehabbing houses.

Later, in Petaluma, Calif., where Karr, now 41, lived with his second wife and three sons, the man who claims he killed JonBenet Ramsey told police he was researching the slaying of a 12-year-old girl.

Out of nowhere, Karr, who has been living in Thailand, admitted Wednesday to killing JonBenet, a 6-year-old beauty princess found dead in her family's Bounder, Colo., home in 1996.

Investigators are seizing on every possible clue — possibly coded writing in a high school yearbook, and reports that Karr operated a Web site that masqueraded as a haven for troubled or runaway children. They're testing Karr's DNA to see whether it matches material under JonBenet's fingernails or the stains on her underwear.

The soft-spoken, slightly built former schoolteacher returns to a nation wild with speculation on whether he is truly a cold-blooded killer or a child-obsessed crackpot seeking a bizarre spotlight.

His own childhood began in metro Atlanta.

His father, Wexford Karr, married Patricia Elaine Adcock on Aug. 21, 1958. He was 37 and she was 18, according to court documents.

Their union produced two sons, Michael and John, who was born Dec. 12, 1964.

The couple separated 11 years after they married, and Wexford Karr filed for divorce in 1973 in Clayton County, saying the marriage was "irretrievably broken" and that the boys were in his custody. His wife received a $5,000 mobile home and $125 a month in alimony, according to court papers.

Soon after, Wexford Karr, then 52, married a woman 23 years his junior, Susan Simpson. But his union with the 29-year-old burned out in divorce six months later.

John Mark Karr moved to Alabama to live with grandparents when he was about 12. He grew up in Hamilton, a town of 7,000, graduating from the local high school.

Karr's inscription in a 1982 yearbook from the high school is among the items drawing investigators' attention, according to the Rocky Mountain News.

The yearbook entry ends with Karr writing in capital block letters, "Though, deep in the future, maybe I shall be the conquerer [sic] and live in multiple peace."

A ransom note found in the Ramsey home ended with the word "Victory!" and was signed "S.B.T.C." Authorities want to know whether those letters might stand for "shall be the conquerer" and whether they could have been written by the same person.

Bryan Frederick, who grew up with Karr in Hamilton, says the man making headlines doesn't sound like the boy he knew.

Frederick said Karr lived with his grandparents. His grandfather was a deacon at the church, and his grandmother was protective of the quiet, serious, sensitive youth.

Karr was an especially well-behaved kid, he said. Frederick, who was a bit older, hung around with Karr's older brother, Michael, and when the two of them would get into youthful "foolishness," Karr would refuse to participate. "He never had any play about him," he said.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/stories/0820metkarr.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13

CNN is reporting that the prisoners he has been housed with are saying that he told them his story isn't true.

JBean said:
CNN is reporting that the prisoners he has been housed with are saying that he told them his story isn't true.

Oh man, I missed that! I'm watching FOX. I don't know if I believe that though to be honest, why would he have a press conference and say he was there when she died, and then want to have ANOTHER press conference to tell reporters that he never said he drugged her, only to turn around and tell fellow inmates that his story wasn't true? UGH! I hate this.

Isnt it Ironic is name is John and his mom's is Patricia....:eek: As much as I hate to admit it, he probably is lying. I mean he was obsessed with Polly Klass's murder, maybe he has some fixation with wanting the attention like Richard Allen Davis got when he was caught, I dont know. Its sick to me and I say we hang them all that hurt children!!!

Buzzm1 said:
Karr was an especially well-behaved kid, he said. Frederick, who was a bit older, hung around with Karr's older brother, Michael, and when the two of them would get into youthful "foolishness," Karr would refuse to participate. "He never had any play about him," he said.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/stories/0820metkarr.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13

I mentioned the other day on some thread somewhere that maybe he wasn't speaking about Nate when he said his brother worked for JR. I did mention it could be possible he had another brother. It doesn't seem to me that Nate knows which end is up when it comes to his brother.

michelle said:
Isnt it Ironic is name is John and his mom's is Patricia....:eek: As much as I hate to admit it, he probably is lying. I mean he was obsessed with Polly Klass's murder, maybe he has some fixation with wanting the attention like Richard Allen Davis got when he was caught, I dont know. Its sick to me and I say we hang them all that hurt children!!!

Mark Klass called him something I can't remember his exact words so forgive me, but he called him something like, a pedophile dead girl groupie.

Bean, do you still think he will go to Boulder if this is substantiated or will they serve him with the outstanding warrant in Ca?

You're so good I thought you just must know the answer? BaHaaaaaa Haa Haa Haa :D

Actually I am so enjoying reading all these fascinating posts by some of the old timer JB posters and of course our regulars too.

I see Bluecrab even showed up today! :cool:

Scandi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288