Brendan Dassey and False Confessions

oh oh oh funny you mention Blazer.....I read elsewhere that the bus driver in her initial interview said that she seen TH photographing the Blazer and the Blazer was parked near the bus stop. The Blazer was owned by BoD. I have to go back and see if we can find if that Blazer was ever photographed before the 31st, I can't remember if they say what kind of vehicles are in the photo's when the AutoTrader people testified.

If it was on Halloween and she was photographing the Blazer.... who asked her to do that?

Was BoD. Testimony that Steve had a blazer also for sale......
attachment.php

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...309/Jury-Trial-Transcript-Day-4-2007Feb15.pdf

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Exhibit-List.pdf

The Exhibit list shows pictures of cars shown to the auto trader employees. Just havent seen them myself. She was probably mistaken on days now that You said she said a blazer. I dont think the blazer was taken on the 10th tho. thought that was a grand prix?

yes it was the grand prix that was photographed on the 10th. I just went back to Angela's testimony, she talks about the pictures, but no mention of what vehicles they were.

Brendan Dassey Psych Eval - 2006 November 15

Excerpt added from above:

In summary, the present interview results, tests results, and review of collateral data show that Brendan is somewhat intellectually limited, passive, anxious, avoidant, and reserved. If he is presented with leading questions during an interview and/or presented with interrogative pressure, his personality, as shown by interview data, behavior during the police interview and interview by the present psychologist, research regarding adolescents and suggestibility, and current test data, is very susceptible to suggestibility.

Comment: Not one single thing in this report, to include the conclusion, is even remotely surprising.

Was this in the testimony? How could any lawyer worth anything not exploit this??

Was this in the testimony? How could any lawyer worth anything not exploit this??

Part of the problem with Dassey's defense was that the first two interviews, only part of the third interview and none of the last interview were played for the jury. Had the jury viewed all of the interviews they might have realized he was being coached with his answers by investigators. This report would have then bolstered his case. IMO the jury should have been shown every confession, not just the one the state felt benefitted their case most.

And doesn't it beg the question... If this could happen to a 16 year old, who else? And I'm not just talking about SA. If LE & the state were willing to put Brenden away knowing his confession was false what else are they willing to do? Or is that just me?

Did anyone else notice when the police asked Brendan why he thought Steven killed Teresa. He said something like...well he couldn't handle being out of prison and wanted to go back. That just struck me as so......I guess insightful would be the word I'm looking for. It just seemed like a strange thing for him to say compared to how he usually answered things. I don't know. I just wanted to see if that kind of stuck out to you guys also.

And doesn't it beg the question... If this could happen to a 16 year old, who else? And I'm not just talking about SA. If LE & the state were willing to put Brenden away knowing his confession was false what else are they willing to do? Or is that just me?

I was repulsed by how they questioned him.
Sure opened my eyes.

Gave a new meaning to keep your mouth shut!

I have no words!

Yeah, the more I read and listen to all this the more I think that. It's made me realize this could happen to anyone. The whole power corrupts saying is definitely true. It's scary.

Did anyone else notice when the police asked Brendan why he thought Steven killed Teresa. He said something like...well he couldn't handle being out of prison and wanted to go back. That just struck me as so......I guess insightful would be the word I'm looking for. It just seemed like a strange thing for him to say compared to how he usually answered things. I don't know. I just wanted to see if that kind of stuck out to you guys also.

The problem is he was so impressionable, there was too much not documented or videoed and he may have just be parroting the officers prior coaching or his families speculations.

With the way evidence was left out in the open for everybody to find after such a 'long' period of time actually made me seriously wonder if SA was having a hard time acclimating and wanted to get caught, or wouldn't mind if he did.. My only stop there was.. I'm sure there were a ton of other things he could have done that LE would have happily put him away for so why murder an innocent women and go through all that? He could have just left her body laying where she fell. Unless he's truly a psychopath and had been wanting to kill all his life so he thought I can do this and go exactly where I want to be. But for some reason that doesn't flow with all he's done from immediately after the crime and to now and his unwavering claim of innocence. Jmo

With the way evidence was left out in the open for everybody to find after such a 'long' period of time actually made me seriously wonder if SA was having a hard time acclimating and wanted to get caught, or wouldn't mind if he did.. My only stop there was.. I'm sure there were a ton of other things he could have done that LE would have happily put him away for so why murder an innocent women and go through all that? He could have just left her body laying where she fell. Unless he's truly a psychopath and had been wanting to kill all his life so he thought I can do this and go exactly where I want to be. But for some reason that doesn't flow with all he's done from immediately after the crime and to now and his unwavering claim of innocence. Jmo

Very true. He could have done anything to get put back in prison. I would just love to know if what Brendon said was coming from his own thoughts or something that was fed to him and he repeated it. I'll have to go back and reread. I might have missed it if the police said something like that while they talked to him.

Very true. He could have done anything to get put back in prison. I would just love to know if what Brendon said was coming from his own thoughts or something that was fed to him and he repeated it. I'll have to go back and reread. I might have missed it if the police said something like that while they talked to him.

I'll go back and check too. I'm sure they asked why SA was so angry or why he would do such a thing.

I'll go back and check too. I'm sure they asked why SA was so angry or why he would do such a thing.

They did. He came up with three different answers. One was that SA was mad at her because she didn't get his Blazer listed in Auto Trader one time.

They did. He came up with three different answers. One was that SA was mad at her because she didn't get his Blazer listed in Auto Trader one time.

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that, but I remember you guys talking about it now.

I like how you are doing your homework!

As far as Branden, the thought came to mind earlier ( I need to go to the proper thread)

Maybe initially, he easily could have alibied SA and LE knew this, hence the reason they pulled him from school and got to work on him?

Just a thought. LE didn't care who they took down, or how they did it.

Goal was to convict SA.
There's a lot of relevant info in the thread called "Bones" that intertwines with the Bonfire subject. I'm only about half-way through that thread, as I keep going off to check links in there, and I'm only researching this in small chunks each day -- it's a very addictive case with so many things to think about and so few good answers that came up in the trial info presented in the series.

So far I think I've learned that there were three places with bones found: the quarry, the Janda's 'burn thing' (I've forgotten the word?) and the pit outside Avery's trailer...though there are also suggestions that some bones were scattered around the pit?

The temperature to get roughly that state of cremains would be around 1400 to 2000 celsius for about five+ hours?

There were allegedly about five tires in the burn pit bonfire (judging from the steel parts leftover) and this is theorized (thread on reddit with people who said they had qualifications in this aspect of anthropology and fires) to not be enough to get a high enough temperature for these results.

It was an open, outside fire, possibly adding to the difficulty of reaching those temperatures in a 'bonfire' which just has random junk and a few tires. As an aside, I remember seeing a TV documentary that discussed early human cremation of the dead and a wood-based cremation pyre has to be huge....this burn pit was supposed to be the size of a dining table (in area).

Then we have the difficulty of, if it does reach high enough temperatures, how do you get close enough for going into the fire and breaking up the bones? It would take time for that temperature to cool down, yet we supposedly have three known sites where the remains turned up.

Then we have the problem of knowing which is the actual burn site, and the extra query of whether there's an additional unknown site?

The bones, according to the forensic anthropologist who did study the remains after they'd been removed from the site, said that there was no odor (or residue) of rubber on the bones...an odor which I think most people would imagine would be insidiously permeating anything in the same fire? And the tires all seem to be agreed by all sources to have been present on the bonfire. Yet, according to the same expert's testimony, the bone fragments did seem entangled with the steel remnants of the tires, and actually needed physically 'prising' from the steel parts. But the expert couldn't say for sure if that was because both body and tires were burned together or whether they were mixed together post-cremation/bonfire.

The overarching problem that permeates all of these questions is the extremely wanting evidence-gathering process and the documentation of that (photographs of the burn pit prior to excavation seem to be non-existent, the bones weren't removed with the oversight of a forensic anthropologist, etc).

On the other side, we do have the difficulty of a third party accessing that property unseen to dump the remains. The coincidence that they'd have found this recently used burn pit, used on the say of Miss Halbach's disappearance, no less! This could be explained, though, if the person who did this (IF it wasn't SA) wasn't an unusual visitor to the scrapyard and they went there when he was out, maybe when Barb Janda and her son were out at work, Brendan at school, etc?

The problem I am having with all of this is that I am left with some important questions at the end of the series. Where was Teresa killed? How did it all play out? I think that when the police got Brendan's [false] confession of how it all went down that they assumed they'd got a rational narrative (or they created one out of the confession and the existing circumstantial evidence they'd collected). But without that confession, we don't have an explanation for how everything played out and where it all took place...without that, it's very hard to say for certain, with no doubts whatsoever, that it was definitely SA who was responsible and to just ignore the missing answers.

I would really like to see everything, on all the various topics, laid out similarly to how I've done in the first half of this post, but with links and quotes, and see what fits together and what does, like a jigsaw puzzle, because there has to be a coherent picture of what happened to Teresa, and so much of that is obscured right now.

I like how you are doing your homework!

As far as Branden, the thought came to mind earlier ( I need to go to the proper thread)

Maybe initially, he easily could have alibied SA and LE knew this, hence the reason they pulled him from school and got to work on him?

Just a thought. LE didn't care who they took down, or how they did it.

Goal was to convict SA.

I have read that theory too dexter... he was SA's alibi for the night... that's why they went after him the way they did.

I wonder.... if his confessions at some point are deemed coerced.... can he go back to being SA's alibi?

I have read that theory too dexter... he was SA's alibi for the night... that's why they went after him the way they did.

I wonder.... if his confessions at some point are deemed coerced.... can he go back to being SA's alibi?

Even if he could I don't think they would want to use him as witness. He has a hard time articulating his words into answers. I do not think he would be a good witness for SA if he was tried again.

Even if he could I don't think they would want to use him as witness. He has a hard time articulating his words into answers. I do not think he would be a good witness for SA if he was tried again.
I don't know about that. I think he can articulate the truth far better than the lies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back