Breastfeeding at 8 - OMG!!!

OK, for those that don't have or see a problem with it....

If I were to walk into my 7 yr olds room and tell her she could nurse, or suck on my boob, even though she hasn't done it since she was an infant....wouldn't that be abuse?

I'm not imaginative enough to make that leap. Breatsfeeding is not inappropriate sexual behavior.

ETA: I can envision a number of scenarios where offering your breast to an 8 year old would be inappropriate, but this isn't one of them.

Well, when it comes to abuse...I can.

I just noticed the tags on this thread....holy cow that's funny.

If it's for comfort, how about a hug instead? Or a blanket? Or stuffed animal? It's repulsive and it made me uncomfortable to watch. I know, I know, this isn't about ME or what makes me uncomfortable. But it's downright wrong. At the age of eight, some children (boys) already recognize *advertiser censored* as sexual objects!!

Oh, no. This is wrong and just invites ridicule for this child.

I worked in a daycare and this woman who just kept on poppin them out was breastfeeding her 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter. I thought it was disgusting but my boss wouldnt let me say anything

I nursed all 3 of my children, thought it was great for all of us, wouldn't have done anything else. None of mine breastfed past around 9-10 months - I just couldn't get them to stick with it once they started an occasional bottle and/or some baby food.

Anyway, I see no valid reason for an 8-year old to breastfeed unless she is impoverished and/or undernourished, for example, in a 3d world country. Even in that instance, I doubt the mother would be well-nourished enough herself to effectively breastfeed, but who knows?

I am not saying it is sexual necessarily, but it is simply not age-appropriate, in my book. There is no point in nursing a normal 8-year old that makes sense to me and many points against doing so, I think, including the potential for said child to be ridiculed.

I saw a six year ask her mother for some milk once and mommy whipped out her boob. The child actually took a few gulps while they were both standing up, in front of everyone! This was at a large social gathering. I will never forget the looks of astonishment in that room and how the other children teased that child for the rest of the day. Most of the adults tried to get their kids to keep quiet about it and not tease her but it didn't work. Every time our backs were turned we heard it going on. It was an incident I will never forget. Personally, in this case, I concluded Mommy was an attention seeker at her child's expense. I say if a kid is old enough to ask for breast milk or a new diaper in a complete (and grammatically correct) sentence, something's very wrong with the picture.

Eve

Well, when it comes to abuse...I can.

I just noticed the tags on this thread....holy cow that's funny.

ROFL :D

That made me think though that in the animal world they are kicked off the breast after a while, right? They aren't hanging around mom's teats for years, are they?!

If it's for comfort, how about a hug instead? Or a blanket? Or stuffed animal? It's repulsive and it made me uncomfortable to watch. I know, I know, this isn't about ME or what makes me uncomfortable. But it's downright wrong. At the age of eight, some children (boys) already recognize *advertiser censored* as sexual objects!!
I know that is a fact about some boys Shamrock, and that should alarm us way more than this one woman in Cumbria. :confused:

The video made me uncomfortable too. It made me uncomfortable because it is outside of my own personal "range" of what "I" deem appropriate. But does that make it universally inappropriate? The World Health Organization after looking at many cultural standards stated that weaning ages vary from 2 thru 7. The child in the video is 7 and about to turn 8. That puts this mom at the upper echelon of normal by global standards. It puts her way past "normal" by American standards.

Primates wean their offspring when they get their first permanent molars. In humans, that would be: 5.5-6.0 years.

Some pediatricians claim that length of gestation is approximately equal to length of nursing in many species, suggesting a weaning age of 9 months for humans. However, this relationship turns out to be affected by how large the adult animals are -- the larger the adults, the longer the length of breastfeeding relative to gestation. For chimpanzees and gorillas, the two primates closest in size to humans and also the most closely genetically related, the relationship is 6 to 1. That is to say, they nurse their offspring for SIX times the length of gestation (actually 6.1 for chimps and 6.4 for gorillas, with humans mid-way in size between these two). In humans, that would be: 4.5 years of nursing (six times the 9 months of gestation).

Most mammals wean their offspring when they have tripled their birth weight, suggesting a weaning age of 1 year in humans. Again though, this is affected by body weight, with larger mammals nursing their offspring until they have quadrupled their birth weight. In humans, quadrupling of birth weight occurs between 2.5 and 3.5 years, usually.
One study of primates showed that the offspring were weaned when they had reached about 1/3 their adult weight. This happens in humans at about 5-7 years.

A comparison of weaning age and sexual maturity in non-human primates suggests a weaning age of 6-7 for humans (about half-way to reproductive maturity).

Studies have shown that a child's immune system doesn't completely mature until about 6 years of age, and it is well established that breast milk helps develop the immune system and augment it with maternal antibodies as long as breast milk is produced (up to two years, no studies have been done on breast milk composition after two years post partum).

And on and on. The minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is 2.5 years, with a maximum of 7.0 years.

more at the link

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

I suspect it's a comfort for the child much like thumbsucking. My younger sister still snuck her thumb from time to time at that age.

This didn't gross me out and I don't think it's a sexual thing for one second.

What makes it laudable behavior there and gross behavior here?
sorry- you are simply wrong imo- regardless of your debating the issue- I wont even "listen" to your side
comfort my *advertiser censored**-- this is not acceptable- period the end- the problem here is the mother-this is not a third world country - look at the home they live in-- and tell me if this is for comfort for the child why the wacko "mother" did a fricking video of it and put it out for the world to see- how would you like to be that little girl going to school now? for Heavens sake- these 2 children are drawing pictures and have named her breasts-they both state they should never have to stop breastfeeding---its not about gross- its about wrong- for the children-
eta- lets try to keep this out of the to nurse or not debate- I think this is a different issue than discussing the pro's and cons of nursing-

I nursed all 4 of my babies and weaned them all by 15 months.
I am all about breastfeeding and I cringe when I see mothers who pick formula over breastfeeding (I am a snob about this subject, sorry) but this case is extreme!
My friend nursed her 5 year old and it made me uncomfortable. I think it crosses the line into sexual abuse even if the mother is not fully aware of it.
I know that sounds sick because I seriously doubt this mother is thinking about sex but somewhere deep down, it is there.

Ugh, I just don't know.
Me too! And I agree with others, this case is about the mother, not the children. So disgusting!!

I allowed both of my children to easily wean themselves, and it happened right at about 2 years old for both of them.

There ya go. In your case I can understand, but anytime past a year, or when they can manage a sippy cup is time to stop, even if you pump and put it in a cup.
My pediatrician disagreed with you. She fully supported my decision to allow my infants/toddlers to wean themselves. They both did it easily at about 2 years old for the one (who is now 6-6...good milk, I guess- hehe) and the other at about 20 months.

I know that is a fact about some boys Shamrock, and that should alarm us way more than this one woman in Cumbria. :confused:

The video made me uncomfortable too. It made me uncomfortable because it is outside of my own personal "range" of what "I" deem appropriate. But does that make it universally inappropriate? The World Health Organization after looking at many cultural standards stated that weaning ages vary from 2 thru 7. The child in the video is 7 and about to turn 8. That puts this mom at the upper echelon of normal by global standards. It puts her way past "normal" by American standards.

Primates wean their offspring when they get their first permanent molars. In humans, that would be: 5.5-6.0 years.

Some pediatricians claim that length of gestation is approximately equal to length of nursing in many species, suggesting a weaning age of 9 months for humans. However, this relationship turns out to be affected by how large the adult animals are -- the larger the adults, the longer the length of breastfeeding relative to gestation. For chimpanzees and gorillas, the two primates closest in size to humans and also the most closely genetically related, the relationship is 6 to 1. That is to say, they nurse their offspring for SIX times the length of gestation (actually 6.1 for chimps and 6.4 for gorillas, with humans mid-way in size between these two). In humans, that would be: 4.5 years of nursing (six times the 9 months of gestation).

Most mammals wean their offspring when they have tripled their birth weight, suggesting a weaning age of 1 year in humans. Again though, this is affected by body weight, with larger mammals nursing their offspring until they have quadrupled their birth weight. In humans, quadrupling of birth weight occurs between 2.5 and 3.5 years, usually.
One study of primates showed that the offspring were weaned when they had reached about 1/3 their adult weight. This happens in humans at about 5-7 years.

A comparison of weaning age and sexual maturity in non-human primates suggests a weaning age of 6-7 for humans (about half-way to reproductive maturity).

Studies have shown that a child's immune system doesn't completely mature until about 6 years of age, and it is well established that breast milk helps develop the immune system and augment it with maternal antibodies as long as breast milk is produced (up to two years, no studies have been done on breast milk composition after two years post partum).

And on and on. The minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is 2.5 years, with a maximum of 7.0 years.

more at the link

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Fascinating, Glow. Thanks for that link.

I've never had children of my own, but isn't breastmilk given to babies because they can't eat solid food yet? This 8 year old can obviously eat solid foods and I think it's gross for her to still be breastfeeding.

I wonder what psychological issues her and the sister will end up having - growing up naming and drawing pictures of your Mom's *advertiser censored*, and thinking your Mom's breasts are "yours". ?! Too bizarre, possessive and creepy, IMO.

Fascinating, Glow. Thanks for that link.
see now i disagreed with the start of glow's post. why should we be alarmed if a boy begins to reach puberty early? once a boy begins to reach puberty he will see the breast as a sex object. that is normal and natural. the breast are sex objects. yes they provide nourishment for a child at some points but they provide sexual pleasure for most women. breast can be both a item the mother uses to nurture her child and a object of sexual desire. as children age they should be able to see the difference. i am alarmed by those that claim the breast is not a sex object. to ignore the dual function the body part plays is not healthy imo.

I am going to show this to my dh. I TOLD him he was too old to breastfeed. But he carries those damn Oreos around looking for milk. shameful.

I've never had children of my own, but isn't breastmilk given to babies because they can't eat solid food yet? This 8 year old can obviously eat solid foods and I think it's gross for her to still be breastfeeding.

I wonder what psychological issues her and the sister will end up having - growing up naming and drawing pictures of your Mom's *advertiser censored*, and thinking your Mom's breasts are "yours". ?! Too bizarre, possessive and creepy, IMO.

In the video, the crazy person narrating said that breastmilk makes kids smarter.:waitasec::waitasec::waitasec: That may be the case, but I'd rather hire my kids a tutor at that age. Even if a parent wants to continue with having older children drink breastmilk, what the heck is wrong with a pump??? I think its got to mess up a kid to be suckling at that age.

I am going to show this to my dh. I TOLD him he was too old to breastfeed. But he carries those damn Oreos around looking for milk. shameful.

Now this is funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Jubie

I don't know what to say beyond that. People make all kinds of different choices for their kids. I don't even know what to think.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back